Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 2nd March 2007, 20:12   #161  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
(1) I'm once again getting a few of the following warnings:

"Warning: pr_generic.cpp/generic_packetizer_c::add_packet(): timecode < last_timecode (00:59:30.600 < 00:59:30.667) for 1 of 'D:\test.mkv'. This should not have happened. Please contact the author with this error/warning message, a description of what you were trying to do, the command line used and which operating system you are using. Thank you."

Interestingly the first warning is at *exactly* the half of the movie (but not at the timecode where the two EVOs were splitted).

Mosu, does this warning have any practical meaning? Does it mean I should trash the new MKV because there's a glitch in it? If yes, is the glitch only in the new MKV or also in the original one? FWIW, I've checked the video at the 3 places the warnings mentioned and didn't notice any glitches. Does that mean I can safely ignore the warnings?
Yes, if there are no problems watching the file (these warnings only apply to video tracks) then you can ignore them. Actually I've disabled the warning this afternoon (after having uploaded the current build though). It was meant for myself for detecting errors in mkvmerge. However, due to the nature of video track timecodes especially with advanced codecs this warning is more often simply bogus and can be ignored. It usually unsettles users, that's why I'm removing it.

Quote:
Besides, I'm always getting these warnings, if I remux one of the MKV files which were created by EVO -> Haali's Matroska Muxer. So this is not a problem related to the new EAC3 support. Maybe Haali's Matroska Muxer does something wrong?
Not necessarily

Quote:
(2) Muxing of the EAC3 track generally seems to work, at least I got no crashes, the file size seems to be right and the track is properly listed in MPC. Unfortunately I cannot really test whether the sound plays, because Haali's Media Splitter reports the EAC3 track in such a way that none of my EAC3 capable DirectShow filters can connect. I guess that's a problem in the Haali Media Splitter, cause the same thing happens if I use Haali's Media Splitter directly on EVO files or on MKV files with EAC3 in them created by Haali's Matroska Muxer.
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I can use graphedit and connect Haali's splitter with the Intervideo Audio Decoder and with the Dump filter; this works with "EVO-to-MKV-with-Haali" file as well as with a "EAC3-to-MKA-with-mkvmerge" file. The results are byte identical, so I'm pretty confident that I haven't screwed up completely

Quote:
P.S: I'm not sure whether 0xeac3 is the correct way to sign the track. I think rather not.
I don't quite understand what you mean.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 2nd March 2007, 20:25   #162  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Yes, if there are no problems watching the file (these warnings only apply to video tracks) then you can ignore them. Actually I've disabled the warning this afternoon (after having uploaded the current build though). It was meant for myself for detecting errors in mkvmerge. However, due to the nature of video track timecodes especially with advanced codecs this warning is more often simply bogus and can be ignored. It usually unsettles users, that's why I'm removing it.
Thank you for the explanation.

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I can use graphedit and connect Haali's splitter with the Intervideo Audio Decoder and with the Dump filter; this works with "EVO-to-MKV-with-Haali" file as well as with a "EAC3-to-MKA-with-mkvmerge" file. The results are byte identical, so I'm pretty confident that I haven't screwed up completely
I believe the Dump filter eats whatever you throw at it... But I can not for the life of me connect Haali's splitter with the Intervideo Audio Decoder. Maybe you have a newer version of the Intervideo Audio Decoder than I have? Or do you have a non-public newer build of Haali's splitter?

Quote:
I don't quite understand what you mean.
If I try to open a MKV file with an EAC3 track in it, MPC sais this:

"Media Type 0:
--------------------------
Audio: 0xeac3 48000Hz 6ch"

I thought "0xeac3" was what Haali reported as the audio format. I have a filter which can connect demuxed EAC3 files to the Intervideo Audio Decoder and I believe to remember that I saw it reporting 0xac3 and not 0xeac3. But I might be totally wrong. I'm not really an expert in this area...
Old 2nd March 2007, 22:43   #163  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I believe the Dump filter eats whatever you throw at it... But I can not for the life of me connect Haali's splitter with the Intervideo Audio Decoder. Maybe you have a newer version of the Intervideo Audio Decoder than I have? Or do you have a non-public newer build of Haali's splitter?
Yeah, though I think that Haali only changed a bug with the Matroska CodecID in it. It's http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/mkx.I.2.exe The InterVideo AD is the one you've sent me.

Old 3rd March 2007, 11:05   #164  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Yeah, though I think that Haali only changed a bug with the Matroska CodecID in it. It's http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/mkx.I.2.exe
Great - thanks for the link!

I can now confirm that EAC3 support in your latest mkvtoolnix version is fully working! At least everything works fine in my first test with one movie.

Old 3rd March 2007, 11:08   #165  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
* mkvmerge: new feature: Added support for EAC3 tracks in MPEG program streams.
I'm wondering: Does that mean that EVO is "officially" supported by mkvtoolnix now?
Old 3rd March 2007, 12:29   #166  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

No Neither VC1 nor h264 can be read from MPEG program streams yet.

Old 3rd March 2007, 12:53   #167  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
No Neither VC1 nor h264 can be read from MPEG program streams yet.
Ok, but are MPEG2 and AC3 and EAC3 officially supported in EVO files? I'm asking because after reading your comment about adding EAC3 support to MPEG program streams, yesterday I tried to drop a little MPEG2/AC3 evo into mmg and it seemed to work just fine. However, the resulting MKV was too short. It was only 2-3 minutes instead of 6 minutes and the file size was also short.

Anyway, if this is not supposed to work yet, just ignore my post...
Old 3rd March 2007, 13:50   #168  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I know that there are several issues with the MPEG PS reader in mkvtoolnix. I want to improve it during the next days. The goal is definitely to have at least MPEG-2 and EAC3 working properly, maybe even VC-1.

Old 3rd March 2007, 13:56   #169  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Thank you. Your continued work on mkvtoolnix is greatly appreciated!
Old 3rd March 2007, 13:57   #170  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

BTW: Could you please upload that EVO file? I definitely need more test files, especially ones on which mkvmerge chokes.

Old 3rd March 2007, 14:13   #171  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
BTW: Could you please upload that EVO file? I definitely need more test files, especially ones on which mkvmerge chokes.
The Departed Trailer from here stalls mkvmerge:

ftp://mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/samples/evob/

I'll see if I can find more problematic evo files.
Old 3rd March 2007, 16:20   #172  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I know that the Departed trailer chokes mkvmege; I'm working on fixing it. Departed is also a VERY strange file because the packet IDs indicate "MPEG-2 video" but there's no sequence header found. Not even mplayer can play that file.

Old 3rd March 2007, 17:31   #173  |  Link
Haali

It has H.264 in stream 0xe2.
Old 3rd March 2007, 18:16   #174  |  Link
Gusar

Quote:
Not even mplayer can play that file.
It can:
Code:
mplayer -psprobe 100000 Deprated\ Trailer.EVO
Old 3rd March 2007, 18:21   #175  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I see. Thanks for the info, that should make fixing mkvmerge easier

Old 5th March 2007, 12:35   #176  |  Link
DeepBeepMeep

There is a tremendous opportunity to boost even more Matroska polularity at the moment since it is the only container that can easily contain VC1 and DD+ thanks to recent progress made on mkvtoolnix and Haali filter. With a complete and simple solution to backup HDDVD and BluRay the Divx success is not far way...

Potential bug report:
-------------------

I don't know if this a bug. I have used HDdVD Evo demux on the second part file of the HDDVD Total Recall to extract the DTS HD track. If I try then to mux it inside a mkv file use mkvtoolnix.
First I have got tons of "Warning: dts_packetizer: skipping XXX bytes " which is mkvtoolnix ignoring the HD part of the DTS track. That's fine with me since there are so many of them the warning log window which keeps all the history gets slower and slower. There should be a way to ignore these types of warning. In order to obtain a fast mux I use the command line.

Then 2/3 in the process I have the warning below:

----------------
Warning: dts_packetizer: skipping 780 bytes (no valid DTS header found). This mi
ght make audio/video go out of sync, but this stream is damaged.
DTS header information changed! - New format:
DTS Frame Header Information:
Frame Type : normal
CRC available : no
Frame Size : PCM core samples=32*97=3104, 0.000723 milliseconds, 204
8 byte
Audio Channels : -1 ES, arrangement: unknown (user defined)
Core sampling frequency: 4294967295
Transmission_bitrate : 32000
Embedded Down Mix : no
Embedded Dynamic Range : no
Embedded Time Stamp : no
Embedded Auxiliary Data: no
HDCD Master : yes
Extended Coding : yes, but unknown
Audio Sync in sub-subs : yes
Low Frequency Effects : yes, interpolation factor 64
Predictor History used : no
Multirate Interpolator : non perfect
Encoder Software Vers. : 7
Copy History Bits : 2
Source PCM Resolution : 16
Front Encoded as Diff. : yes
Surr. Encoded as Diff. : yes
Dialog Normaliz. Gain : -13
Warning: dts_packetizer: skipping 794 bytes (no valid DTS header found). This mi
Warning: 'E:\L1_mainMovie.DTSHD.stream.01.mpa' track 0: The current packet's tim
ecode is smaller than that of the previous packet. This usually means that the s
ource file is a Matroska file that has not been created 100% correctly. The time
codes of all packets will be adjusted by 1542692ms in order not to lose any data
. This may throw A/V sync off, but that can be corrected with mkvmerge's "--sync
" option. If you already use "--sync" and you still get this warning then do NOT
worry -- this is normal. If this error happens more than once and you get this
message more than once for a particular track then either is the source file bad
ly mastered, or mkvmerge contains a bug. In this case you should contact the aut
hor Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>.
DTS header information changed! - New format:
DTS Frame Header Information:
Frame Type : normal
CRC available : no
Frame Size : PCM core samples=32*16=512, 10.666667 milliseconds, 201
2 byte
Audio Channels : 5, arrangement: C, L, R, SL, SR (center, left, right, s
urround-left, surround-right)
Core sampling frequency: 48000
Transmission_bitrate : 1536000
Embedded Down Mix : no
Embedded Dynamic Range : no
Embedded Time Stamp : no
Embedded Auxiliary Data: yes
HDCD Master : no
Extended Coding : no
Audio Sync in sub-subs : yes
Low Frequency Effects : yes, interpolation factor 64
Predictor History used : yes
Multirate Interpolator : non perfect
Encoder Software Vers. : 7
Copy History Bits : 1
Source PCM Resolution : 16
Front Encoded as Diff. : no
Surr. Encoded as Diff. : no
Dialog Normaliz. Gain : 0
Warning: dts_packetizer: skipping 730 bytes (no valid DTS header found). This mi

--------------

mkvtoolnix has incorrectly detected a change in the DTS audio track, then it switches back but add a huge delay. The consequence is that playback after two thirds of the file gives no sound and opening the mkv file takes much more time.

It could be a glitch with HD DVD Evo Demux or a bug in the detection algorithm of mkvtoolnix which instead of skipping the HD part of the DTS stream interprets it as an audio track change.

In any case I think an easy solution could be to ignore audio track change with incorrect audio channels (here -1), this would make mkvtoolnix much more resilient to damage sources.

Anyway, thanks for your great work
Old 5th March 2007, 13:06   #177  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
2007-03-05 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>

* mkvmerge: new feature: Added support for handling AVC/h.264
tracks in MPEG program streams.
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...20070305-1.rar

At least it works with 'Departed Trailer.evo'.

Old 5th March 2007, 13:14   #178  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBeepMeep View Post
I don't know if this a bug. I have used HDdVD Evo demux on the second part file of the HDDVD Total Recall to extract the DTS HD track. If I try then to mux it inside a mkv file use mkvtoolnix.
mkvmerge does not yet support DTS HD tracks. If it thinks that it is DTS then you're on your own at the moment.

Quote:
First I have got tons of "Warning: dts_packetizer: skipping XXX bytes " which is mkvtoolnix ignoring the HD part of the DTS track. That's fine with me since there are so many of them the warning log window which keeps all the history gets slower and slower. There should be a way to ignore these types of warning. In order to obtain a fast mux I use the command line.
You should get the best speed by redirecting the output to another file, e.g.

mkvmerge ... -o output.mkv input.evo ... > log.txt

While I agree that a feature to limit such a flood of message would be desirable I won't spend time on it. The little time I do have goes to improving EVO support in general.

Quote:
Then 2/3 in the process I have the warning below:
Warning: 'E:\L1_mainMovie.DTSHD.stream.01.mpa' track 0: The current packet's timecode is smaller than that of the previous packet.
mkvtoolnix has incorrectly detected a change in the DTS audio track, then it switches back but add a huge delay. The consequence is that playback after two thirds of the file gives no sound and opening the mkv file takes much more time.
Hmm, interesting. Can you upload that file to my FTP server? The problem with EVO support is that I have virtually no access to such files except for the ones you guys provide.

Old 5th March 2007, 13:48   #179  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
* mkvmerge: enhancement: Fixed the MPEG PS reader so that it will just skip blocks whose headers it cannot parse instead of aborting.
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...20070305-2.rar

Madshi: This build works with DELSCENE4.EVO. Could you please test it against the other files you have?

Old 5th March 2007, 18:46   #180  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...20070305-2.rar

Madshi: This build works with DELSCENE4.EVO. Could you please test it against the other files you have?
Works with all 3. Thanks for the speedy fix...
Closed Thread