Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 23rd October 2021, 15:33   #401  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
Hello!

Beyond calibrating my SDR TV I have created an HDR to SDR lut with displaycal's video 3DLut for Madvr HDR using default settings and in Madvr I've set 100 peak nits like my SDR calibration.Have I done things right?

Madvr peak nits on hdr 3dlut tab doesn't seem to work.Picture looks dim and long story short in displaycal's target peak luminance I had to put 100 nits,right?

Last edited by Damien147; 23rd October 2021 at 15:35.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2021, 01:14   #402  |  Link
Asmodian

Right, the 3DLUT does all the work when you use it.
Old 24th October 2021, 11:47   #403  |  Link
Damien147

I did it and picture looks fine now,thank you.
Old 24th October 2021, 14:25   #404  |  Link
Damien147

When you calibrate grayscale for TV levels(16-235) you set gpu 16-235 Madvr 0-255 and TV at 16-235?
Old 24th October 2021, 14:32   #405  |  Link
huhn

if you want to use the device in that mode yes.

if the software you use to calibrate can output 16-235 you could use full range onm the GPU too.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2021, 14:50   #406  |  Link
Damien147

I tried with everything on 16-235 but my meter couldn't read 10 point and suspected it was that because I've read it in the past but wasn't sure.It's just for normal channel watching,thank you.
Old 24th October 2021, 17:59   #407  |  Link
Damien147

2 point went fine it seems but 10 point calibration failed.It's like TV's sliders not working.

Trying to calibrate for TV levels.
TV set to 16-235,madvr set to 0-255,gpu set to 16-235(YCbCr 4:2:0)
Hcfr and colorHCFR windows 10% patterns.
After calibrating 2 point with 30% and 100% patterns I went to 10 point starting from 100%.
From 100% to 10% HCFR RGB levels stay the same like my TV's sliders aren't working.I don't see a difference also by eye when I adjust.
I did something wrong or my TV has some kind of a bug with 10 point?
Old 25th October 2021, 05:55   #408  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
I did something wrong or my TV has some kind of a bug with 10 point?
both are possibile. i'm in the blind here ahcfr user should do a far better job at helping you then me.
i use paint to do a grey scale don't think about it.

Quote:
It's just for normal channel watching,thank you.
than you should use madVR full range and GPU limited or just YCBCR output.
Old 25th October 2021, 12:17   #409  |  Link
Damien147

PC mode(0-255) calibration went just fine and that's what matters to me.Calibrating for TV levels comes second but why not now that I have a meter.
Old 30th November 2021, 14:40   #410  |  Link
aufkrawall

Anybody got an idea why I have to set black output offset to 100% in DisplayCal's 3D LUT generator in order to prevent washed out results?
Calibration was done with default gamma 2.2 profile, but with gamma changed to 2.4 relative and 6500k white point (well calibrated whitepoint via monitor OSD).
From what I can tell, both 1D LUT and 3D LUT (applying calibration via 1D LUT) look fine that way, but I'd like to find out why I need to deviate from the default setting for this result.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2021, 02:11   #411  |  Link
huhn

if you use 0 % black offset it will use bt1886 which changes the gamma depending on your black level depending on how high that is the resulting gamma can be sky high making the image look washed out.
Old 1st December 2021, 14:29   #412  |  Link
aufkrawall

Thanks. I wonder if this also is the case why forced correction in Firefox for all elements increases gamma absurdly (unlike in Chrome).
What would happen with 99% black output offset in calibration? I suppose this might already be noticeably brighter than 100% (only got slow Spyder 4, so would take me relatively long to find out)? Seems kind of unsatisfactory.

Also got a weird issue my with current display, where applications on Windows (e.g. Edge) can't make use of the installed ICM profile. It worked with older displays (same DisplayCal profile format), but it also works on Linux Xorg. Color management is such a PITA, I wished there was a way to inject ReShade into DWM...
Old 1st December 2021, 19:33   #413  |  Link
huhn

readings have nothing todo with this you can sue the same reading for as many different 3D LUT as you please...

calibration for general use of windows i just say give it up and calibrate the device directly.
for professional work you are just fine with ICM.
Old 1st December 2021, 20:31   #414  |  Link
aufkrawall

Tested the ICM profile on a different Windows system: There applications can use it correctly. So something's apparently off with linking the profile to that specific monitor on Windows. What a stupid mess, unbelievable. That's why I like self generated 3D LUTs, just full control and zero shenanigans...

Most wide gamut monitors don't have an sRGB clamp (or a sh*tty one), so you're dependent on a proper ICM profile. Too bad Firefox doesn't treat gamma the way Chrome does...
Old 2nd December 2021, 19:56   #415  |  Link
kolak

Yep and this is why new Macs are step forward.
Screen is decent, you have choice of different refresh rates and predefined modes for video, still etc. work which do clamp gamut and lock brightness. You can also measure screen, add correction and screen will get even closer to desired values. It's not a proper calibration, but nice touch. Those screens are quite accurate out of the box.

Some measurements here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads.../post-30551191

Last edited by kolak; 2nd December 2021 at 20:06.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2021, 01:37   #416  |  Link
huhn

a step forward is the use of proprietary software wow.
Old 3rd December 2021, 01:42   #417  |  Link
aufkrawall

Well, also on Android you can just enforce sRGB gamut mapping globally for it seems every UI element without exception(?). Windows (but also Linux Xorg) is just excessively stupid in that regard. Hope it gets better with Wayland on Linux, the corresponding protocol has been in the making for ages...
Old 3rd December 2021, 12:44   #418  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
a step forward is the use of proprietary software wow.
What software?
You don't have to use anything special at all- just a probe which understands new screens. Test patterns app is just "another"/easier(?) way.
Quoted post just shows that those screens are quite good and there is some "working" color management on OSX. At least your video/photo (once it's tagged properly) is converted to screen color profile on Mac and it actually works. If your screen is decent (+profiled) you get some meaningful preview, not a wild crap which happens on about any PC screen.

Those new features on latest MacBooks are move into very good direction.

How is eg. Netflix preview translated on PCs? If I have SDR screen with 50% Rec.709 gamut, or I have about P3 capable HDR screen? What do I see on PC laptop with Netflix?

On Mac it works very well. Once HDR screen is detected you get Dolby Vision and it's mapped to screen capabilities. If you force SDR profile for screen then you get only standard Rec.709 video. In case you have HDR source and play it in QTX when SDR mode is forced you get proper (toned mapped) SDR preview. It all sounds so simple but somehow it's far from been 'home standard'. Instead you get inn most cases totally wrong/unmanaged preview, which has not much to do with they way how it meant to look.

Last edited by kolak; 3rd December 2021 at 13:08.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2021, 14:39   #419  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
How is eg. Netflix preview translated on PCs? If I have SDR screen with 50% Rec.709 gamut, or I have about P3 capable HDR screen? What do I see on PC laptop with Netflix?
I think you can't on Windows, afaik neither the Netflix/Disney+ etc. store apps make use of the installed ICC profile, or any browser when it comes to video or even Widevine decoding. So such content on a wide gamut display will have goofy LSD-like colors, at least with Rec709 content. The TV would have to do the color conversion, but then you probably can just use the integrated apps of a SmartTV instead of a HTPC anyway. Well, and with a regular monitor, you're screwed. It's really pathetic.
Though I gotta say I really also dislike brightness locks or other artificial limitations.
Old 3rd December 2021, 15:58   #420  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
What software?
You don't have to use anything special at all- just a probe which understands new screens. Test patterns app is just "another"/easier(?) way.
Quoted post just shows that those screens are quite good and there is some "working" color management on OSX. At least your video/photo (once it's tagged properly) is converted to screen color profile on Mac and it actually works. If your screen is decent (+profiled) you get some meaningful preview, not a wild crap which happens on about any PC screen.

Those new features on latest MacBooks are move into very good direction.

On Mac it works very well. Once HDR screen is detected you get Dolby Vision and it's mapped to screen capabilities. If you force SDR profile for screen then you get only standard Rec.709 video. In case you have HDR source and play it in QTX when SDR mode is forced you get proper (toned mapped) SDR preview. It all sounds so simple but somehow it's far from been 'home standard'. Instead you get inn most cases totally wrong/unmanaged preview, which has not much to do with they way how it meant to look.
these new screens are controlled by the OSX and if the OS isn't mac os you have no access to it.

other open and official ways are present. monitors are usually simply doing it wrong out of the box or in general. TVs support control over HDMI signals for example which AMD and nvidia can send to change the screen behaviour software has to indicated that and win 11 terrible HDR features also takes "care" of this. loading profiles correctly on mac os for pretty much everything is something they do "correctly".