Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th May 2011, 18:51   #41  |  Link
JanWillem32

Quote:
Originally Posted by roozhou View Post
I don't think bitmap data has to be dynamically read. They can be read and load as texture at the beginning, similar to embedded fonts in ASS.
If exposed at that stage by the file splitter and then the internal subtitle splitter, it's indeed possible to load several textures from the mixer. That's another complexity factor then, because it needs pooling, what the regular texture-based subtitles don't use. On the other hand, that does eliminate the mixing stage further on. The other rendering parts will still need to be loaded dynamically to make it possible to render those items to screenspace with the right properties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roozhou View Post
Sounds interesting. I hope someone gets rid of MFC, GDI and VC inline-assembly from VSFilter's parser and render engine so it can be easily port to other projects.
I'm afraid that those are the main parts of the renderer that were written with some efficiency and performance in mind... (And it's at least commented for a good part.) Although changing the GDI parts to DirectX 10/11 items would be nice.
Old 23rd May 2011, 09:08   #42  |  Link
Ghitulescu

I've found by accident an older (2010) German PC magazine about VLC IIRC 1.05. They had only nice words about it (it wasn't a "hidden ad", just a comparison of features, tips, tricks and hints for newbies etc.).
For newbies is probably the best player, if correctly installed and configured.
Old 23rd May 2011, 17:40   #43  |  Link
Dark Eiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I've found by accident an older (2010) German PC magazine about VLC IIRC 1.05. They had only nice words about it (it wasn't a "hidden ad", just a comparison of features, tips, tricks and hints for newbies etc.).
For newbies is probably the best player, if correctly installed and configured.
I'm really used to tweaking every single thing everywhere on players and codecs. I feel like crying when I see the configuration window for VLC. Specially the advanced one.

The fact it also doesn't use EVR or any other known renderer (or at least it doesn't call it by the appropriate names, all I see is retarded gibberish like DirectX or DirectDraw Renderer, when VMR/EVR are used in EVERY SINGLE OTHER PLAYER, and I don't even think they are the same thing) is really annoying too. It's a complete mess.

I think MPC-HC is much more user friendly, in every single aspect. VLC had the edge to play broken files in the past, but I never found anything that MPC-HC can't play just fine in the last 3 years.
Dark Eiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:02   #44  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Eiri View Post
I think MPC-HC is much more user friendly, in every single aspect. VLC had the edge to play broken files in the past, but I never found anything that MPC-HC can't play just fine in the last 3 years.
VLC does everything is seems (for most people). I use MPC-HC but still have to rely on VLC to watch files that are being written to (so I can watch the F1 live). Even better, with VLC I set it up to steam the file over the network so you don't even have to seek to the end to see the most recent bit, you just watch it.

Point is, if VLC is your main player, you don't need to rely on anything else. Not even codecs, etc.
Old 1st June 2011, 14:52   #45  |  Link
Vilx-

I'm going to give a +1 for VLC. Ever since I migrated to it, I've never looked back and never used anything else (for movies). And never worried about codec packs or system stability either (when codec packs get messed up, things get REALLY hairy). Although I've had the odd VLC crash here and there, it's stable 99% of the time. Also I don't know what the complaints about subtitles are - I've watched hundreds of videos with subtitles, DVD and non-DVD alike, and I've never had any problems with them.

Just to be complete - yes, about 5 years ago I too disliked VLC because of its stability issues. For example, it would completely lock down the system if you ejected the DVD while it was playing it. But it's come a long way since then.
Vilx- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 01:56   #46  |  Link
Hera
.NET Web App Dev

From a pure performance standpoint, MPC:HC is the de-facto winner for me.
Dark Eiri also has another criticism that I have for VLC.
Old 2nd June 2011, 08:57   #47  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

gui wise i like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35DsphxQn_M

usage wise would be mplayer cli version.

(mpc-hc and vlc suffers from "featurities" > only my opinion)
smok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 03:33   #48  |  Link
DGMurdockIII

vlc i better at cross platform support
DGMurdockIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 01:43   #49  |  Link
Astrophizz

Better than MPlayer?
Astrophizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 07:21   #50  |  Link
Przemek_Sperling

Well, I have to say that VLC for Windows and VLC for Linux are like two different products. I used it with my underpowered laptop (with Win XP SP3) and my experience with the player was bad. Often crashes, bad subtitle support, and the high consumption of CPU cycles plus a lot of minor glitches. On the other hand, the Linux version of the player is rock stable, and not so resource hungry as I thought. Only the subtitle support is so-so, the rest is pretty OK.
Przemek_Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 08:26   #51  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

I don't care about subtitle support really, but the main reasons I use MPC-HC over VLC are the following:

1) MadVR, which is absolutely essential with my Plasma TV to get smooth jitter free playback.
2) ffdshow filters
3) Modularity (which can also be a curse)
Old 26th June 2011, 19:28   #52  |  Link
DGMurdockIII

guys with vlc 1.2 has much improved subtle support witch you can try out out here http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win32/?C=M;O=D then click on the newest trunk link
Old 30th June 2011, 04:50   #53  |  Link
x-man

vlc ,feel well.
x-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 05:02   #54  |  Link
DGMurdockIII

have any of you tryed 1.2
Old 15th August 2011, 10:52   #55  |  Link
petran79

I did try to compile 1.2 on Ubuntu but it had stability problems and crashed often or sound stopped working. A nice feature was sound font support for MIDI files.

Also every ppa offers their own version of VLCPlayer that makes things confusing. Eg the latest VLC from one ppa had stuttery playback while another ppa with an older version, yet compiled recently, had no problems.

I'll try the Windows build,it might be more stable.

VLC made much progress and can compete with any media player.

I ditched ffdshow and Reclock because they interefered with some games in-game fmv or sound output and crashed.

If I have manually to configure every game for ffdshow, forget it.

Players like VLC are more convenient.
petran79 is offline   Reply With Quote