Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 8th January 2010, 21:45   #1  |  Link
crl2007

Guide for Blu-Ray Re-Authoring using multiAVCHD

Guide for re-authoring a Blu-Ray Disc keeping the original menu and its functions using multiAVCHD

This guide is solely based on multiAVCHD, an excellent application that now does everything a user can dream to do with a blu-ray disc. Kudos, deank.

Necessary software and codecs:

Codecs:

Before installing these codecs, uninstall all codecs that you may have installed on your computer.

ffdshow + haali

For Windows 7 users: Preferred Filter Tweaker for Windows 7 - it's free and straight forward

FOR HAALI: TAKE ONLY THE VERSION LISTED HERE.

Always take the latest version.

Software:

1. multiAVCHD - free
2. ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum or PowerDVD 9 - not free
3. BDEdit - free
4. ImgBurn - free

Let's begin. DON'T SKIP ANY STEP. READ CAREFULLY AND DON'T RUSH IT.

Choose a partition with at least 100 GB free. Create a folder called "Workspace". In this folder, create one folder, called "multiAVCHD". In the folder called "multiAVCHD" create another two folders, called "Original" and "Temp". In the "Original" folder copy the original disc, the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders. The "Temp" folder is for the temporary files.

1. Open multiAVCHD and load ( drag and drop ) the BDMV folder from the "Original" one. The program will ask you if you want to switch to Blu-Ray Re-Author mode. Press "Yes".

Then you wait for the program to import your disc.

2. Do the following settings:

3. Now, go to "Media" Tab and press the first title.

A new window will appear where you can do all the necessary modifications ( blanking intros, trailers, extras, removing / adding audio / subtitle streams, transcode movie / menus / extras ).

All next operations will be done in this window.

ADDING / REMOVING / REPLACING A SUBTITLE AND / OR AN AUDIO STREAM + AUDIO BLANKING

KEEP IN MIND: EVERY OPERATION YOU WANT TO DO, PGS ORDER SHOULD BE USED LAST, NEVER BEFORE OTHER OPERATIONS OR IN BETWEEN OPERATIONS. PGS ORDER IS ONLY USED FOR ADD / REMOVE / UP / DOWN INTERNAL / EXTERNAL SUBTITLES.

1. We select the movie playlist ( first one in our case ). A list of streams appears in the "Audio" and "Subtitles" tabs. For replacing / adding / removing / blanking an audio stream is extremely easy. Just select the "Audio" tab and press "Remove" to remove an unwanted audio, press "Add" to add an audio.

To replace one audio stream, press "Add" to add your stream, press "Remove" to remove the one you want replacing and then press the UP / DOWN buttons to put the new stream instead of the old one.

To blank an audio stream, choose the audio stream you want to blank and press the "Blank" button. If you made a mistake, just press the "Revert" button.

For HD audio streams with a DTS or AC-3 core, you can keep only the core by checking the "Core Only" box situated under the audio streams.

2. For subtitles it is a little bit different. Press the "External subtitles" tab and choose your subtitle stream ( it is indicated that you already have a sup ready with easySUP ). You can use text SRT/SUB subtitles too... or DVD IDX+SUB.

easySUP settings:

Select the subtitle you just added and at "Language" write your language code ( http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm ) and click "Change". Now, the external subtitle will be recognized as your language. Now, in "Subtitles", remove the stream you want to replace with the "Remove" button and from "PGS Order" ( again, do not use "PGS Order" before other operations or in between operations, it always must be used last ), using the UP / DOWN buttons, put your external subtitle instead of the removed one.

BLANKING INTROS / TRAILERS / EXTRAS / WARNINGS

WE NEVER BLANK THE MENU PLAYLISTS.

This part is extremely easy. We have a preview window, so we can see what we're removing. We select the paylist that we want to remove and click "Blank". Easy as pie. If we screw up and blank something that we want to keep, we select that playlist and press "Revert".

TRANSCODING EXTRAS OR MAIN VIDEO

If we want to change the movie or extra bitrate, resolution ( so that it will be smaller ), we select the playlist that contains the movie or that extra feature and we press "Transcode". A new window will appear and we will set our options. After we set the transcode options, we press "Apply".

All the operations described in this guide can all be done in the same time, but be careful to use "PGS Order" last.

After finishing all of our operations, we press "OK" and then "START". We choose our output preferences ( for PS3, AVCHD or all BD players ) and after that just sit back and relax, the program will do everything. At the end, you will have a BDRA folder ready to be burned for playing in your favourite player, PC, or played directly from your player's HDD.

USEFUL TIPS:

1. When resizing a movie ( with subtitles ) subtitles are not resized... at least not at the moment. User may need to demux and resize, then import as external subtitles.

2. Some discs will have a structure like in the picture below. Two playlists are reffering to the same main movie, each one of them controlling different things.

With these discs, edit all as usual. Do all the operations from the guide ( DO NOT EDIT BOTH PLAYLISTS ). After multiAVCHD finishes you will have to manually edit one ( or the rest, if they are more than one ) of the main movie playlists, because multiAVCHD edits only the one you choosed. For that you need to open the BDRA \ BDMV folder in BDEdit and do the following:

a) Go to PLAYLIST Tab and find the playlist that needs to be edited. Once you find it ( you can see playlists number in multiAVCHD ) do the following:

In most cases, multiAVCHD will edit the IN_OUT Time for all movie playlists and the example above is no longer available. You need to open the BDRA \ BDMV folder in BDEdit and do the following:

a) Go to PLAYLIST Tab and find the playlist that you edited. Save the chapters from that playlist.

b) Now find the rest of the playlists that reffer to the main movie and load the chapters saved in the step above.

c) Press Save.

ADDING SUBTITLE TO A SERIES BLU-RAY KEEPING THE ORIGINAL MENU WITH MULTIAVCHD

1. Do all the above operations for every playlist, except the one containing all episodes. Some discs have 2 playlists for every episode and a big one containing them all. In this cases edit only 1 playlist for each episode, not all 2 of them. NEVER EDIT BOTH OR THE ONE CONTAINING ALL EPISODES.

2. After multiAVCHD finishes we will edit in BDEdit the IN time for the big mpls and for the individual mpls files that were not edited. For that you need to open the BDRA \ BDMV folder in BDEdit and do the following:

a)Go to PLAYLIST Tab and find the playlists that need to be edited ( you can see playlists number in multiAVCHD ) and do the following for every episode mpls, including the big mpls ( the one containing all episodes ):

Some discs will have in the big mpls some extra credits, like this:

They are depicted with blue. For those DO NOT edit the IN time. Edit the IN time only for the episodes.

The same method applies for discs containing both Theatrical and Extended versions. The same steps, only that you'll repeat them for 20+ m2ts files.

That's all. For reports and bugs, please post here.

Last edited by crl2007; 3rd June 2010 at 00:24.
crl2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 03:47   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

@crl2007

Hi!

Since I am very much opposed to codec packs, I'd like to ask you why you list the "K-lite" codec pack as being necessary for this project?

Surely not everything in it is required.

Please advise which specific codecs/items contained in are required for this project.
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 10:07   #3  |  Link
crl2007

It is mostly useful for people with windows 7. It bypasses some MediaFoundation problems that are crippling preview in multiAVCHD. I will make some other ( standalone ) codec configurations tests for people that are opposed to codec packs and will modify the guide accordingly. But for people with xp / vista ffdshow + haali will suffice.

le: @setarip_old Modified the guide to accomodate the k-lite pack for codec pack opposers, such as myself.

Last edited by crl2007; 9th January 2010 at 12:32.
Old 9th January 2010, 13:40   #4  |  Link
Mtz

deank, first I want to thank you for this new option and then to ctrl+2007 for the guide, testings and idea. I think somebody here is a vobblanker fan (another amazin tool).

Regarding to: 3. Now, go to "Media" Tab and press the first title
I have XP, and after pressing the first "title name" I was waiting forever to have the preview in the new window. Before going to sleep (waited too much) I saw some mx264.exe running. In the morning, the preview is OK, no mx264. But when I want to skip for example for 1 second, mx264.exe launched again and again a long wait. Also if I want to go from chapter to chapter more mx264.exe instances are launched.
Can you make something to have some speed in actions? If is not possible, think about some option for user to choose if he want the small preview or not, because if he only want to add some subtitle and remove some stuff he will not need the movie preview.
Also, sometimes I have this error when clicking in preview window:
multiavchd.exe - No Disk
There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive M:.

I think this is alsi related to mx264.exe.

I have ffdshow and haali properly installed (even them are not used in this stage).

And maybe another name for AVCHD folder because it sounds so scary and maybe user will think that he didn't made a Blu-Ray.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by Mtz; 9th January 2010 at 13:45. Reason: typo
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 13:47   #5  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

Such delay is caused by missing/broken/messed-up filters/codecs. For preview to work you need to have functioning avisynth+splitters+filters...etc.
Uninstall HAALI splitter and reinstall it with MPEG-TS and MPEG-PS options enabled.

You can disable the preview in SETTINGS tab:

[x] Disable preview in Title properties

You can kill mx264.exe with task manager when it takes more than 2-3 seconds (what it usually takes in a good and fast system).

When you load a disc in re-author mode output folder is changed to "...\BDRA\"... You'll need to update to the latest build.

Last edited by deank; 9th January 2010 at 14:25.
deank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 15:35   #6  |  Link
claymic

Thnks for the guide Dean, i will try this later.
Clayton
claymic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 15:47   #7  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

The guide is from crl2007, I just wrote multiAVCHD
Old 12th January 2010, 14:29   #8  |  Link
claymic

Ooops, my bad.
thanks for the guide crl2007
Clayton
claymic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 22:00   #9  |  Link
crl2007

Update: I've sorted out the filters problem. Changed the guide accordingly.
Old 14th January 2010, 22:17   #10  |  Link
krosswindz

Is there any possibility that in the near future multiAVCHD might support replacing video stream without re-encoding it something similar to vob blanker :P
krosswindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 23:30   #11  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

Yes, tomorrow... if you tell me what you want to replace a playlist with. Another m2ts file?
Old 15th January 2010, 06:58   #12  |  Link
krosswindz

Quote:
Originally Posted by deank View Post
Yes, tomorrow... if you tell me what you want to replace a playlist with. Another m2ts file?
Yeah, I deal would like to replace it with another m2ts file. Something similar to vobblanker so that we can replace the original m2ts with a new m2ts created.
krosswindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 10:46   #13  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

The way I see it at the moment, as it is already implemented in multiAVCHD - you can replace a playlist with a file of your choice:

* m2ts/mts
* ts
* trp
* vob
* mpeg/mpg (mpeg-2)
* m2v
* vc1
* evo
* (probably with a DVD title ifo... but need to test it first)

Now knowing that blanking works as it should, I'll add this in some of the next builds.
Old 19th January 2010, 05:46   #14  |  Link
Mtz

Testing the blanking feature:
- some option to see the size also in the Compilation window from Preview window? This is good if many files showed and we can choose to not blank the very small ones with under 10MB size for example.
- when I blank some audio files, I know I blanked them looking if the Revert button exists. Maybe will be nice if the blanked stuff to be showed in some grey color?
- it is possible to show the whole disc size (and correct size) and when we blanking some stuff to calculate the actual output? This is nice if we want to blank for example to reach 25GB final size, and once reached, to leave some stuff.
General: I can't se all description of the streams. If the window is not possible to make it bigger, can be implemented some "baloon tip" to show the whole description/name?
Later edit:
- can you add something like "Convert to still" ?

I don't know if you know the vobblanker program, but maybe testing it one day will give you some ideas.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by Mtz; 19th January 2010 at 09:37.
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 03:01   #15  |  Link
Capsbackup

Just to report, I have successfully backed up another Blu-Ray title with the re-author feature, this time reducing an original title that was 25.2GB to 22.9GB by blanking three audio tracks and transcoding 4 trailers, blanking all warnings and leaving the main feature and it's DTS HD Master audio intact.
Plays perfectly on TMT3, PowerDVD 7.3 via ISO and the burned BD-RE on my Sony S360.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 03:16   #16  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

Thank you, Caps
Old 21st January 2010, 19:38   #17  |  Link
crl2007

I've added a method for series discs with multiavchd until deank finishes the big multiavchd update and will add new features to re-author mode. Feedback will be extremely useful if you use it for a series disc.
Old 21st January 2010, 20:50   #18  |  Link
mamaki

Thanks for the great tutorial. Just one question, what changes in the transcode options should i use to turn a full bd disc 50gb into a 25gb one?
mamaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 21:52   #19  |  Link
crl2007

You can blank all extra features, you can blank all audio tracks except english. And in transcode you can re-encode to 720p and put a lower bitrate or you can put a lower bitrate only keeping 1080p, from 30 mb/s to 15 for example. But if you resize to 720p you'll have to resize the subtitles too.
Old 22nd January 2010, 18:17   #20  |  Link
cwh060

@crl2007
Quote:
I've added a method for series discs with multiavchd until deank finishes the big multiavchd update and will add new features to re-author mode. Feedback will be extremely useful if you use it for a series disc.
I have successfully used your method on a disc to fix the mpls playlists (4 in total on this disc). Worked flawlessly, replaced the 4 MPLS's, used BDRebuilder and burned the resulting folders to a 25G BDRE.

Playback was perfect, although I managed to miss blanking one of the "extra's"! I'll proces it again when I have time.

thanks..cwh
cwh060 is offline   Reply With Quote