Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 16th August 2008, 01:45   #2021  |  Link
weaver4

I tried changing the name and it did not help.
Old 18th August 2008, 00:04   #2022  |  Link
stax76

@Grossmeister

Does it mean the download feature is completely broke for you? Many packages contain additional or modified files, the 7z package for instance has a additional manifest file to make the UAC dialog in Vista popup trying extracting to a directory requiring elevated user privilegs to write.

@weaver4

I guess MP4Box don't accept your subtitle file probably because of a problem with the text encoding.

@all

.NET service packs likely cause no problems.

Last edited by stax76; 18th August 2008 at 00:09.
Old 20th August 2008, 23:06   #2023  |  Link
fano

I'm trying to create a Divx avi file with 2 audio track: an Ac3 5.1 and a PCM (wav) 2 channel... it's a music video so I want to retain all the audio quality (space is not a constrain, too) but when I try to add the wav track demuxed by DGindex StaxRip say that avi continer doesn't support wav audio... and I must to compress it!

I've tried using Megui and at start it doesn't want the wav, too (err... doesn't see it in the file browser) so I've tried to change the extension in mp3 and this convinced megui to create my file

And It plays well on WMP, Media Player Classic, Mediaportal and more important - for me at least - on a standalone divx player...

But I like a lot Staxrip and I would use it... with megui I have to do a lot more passage

So why wav exension is prohibithed?

I think a avi with wav uncompressed audio is nothing strange...
or am I wrong?

Ahh another thing... I've tried this in my Windows 2000 "mule" PC
and the installer say he wants "Windows 5.01" (maybe it means XP?)

Thanks for attention,
fano
Old 27th August 2008, 05:57   #2024  |  Link
Albo
OSX User

There is probably a very simple solution for this, but I can't find one anywhere. Attempting to open an mkv file with the latest version of the app, and get the following error.

Last edited by Albo; 27th August 2008 at 15:07.
Old 27th August 2008, 10:09   #2025  |  Link
stax76

@fana

Please try the beta regarding wav.

@Albo

Welcome to the forum, please read the forum rules linked on top of this page, don't post torrent like filenames.

With defaults StaxRip should not attempt to open 264 files with DirectShowSource so I don't know what's wrong. You can post a diagnostic file as described in the bug reporting thread linked in my signature. For beginners this error is too cryptic, I hope I can improve StaxRip giving better guidance.
Old 27th August 2008, 11:23   #2026  |  Link
Yowza

When quantizer is enabled for x264, staxrip disables the birate slider. Is there anyway to override this so that i can still select a birate? I can set --birate in command line in x264 options but is there anyway to get the bitrate slider to remain?
Old 27th August 2008, 11:30   #2027  |  Link
stax76

With fixed or average quantizer aka crf mode you don't work with bitrates as it depends on the compressibility of the source. In the help of the x264 dialog you can find links to x264 tutorials, please read them first before making any changes in the x264 dialog.

Last edited by stax76; 27th August 2008 at 11:38.
Old 27th August 2008, 11:45   #2028  |  Link
Yowza

This page says otherwise:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guid...arx264gui.html

Quote:
Quantizer/Bitrate: This setting is basically a trade-off between visual quality and filesize. If you are using bitrate mode, then you simply set the bitrate that you want to encode your video at. Higher bitrates increase the size of your output file, and you can see the estimated filesize as you modify the bitrate value. If you are using either constant quantizer or constant quality mode, then this is where you select the quantizer to use. Valid values are from 0-51, with lower values giving better quality, but larger filesizes. A quantizer of 18 is generally considered the lowest that you should select, as it's unlikely that you will see much visual improvement by going any lower. For those of you familiar with Xvid, a quantizer of 18 here is equivalent to Xvid's quantizer 2. The default quantizer value is 20, which gives a rather decent tradeoff between quality and size.
Old 27th August 2008, 13:57   #2029  |  Link
Albo
OSX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax View Post
@Albo

Welcome to the forum, please read the forum rules linked on top of this page, don't post torrent like filenames.
Not sure what you mean by this, I read the rules, and have complied I believe.

Quote:
With defaults StaxRip should not attempt to open 264 files with DirectShowSource so I don't know what's wrong. You can post a diagnostic file as described in the bug reporting thread linked in my signature. For beginners this error is too cryptic, I hope I can improve StaxRip giving better guidance.
The app doesn't crash so I am unable to file a bug report. I had it working fine on a previous install, so perhaps the latest version of the app sets something differently?
I've uninstalled everything associated with the program, and then reinstalled without success.

Last edited by Albo; 27th August 2008 at 14:00.
Old 27th August 2008, 14:44   #2030  |  Link
stax76

@Yowza

In quantizer mode bitrate will simply be ignored I guess, such questions are best covered in the avc forum however.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by this, I read the rules, and have complied I believe.
I already said it's a torrent file, it violates rule 6.

Quote:
The app doesn't crash so I am unable to file a bug report.
The bug report thread explains how to generate the diagnostic file manually.
Old 27th August 2008, 15:02   #2031  |  Link
Albo
OSX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax View Post
I already said it's a torrent file, it violates rule 6.
Sorry, I understand now, my apologies.

Quote:
The bug report thread explains how to generate the diagnostic file manually.
Excellent, thank you.
Old 27th August 2008, 15:08   #2032  |  Link
RickA

Greets,

@Yowza, Setting Quantizer (or CRF) and setting Bitrates are like two seperate roads one can travel during the encoding process. You are not able to set both at the same time. Just like you cannot turn both left AND right at the same time while driving. Both roads will lead you to your finished file destination. They just go different ways to get there.

They are two seperate modes that do not work at the same time. They will conflict with each other if you force them both on via command line or other means. To requote what you referenced. "If you are using bitrate mode, then you simply set the bitrate..." and "If you are using either constant quantizer or constant quality mode, then this is where you select the quantizer...". They are describing two seperate modes to choose from - one or the other. Does not imply you can set both at once. Hope this helps. :-)

Cheers,
Rick

'Allo 'Allo
Old 28th August 2008, 21:18   #2033  |  Link
stax76

beta (2008-08-28)

* Updated x264 to 951
* Updated Sharktooth's x264 profiles
* Finally a option to create a temporary directory
* Full Support for some privat alpha H.264 encoder

Please note that Sharktooth's profiles uses options only available in patched x264 builds. I've removed this settings and they won't be imported using the import feature.
Old 29th August 2008, 14:03   #2034  |  Link
RickA

Great! Thank you very much Stax. Like a fine wine, your program keeps getting better and better. :-)

Cheers,
Rick

'Allo 'Allo
Old 29th August 2008, 19:11   #2035  |  Link
Riki

Hello stax, and gang! I have a question that has perplexed me a little, hopefully I can get some insight.

I used staxrip to encode some videos that I intend to be streamed over the web using the wowza streaming server. I encoded the videos using x264 insane quality (200 bitrate)and Im very pleased with the filesize/quality! The problem is there are large delays when seeking to parts of the video and playing it.

I also used ffmpegx on osx to encode the same videos, they have an option in there to have a "constant bitrate" but even at a bitrate of 200 the filesize is much bigger. The good thing is it seeks much faster and performs better on the streaming server.

The question I have is, how can I encode using staxrip to have the highest quality, lowest filesize and yet keep it performing great on a streaming server? I couldnt find a "constant bitrate" option in staxrip, is there something like this, and would it do the trick?

Thanks for the amazing work you are doing!
- Riki
Old 30th August 2008, 10:45   #2036  |  Link
R.A.F.

Where have the quality-wise settings for the x-264 codec gone? In beta-version from 16/08 they were yet in, in vers. from 28/08 they are out again? - Did I miss something?
Old 30th August 2008, 12:18   #2037  |  Link
R.A.F.

Ok, found a short explanation to Sharktooth's quality wise-settings HERE. - No answer needed anymore. Sorry again!

Last edited by R.A.F.; 30th August 2008 at 12:21.
Old 31st August 2008, 11:34   #2038  |  Link
Yowza

After searching google for hours and reading the documentation, i'm having trouble loading the avisynth plugin FDecimate. As i understand you just drop in FDecimate.dll inside the applications directory - C:\Program Files (x86)\StaxRip\Applications\AviSynth Plugins
and staxrip should pick it up when you right click in the "Filters" area on the main screen. But it just doesn't appear in the tree list (when you right click and go to add). Any ideas?

Last edited by Yowza; 31st August 2008 at 11:38.
Old 31st August 2008, 11:52   #2039  |  Link
Yowza

Ok had to right click on in the Filters pane, Profiles and after adding the following under [Misc] :

FDecimate = FDecimate()

I was then able to select to via Filters -> Add -> Misc.
Old 1st September 2008, 22:25   #2040  |  Link
burfadel

Is there any way to avoid virtualdubmod? Sometimes when enconding avi files, it cuts the end of the audio file off! The audio can be added later using belight/besweet and yamb for example, but it is an annoyance. It doesn't happen all the time either. I realise this is an issue with virtualdubmod, but since its not being developed or maintained any longer its an issue that won't be resolved (unfortunately).

Ideally it would be good if it could be avoided where possible! I realise cutting and trimming is a bit more difficult, but at least for simple extraction and encoding (without cutting) I'm sure there are other methods available! Its only been a problem with avi files from what I can tell.

Its very unfortunate virtualdubmod is now very outdated, and likewise besweet. Besweet is another issue in itself, its fine for the moment but later on it may be a different matter!
Closed Thread

Tags
gui, h.264, h.265, hevc, mkv, x264, x265