Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > DV

Old 5th December 2010, 16:47   #1  |  Link
ajk

Programs to capture HDV with

Hey guys,

I have a Sony HDR-HC1E and I'm looking for some utility to capture the video stream. In the past I have use HDVSplit with good success, but it no longer works properly with Windows 7, and since it is no longer being updated, I imagine something else is needed. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
ajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010, 17:36   #2  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Well, how to say this in a polite manner?

That's entirely your problem, since you changed from a working system to a newer one. I mean you created yourself problems that wouldn't exist otherwise. I don't know others, but I felt no compulsion to change the old W98 on my audio PC. Why would I change a working system?
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010, 19:06   #3  |  Link
ajk

Well how was I supposed to know it's not going to work anymore? Pretty much everything else has, even older stuff. Besides, I don't have a dedicated system just to do video capturing, I need to be able to upgrade in order to do other things. In any case, that's entirely unhelpful advice.
Old 5th December 2010, 19:46   #4  |  Link
Lyris

I usually use the capture program built into Sony Vegas Pro 8, if that helps.
Lyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010, 19:55   #5  |  Link
ajk

Hmm yeah it might, I could at least test the trial version for now. Do you have exactly the same camcorder or some other Sony?
Old 5th December 2010, 20:17   #6  |  Link
Lyris

No, I have a Canon HV30 though. It shouldn't matter which camera it is, right?
Lyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 08:07   #7  |  Link
um3k

I haven't had any problems with HDVSplit on Windows 7. What kind of issues are you running in to?
um3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 10:58   #8  |  Link
ajk

@Lyris

I'm not sure if it matters, just thought it might be some kind of compatibility issue.

@um3k

Everything appears to work, but inevitably after a minute or so I get "No more data is received from the camcorder. Capture stopped", even though there clearly is more to capture. Once this happens, the capture can't really be started again (you can start, but it immediately stops again). I have tried to find what causes this error, but it looks like people have run into the same message under all kinds of circumstances. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, HDVSplit does not keep a log, so it's hard to tell what exactly is making it think the tape has run out.

I did find one suggestion that had to do with replacing the W7 firewire drivers with some legacy ones, but there the problem was that the camcorder was not being recognized at all, while in my case that is not the issue. I might still give it a try though.

If you have any ideas for debugging the issue further, I'll be happy to try, I'd certainly like to continue using HDVSplit.
Old 20th December 2010, 14:00   #9  |  Link
ronnylov

Try starting HDV Split as an administrator. Sometimes older programs does not fully work in Windows 7 unless running as administrator. Anyway HDVSplit does work for me with my Canon HV-20 on Windows 7 64-bit.

Tags
hdv, hdvsplit, sony, windows 7