Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 9th February 2023, 08:49   #1  |  Link
anton_foy

Computer for Avs+ and Resolve

Hi all, I'd like your suggestions on which components you would recommend for my new computer setup.
My primary use will be AviSynth+ (maybe even VapourSynth) and Davinci Resolve mainly with UHD resolution video.

As the new ML runtime filters, RIFE and others are available in Avs+ now (thanks to ASD-G) I think I would need a pretty good graphics card, good cpu and some decent amount of RAM. Max price (Im in Sweden btw.)
for the comp (just the computer, no monitor, mouse, keyboard) is around EUR 1700.

Maybe you have a newer setup using the same software that you would recommend?

Many thanks!
anton_foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2023, 11:49   #2  |  Link
DTL

For video processing it is better to have serious Workstation (it is typically equipped with 1 or 2 Xeons around Gold series with good multichannel memory controller and AVX512) and something like pro-level NVIDIA.

For poor-people it may be something like intel-11 with still working AVX512 (or new AMD 7xxx series with already (partial performance) support of AVX512) and some NVIDIA or AMD card with support of new shaders and DX12-ME (hardware MPEG encoder). Also as I see RIFE very like to eat HWAcc resources so even mid-201x 6 GB card is very small to run even about 4 AVS threads of FullHD. So if you like to process 4K it may be required > 10 GB card.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2023, 00:30   #3  |  Link
anton_foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL View Post
For video processing it is better to have serious Workstation (it is typically equipped with 1 or 2 Xeons around Gold series with good multichannel memory controller and AVX512) and something like pro-level NVIDIA.

For poor-people it may be something like intel-11 with still working AVX512 (or new AMD 7xxx series with already (partial performance) support of AVX512) and some NVIDIA or AMD card with support of new shaders and DX12-ME (hardware MPEG encoder). Also as I see RIFE very like to eat HWAcc resources so even mid-201x 6 GB card is very small to run even about 4 AVS threads of FullHD. So if you like to process 4K it may be required > 10 GB card.
Thank you DTL! But a sort of server based workstation?
Old 11th February 2023, 01:46   #4  |  Link
DTL

How Workstation is looks you may see at HP or may be Dell and others. It is desktop-like case with not very noisy coolers so can be used near workplace (not placed in rack in special cooled machine room).

Like https://www.hp.com/us-en/workstation...tation-pc.html
High-End Desktops Z4..Z8 models.

It typically equipped with workstation-class motherboard (quick enough boot and not too much loaded with networking as server-class). But CPU are full-blood Xeons available and good enough number of memory channels and ECC SDRAM.

New is easily go out of your budget - so may be look for secondhand from some companies upgrades if available. Typically good workstation is build to last very long.

Last edited by DTL; 11th February 2023 at 01:56.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2023, 11:34   #5  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL View Post
How Workstation is looks you may see at HP or may be Dell and others.
Yeah, I still have an old HP Z840 (bought in January 2016) which is still alive and kicking with its 20c/40th Intel Xeon E5 2640 v4 2.40GHz, 64 GB of RAM, NVIDIA Quadro P5000 and 3 x 1TB Samsung Evo SSD.
It's feeling the years as time passes, mostly the Quadro as it's beginning to lack modern decoding codecs and even in encoding it's limited (like it can only encode H.265 at 8bit for instance with NVEnc and I have to use x265 for 10bit and 12bit), but it's still fine for my day-to-day activities. The only thing you can be sure about is that those machines last for years and years and they're just built to work. They're computer-shaped, of course, so they look like normal computers

but the motherboard, the dual socket CPUs etc are essentially like a server, which is why they're called "workstation".

Bonus bit, here's a room I spend most of my time in at work full of those workstations: Link
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2023, 12:53   #6  |  Link
anton_foy

Great info DTL and FranceBB But do you think building it myself is a bad option? I mean order the parts and assemble.
Old 11th February 2023, 13:38   #7  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton_foy View Post
do you think building it myself is a bad option? I mean order the parts and assemble.
You can do that, it's just a matter of getting the right dual socket motherboard, CPU, case etc.
Nothing is gonna stop you from building one yourself, of course and you will probably still save a few bucks. I can't deep dive into the individual components right now 'cause I'm at work and also 'cause mine are a bit outdated, but yeah, sure, you can build one yourself.
By the way, it's nice that DTL and I were the first to reply with professional Intel + NVIDIA configs, but beware, this topic might get soon filled with AMD die-hard supporters ehehehehehe

Jokes aside, AMD is slowly but surely closing the gap time after time and the new Epyc CPUs could make you save a bit of money, so in the end it's up to you.
Me, personally, if I was to make a build today, I would still go for a dual socket motherboard with two Intel Xeon with AVX-512. If price is an issue, I would just put an high end single one in there and then after a year or two put a second identical CPU in the second CPU slot of the dual socket mobo.
Anyway, if you're hoping for a full config, I might come up with one, but definitely not now as I'm a bit busy debugging some supply chains here at work (yes, I'm in the office even though it's Saturday, wu-hooo DX)
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2023, 18:42   #8  |  Link
kolak

I would go with as high clock as possible.
Those Xeons are typically good for many tasks, but they have lower clocks and fact you can have 1TB of RAM is rather meaningless for you.
My 10 cores overclocked i9 is in many cases better than 2x16 cores Xeons at 2.4GHz. There are not many tasks/apps which can scale linearly with more than even 8 cores.

I always argue that for "home" usage 8 cores at 4GHz is waaaay better than 16 cores ar 2GHz.

For GPU - as good GTX 3x/4x series as you can afford (specially for Resolve). 1700 euro is not that much.

Last edited by kolak; 11th February 2023 at 19:16.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2023, 18:18   #9  |  Link
anton_foy

Great replies! Yeah the option of adding two cpus is good. Many thanks FranceBB for your full config offer! Just feel im a bit lost in component space and need guidance. Thank you Kolak this aspect shoves it into another perspective I guess about longevity?
Old 13th February 2023, 22:07   #10  |  Link
kolak

Longevity? 3 years and things already get outdated. 5 years and you suffer a lot.
3 years old 12K$ Mac Pro is today replaced by 3K$ Studio which in many cases is even more powerful.
Don't go into 2 CPU setup- this is for enterprise and gets very quickly outdated as well.
If you want that try hunting sales on eBay etc. as big places replace such a machines in bulk and then you can get them fairly cheap.
Otherwise I would not invest in it.

Last edited by kolak; 13th February 2023 at 22:13.
Old 14th February 2023, 00:19   #11  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Puget Systems is a goldmine of information. They have an excellent reputation for doing extremely stable purpose-built workstations, and do lots of blog posts about it. They also share which components they use so you can roll your own

https://www.pugetsystems.com/solutio...vinci-resolve/

Last edited by Blue_MiSfit; 14th February 2023 at 00:21.
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2023, 12:23   #12  |  Link
anton_foy

Great thanks Kolak and Blue_MiSfit
Regarding longevity, I bought my current computer and assembled in 2013 So yes now it is pretty outdated.

Those Puget's are POWERFUL! A bit TOO much over my price range though but I will look into the components section.

Edit: @kolak, would you mind sharing which setup you have now? CPU, RAM, graphics card etc.? Curious.

Last edited by anton_foy; 15th February 2023 at 19:32.
Old 15th February 2023, 21:58   #13  |  Link
kolak

I use Mac at home as I don't do any processing.
At work it's Supermicro servers (processing nodes) + single i9 'gaming' machine which I use for remote work (editing, development, etc.). It's all in datacenter.