Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 28th April 2013, 04:53   #1  |  Link
Koushirou

Trying to merge different AVIs and add subtitles - Help!

[Edit]
Just noted the thread was moved. Sorry, I didn't noticed this section of the forum before. :/
[/Edit]

Hey, everyone!

I used to play a lot with anime encoding in 2006, and I always used VirtualDub to append and encode my videos.

Recently, I wanted to do some subbing, editing and merging , and did the following:

1 - Cut out pieces of the video I was going to edit in After Effects, using the "Direct Stream Copy" option. The original fps of the video is 23.976.

2 - Added some effects in After Effects, and exported an AVI with Lagarith Lossless video codec, with 23.976fps

3 - Opened VirtualDub again to append my edited video in my original one. Then, I got the following error: "Cannot append segment. The video streams do not share a common sampling rate. Video 1 (the original) 23.97600fps. Video 2 (edited one) 23.97600fps."

I tried a lot of things from a lot of different threads and forums, and nothing worked:
- Tried changing the avi rate and scale with AVIfrate;
- Tried encoding the original one also with logarith;
- Tried opening and appending with AvIDemux, but it crashed several times.

I don't know what to do anymore.

So, two questions:

1 - Do you guys have any idea of what I could do?
2 - Do you recommend any other video editing software where I can append different video segments at different points of the timeline and configure the codec I want to encode it with? I know that there must be some newer software than VirtualDub for it today.

Thanks in advance for everything!

Last edited by Koushirou; 28th April 2013 at 22:43.
Koushirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 14:39   #2  |  Link
fvisagie

That's a nasty one!

I also suspect (part of) the problem is mixing encoding formats, because then more values stored in more places (container frame rate, stream frame rate etc.) can lead to more variances in storage format and/or rounding errors. However, I would have expected encoding the original to the same format before combining would have fixed the problem?

Anyway, if you don't manage that way you can look at doing your cutting in VirtualDub, as that also supports direct stream copy. Unfortunately you don't mention what encoding format your source is in, but Windows Movie Maker versions up to 6.0 also supported direct stream copy for DV.

EDIT: you can also check the VirtualDub forums.

Cheers,
Francois
fvisagie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
append, avi, encode, error, virtualdub