Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Closed Thread

Old 2nd September 2019, 11:35   #1661  |  Link
tebasuna51

The selecction of the Avs+ version to use is make by the program than call to AviSynth.

AVSVersion32.exe, avs2yuv.exe, x264_x86.exe, ... call to Avs+ 32 bits
AVSVersion64.exe, x264_x64.exe, ... call to Avs+ 64 bits

For instance the 'BD3D2MK3D-> Help -> AviSynth version' run the avs script "Test_Avisynth_Installation.avs" with LoadPlugin("VSFilter.dll")
Like my default avs player (VirtualDub2_64) is 64 bits I get the error:
"Cannot load a 32 bit DLL in 64 bit AviSynth..."

Changed to VSFilter64.dll work fine.
Old 3rd September 2019, 08:00   #1662  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I have understood that soon after having posted my (stupid) question, and I have immediately removed it, so I did not expect an answer. But thanks anyway.

Now, I wonder if I must keep the avs2yuv trick to encode with x264 or x265 64-bit, for the users who have installed only the classic Avisynth 2.6 32-bit, or if I can assume that the users who want to encode in 64-bit have already installed Avisynth+ 64-bit, or will accept to install it ?

In other words, I may replace the current option "Use 64-bit X264 with avs2yuv on 64-bit PC" with a "Force 32-bit encoding" that will be available only on 64-bit PC when a 64-bit version of Avisynth is installed. When this option is enabled, BD3D2MK3D will then generate the project with 32-bit tools only (Avisynth AND X264/X265, without avs2yuv). For me, that will be simpler to implement, as I will not have to mix 32 and 64-bit tools, but that will force the users of a 64-bit PC to install Avisynth+ 64-bit if they want a fast encoding. Since Avisynth+ seems well compatible with the classic Avisynth, I suppose that it's not a problem. What do you think ?
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:16   #1663  |  Link
tebasuna51

Well, the first question than BD3D2MK3D must know is if are running a W32 OS, then only Avs, x264, x265... 32 bits can be used.
AVSVersion32.exe can be used to know if AviSynth is installed, if not BD3D2MK3D can't work, if yes there are only a way to work.

If a OS W64 is running you can use AVSVersion64.exe to know if Avs 64 bits is installed.
If only Avs 32 is installed you can inform the user about the option of install Avs 64 but you need use avs2yuv with x264/x265.
If Avs 64 is installed you can generate all avs scripts with 64 plugins and not use avs2yuv.

I think the current option "Use 64-bit X264 with avs2yuv on 64-bit PC" is not necesary, always use the best option allowed, only inform than installing Avs+ 64 the encode is fast.
Old 3rd September 2019, 17:06   #1664  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks. It's exactly what I have planned to do. But I wonder if I should add an option to force the usage of the 32-bit avisynth even when the 64-bit version is installed, in case of problems with avisynth+ x64 or with one of its plugins.
Old 4th September 2019, 01:29   #1665  |  Link
tebasuna51

Ok, is your choice.
Old 4th September 2019, 17:18   #1666  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
I don't know QSVEnc or VCEEnc, with NVEnc I can make a equivalent command line encode except for --frame-packing 3 (basic for 3D output) but maybe any NVEnc expert can do it.
What binary do you use ? ffmpeg ? I must admit that I'm a bit lost. There are many web pages about NVEnc, but none with an exe to download.

Can you suggest a command line ? (It is a pity that the FramePacking option is missing, but it is missing for x265 too, so I suppose that it is not mandatory for most users.)

As I have almost finished to modify BD3D2MK3D to support AniSynth+, I'm looking for another thing to do. ;-)
Old 5th September 2019, 00:40   #1667  |  Link
tebasuna51

Here there are binary releases and some help: https://github.com/rigaya/NVEnc
Old 5th September 2019, 08:48   #1668  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

OK, thanks. I have not been able to find any download link for the exe, but after some googling, I found this. So now I have the exe. But I don't think that my old Nvidia graphic card supports the NVEnc hardware acceleration. Only cuda. So, it will be difficult for me to test NVEnc. Furthermore, I have read often that the quality of the encoding is very bad. So, I'm not sure anymore that I want to implement it. But I will do some tests anyway. But first things first. I will release a beta with the support for Avisynth+ 64-bit immediately...
Old 5th September 2019, 09:09   #1669  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v1.12beta2

As promised, here is BD3D2MK3D with support for Avisynth+ 64-bit.

It seems to work fine, but since I have had to modify a lot of things, I may have introduced new bugs, or broken existing features, so this version is a beta. Please test it carefully. In case of problem, you can still download v1.11 here.

Quote:
v1.12beta2 (September 5, 2019)
- Support for AviSynth+ 32 and 64-bit. It is strongly recommended to install AviSynth+ 64-bit !
- Added the 64-bit version of the AviSynth filters necessary for the conversion to 3D (in toolset\plugins64bit)
- Replaced the old VSFilter 32-bit avisynth plugin with the new and much faster version from the xy-VSFilter Project
- DGMVCSource is now the default MVC decoder again because its 64-bit version is faster than FRIMSource
- Replaced Avs2YUV 0.24 (32-bit) with Avs2YUV 0.24bm2, and added Avs2YUV 64-bit 0.24bm2 (necessary to use AviSynth+ 64-bit with x265 64-bit)
- The Avisynth version is now detected with AVSVersion32/64.exe (Thanks tebasuna51!) and the Help -> Avisynth Version menu has been redesigned.
Download v1.12 beta 2: BD3D2MK3D_v1.12beta2.7z

Of course, to use it, it is strongly recommended to install AviSynth+ 64-bit. However, I would appreciate if someone can test this version before installing Avisynth+ , to check if I have not broken the support for the classic Avisynth 2.6. Also, I have been unable to check this version on a 32-bit PC, so if someone has an antique at home, I would be interested to know if BD3D2MK3D runs still without problem in a 32-bit-only environment.

Thanks in advance. If I don't have negative feedback in a week or so, I will release v1.12 officially.

Last edited by r0lZ; 6th September 2019 at 09:32. Reason: Changed the URL to AviSynth+ download
Old 5th September 2019, 12:39   #1670  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
...So, it will be difficult for me to test NVEnc. Furthermore, I have read often that the quality of the encoding is very bad. So, I'm not sure anymore that I want to implement it...
I can't recommend the encoder, also my cheap nVidia GPU can't work.

I make any test with a powerfull GPU (in gamming PC of my son) and the quality is comparable with Fast presets x264 the is not so interesting for me.

Quote:
As promised, here is BD3D2MK3D with support for Avisynth+ 64-bit...
Of course, to use it, it is strongly recommended to install AviSynth+ 64-bit.
Thanks for the new version.

Please install AVs+ from GitHub with last stable version r2772, or the last test version r2915 in the official Avs+ thread in Doom9

Quote:
However, I would appreciate if someone can test this version before installing Avisynth+ , to check if I have not broken the support for the classic Avisynth 2.6.
We can install also Avs+, and make easy changes between Avs version, with the Universal Avisynth Installer from Groucho2004
Old 5th September 2019, 21:43   #1671  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Indeed, I don't think I'll implement NVEnc. Too much work for a bad result.
Quote:
Please install AVs+ from GitHub with last stable version r2772, or the last test version r2915 in the official Avs+ thread in Doom9
Why ? It seems that http://avs-plus.net/ is the official home of Avisynth+. It may not have the latest beta, but it should have the latest stable version.

Also, honestly, I hate downloading binaries from GitHub. It seems that they like to hide the download. And Avisynth+ is not an exception. I have been unable to find how to download the release for Windows, if it is present. Am I blind ?

Last edited by r0lZ; 5th September 2019 at 22:04.
Old 5th September 2019, 22:34   #1672  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Why ? It seems that http://avs-plus.net/ is the official home of Avisynth+. It may not have the latest beta, but it should have the latest stable version.
avs-plus.net is the Home page of 'ultim' the first Avs+ developper, and the owner of the Doom9 thread https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1643908

In the first post 'ultim' accept the 'pinterf' fork like next Avs+ developper, there are some other forks (Neo in pool and in Universal Avisynth Installer from Groucho2004) but 'pinterf' versions are accepted now like officials.

You can see also the wiki http://avisynth.nl/index.php/AviSynth+, where avs-plus.net is the original project but the pinterf is the latest relase.

Quote:
Also, honestly, I hate downloading binaries from GitHub. It seems that they like to hide the download. And Avisynth+ is not an exception. I have been unable to find how to download the release for Windows, if it is present. Am I blind ?
If you scroll down the page until 'Assets 6' you have:

AviSynthPlus-MT-r2772-with-vc_redist.exe 24 MB (installer + M$ libraries)
AviSynthPlus-MT-r2772.exe 4.5 MB (installer)
AvisynthPlus-r2772-MT-filesonly.7z 3 MB
AvisynthPlus-r2772-MT-filesonly.zip 5.27 MB
Source code (zip)
Source code (tar.gz)

Last edited by tebasuna51; 5th September 2019 at 22:42.
Old 6th September 2019, 09:27   #1673  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
'pinterf' versions are accepted now like officials.
Yes, it's what I have understood after having discovered that there are several authors. All these forks are somewhat disturbing. I will change the URL for AviSynth+ in BD3D2MK3D.
Quote:
If you scroll down the page until 'Assets 6' you have: [...]
So, it's official now. I am really blind !

Thanks !
Old 7th September 2019, 16:16   #1674  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Indeed, I don't think I'll implement NVEnc. Too much work for a bad result.
Your decision of course, but I found that rigaya's NVEncC constant quality mode (somehow equivalent to x264 CRF mode) produces quite good results with my Pascal GPU, and it is said to be even better with newer Turing GPUs.
So if you should have some spare time it may be worth to do your own testing.
Old 8th September 2019, 08:56   #1675  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The problem is that I don't have a compatible graphic card. And honestly, I don't want to buy a new one. It will therefore be difficult to test if my implementation works correctly. So, if I decide to implement it, I will need the help of someone. You ?

And you tell me that its constant quality is comparable to CRF. OK, but with what CRF value ? For x264, the default is CRF 23, but most users think that it's not sufficient, and use CRF 20 or even lower, down to CRF 16. NVEnc's quality can be compared to CRF 20, lower or higher ?
Old 8th September 2019, 12:42   #1676  |  Link
tebasuna51

@Sharc

I think than CRF ([-12-51, default 23.0] Constant Ratefactor. While qp targets a certain quantizer, and bitrate targets a certain filesize, crf targets a certain 'quality'.) is equivalent to rigaya's NVEncC:

Quote:
Constant quality mode can be used by "--vbrhq 0 --vbr-quality <float>".

--vbr-quality <float>

Set target quality when using VBR mode. (0.0-51.0, 0 = automatic)
Maybe you can do some test replacing the encoder in the "__ENCODE_3D.cmd"
For instance if you have:
Quote:
"C:\Portable\Util\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\x264_x64.exe" --output-depth 8 ^
--crf 23 --preset medium ^
--sar 1:1 --range tv --colormatrix bt709 ^
--frame-packing 3 --qpfile chapters_3D.qpfile --frames 158712 --fps 24000/1001 ^
--output "00009_3D.264" "__ENCODE_3D_MOVIE.avs"
You can change it to
Quote:
"C:\Portable\Util\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\NVEncC.exe" --output-depth 8 ^
--vbrhq 0 --vbr-quality 23 --bframes 3 --ref 3 --bref-mode each --lookahead 32 --weightp --aq --direct spatial ^
--sar 1:1 --colormatrix bt709 ^
--chapter chapters_3D_delay.ogm.txt --key-on-chapter --fps 24000/1001 ^
-i "__ENCODE_3D_MOVIE.avs" -o "00009_3D.264"
Replacing the path and filenames in bold by yours and the x264 parameters with NVEncC parameters:

--crf 23 maybe can be replaced with --vbrhq 0 --vbr-quality 23
--preset medium is, more or less, equivalent to --bframes 3 --ref 3 --bref-mode each --lookahead 32 --weightp --aq --direct spatial
--range tv seems the default with --fullrange can be equivalent to --range pc
--frame-packing 3 I don't kown the equivalence
--qpfile chapters_3D.qpfile can be replaced by --chapter chapters_3D_delay.ogm.txt --key-on-chapter
--frames 158712 all frames are always the default for NVEncC or x264/x265

Last edited by tebasuna51; 8th September 2019 at 12:59. Reason: typo
Old 8th September 2019, 12:42   #1677  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
The problem is that I don't have a compatible graphic card. And honestly, I don't want to buy a new one. It will therefore be difficult to test if my implementation works correctly. So, if I decide to implement it, I will need the help of someone. You ?

And you tell me that its constant quality is comparable to CRF. OK, but with what CRF value ? For x264, the default is CRF 23, but most users think that it's not sufficient, and use CRF 20 or even lower, down to CRF 16. NVEnc's quality can be compared to CRF 20, lower or higher ?
My main point was that we should perhaps not be too much discouraged by the "poor quality" reputation of NVEnc alone. The poor reputation of NVEnc is often based on reports from earlier versions and older GPU's. For more recent comparison see for example here.
Regarding the quality factor there is no 1:1 relation with x264's CRF, but the same holds for the CRF value between x264 and x265. One has to play with the settings.
I would agree that comparing at the same file size CPU x264/x265 still have the edge, but the say 5 to 10x encoding speed increase of NVEnc (depending on CPU/GPU) is appealing and may compensate the larger filesize for the personally accepted compromise on visual quality.
Anyway, my post was not meant as a feature request. If you should however decide to add NVEnc I would be willing to try it with my Pascal GTX 1050Ti which is - unfortunatley - not the most advanced.
Old 8th September 2019, 12:55   #1678  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
@Sharc

I think than CRF ([-12-51, default 23.0] Constant Ratefactor. While qp targets a certain quantizer, and bitrate targets a certain filesize, crf targets a certain 'quality'.) is equivalent to rigaya's NVEncC:

Maybe you can do some test replacing the encoder in the "__ENCODE_3D.cmd"
For instance if you have:

You can change it to

Replacing the path and filenames in bold by yours and the x264 parameters with NVEncC parameters:

--crf 23 maybe can be replaced with --vbrhq 0 --vbr-quality 23
--preset medium is, more or less, equivalent to --bframes 3 --ref 3 --bref-mode each --lookahead 32 --weightp --aq --direct spatial
--range tv seems the default with --fullrange can be equivalent to --range pc
--qpfile chapters_3D.qpfile can be replaced by --chapter chapters_3D_delay.ogm.txt --key-on-chapter
Yes, I did my constant quality encodes with rigaya's NVEnC according to his recommendation (but outside of BD3D2MK3D) and found it to be quite good. Thanks for your hints how to modify "__ENCODE_3D.cmd", so I can try when needed.

Edit:
My NVEncC settings:
--fps 23.976 --codec h264 --profile high --level 4.1 --sar 1:1 --lookahead 24 --vbrhq 0 --vbr-quality 24.00 --max-bitrate 40000 --aq --aq-strength 6 --gop-len 24 --ref 3 --nonrefp --bframes 3 --bref-mode disabled --mv-precision Q-pel --cabac --deblock --preset quality --colormatrix bt709 --bluray

Last edited by Sharc; 8th September 2019 at 13:16. Reason: Settings added
Old 8th September 2019, 17:20   #1679  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
As promised, here is BD3D2MK3D with support for Avisynth+ 64-bit...
Work fine for me.

And yes DGMVCSource seems faster than FRIMSource, with the same sample than before:

Quote:
encoded 158712 frames, 52.37 fps, 3536.54 kb/s
Encoding finished 08/09/2019 16:17:08,78 -> 50:32,33
And AVSVersion32/64.exe are from Groucho2004, not from me.
Old 9th September 2019, 09:30   #1680  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
The frame-packing argument is not really necessary. It adds just a flag in the video headers that informs the player of the type of 3D. It is used by my Samsung TV to display the movie in 3D without the need of selecting the 3D mode manually with the remote. But other TVs or players use the stereo-mode of the MKV header or even an extension of the file name (such as "SBS") to do the same thing. So, the utility of the --frame-packing argument depends of your player. It is better, of course, to include it anyway, but if it is not present, the worse thing that can happen is that you will have to press a button on the remote when the movie begins.
Quote:
This argument is not mandatory either. It is used only by x264 and x265 to display the progress % in the title bar of the command prompt window when the encoding is in progress. You can therefore safely omit it, but an important info will be missing.
Closed Thread