Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th May 2012, 04:49   #1  |  Link
Djard

An italics text command appears in the subtitles

I use the Italics tool in the menu of Aegisub to start italicizing text and then click on the icon again to end italicizing text. The command {\i1} is placed at the beginning of the subtitle and {\i0} at the end to disable italics. Everything looks fine in the preview window: none of the commands appear on screen.

But when I convert and add the subtitle file (ASS format), and burn to DVD media, the close italics command {\i0} appears at the end of each italicized subtitle on my TV. I add the subs to video using ConvertXtooDVD. Is ConvertX the problem, or am I overlooking a setting in Aegisub. If the former case is the problem, maybe someone could recommend a program that will proper add subs to video when converting to DVD format.
Djard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 19:33   #2  |  Link
Djard

ConvertX shortcoming

Never mind, I figured it out: ConvertXtoDVD supports only the SRT format. It will render subs in other formats without artifact but only if in plain text--no effects, like fade-in, italics, etc. Now to find better option to ConvertX.
Old 14th May 2012, 20:43   #3  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Look into the manual, it should support HTML style srt tags, like e.g. <i>text</i>
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 05:05   #4  |  Link
Djard

I contacted VSO and was told ConvertX only supports SRT text files. I'm ready to buy Adobe Premiere if it will support a more advanced subtitle format. Unfortunately no one at any of the forums at which I have posted is able to recommend an app for the job, even at Aegisub's forum. I'm beginning to wonder why the ASS and SSA formats were developed. Even VirtualDub doesn't like anything but SRT. Surely I'm overlooking something.

Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 08:20   #5  |  Link
sneaker_ger

HTML style srt tags == HTML style tags in .srt files, not in .ass files.
RTFM
Old 19th May 2012, 19:50   #6  |  Link
Djard

ConvertXtoDVD supports only SRT format

Thanks. I resolved the italics issue, but SRT files don't permit effects, like fade-in/fade-out or color. Until I can find an app to convert AVI, MP4, and other such files that allows me to also hardcode subs in ASS format, I'm limited to SRT.

I don't mind losing some video quality if I must hardcode the subs with one app then recode them again to DVD format. But what do folks use to embed subs in ASS format?
Old 19th May 2012, 19:57   #7  |  Link
sneaker_ger

For hard-coding you can use AviSynth with vsfilter or AssRender plug-in. They allow all kind of ASS effects and fonts.
I think ConvertXtoDVD supports AviSynth input, so you don't have to create an intermediate video file.

Tags
aegisub, convertxtodvd, italics command