Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 22nd August 2011, 20:09   #1  |  Link
a.k.a.

What app will still rip if BD won't play smoothly?

Hello all,

Looking for a software / codec / driver setup to rip BDs even if I can't play them smoothly.

I'm using a very minimal BD setup:

* ThinkPad T61p with a 2.2GHz Core2Duo CPU and nVidia Quadro FX570M GPU
* No HDMI (but I don't care about external display)
* ASUS SBW-06C1S-U BD writer that connects with USB 2.0 and uses HDCP
* Server 2008 x64 or Vista x64
* Latest driver according to Windows Update is Microsoft's 2006 CD-ROM driver (and Asus hasn't released a different driver)

Surprise! The setup produces very choppy output, and the only program I've found that'll actually play it is payware: ArcSoft Total Media Theatre 5. (VLC 1.11 doesn't seem to recognize it as a BD.) The disc I'm playing is National Geographic's Great Migrations, with AACS as a DRM.

Inability to play on this machine doesn't bother me per se, as I'm really just interested for the moment in archiving some BD discs / converting to DVD files. In another year or two I'll have the home theater going.

At this point, what software could I use to get a good rip (despite HDCP) onto an HDD even if I can't play BD adequately? I assume I'd just use multiAVCHD to convert to DVD once it's ripped.

a.k.a. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 00:38   #2  |  Link
rik1138

AnyDVD will make a backup copy of the disc on your harddrive... It doesn't care if you can _play_ the disc at all, it's just data files like any other file on the computer...
rik1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:17   #3  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
At this point, what software could I use to get a good rip (despite HDCP) onto an HDD even if I can't play BD adequately
Other choices would be DVDFab, DVDFab Passkey, MakeMKV (Full Disc Backup)...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blu-ray, hdcp, multiavhcd, rip, vista