Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10th January 2021, 23:50   #1  |  Link
kap'n krunch

What is this 'modulation noise' in Boston "Don't Look Back" First Japanese Pressing?

Well, so much for considering the Japanese pressings as the best...I guess they started flying straight in the 80s...
I usually rip my LPs at 96/24 so I can clean the noises and listen to the rip instead of the LPs.
I have been ripping them for YEARS now and once in a while I have come across a few surprises, this one is definitely a doozy!

It seems that there is some kind of nasty "modulation" noise(to call it something) with a lot of harmonics on this LP. Japanese LPs are one of the finest in the industry but this one was probably the victim of some nasty gear failure.

I make sure that my rips are as silent and noise free as possible and although my gear is not what you'd call EXPENSIVE, it is pretty good.

So, has anybody ever found this noise? I am guessing that masterings from the same era and label would share this "noise" and I, for one do NOT have basically many other LPs from that era/label, and the ones I do have -Boz Scaggs "Slow Dancer" and "Silk Degrees"- do not suffer from this, AFAIK.

Any help/comments are definitely welcome.
Here is the capture: This is most of side A and you can see the noise as soon as the stylus hits the record and it is mostly noticeable on silent/low passages.
(Gear: Technics SL-QL1 Linear Tracking TT from 1981/Ortofon OM30/ Pro-Ject Phono Box Preamp / MOTU 828es / 2019 Mac Mini 6 core running Logic Pro)
Attached Images

kap'n krunch is offline   Reply With Quote