Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 2nd March 2005, 10:23   #81  |  Link
Didée

kassandro -
as it is currently written, that LUTxy command performs limiting on the Y plane only. U & V planes are passed through from RemoveDust just as they are. To do the same limiting for chroma, one would specify uexpr & vexpr with the same string as yexpr, and call U=3 & V=3 in the LUTxy comand. However when I tried that, I didn't see any remarkable visual difference. So I took the faster option with just passing chroma untouched.

Granted, that clip snipplet doesn't show all possible aspects. But then, that wasn't my aim. It is so that I really like RemoveDust in general. But there are motion characteristics where I don't like the plain RemoveDust at all, which held me back from using it. The most important one is just this: loss of detail in *slowly* moving areas. If motion is slow, then detail loss is easily noiticeable. In high motion, it's much less of a problem.
And so I just took a random example that showed the problem I'm mostly concerned about. It wasn't meant at all to be a "general" comparison.

Then, one could see such "hard limiting" as a poor technique. In fact it is, because it's just a dumb "cutting-off the effect". But looking at it from another angle, one could say as well like this: Generally, RemoveDust does the right thing. But in certain cases, it just does too much. Therefore, if limiting the effect to rather low values still is able to remove the noise/grain we want to remove, then there is no need to do any more. Or, in other words: The filter is working in the right direction, but is working too diligent. We better tell it where to stop.

Keeping in mind that all of this is working without true motion compensation, I think that this is a really great filter combination for noise and grain removal. And I could imagine that it gets even more impressing when combined with motion compensation, even if the incredible speed is lost then. Alas I've currently not enough free time to look into that. perhaps someone might want to try that.

Valky:

Just try it and see for yourself. Not that difficult, it's just a few lines.
Very roughly from memory: Together with XviD encoding, I got ~5fps for PixieDust and ~20fps for LRemoveDust. LRemoveDust encoding was only marginally slower than without any filtering - XviD was the most limiting factor, there.
For plain rendering without encoding, (L)RemoveDust is in the range of 8~10 times faster than PixieDust. Regarding *that* difference in performance, I think the results are so close to PixieDust, it's almost impertinent

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)

Last edited by Didée; 2nd March 2005 at 10:25.
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2005, 15:15   #82  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Didée,

would it be possible to make a YUY2 version of LRemoveDust? It seems very interesting but would require converting to YV12 and then back to YUY2 to feed to CCE.
Old 2nd March 2005, 16:25   #83  |  Link
Didée

Yes and no. Kassandro's RemoveDust function supports YUY2 natively (in fact, it supports all colorspaces, afaik). But the limiting for LRemoveDust is done through MaskTool's "yv12lutxy" ... the name says it all. Because of that, at least for doing luma limiting there's no way to avoid the yuy2->yv12->yuy2 journey (unless someone codes a plugin for that). However, passing through the untouched "original" yuy2 color planes (as produced by RemoveDust, without limiting) is perfectly possible, with a small speed penalty.

If I made no error (you know ... writing a script without possibility to test it), the following should do it:

Code:
function LRemoveDust(clip input, int _mode, int "limit")
{
limit   = default(limit,4)
LL      = string(limit)
STR     = "x "+LL+" + y < y "+LL+" - x "+LL+" - y > y "+LL+" + x ? ?"
repmode = 2
clensed = Clense(input)
rep     = Repair(clensed, input, mode=repmode)
rg      = RemoveGrain(rep, mode=_mode)
trep    = TemporalRepair(rg, rep)
trep2   = isyuy2(input)
 \      ? trep.converttoyv12()
 \      : trep
input2  = isyuy2(input)
 \      ? input.converttoyv12()
 \      : input
limit!=0 ? yv12lutxy(trep2,input2,yexpr=STR,U=2,V=2) : last
out     = isyuy2(input) 
 \      ? last.converttoyuy2().mergechroma(trep) 
 \      : last
return out
}
But even if it's correct, still no support for RGB input. Sorry tmpeg users :|

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Old 2nd March 2005, 16:27   #84  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Thanks a bunch, I'll have to try it on my next capture tomorrow

EDIT: A quick test shows it works, at least no errors pop up

Last edited by Boulder; 2nd March 2005 at 16:30.
Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2005, 22:12   #85  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

I did some tests and found LRemoveDust wonderful! The YUY2 version is quite a bit slower (something like 0.29RT vs. 0.44RT), and I noticed that conversion to YV12 and back to YUY2 (and then back to YV12 in the encoder) is not noticable with TV captures so I ended up using the original function. LRemoveDust keeps details in motion better than RemoveGrain().RemoveDirt() so it looks like it'll become the next allround filter for my analogue captures -- at least till kassandro updates RemoveDirt
Old 4th March 2005, 11:08   #86  |  Link
kassandro

Quote:
Originally posted by Boulder
I did some tests and found LRemoveDust wonderful! The YUY2 version is quite a bit slower (something like 0.29RT vs. 0.44RT)
Yes, the YUY2 and RGB versions are of RemoveGrain etc. are a lot slower. I use a very simple class to separate the components of interleaved color space into planes such that I can apply the same functions as for YV12. Though I have written the interleaved2planar and planar2interleaved routines in C, I am quite surprised about the enormous slow down. I knew this for quite while, but didn't yet investigate the cause. Both conversions shouldn't be much slower than a bitblt operation. I should be able to privide faster assembly routines at least for YUY2. On the other hand, in RemoveDust and LRemoveDust filters from RemoveGrain/Repair are used several times and thus one has several times the interleaved2planar and planar2interleaved routines, which is simply stupid. If there would be planar versions of YUY2, RGB, RGB32 in Avisynth we wouldn't have these problems. We would simply convert to planar at the beginning of the script and back to interleaved at the end. Converting to YV12 and then back to YUY2 is not a good idea, because it blurs the chroma quite a bit. But Boulder, I do not understand, why you need YUY2 output. It could only be for CCE which wants to have YUY2 input although it produces YV12 output. This makes only sense if the higher resolution YUY2 chroma is used for searching motion vectors or a combined luma/chroma motion vector search is employed, but I doubt that CCE is doing that.

When I did my first analog capture recently, I saw that when using RemoveGrain with AVIsource, VdubMod crashes upon exit. I had the same problem with RemoveDirt once. The probable reason is that I didn't deallocate some objects properly and AVISource doesn't like that. This is a bug of AVIsource as well and I recommended to fix it long ago, because under certain circumstances objects cannot be deallocated. This is certainly not a serious problem and it will be fixed with the next version of RemoveGrain in the summer.

YV12LUTxy is a very useful, reasonably fast and also very smart (because of using look up tables) filter, which should be made internal, but in LRemoveDust it can be replaced by the much faster LimitChange. However, when I tested an optimised version two days ago it didn't work anymore, but I hope to post an inofficial version next weekend, which should speed up LRemoveDust a little. It will also come with a modified inofficial version of Clense, which then can be used together with mvtools to provide a slow, motion compensated version of RemoveDust. It should reduce motion blurring considerably but also worsen compression.

Quote:
-- at least till kassandro updates RemoveDirt
Probably by the end of the month. I am testing right now.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 11:20   #87  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally posted by kassandro
Converting to YV12 and then back to YUY2 is not a good idea, because it blurs the chroma quite a bit.
With analogue captures it's OK because there is a substantial amount of chroma noise.
Quote:
But Boulder, I do not understand, why you need YUY2 output. It could only be for CCE which wants to have YUY2 input although it produces YV12 output. This makes only sense if the higher resolution YUY2 chroma is used for searching motion vectors or a combined luma/chroma motion vector search is employed, but I doubt that CCE is doing that.
I think the main reason is that Cinema Craft doesn't want people screwing up things badly and then say that the program is crap. There's a thread about the whole thing somewhere in the CCE forum. It is a real shame they don't support direct YV12 input.
Quote:
Probably by the end of the month. I am testing right now.
That's good news
Old 4th March 2005, 12:07   #88  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

I just had a walk with the dog and this thought came to my mind:

1)source is YUY2
2)convert to YV12
3)use LRemoveDust_YV12, enable greyscale mode for even faster processing
4)convert to YUY2
5)put the original chroma information back
6)denoise the chroma (CNR2)

This way there would be no loss, right? Since luma noise is much more easily seen by the human eye, it wouldn't matter if chroma wasn't processed by LRemoveDust and you can use other plugins like CNR2, which is also fast, for that.
Old 4th March 2005, 15:20   #89  |  Link
kassandro

Quote:
I just had a walk with the dog and this thought came to my mind:

1)source is YUY2
2)convert to YV12
3)use LRemoveDust_YV12, enable greyscale mode for even faster processing
4)convert to YUY2
5)put the original chroma information back
6)denoise the chroma (CNR2)

This way there would be no loss, right? Since luma noise is much more easily seen by the human eye, it wouldn't matter if chroma wasn't processed by LRemoveDust and you can use other plugins like CNR2, which is also fast, for that.
Yes, you can do that.

Actually, I can outwit Avisynth's color space limitations. For Avisynth a planar YUY2 frame will look just like an ordinary interleaved YUY2. However, the information is organized differently on the planar YUY2 frames. Say, you have a 720x576 interleaved YUY2 frame. Then the first byte is the luma of the first pixel, the second byte ist the U value of pixels 1 and 2, the third byte is luma of pixel 2 and the 4th byte is the V value for pixels 1 and 2 and then it goes on with pixels 3 and 4, etc. On a planar YUY2 frame, you have first the 720 luma values of the first line, then the 360 U values of the line and finally the 360 V values of the line. Thus I have only rearranged the values of the pixel lines, but any yv12 filter could handle such frames with only tiny changes just like yv12 frames. However, ordinary spatial YUY2 filters like a horzontal crop would be very destructive (a vertical crop wouldn't hurt) for such frames. Temporal filters, which treat luma and chroma equally could be applied to planar and interleaved YUY2 in the same way.
Old 6th March 2005, 06:01   #90  |  Link
kassandro

motion compensated RemoveDust

Here is my motion compensated RemoveDust:
Code:
function MCRemoveDust(clip input, int _smooth, bool _grey)
{
	repmode = 2
	clmode = 4
	quad = Quadruple(input) # each pixel is quadrupled, SSETools are needed
	qpel = RemoveGrain(quad, mode=12, modeU=-1) # blur the luma for searching motion vectors
	bvectors = MVAnalyse(qpel, blksize=16, lambda=200, isb=true)
	fvectors = MVAnalyse(qpel, blksize=16, lambda=200, isb=false)
	backward = MVCompensate(quad, bvectors)
	forward = MVCompensate(quad, fvectors)
	clensed = mcclense(quad, backward, forward, grey=_grey).shrinkby2(grey=_grey) #SSETools are needed for shrinking
	rep=Repair(clensed, input, mode=repmode, modeU=_grey ? -1 : repmode)
	rg = RemoveGrain(rep, mode=clmode, modeU=_grey ? -1 : clmode)
	return TemporalRepair(rg, rep, grey=_grey, smooth=_smooth)
}
You need MVTools 0.9.9.1 and the following inofficial plugins. It contains a new inofficial version of RemoveGrain (a special version of clense for motion compensation has been added) and of SSETools (no documentation). SSETools contains also a filter LimitChange, which can be used for a faster version of Didee's LRemoveDust:
Code:
{
limit=default(limit,4)
repmode = 2
clensed = Clense(input)
rep=Repair(clensed, input, mode=repmode)
rg = RemoveGrain(rep, mode=_mode)
rd=TemporalRepair(rg, rep)
return LimitChange(rd, input, limit, limitU=255)
}
Here is a version which also "limits" the chroma:
Code:
{
limit=default(limit,4)
repmode = 2
clensed = Clense(input)
rep=Repair(clensed, input, mode=repmode)
rg = RemoveGrain(rep, mode=_mode)
rd=TemporalRepair(rg, rep)
return LimitChange(rd, input, limit)
}

Last edited by kassandro; 6th March 2005 at 06:03.
Old 6th March 2005, 09:28   #91  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

That's a nice one, got another capture coming in later today so I guess it's time to play
Old 6th March 2005, 16:32   #92  |  Link
kassandro

Sorry, Boulder. Something must have gone wrong here. I just ran a test and it turned out, that MCRemoveDust gives exactly the same as RemoveDust. There must be misunderstanding of the MVTools on my side.
Old 6th March 2005, 23:35   #93  |  Link
kassandro

Unfortunately, the Filter mcclense, part of a slightly changed RemoveGrain plugin, was working exactly as clense, whence MCRemoveDust did work exactly as the RemoveDust. I have now uploaded a corrected and tested version. The script function remains unchanged. I did a test with a short 5500 frames part of a fairly clean black&white movie from 1952. Motion was definitely sharper as with the original RemoveDust. On the other hand in such old movies motion is always blurred a little. Thus this video was not very suitable for MCRemoveDust. Here are the compression results:
Code:
MCRemoveDust    18.896.476 Bytes
RemoveDust      18.791.986 Bytes
Thus with motion compensation one looses only 0.6%, which is very cheap for a significant improvement in quality. Unfortunately, encoding time roughly tripled with MCRemoveDust, where XviD was used with all advanced features except GMC. More detailed results will be posted within the next weeks.
Old 8th March 2005, 13:09   #94  |  Link
kassandro

new comparison

I just made a comparison with a high quality source from 2002 (63958 frames, 720x576, with ogg vorbis audio):
Code:
unfiltered   347.059.657 Bytes
RemoveDust   284.028.286 Bytes    
MCRemoveDust 280.028.971 Bytes
LRemoveDust  297.983.847 Bytes
This time MCRemoveDust is ahead of RemoveDust by about 1.5% and contains visibly more detail in moving parts of a frame.
Because the source contained relatively little grain and was virtually dirt free, the compression gain was only 18.2% with RemoveDust and 19.3% with MCRemoveDust, less than half what I experience in the average with my usually much older films.
Encoding time with MCRemoveDust was a little bit more than two times the encoding time with RemoveDust.
Using LRemoveDust (should be identical with Didee's version) the output is 6.4% larger than with MCRemoveDust. The comparison with LRemoveDust is a little bit unfair, because it uses TemporalRepair with smooth=0, the default value, but RemoveDust, MCRemoveDust use smooth=1, but the impact should not be very significant (1-2%), because TemporalRepair only corrects the spatial denoiser RemoveGrain, such that it cannot touch (temporally) static pixels.

Last edited by kassandro; 8th March 2005 at 19:29.
Old 8th March 2005, 14:29   #95  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

How does LRemoveDust (luma only) compare? Using MCRemoveDust is unfortunately out of my league since the encoding time is already quite long and I can't run the computer overnight. However, it could be used on shorter clips and the result first saved in lossless format to speed up the encoding to the final format.
Old 8th March 2005, 19:30   #96  |  Link
kassandro

Quote:
How does LRemoveDust (luma only) compare? Using MCRemoveDust is unfortunately out of my league since the encoding time is already quite long and I can't run the computer overnight. However, it could be used on shorter clips and the result first saved in lossless format to speed up the encoding to the final format.
I just finished the test with LRemoveDust and added the results to the above posting. I will run one more test with a much grainy source from the early nineties. Here the differences should be bigger.
Old 9th March 2005, 02:30   #97  |  Link
vigi_lante

Sorry, but I can't get LRemoveDust to work. This is my script...

Code:
LoadPlugin("c:\filters\decomb521.DLL")
LoadPlugin("c:\filters\RemoveGrainS.dll")
LoadPlugin("c:\filters\RepairS.dll")
Import("c:\filters\LRemoveDust.avs")

AviSource("c:\capture (2005-03-08 at 00-05-53).avi")

Trim(0,7322)

Telecide(order=1,post=0)
Decimate(cycle=5,mode=2)

ConvertToYV12()

LRemoveDust()
The LRemoveDust code is inside LRemoveDust.avs

Is there anything wrong ?
vigi_lante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 03:24   #98  |  Link
vigi_lante

OK. I got LRemoveDust to work with this...

Code:
LoadPlugin("c:\filters\decomb521.DLL")
LoadPlugin("c:\filters\RemoveGrainS.dll")
LoadPlugin("c:\filters\RepairS.dll")
LoadPlugin("c:\filters\MaskTools156.dll")
Import("c:\filters\LRemoveDust.avs")

AviSource("c:\capture (2005-03-08 at 00-05-53).avi")

Trim(0,7322)

Telecide(order=1,post=0)
Decimate(cycle=5,mode=2)

ConvertToYV12()

LRemoveDust(4,2)

Quote:
Just try it and see for yourself. Not that difficult, it's just a few lines.
Very roughly from memory: Together with XviD encoding, I got ~5fps for PixieDust and ~20fps for LRemoveDust. LRemoveDust encoding was only marginally slower than without any filtering - XviD was the most limiting factor, there.
For plain rendering without encoding, (L)RemoveDust is in the range of 8~10 times faster than PixieDust. Regarding *that* difference in performance, I think the results are so close to PixieDust, it's almost impertinent
Well, I using an AthlonXP 2400+ and LRemoveDust speed was not even 2 times faster than PixieDust(5).

I wonder what is wrong...

Last edited by vigi_lante; 9th March 2005 at 03:49.
vigi_lante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 09:00   #99  |  Link
Didée

The question was:
Quote:
Originally posted by vigi_lante
Well, I using an AthlonXP 2400+ and LRemoveDust speed was not even 2 times faster than PixieDust(5).

I wonder what is wrong...
The answer is:
Quote:
Code:
Telecide(order=1,post=0)
Decimate(cycle=5,mode=2)
The promised acceleration values for a car don't hold up when the car is pulling a caravan.

Old 9th March 2005, 09:01   #100  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

It should be faster, I do it like this:

org=last
ConverttoYV12()
LRemoveDust(4,2)
GreyScale()
ConverttoYUY2()
MergeChroma(org)

and it's still much faster than PixieDust. I have tweaked the function so that only luma is processed by adding the necessary grey=true and modeU=-1 parameters where needed, but the difference shouldn't be too big.

Then again, I have a SSE2 CPU which gives a nice boost thanks to kassandro's optimizations

EDIT: Didée's right..if you've tried using PixieDust in your IVTC script, it will show you what slow is

Last edited by Boulder; 9th March 2005 at 09:18.
Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote