Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 5th September 2006, 18:37   #41  |  Link
LeMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bira
That would be nice, thanks!
+1
LeMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 15:18   #42  |  Link
derebo

yeah! that'd be real nice
derebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 19:43   #43  |  Link
FitzGerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtnoise13 View Post
Another way :
1°) srt --> ssa with Subrip or SubtitleWorkshop.
2°) ssa --> son with MaestroSBT.
3°) son --> vobsub (idx/sub) with son2vobsub.

I've been using this method for a couple of months on international TV with fan produced subtitles.

Previously, the subtitles have been pretty low on the screen, and this past week I wanted to move them up. When I moved them up there was a strange underline artifact under one-line subtitles. This only happened with subtitles on one line. I hadn't noticed because before the artifact stayed in the overscan area of my TV.

I changed the borders to multiples of 8... but that didn't work either. I'm not seeing any artifacts on the sides, but it only is on the bottom. I think it has to do with the borders that are put on the .bmp... but I'm not sure.

Anyone have any idea on what is going on? Someone posted this problem in the forum, but its been a couple years. This method seems to work well other than that glitch I am getting.
FitzGerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2006, 00:40   #44  |  Link
Yusaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzGerald View Post
I've been using this method for a couple of months on international TV with fan produced subtitles.

Previously, the subtitles have been pretty low on the screen, and this past week I wanted to move them up. When I moved them up there was a strange underline artifact under one-line subtitles. This only happened with subtitles on one line. I hadn't noticed because before the artifact stayed in the overscan area of my TV.

I changed the borders to multiples of 8... but that didn't work either. I'm not seeing any artifacts on the sides, but it only is on the bottom. I think it has to do with the borders that are put on the .bmp... but I'm not sure.

Anyone have any idea on what is going on? Someone posted this problem in the forum, but its been a couple years. This method seems to work well other than that glitch I am getting.
Could be something wrong in RLE encoding in my program or some bug in MaestroSBT. If you send me some sample SSA (saved from inside maestroSBT) and the resulting VobSub I'll try to look at it.

my mail is [forum username]@anime.cz
Yusaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 06:49   #45  |  Link
FitzGerald

I apologize for not posting sooner. Been away from the CPU due to travel. Upon further review it my issue seems to have more to do with getting a new computer and not setting up VideoLAN.

When I tired viewing subtitles on MPC they came out in the correct font and didn't have a black line. I'm going to be converting some more in the next day so I will be able to definatively know what the problem is.
Old 8th October 2006, 09:36   #46  |  Link
FitzGerald

Doing more testing, and it looks like I am doing something that is either incompatible with my hardware player and VLC, or something else screwy is going on.

Yusaku, YGM.
Old 22nd December 2006, 20:08   #47  |  Link
manusse
SubtitleCreator's Co-Dev

From now on, you can also use SubtitleCreator to convert your subtitles in both directions:

Sup <-> VobSub

You can also add a new language stream to an existing VobSub file (must be an unique feature).

Cheers
Manusse

NB: At present only the subtitles extracted using VSRip (and not VobSub configure) can be open.
manusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 12:20   #48  |  Link
qknet

Quote:
Originally Posted by manusse View Post

You can also add a new language stream to an existing VobSub file (must be an unique feature).
I've been waiting for this for long. Will download and try it.

Thanks again, man.
qknet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2007, 11:33   #49  |  Link
qknet

happy that I finally could make multiple language idx/sub. Yet, it seems the idx/subs made by SubtitleCreator (single or multple langs) are not recognized by my SAP which plays the idx/sub created by txt2vobsub.
Old 1st January 2007, 11:42   #50  |  Link
LeMoi

Maybe you can open with SubResync the files you created with SC, and re-save them with subresync ?
LeMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2007, 18:55   #51  |  Link
manusse
SubtitleCreator's Co-Dev

@qknet

Hi,

I am interested by your problem. Could you please give more details about what you've done, especially:

-What is your SAP brand and model?
-What do you try to play the subtitle with (AVI file, DVD, ...)
-Did you try to play the same subtitles with a software player (MPC, KMPlayer, ...)
-How did you generate you sub/idx files. From srt/text sub or from SUP files?
-Did you try to reopen your generated subtitles with SubtitleCreator and did it open it?

Cheers
Manusse
Old 2nd January 2007, 04:56   #52  |  Link
qknet

@manusse

- I don't remember exactly what the series number is but my SAP is a LG which support idx/sub (generated by txt2vobsub with default setting)

- I tried to play with Avi + idx/sub
- the subtitles displayed fine in computer (language names recognized)

- The idx/sub were generated from srt file

- i did not try to reopen the generated subtitles with SubCreator, but opened them with VobSubStrip (which comes with K-lite codec), however the language name was not recognized there.

I think i will try tonight (when i'm home) with what LeMoi suggested and will report if it works.

Thanks for your program.
Old 2nd January 2007, 15:57   #53  |  Link
qknet

@manusse

- My SAP is an LG DG9923P
- Opening the idx/sub (the tested one contains 2 languages) and saving by SubResync (as suggested by LeMoi) doesn't help. The avi plays without subs.

But i tried opening the idx/sub with vobsubstrip again, haha, language names show well. I stripped them all and burnt again. this time the subs were recognized but only the second track (english) showed the texts, while the first track showed nothing.

Hope the info can be the input for you.

Last edited by qknet; 2nd January 2007 at 16:47.
Old 2nd January 2007, 19:23   #54  |  Link
manusse
SubtitleCreator's Co-Dev

@qknet

In your first message, you wrote that the language names were not recognized by VobSubStrip. In your second message, you write the contrary. Did you modify your files inbetween?

I would like to fix this bug.
What would help me is if you could send me an example of non-working file. (use PM to send me an address where you upload them like http://www.megaupload.com/ for example).

Also, as I don't have a SAP, could please tell me with which PC software you see a problem. Then, if I can reproduce the bug, I am quite sure I will be able to fix it.

[edit] I tried making a two language VobSub file using a srt file. I was able to open it (languages recognized) using Sub2Sup, subresync and VobSubStrip. If you have a problem with one of those proggies, it interests me. Also make sure you use SC 2.1b4.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Manusse

Last edited by manusse; 2nd January 2007 at 20:18.
Old 19th January 2007, 05:42   #55  |  Link
FitzGerald

I think I have found a problem with stand alone players and Subtitle Creator with VobSub support.

It is a problem with the way the .idx files are created, but very simple to fix. I have been using the SubRip/MaestroSBT/son2vobsub method to convert .srt into .idx/.sub vobsub files. As mentioned in post #43, I'd been having problems with underline artifiacts on single-line subtitles.

Today I tried out Subtitle Creator. The first two attempts I made at playing the files on my standalone, it didn't recognize there were subtitles. After reviewing the .idx file I noticed a line missing. I'm not sure why it is not in your .idx file, but prior to the beginning of the timestamps, I set mine to look like:

# English
id: en, index: 0
# Decomment next line...
# alt: English
# Vob/Cell ID: 1, 1 (PTS: 0)
timestamp: 00:00:01:025, filepos: 000000000

Notice, the line

This line was not in the .idx file as created by Subtitle Creator. I think this was also a bug I found in son2vobsub, but I manually inserted the line with a text editor.

This has been confirmed on my standalone player... without the line, no subtitles, with the line they showed up (it was single language, 1 set). Using a Philips DVP-5960... it is based on a fairly well used chipset.

This might be the same problem seen by qknet. I did not see this when I opened the .idx file in VLC Player... so it also could be a problem with standalones only. I'm also not sure why a line commented out would make such a big difference.
Old 19th January 2007, 19:37   #56  |  Link
manusse
SubtitleCreator's Co-Dev

Hi FitzGerald,

Could you please check if this line is needed only once or for every language if you use a multi-language VobSub file.

Thanks
Manusse
Old 20th January 2007, 03:54   #57  |  Link
FitzGerald

Manusse,
I don't normally create multi-language files... but I do have some to look at. I think it is needed once for every language.

This is one example from the .idx file. Notice, they use 1,2 and a different PTS. I think if you're not fooling around with anything else special it would be sufficient just to add it in once for each language.

# English
id: en, index: 0
# Decomment next line...
# alt: English
# Vob/Cell ID: 1, 2 (PTS: 24024)
timestamp: 00:00:28:632, filepos: 000000000

# Francais
id: fr, index: 1
# Decomment next line...
# alt: Francais
# Vob/Cell ID: 1, 1 (PTS: 24024)
timestamp: 00:00:22:460, filepos: 0005b0800

Hope this helps.
Old 20th January 2007, 10:46   #58  |  Link
manusse
SubtitleCreator's Co-Dev

Hi,

Could you just try with your SAP. First put the same line for each language in the idx file:

Then see if your SAP can play every language.

Thanks
Manusse
Old 20th January 2007, 11:45   #59  |  Link
FitzGerald

Okay. I will probably try tommorrow. I'm not that familiar with creating multi-language .idx files (I'll probably have to search a bit). I'll end up making different sized fonts.... and see what happens.

BTW, using your tool is much easier than the previous SubRip/MaestroSBT/son2vobsub way I was creating these files previously. I've been fooling around to find the correct settings for my player.

I'll have to do more testing to see if the black underline artifact shows up as well. On VLC it did not which is promising (this showed up under VLC using the previous method). Currently I'm watching 16x9 content, so a black underline is hidden... this weekend I'll end up testing with full-screen content as well.

Thanks for the work you've done... for such a small user-base. Not sure why people don't use .idx/.sub more often, especially for stand alone's...
Old 20th January 2007, 18:06   #60  |  Link
manusse
SubtitleCreator's Co-Dev

Creating multi-language .idx file is very easy using SubtitleCreator.

You create a sub/idx pair of file from a srt (or sub/sup...). Then using a second srt (or the same), you create again a sub/idx pair that you save to the same filename. SubtitleCreator will add the subtitle at the end of the first one thus allowing you to create a 2 language file. You can put up to 32 streams into VobSub files.

Cheers
Manusse