Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 18th January 2016, 06:12   #81  |  Link
mjr4077au

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvisagie View Post
You're right, I spoke too soon. Looking back, that's exactly the approach I'd been following with interlaced SD DV. Sorry for the red herring .

Cheers,
Francois
All good

Quote:
Originally Posted by real.finder View Post
use this http://forum.doom9.org/attachment.ph...4&d=1445557480 it will work with YUY2 in avs 2.6 with new MaskTools and even RgTools
I've seen this version around. I'm using "v3.33s (mod) 2015 9 10" at the moment. What was the reason to go back to QTGMC_inflate/QTGMC_deflate? I read here that it was changed as mt_inflate/mt_deflate had slightly more accuracy, as well as potential performance performance issues outlined here.

Is the 2015 10 23 version the best version to use?
mjr4077au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 06:43   #82  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr4077au View Post
All good

I've seen this version around. I'm using "v3.33s (mod) 2015 9 10" at the moment. What was the reason to go back to QTGMC_inflate/QTGMC_deflate? I read here that it was changed as mt_inflate/mt_deflate had slightly more accuracy, as well as potential performance performance issues outlined here.

Is the 2015 10 23 version the best version to use?
yes and here too http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...94#post1743994

I give you this version to avoid performance problems that may occur, I use "2015 9 10" until today, but I currently do experiments in the quality difference between the two and seems that "2015 10 23" is better until now, except it faster and more stable in performance
Old 18th January 2016, 09:08   #83  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

How about the ISO 8601 date format (YYYY-MM-DD)? Should be one of the least ambiguous.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 10:33   #84  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvisagie View Post
Unrelated, but if you're working with interlaced source (which seems to be the case from your other posts) it should be a better idea to crop after deinterlacing.
It makes me think I read a post about padding before de-interlacing, that's a Didée idee ;
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...30#post1325630
It removes blinking lines on top or bottom, but this was in 2009 for Yadif, and as he told it was used by TGMC, I guess it's also used by QTGMC and is maybe not needed in that case.
Music Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 14:40   #85  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
How about the ISO 8601 date format (YYYY-MM-DD)? Should be one of the least ambiguous.
if I did another edit, I will use it
Old 18th January 2016, 22:26   #86  |  Link
mjr4077au

Quote:
yes and here too http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...94#post1743994

I give you this version to avoid performance problems that may occur, I use "2015 9 10" until today, but I currently do experiments in the quality difference between the two and seems that "2015 10 23" is better until now, except it faster and more stable in performance
I'll have to try this on the weekend when I'm home. With 2015 9 10, I don't think I could use YUY2 with RgTools at all. I then put ConvertToYV16 at the start of my script but I had issues as I outlined here
Old 18th January 2016, 23:26   #87  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:
I'll have to try this on the weekend when I'm home. With 2015 9 10, I don't think I could use YUY2 with RgTools at all. I then put ConvertToYV16 at the start of my script but I had issues as I outlined here
what version of RgTools do you use? yv16 not supported now (mvtools2 not support it) so you will get these issues if you use it

Last edited by real.finder; 18th January 2016 at 23:28.
real.finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 23:44   #88  |  Link
mjr4077au

Quote:
what version of RgTools do you use? yv16 not supported now (mvtools2 not support it) so you will get these issues if you use it
I'm using the latest version of all plugins, not so much from the plugin pack.

So, with your updates to support YUY2 and RgTools, you selectively do ConvertToYV16 and ConvertToYUY2 where necessary to get the file through (I suppose where Interleaved2Planar and Planar2Interleaved were)? Is that why a blanket ConvertToYV16 at the start doesn't work?

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure if this is you at VideoHelp or not but same thing is said as I said above: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...=1#post2409148.

I'll give this a go when I can, but certainly sounds good to me

Quote:
Just on this, the reason to going back to QTGMC_deflate/QTGMC_inflate is for performance? If I don't particularly care for performance, is using 2015 9 10 with mt_deflate/mt_inflate a better option? I only ask because I read the change to mt_deflate/mt_inflate was for more accuracy, which is what I care about most

Last edited by mjr4077au; 18th January 2016 at 23:53.
Old 19th January 2016, 01:00   #89  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:
I'm using the latest version of all plugins, not so much from the plugin pack.

So, with your updates to support YUY2 and RgTools, you selectively do ConvertToYV16 and ConvertToYUY2 where necessary to get the file through (I suppose where Interleaved2Planar and Planar2Interleaved were)? Is that why a blanket ConvertToYV16 at the start doesn't work?

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure if this is you at VideoHelp or not but same thing is said as I said above: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...=1#post2409148.

I'll give this a go when I can, but certainly sounds good to me

Just on this, the reason to going back to QTGMC_deflate/QTGMC_inflate is for performance? If I don't particularly care for performance, is using 2015 9 10 with mt_deflate/mt_inflate a better option? I only ask because I read the change to mt_deflate/mt_inflate was for more accuracy, which is what I care about most
this me there http://forum.videohelp.com/members/242774-real-finder

last RgTools is already work with planar YUY2, so I did nothing for it

"2015 9 10" was work with YUY2 for me but today after I replace it with "2015 10 23" I found it does not work with YUY2 so I did another edit that will replace "2015 10 23" http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...postcount=2041

edit: and of course you still need SSE2Tools/SSE3Tools for planar YUY2

Last edited by real.finder; 19th January 2016 at 01:07.
Old 19th January 2016, 01:54   #90  |  Link
mjr4077au

Quote:
this me there http://forum.videohelp.com/members/242774-real-finder

last RgTools is already work with planar YUY2, so I did nothing for it

"2015 9 10" was work with YUY2 for me but today after I replace it with "2015 10 23" I found it does not work with YUY2 so I did another edit that will replace "2015 10 23" http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...postcount=2041

edit: and of course you still need SSE2Tools/SSE3Tools for planar YUY2
I thought in one of the earlier scripts you edited out the Interleaved2Planar and Planar2Interleaved with ConvertToYV16 and ConvertToYUY2, so SSE2Tools wouldn't be needed? Does SSE2Tools conflict with RgTools?
Old 19th January 2016, 03:12   #91  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Quote:
I thought in one of the earlier scripts you edited out the Interleaved2Planar and Planar2Interleaved with ConvertToYV16 and ConvertToYUY2, so SSE2Tools wouldn't be needed? Does SSE2Tools conflict with RgTools?
Getting rid of SSE2Tools would be the sane thing to do. All of the plugins QTGMC requires either support YUY2 or YV16. I looked at real.finder's mod some time ago and noticed he 'added support' for YV16 by adding lots of ConvertToYUY2().InterleavedToPlanar() / PlanarToInterleave().ConvertToYV16() . I started my own proper mod but have not got around to finishing it. Doing it correctly definetly takes more time and got a bit confusing since QTGMC has so many options. I have some VHS tapes I need to transfer so hopefully when that happens I'll be a bit more motivated to finish it. Don't hold your breath though .
Reel.Deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 03:24   #92  |  Link
mjr4077au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel.Deel View Post
Getting rid of SSE2Tools would be the sane thing to do. All of the plugins QTGMC requires either support YUY2 or YV16. I looked at real.finder's mod some time ago and noticed he 'added support' for YV16 by adding lots of ConvertToYUY2().InterleavedToPlanar() / PlanarToInterleave().ConvertToYV16() . I started my own proper mod but have not got around to finishing it. Doing it correctly definetly takes more time and got a bit confusing since QTGMC has so many options. I have some VHS tapes I need to transfer so hopefully when that happens I'll be a bit more motivated to finish it. Don't hold your breath though .
It gets confusing speaking to Reel.Deel and real.finder, so similar in name :P

I might take a look tonight at the code and see what's going on. Admittedly, I haven't really explored it a whole lot.

Should there be any need for Interleaved2Planar and Planar2Interleave if you can just switch between YUY2 and YV16 where necessary?
Old 19th January 2016, 03:34   #93  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Quote:
Should there be any need for Interleaved2Planar and Planar2Interleave if you can just switch between YUY2 and YV16 where necessary?
No need, if the plugin supports YV16 then use it, if not then use ConvertToYUY2() before hand. The latest NNEDI3 supports YV16 but when using EdiMode="EEDI3+NNEDI3" you must use YUY2 since EEDI3 doesn't support YV16. Also make sure to set MVTools' planar parameter to false when processing YUY2.
Reel.Deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 03:58   #94  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:
Does SSE2Tools conflict with RgTools?
no
RgTools = RemoveGrain, Repair, BackwardClense, Clense, ForwardClense and VerticalCleaner in single plugin

and RgTools not support YUY2 without Planar=true but RgTools more modern and support new avs 2.6 color formats Y8, YV16, YV24, YV411, and maybe has other features

and by the way, I did small change in the last edit (typo in QTGMC_deflate)

-------

@Reel.Deel I do it as a quick solution, if all requirements plugins support YV16 in the future then no need for any edit, but I did another changes that nothing to do with YUY2, like bob chroma bug in YV12, and if requirements plugins support YV16 in the future my edit in YUY2 will not adversely affect, it will work normally without remove YUY2 work around

anyway, good luck with your edit

Last edited by real.finder; 19th January 2016 at 12:08.
Old 19th January 2016, 07:59   #95  |  Link
mjr4077au

Quote:
no
RgTools = RemoveGrain, Repair, BackwardClense, Clense, ForwardClense and VerticalCleaner in single plugin

and RgTools not support YUY2 without Planar=true but RgTools more modern and support new avs 2.6 color formats Y8, YV16, YV24, YV411, and maybe has other features

and by the way, I did smal change in the last edit (typo in QTGMC_deflate)

-------

@Reel.Deel I do it as a quick solution, if all requirements plugins support YV16 in the future then no need for any edit, but I did another changes that nothing to do with YUY2, like bob chroma bug in YV12, and if requirements plugins support YV16 in the future my edit in YUY2 will not adversely affect, it will work normally without remove YUY2 work around

anyway, good luck with your edit
By putting back in SSE2Tools, YUY2 is processed and works as expected. So, I guess I don't need to convert first.

If MVTools2 does not support YV16, what exactly does Interleaved2Planar do? If you're not losing chroma resolution but you're doing Interleaved2Planar, isn't that effectively YV16?

Quote:
Not to start a war between you guys, but if you think the added support isn't the best way to do it in the end, do you think it's better to do ConvertToYV12() first prior to QTGMC, or process as YUY2 and convert at the end if necessary (blu-ray etc)?

Can it even be done without Interleaved2Planar etc if MVTools2 does not support YV16? I find it funny the main HTML page here for MVTools2 says "This trick will not be needed in Avisynth v2.6 with native support of planar YV16 format", yet MVTools2 has never been updated for YV16. Has the author disappeared?

Last edited by mjr4077au; 19th January 2016 at 08:38.
Old 19th January 2016, 11:48   #96  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:
If MVTools2 does not support YV16, what exactly does Interleaved2Planar do? If you're not losing chroma resolution but you're doing Interleaved2Planar, isn't that effectively YV16?
convert to/from YUY2 to/from yv16 is lossless, both has the same chroma resolution (4:2:2)

Quote:
what exactly does Interleaved2Planar do?
some functions (the original one, not only RgTools) need Planar YUY2 like repair
Old 20th January 2016, 00:11   #97  |  Link
mjr4077au

Quote:
convert to/from YUY2 to/from yv16 is lossless, both has the same chroma resolution (4:2:2)

some functions (the original one, not only RgTools) need Planar YUY2 like repair
Thanks for explaining it to me. I read the documentation better for MVTools2 and it has a good explanation of what Interleaved2Planar is actually doing.

Apologies also because I was reading further back on the thread and found this:

Quote:
QTGMC and MVTools still uses the old and ugly planar YUY2 hack from the SSE*Tools plugin. So if you want to process YUY2 you need to use the older plugins like MaskTools2 for AviSynth 2.5, RemoveGrain, Repair, VerticalCleaner (if needed) and you will also need the SSE*Tools plugin. I really wish cretindesalpes would add native support for YV16 in MVTools. According to jackoneill the code already supports YV16 it just needs to be used. It would make processing YUY2/YV16 way easier and less convoluted.
It'd definitely be great to use YV16 with MVTools2 and have QTGMC cleaned up
Old 28th January 2016, 16:30   #98  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

A user in the German doom9/Gleitz board always gets access violations (with script line numbers in the error message, so they are caught by AviSynth) trying to run QTGMC v3.32 or 3.33s with -Vit- and 06_taro DLLs on AviSynth 2.60 ST (default installer). It's hard to discover the true reason, latest line numbers point to a call of RemoveGrain.

Could we please – once again – collect all the recommended versions of plugins required in QTGMC in a current version (e.g. 2015-09-10 or 2016-01-19second attachment still pending approval)? Are RgTools now preferable over RemoveGrain patched by -Vit-, and is mt_masktools-26 patched by 06_taro in general the optimal one?

New German Gleitz board
Old 28th January 2016, 18:20   #99  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
A user in the German doom9/Gleitz board always gets access violations (with script line numbers in the error message, so they are caught by AviSynth) trying to run QTGMC v3.32 or 3.33s with -Vit- and 06_taro DLLs on AviSynth 2.60 ST (default installer). It's hard to discover the true reason, latest line numbers point to a call of RemoveGrain.

Could we please – once again – collect all the recommended versions of plugins required in QTGMC in a current version (e.g. 2015-09-10 or 2016-01-19second attachment still pending approval)? Are RgTools now preferable over RemoveGrain patched by -Vit-, and is mt_masktools-26 patched by 06_taro in general the optimal one?
I thought that there's a general consensus about the recommended plugins. I have summarized it some time ago here. I never had to deal with YUY2 in this context so I don't know what hoops you have to jump through to support that in QTGMC().

Last edited by Groucho2004; 28th January 2016 at 18:22.
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 09:05   #100  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

OK, thank you for the link.

The case of the stubborn crashes was solved, the final issue was a somehow wrong FFT3DFilter plugin for EZDenoise... The clip was in YV12, so 4:2:2 support was not crucial.

New German Gleitz board