Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd January 2015, 14:10   #1  |  Link
manjake

Fullscreen playback on extended monitor

Hi all,

I'm after any advice for playing back full screen video smoothly on a secondary display

Monitor 1 (DVi) 1080P 60hz - Primary
Monitor 2 (HDMI) 1080p 60hz - Secondary

Windows 7 x64, 8GB DDR3, i7-2600k, GTX 760

Playback on primary monitor is always smooth (even if I switch the primary displays)

Playback on the extended monitor is choppy, the problem becomes worse the higher the resolution/bitrate the video file is.
I get the same problem in MPC-HC, MPCH-HC x64 (with latest LAV filters and Nvidia CUUVID, DXVA, software decode etc) VLC, Pot player, WMP

The only workaround I have found is to use the MadVR renderer (with MPC-HC x86) which has a full screen exclusive mode. This fixes the choppy playback on the secondary monitor but when switching between exclusive and windowed mode the audio often goes out of sync and it also causes problems when using the primary display, I get weird graphical glitches (while the video is in full screen exclusive on the secondary display), a workaround for this problem is to turn off Windows Aero but that is something I'd rather not do

Thanks for any advice
manjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 20:50   #2  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjake View Post
The only workaround I have found is to use the MadVR renderer (with MPC-HC x86) which has a full screen exclusive mode. This fixes the choppy playback on the secondary monitor but when switching between exclusive and windowed mode the audio often goes out of sync and it also causes problems when using the primary display,...
you can try windows 7 overlay. and have a look at the desktop composition rate shown in window mode can you make a screen of this with OSD (control + J), when you have choppy playback? you may just have a desktop composition rate miss match a pretty normal issue with windows 7 and 2 monitors.

if you are able to reproduce the out of sync problem with madVR, think about adding a bug entry in the madVR bug tracker here: http://bugs.madshi.net/my_view_page.php

in my eyes this is a critical bug.

Last edited by huhn; 3rd January 2015 at 21:04.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 08:47   #3  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

I find that if there's a web browser open, it may cause these sort of issues (web browsers use hardware acceleration which can slow down the GPU).

Minimizing or closing the browser usually helps.
Old 13th January 2015, 19:38   #4  |  Link
Ceremony

i noticed it as well (though its been years since then). somehow, software running in fakefullscreen (windowed fullscreen) on the secondary monitor tend to be low priority for some reason and might start to skip and/or experience tearing even when there is no system load.

however, i never had the issue with madVR (without ex. fullscreen) or the built in renderer (e.g. EVR) of mpc, when exclusive fullscreen was enabled. other that that, I have no fix for you either.

just stick to madvr. its the best of the best out there anyway
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote