Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th March 2010, 10:58   #1  |  Link
Lester Burnham

Audio codec question

Hi

I wonder if you can help me - I've been sent (after a formal request under Data Protection legislaton) a recording of a phone call made to me.

It's in WAV format, and according to the properties, the codec used is "DSP Group TrueSpeech". Now that codec seems to be installed within the audio properties on my PC (running XP SP3), but playing the file under Windows Media Player (version 9, as I haven't upgraded it, 'cos I normally don't use it) just outputs silence. Although the file does play, and WMP doesn't give any errors or indicate any problems.

VLC (which is what I normally use) won't play the file ("VLC can't recognize the input's format").

Any advice over this would be great, I just want to be able to play the recording that was sent to me.

Thanks in advance.
Lester Burnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 11:16   #2  |  Link
Reimar

Both FFmpeg and MPlayer support that codec.
That does not necessarily mean it will work in your case, but if you send the output of e.g. mplayer -v file.wav there's a good chance it's possible to make it work.
Reimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 21:59   #3  |  Link
Lester Burnham

Many thanks, mplayer played it just fine.
Lester Burnham is offline   Reply With Quote