Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 15th March 2021, 00:30   #1  |  Link
Silasqwerty

How to determine AACS verison

Hello! I want to find out what the AACS version of a disc is, and I tried searching here but I didn't see anything directly related to that. Is there any way to tell without using a program like MakeMKV? Or at least a program that documents how it detects the version.
Silasqwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2021, 13:34   #2  |  Link
candela

The version is in the AACS\MKB_RO.inf file

https://aacsla.com/aacs-specifications/
Introduction and Common Cryptographic Elements Book Rev 0.953 (PDF, 557 KB)
3.2.5.1.1 Type and Version Record

Or check aacskeys or Videolan's libaacs source code
candela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2021, 09:25   #3  |  Link
Silasqwerty

Thank you so much!! I really do appreciate it One thing, the version reported by MakeMKV and aacsinfo (from https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176924) doesn't always match what the specification said it should, for example I have a disc that according to MKB_RO.inf should be 42, but according to other software is 66. What's interesting to me is that earlier versions seem to match just fine, up to 7 seems to follow the specifications as expected. I will try to look through the sources of what you mentioned as well, but that will take me a little while to go through because I'm very new to coding.
Old 17th March 2021, 13:46   #4  |  Link
candela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silasqwerty View Post
Thank you so much!! I really do appreciate it One thing, the version reported by MakeMKV and aacsinfo (from https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176924) doesn't always match what the specification said it should, for example I have a disc that according to MKB_RO.inf should be 42, but according to other software is 66. What's interesting to me is that earlier versions seem to match just fine, up to 7 seems to follow the specifications as expected. I will try to look through the sources of what you mentioned as well, but that will take me a little while to go through because I'm very new to coding.
are you sure you are looking at
MKBv : X
and not at
Host Revocation List (MKB version Y):
in aacsinfo?

X is the inserted disc version, and Y is the highest version seen by aacsinfo so far and cached on your HDD
Old 17th March 2021, 22:41   #5  |  Link
Silasqwerty

I'm sure. What aacsinfo reports as 66 is indicated as 42 in MKB_RO.inf, a 23 in aacsinfo as 17 in MKB_RO.inf, and a few others mismatch too. The ones I have that are versions 1, 2, 4, and 7 DO match MKB_RO.inf though. What aacsinfo reports also always seems to match what MakeMKV reports too. The "MKBType" as listed in the specs does match expected values so I seem to be looking in the right place. And as far as I can tell, all the other bytes dedicated to listing the version are empty, so there shouldn't be any other version information that I'm not accounting for.
Old 17th March 2021, 23:31   #6  |  Link
candela

You are looking in hex editor? Of course it doesn't match, 42 hex = 66 dec, 17 hex = 23 dec
Old 18th March 2021, 00:11   #7  |  Link
Silasqwerty

Oh hey thank you!! Of course it was something stupid of me like that, I really appreciate your help If you happen to know how to determine the BD+ version too, that would be amazing! Either way though, thank you again!
Old 18th March 2021, 22:29   #8  |  Link
candela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silasqwerty View Post
Oh hey thank you!! Of course it was something stupid of me like that, I really appreciate your help If you happen to know how to determine the BD+ version too, that would be amazing! Either way though, thank you again!
There is no real version, there is a timestamp in BDSVM files that can be used to approximately date a certain generation of BD+ protection code.

https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...&postcount=751

You need to check Videolan libbdplus source code how to read the timestamp, it's in bdsvm\loader.c

Last edited by candela; 18th March 2021 at 22:32.