Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd September 2021, 03:26   #321  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
By the way, a new version of one core api has been released: https://github.com/Skulltrail192/One-Core-API-Binaries/
Remind me again what One Core API does?
Old 22nd September 2021, 08:30   #322  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Boundary View Post
Remind me again what One Core API does?
Provides new kernel functions so that programs that make use of new APIs will run on XP.
So far compatibility is Vista and (almost) 7.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2021, 00:09   #323  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
Provides new kernel functions so that programs that make use of new APIs will run on XP.
So far compatibility is Vista and (almost) 7.
Ah, so in this case, we're talking about allowing modern, unforked versions of Firefox and Chrome to run on XP. Excellent suggestion.

I remember losing interest in the project, but couldn't remember exactly why. Now I do: it doesn't allow XP to run on modern hardware and it doesn't allow win7 to run XP programs (like Premiere Pro 2.0). But as more and more programs that need to be updated all the fucking time or they won't work (web browsers, Steam, World of Warcraft etc.) drop XP support, I can see One Core API becoming a lot more useful.
Old 24th November 2021, 09:59   #324  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Microsoft makes free Windows 11 Enterprise virtual machine available for download

The 20GB download features an evaluation copy of Windows 11 and much more.

Microsoft has made available a free Windows 11 Enterprise virtual machine for download. Aimed at developers, Microsoft says, "Start building Windows applications quickly by using a virtual machine with the latest versions of Windows, the developer tools, SDKs, and samples ready to go."

There's a lot packed into this download:

Window 11 Enterprise (evaluation)
Windows 10 SDK, version 2004 (10.0.19041.0)
Visual Studio 2019 (latest as of 10/09/21) with the UWP, .NET desktop, and Azure workflows enabled and includes the Windows Template Studio extension.
Visual Studio Code (latest as of 10/09/21)
Windows Subsystem for Linux enabled with Ubuntu installed
Developer mode enabled
Windows Terminal installed

According to Microsoft, these virtual machines will expire on 01/09/22.

Microsoft has made downloads available for VMWare, Hyper-V, VirtualBox and Parallels versions of the virtual machine, and they can all be downloaded directly from Microsoft.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...-for-download/

20GB a bit big for me, I aint gonna download it.

EDIT:
Quote:
Attackers don’t bother brute-forcing long passwords, Microsoft engineer says

According to data collected by Microsoft’s network of honeypot servers, most brute-force attackers primarily attempt to guess short passwords, with very few attacks targeting credentials that are either long or contain complex characters.

“I analysed the credentials entered from over >25 million brute force attacks against SSH. This is around 30 days of data in Microsoft’s sensor network,” said Ross Bevington, a security researcher at Microsoft.

“77% of attempts used a password between 1 and 7 characters. A password over 10 characters was only seen in 6% of cases,” said Bevington, who works as Head of Deception at Microsoft, a position in which he’s tasked with creating legitimate-looking honeypot systems in order to study attacker trends.
https://therecord.media/attackers-do...engineer-says/

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 24th November 2021 at 10:04.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2021, 21:19   #325  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Windows 11 crippling NVMe SSD speeds according to multiple user reports
https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-...-user-reports/

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
Old 9th December 2021, 21:36   #326  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

Good that I don't plan to abandon Win7 in foreseeable future.
SssS, didn't you converted to Win10 sect?
VoodooFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2021, 00:06   #327  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I got one desktop, two 2-in-1 type laptop/tablet thingies, and two [currently working order - & a couple of knackered ones] tablets on W10.
None on W11, (unless I hear that W11 has abandoned all the W10 spyware stuff - I aint anticipating that happening).
[1 desktop on W7 and another on XP - all desktops with Linux Mint partitions, and 2-in-1's with boot to linux on {thumbnail} USB stick].
Main desktop also with boot to linux mint on 80GB 2.5 inch drive via Hard drive dock
[for emergency fix stuff - other desktops may have same added at some point - they each have an external HD dock].
EDIT: About 4 or 5 spare OS partitions on nvme SSD, one was occupied with Server 2019 for a while but currently vacant.
EDIT: Was [still is at some point] gonna install Android x86 on main machine partition, wanna be able to use some android apps from desktop,
although if it is gonna require loadsa android partitions, I'll probably just install on hard drive via HD dock .

Last edited by StainlessS; 10th December 2021 at 00:37.
Old 22nd January 2022, 17:38   #328  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Heads up, ReactOS goes to v0.4.14, [DEC 2021]
https://reactos.org/
more than a year since last update.

I updated all linux to Mint Uma v20.3,
I was a bit dubious of updating my No1 machine emergency 2.5" harddrive dock boot linux mint,
as I've updated my Hard drive dock, was not sure if would continue to boot OK, but no problems encountered.
Old dock (single bay Dynamode, cheap and cheerfull @ about £16.00 ex VAT, way more more expensive on some sites eg £50.00 on e-bay),
new dock, £31 FIDECO Aluminum Hard Drive Docking Station, USB 3.0 Docking Station for 2.5 and 3.5 inch SATA HDD or SSD, Support Offline Clone and 2x 16TB Hard Drives
https://www.amazon.co.uk/FIDECO-Dock...2868368&sr=8-3
Nice dock. My dynamode had problems with [multiple] 3TB Hitatchi hard drives, ok if boot and drive in dock switched on, but
if switch on dock when OS [W10 EDIT: or linux mint] already up and running, then no auto detect of dock drive, if in Drive Management, 'rescan drives' then detect ok, but not automatic.
New dock, says support up to 16TB[I dont have anything that big], so I thought I'de give it a try, and all AOK, no probs at all and auto detect just fine.
So, the Fideco now becomes my favourite dock of 4 [dynamode prev favourite was actually the cheapest of the lot].
The Fideco has a USB 'charge port', I thought it would also work as a USB device port but no, dont work for eg USB flash drive,
maybe I would have gotten the model with SD card interface if I had known the port was charge only, but not really disappointed much by that.
The [2 bay] Fideco dock is actually smaller footprint than the single bay Dynamode, quite dinky really, only real qualm is that you have to look down on it from above to see the active drive LED's, whereas Dynamode [and my other two docks] LED's are visible from anywhere. Maybe I need find some kind of mini lens [EDIT: or diffuser] and glue them over the tiny LED lights.

EDIT: [edit: My Fideco was £31] As well as the other Fideco model [£35] with 2 USB3 ports and an SD card port [+ 1 micro SD port I think], there is also a model [£25] without USB/SD card ports.
EDIT: The model I got was aluminium + some ABS plastic, I think the other 2 Fideco models are ABS plastic only, but do check yourself if interested.

EDIT: The fideco drive I bought has average 4.5 / 5.0 stars Amazon rating from 860 reviews, so I'm not alone in my appraisal,
if LED lamps were a bit more visible I would give it 5 stars. [I probably will give 5 stars when I rate it as 4.5 stars is not an option
and 4 stars is not a fair rating].

Last edited by StainlessS; 23rd January 2022 at 10:09.
Old 2nd February 2022, 22:07   #329  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

This makes me wanna heave Argh !
Google and Microsoft back new industry initiative to fix open-source vulnerabilities
https://siliconangle.com/2022/02/01/...lnerabilities/

Warra bout the spyware and other sh1t in M$ offerings, take that nasty stuff outa there first M$.
(and block the Intel spyware too, NSA and USA government will not use it, why the f*** do we havta put up with that shit )

NSA has not been able to successfully [well for very long] been able to infiltrate/pollute linux source,
me is guessin' that this is the next NSA plot to lever its way in.

The reasons for M$ takeover of Github becoming gradually less hazy.
Maybe time for open source shift to new home, in less Orwellian country.

Last edited by StainlessS; 3rd February 2022 at 05:49.
Old 31st May 2022, 03:08   #330  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

File blocking by windows of downloaded files, has been mentioned before on-site. eg Avisynth dll's blocked from working by OS.

Fix via GPEdit.msc (global policies) on pro versions of windows can stop files being blocked.

Here is pair of registry editing files to do the same on non pro versions of Windows [works on W7 and W10, others unknown].

Prevent OS blocking of downloaded files.
ENABLE_DoNotPreserveZoneInformationInFileAttachments_(FileBlockingIsDisabled).reg
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments]
"SaveZoneInformation"=dword:00000001
Restore OS blocking of downloaded files.
DISABLE_DoNotPreserveZoneInformationInFileAttachments_(FileBlockingIsReEnabled).reg
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments]
"SaveZoneInformation"=dword:00000000
Here showing what the problem looks like in file Properties, and how to fix a single or multiple files using NirSoft AlternateStreamsView.
(also shows Global Policy [GpEdit.msc] fix)
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...09#post1872609

And a site showing the registry fix for W7.
https://superuser.com/questions/1674...opening-a-file

I Also found similar fix for W10 at another site,
https://winaero.com/disable-download...in-windows-10/

Anyways I hate that stuff, I just found hundreds of files all blocked and possible source of many head scratching problems.
(I think I have it switched off on W7 Pro with GPEdit.msc, but not W10 Home)

EDIT: The values set for SaveZoneInformation seem back-to-front, but that's the way it works.
EDIT: Applies only for current user.
EDIT: From above last link comment, also works for Vista.

EDIT: From last link above,
Quote:
Phil says:
November 18, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Just a note for some people – it seems that File History will not back up blocked files. This in itself is a good reason to disable blocking. If I download attachments to my Documents folder I expect them to be backed up – that’s why File History is there. I would suggest that everyone using File History should turn off blocking as above.

Last edited by StainlessS; 31st May 2022 at 04:05.
Old 31st May 2022, 03:44   #331  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

That is useful reg, thanks. Added it to my AIO batch fix. Btw, it works in Win7 Ultimate.

Batch version:
Quote:
REM *** Prevent OS blocking of downloaded files ***
reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments" /v "SaveZoneInformation" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f >nul
Old 31st May 2022, 04:09   #332  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

You can post your current batch reg script here if you like VX. [I still got one you posted lotsa time ago].

Old 31st May 2022, 04:36   #333  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
You can post your current batch reg script here if you like VX. [I still got one you posted lotsa time ago].
Dunno if I added there much from the last time, check if there is anything new:
https://pastebin.com/vudsCshN
Old 31st May 2022, 07:59   #334  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Damn, that is some script VX, I gotta give it a try [maybe with a few things changed a bit].

Old 26th June 2022, 20:21   #335  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Posted in Avisynth Usage,
Quote:
I quite often have small probs downloading from Google Drive, but usually starts eventually if you give it a minute or so,
works better if you're signed in to your Google account. (I usually stay signed out unless required)

Maybe some kind of punishment for not being signed in,
Hotmail, on signing in using non MS Edge browser, just hangs for about 30 seconds (or is it 60), punishment for not using Edge [EDIT: Zero network activity until punishment ends].
(I usually start it up before I want to use it, and switch back to what I was doing for a couple of minutes so that it will have dished out sufficient punishment.)

EDIT: Above Hotmail Edge punishement thing, is where (my) MS telemetry is disabled/crippled, perhaps Edge also passes telemetry and where not using edge, then
attempts standard MS telemetry spyware stuff until it figures out that it is also blocked.
If someone uses FireFox or other non MS Edge browser, AND, does not disable/cripple telemetry (at all),
and does NOT suffer the Hotmail, "Punishment Thing", then please do say so here.
If so, then it would pretty much verify that Edge is being used as an alternative telemetry/spyware source for W10, which
can be updated fairly easily [when Edge updated] to incorporate pretty much anything that MS wants to add to telemetry crippled machines.

Old 27th June 2022, 07:46   #336  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Uh-oh, VoodooFX's pastebin link from #333 is dead

https://pastebin.com/vudsCshN

Can any good soul help me out with a copy ?
Old 27th June 2022, 12:42   #337  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Yes of course Gator,
https://www.mediafire.com/file/w6hzk...Script.7z/file

Last edited by StainlessS; 27th June 2022 at 12:44.
Old 27th June 2022, 13:20   #338  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Yes of course Gator
alligator, see you later ♪
♪ Gotta hit the road, gotta hit the road...

Jokes aside, Samuel made a new release of One Core API and he's got Chromium 103 to work on XP:

https://github.com/Skulltrail192/One...aries/releases
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2022, 14:47   #339  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Tanx FaBB,
Me is feelin' beri beri close to dumpin' XP machine, I used to not care too much about how long something took,
but comparison of my XP m/c (Core Duo quad Q600) to i7-8700 sees XP as being power guzzler with little merit other than XP OS.
Also gettin' a bit sick of my No2 W7 m/c with Core 2 quad Q9550.
could maybe dump both and get 2nd m/c maybe i7-4790/i7-4790K Haswell whotsit with W7.

Amazing to see the guys still working on XP One Core API though ... Never say Die

EDIT: Also contemplating dumping Atari 1040 STE with 4MB RAM, 500MB HD, and Amiga 1200 MC68020 CPU, 10MB RAM + internal 128MB HD, + Composite/ analog RGB/ SCART monitor, to charity shop.
[could also then get rid of 1/2 ton of books too]

Last edited by StainlessS; 27th June 2022 at 15:27.
Old 28th June 2022, 02:35   #340  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Deepest thanks, gentlemen !