Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 26th November 2022, 03:13   #19741  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Time for another update...

This will bring you up to date to v1.26.3

And an Avisynth update as well (read the changelog)

simply unpack, and overwrite the folders & files !!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1grrv...11-22).7z/file
Old 26th November 2022, 13:45   #19742  |  Link
Ryushin

Update - Thank you

Thank Atak for the update and the new features. I appreciate it.

If you have time would be nice to have SMDegrain replace MDegrain. The results are just staggering and I resisted doing it for so long because I thought MDegrain did such a good job it could not really improve that much with SMDegrain. SMDegrain's output is so much improved it's staggering. It's like the difference MDegrain made over HQDN3D and that I would never go back to HQDN3D after seeing the results for MDegrain. Now SMDegrain has made MDegrain obsolete.

Now I'm at the point where the output is so clean with SMDegrain I think something must be wrong as the file sizes are so much smaller and I must have lost detail. Every detailed comparison I've made shows that I was wrong and the output from SMDegrain has not only removed the grain, but since the grain is removed, details actually stand out and everything appears crisper. I've actually started re-encoding older films and watching them again such as The Terminator, The Edge, etc. just because the difference in detail is so dramatic it is like experiencing the film all over again and it is a joy to watch.

SMDegrain also does not produce the detail blur I saw with MDegrain3 in a characters face when they turned their head.

The only tweak I have started doing is blksize=8 when dealing with video that has a lot of dark scenes in it.

Please replace MDegrain with the following SMDegrain strength settings:
Light: SMDegrain(video,tr=2,thSAD=200,thSADC=100,contrasharp=true,prefilter=0,refinemotion=true)
Medium: SMDegrain(video,tr=4,thSAD=400,thSADC=200,contrasharp=true,prefilter=1,refinemotion=true)
Strong: SMDegrain(video,tr=8,thSAD=800,thSADC=400,contrasharp=true,prefilter=2,refinemotion=true)

Thanks again Atak for everything.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2022, 18:01   #19743  |  Link
JThomasG

unable to open input file <-> error

Hi,

just an fyi

i got unable to open input file <-> from all encodingservers

i can open shared location from remote site

i have pinpointed the error to this (that i suspect), when i render subs in avisynth tab (it's a very small sub) it doesn't seem to generate the 1080_1080_sub file i seen from other encodes.

when i removed render subs from this encode it starts to work again and error was gone.

could be that the sub is not valid or something not sure but it was demuxed from source, i think "render subs" should be automatically disabled if this occur?

thanks.

Last edited by JThomasG; 26th November 2022 at 18:23.
JThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2022, 04:48   #19744  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
Thank Atak for the update and the new features. I appreciate it.

If you have time would be nice to have SMDegrain replace MDegrain. The results are just staggering and I resisted doing it for so long because I thought MDegrain did such a good job it could not really improve that much with SMDegrain. SMDegrain's output is so much improved it's staggering. It's like the difference MDegrain made over HQDN3D and that I would never go back to HQDN3D after seeing the results for MDegrain. Now SMDegrain has made MDegrain obsolete.

Now I'm at the point where the output is so clean with SMDegrain I think something must be wrong as the file sizes are so much smaller and I must have lost detail. Every detailed comparison I've made shows that I was wrong and the output from SMDegrain has not only removed the grain, but since the grain is removed, details actually stand out and everything appears crisper. I've actually started re-encoding older films and watching them again such as The Terminator, The Edge, etc. just because the difference in detail is so dramatic it is like experiencing the film all over again and it is a joy to watch.

SMDegrain also does not produce the detail blur I saw with MDegrain3 in a characters face when they turned their head.

The only tweak I have started doing is blksize=8 when dealing with video that has a lot of dark scenes in it.

Please replace MDegrain with the following SMDegrain strength settings:
Light: SMDegrain(video,tr=2,thSAD=200,thSADC=100,contrasharp=true,prefilter=0,refinemotion=true)
Medium: SMDegrain(video,tr=4,thSAD=400,thSADC=200,contrasharp=true,prefilter=1,refinemotion=true)
Strong: SMDegrain(video,tr=8,thSAD=800,thSADC=400,contrasharp=true,prefilter=2,refinemotion=true)

Thanks again Atak for everything.
Ryushin,

Hmmm, there IS a lot more to "Dogways" SMDegrain than those simple scripts/calls, that's just scratching the surface.

There are a total of 9 different "pre filter" options.

And there are MANY other functions that can be used, as well, most are rather "specialized"

And your examples are NOT the whole script/call, there's all the dependancies that are required.

But anyway, the following....

prefilter=-1 standard basic SMDegrain, which would still be better than MDegrain.

prefilter=0 1st of the Minblur options

prefilter=1 2nd of the Minblur options

prefilter=2 3rd of the Minblur options

prefilter=3 which uses FluxSmooth

prefilter=4 which uses Dfttest

prefilter=5 which uses KNLMeansCL

prefilter=6 which uses BM3D, (CUDA or CPU)

prefilter=7 which uses DGDenoise (nVidia based)

So there might users out there that would appreciate CUDA or nVidia based filters...

I would also like to say a BIG to you for "pushing" these requests, especially after it took a while for me to convince you to try it, so that in itself is quite an achievement, for me

Even tho I don't get any feedback, I hope other users are having a similar experience.
Old 27th November 2022, 14:32   #19745  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
Ryushin,

Hmmm, there IS a lot more to "Dogways" SMDegrain than those simple scripts/calls, that's just scratching the surface.

There are a total of 9 different "pre filter" options.

And there are MANY other functions that can be used, as well, most are rather "specialized"

And your examples are NOT the whole script/call, there's all the dependancies that are required.

But anyway, the following....

prefilter=-1 standard basic SMDegrain, which would still be better than MDegrain.

prefilter=0 1st of the Minblur options

prefilter=1 2nd of the Minblur options

prefilter=2 3rd of the Minblur options

prefilter=3 which uses FluxSmooth

prefilter=4 which uses Dfttest

prefilter=5 which uses KNLMeansCL

prefilter=6 which uses BM3D, (CUDA or CPU)

prefilter=7 which uses DGDenoise (nVidia based)

So there might users out there that would appreciate CUDA or nVidia based filters...

I would also like to say a BIG to you for "pushing" these requests, especially after it took a while for me to convince you to try it, so that in itself is quite an achievement, for me

Even tho I don't get any feedback, I hope other users are having a similar experience.
I know there are a lot more options available. But for the vast majority of users, the three options I quoted work wonderfully for almost all content. It's nice that SMDegrain has the contrasharp option to use after the Minblur (prefilter1-3) options. To blur your video without sharpening would just soften the whole video and that would not be good.

I scan my jacket disc covers in and the final step I do in GIMP is a Selective Gaussian Blur to remove the dithering/halftone in the printed image and then a unsharp (oxymoron there) to sharpen the image and the result comes out excellent. The options with SMDegrain give us similar improvement.

Since MDegrain is now obsolete, RB should adopt SMDegrain. It's not good to have new users to have to download RB, and then have to download Pauly Dunne's patch, then have to learn how to use Custom scripts to get good results, much less, learn all the options in each script. Take me for example. For me to switch to SMDegrain, I did days of learning and testing. At first SMDegrain did not impress me and it gave me worse results than MDegrain and I was ready to pack it in and keep using MDegrain. But I kept with it and once I found the right options, it quickly became far superior to MDegrain.

The advantage to RB is that it's generally easy to use and users like that. It's not as daunting as Staxrip or other programs that simple give way to many options or dumb it down so much that there are almost no options available. In addition RB gives distributed encoding. Can't beat that.
Old 27th November 2022, 15:10   #19746  |  Link
TDS
Formally known as .......

Quote:
I know there are a lot more options available. But for the vast majority of users, the three options I quoted work wonderfully for almost all content. It's nice that SMDegrain has the contrasharp option to use after the Minblur (prefilter1-3) options. To blur your video without sharpening would just soften the whole video and that would not be good.

I scan my jacket disc covers in and the final step I do in GIMP is a Selective Gaussian Blur to remove the dithering/halftone in the printed image and then a unsharp (oxymoron there) to sharpen the image and the result comes out excellent. The options with SMDegrain give us similar improvement.

Since MDegrain is now obsolete, RB should adopt SMDegrain. It's not good to have new users to have to download RB, and then have to download Pauly Dunne's patch, then have to learn how to use Custom scripts to get good results, much less, learn all the options in each script. Take me for example. For me to switch to SMDegrain, I did days of learning and testing. At first SMDegrain did not impress me and it gave me worse results than MDegrain and I was ready to pack it in and keep using MDegrain. But I kept with it and once I found the right options, it quickly became far superior to MDegrain.

The advantage to RB is that it's generally easy to use and users like that. It's not as daunting as Staxrip or other programs that simple give way to many options or dumb it down so much that there are almost no options available. In addition RB gives distributed encoding. Can't beat that.
I would suggest that anyone "new" to RipBot would have a learning curve, to figure out what option did what, same with PD's build's, just because the majority of the SMDegrain filter options can only be accessed in the Custom drop down, (and by adding different scripts into the Custom folder itself), it would still quite the learning curve.... as you stated, you ARE a very experienced RipBot user, and I guess the dramatic change to the process, really stumped you for a while, but now you're reaping the benefits.

As for patching, if the user downloads the PD complete build, it's ready to fly, you don't have to get the "vanilla" version first, and then add PD's stuff to it, the only "patching" is the way the updates are implemented...manually !!!

Ripbot needs to step up, as Staxrip & Handbrake don't seem to be getting the attention they used to, and RipBot is almost in that same boat....app's like Hybrid, are WAY over the top !!!

But you're correct in saying that the DE function is a game changer...how come no one else has figured it out, kind of rewilders me.

RipBot264 modded builds..
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2022, 15:31   #19747  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS View Post
I would suggest that anyone "new" to RipBot would have a learning curve, to figure out what option did what, same with PD's build's, just because the majority of the SMDegrain filter options can only be accessed in the Custom drop down, (and by adding different scripts into the Custom folder itself), it would still quite the learning curve.... as you stated, you ARE a very experienced RipBot user, and I guess the dramatic change to the process, really stumped you for a while, but now you're reaping the benefits.
When Atak first implemented MDegrain2, it did not take all the long to find out which options to tweak. Really only one. SMDegrain on the other hand is like a swiss army knife. There are so many options available that it's daunting.

Those three SMDegrain lines I posted are pretty much all I use now with the exception of adding blksize=8 for video with lots of dark scenes.

So I guess ideally, RB SMDegrain options would be a pull down labeled Strength with Light, Medium Hard, and then a pull down next to it with Blocksize with a default of 16 and an option to make it 8. It little mouse over popup over a "?" would say 8 is good for darker sources but takes 4 times more work to complete.
Old 28th November 2022, 02:06   #19748  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

A whole different build option....

OK, with all the conversation of late, I decided to build a "Lite" version of my somewhat popular build's (the only way I know this is the amount of downloads on Mediafire, as I don't get ANY feedback from the 100's of users, so thanks for that)

This build ONLY has a select few SMDegrain based script options, & the required dependencies & NOTHING else!

I have chosen the scripts that my friend Ryushin has recommended (the only user that gives me feedback, both good & bad).

This build (as with the full blown builds) is ready to go, as is, no patching of updates, it's just all there !!!

For more info & details, please read the changlog.txt, included.

And while I'm at it, Atak, IF you are contemplating an SMDegrain implementation, this is ALL you need as far as scripts & dependencies, you would ONLY need to "work your magic" to add it in your code, so it has its own location, within RipBot.

Good luck, and enjoy

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 1st December 2022 at 14:00.
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2022, 13:02   #19749  |  Link
Ryushin

7.1 ACC Bug

Hi Atak,
Probably just a typo in the code some where, but muxing the encoded job results in an error:
Error: The file 'D:\Temp\RipBot264temp\job41\Encoded_Audio_1.ac3' could not be opened for reading: open file error.
There is an Encoded_Audio_1.aac file in the job folder. So the typo might be the ac3 instead of aac for 7.1.
Modifying the job41_MuxFiles.json and replacing ac3 with aac results in the job muxing correctly.

I also wanted to mention that I do not get that frozen floating grain with SMDegrain like I did with MDegrain. If there is any grain left over from SMDegrain it looks like natural grain from the film.

Pauly Dunne: Thank you for the lite build, I appreciate it. It will make it easier for those new users to integrate into RBs official build and leave auto update turned on. Even though Atak has not been updating x265 and other dependencies that often. I don't think I've given you bad feedback. Just feedback on possible improvements or changes and you have always been accommodating in wanting to improve your builds. Your builds have always been appreciated. I'm just sorry I waited almost a year (probably) to start try them out.
Old 28th November 2022, 13:25   #19750  |  Link
Ryushin

Active Users

Atak, since you control your updates, do you know about how many active users of RB there are in the world? Just curious.
Old 28th November 2022, 13:36   #19751  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:

Pauly Dunne: Thank you for the lite build, I appreciate it. It will make it easier for those new users to integrate into RBs official build and leave auto update turned on. Even though Atak has not been updating x265 and other dependencies that often. I don't think I've given you bad feedback. Just feedback on possible improvements or changes and you have always been accommodating in wanting to improve your builds. Your builds have always been appreciated. I'm just sorry I waited almost a year (probably) to start try them out.
Interesting find with the bug

I had to say "good & the bad" feedback, and yes, I don't think you actually have given any bad, as you say....

If you download the "Lite" build, the changelog.txt, will explain the changes a lot more than I mentioned here, on the Forum.

It should be the same to use as "standard" RB, just with the SMDegrain scripts available to use, without any "fiddling", and I also mention that Autoupdates could probably be enabled, without any effect on what I've added.

And yes, it would be interesting to know how many RB downloads have been accessed from Mediafire...it would have to be substantial.

Just in the time I've been posting stuff, there would be a total of many, many hundreds of downloads...
Old 28th November 2022, 14:23   #19752  |  Link
cypher007

working hours problem

ok tried again to use the working hours function, this time with a fresh install of win 10. it shutsdown but still doesnt wake up. i can wake it using wol but ripbot sits there saying its waiting till the time set to start encoding, which has already passed.
cypher007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2022, 18:33   #19753  |  Link
cypher007

hmm

the machine will wake if i press a key on the keyboard. how does ripbot schedule the shutdown and startup?
Old 29th November 2022, 01:38   #19754  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher007 View Post
the machine will wake if i press a key on the keyboard. how does ripbot schedule the shutdown and startup?
You must have a short memory, approx 4 months ago, you asked the same question(s).

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...32#post1972932

Atak actually tried to help, a lot, with all sorts of suggestions, and even a "special" fix.

And now, here "we" are again...

Clearly there is something about your setup, motherboard BIOS settings, Windows power settings, etc.

Atak provides these services that I'm sure he tests thoroughly, BUT just because it works on his setup, doesn't mean it will on someone else's !!!

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...45#post1973545

AGAIN, if you can't get it to work, then you'll just have to find some other way to do what you're expecting this to do.

Old 29th November 2022, 12:29   #19755  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher007 View Post
ok tried again to use the working hours function, this time with a fresh install of win 10. it shutsdown but still doesnt wake up. i can wake it using wol but ripbot sits there saying its waiting till the time set to start encoding, which has already passed.
try this
1) Change system date format to YYYY/MM/DD
2) open ripbot264 (do not click on settings!)
3) open WorkHours.csv in notepad
4) add start and end time. for example.

Code:
"2022-11-29 12:00";"2022-11-29 12:01"
"2022-11-29 12:02";"2022-11-29 12:03"
5) Save file.
6) Run some encoding
if everything goes well encoding will start automatically at 12:00 and pc will go to sleep mode at 12:01. Then at 12:02 PC will weak up automatically. At 12:03 PC will shut down again.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 29th November 2022 at 12:33.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2022, 13:25   #19756  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
try this

Code:
5) Save file.
6) Run some encoding
if everything goes well encoding will start automatically at 12:00 and pc will go to sleep mode at 12:01. Then at 12:02 PC will weak up automatically. At 12:03 PC will shut down again.
So what I would like to know is, when using this feature, what happens to the progress of the encode, when it turns itself off ??

If you were using DE, then whatever chunk(s) is being processed, would be lost, when the pc shuts down, and hopefully, when it starts again, it would start on the next chunk (the one that was not completed, when it shutdown), but if you weren't using DE, then the whole encode would be lost.

I really can't understand why this is a good idea.....

Old 30th November 2022, 10:20   #19757  |  Link
darkio

thanks a lot for automatic colormatrix conversion!

I hope to see in nesr future dehalo (some stupid avsi svript), dering, deband and derainbow filter with good settings.
Some old anime can benefit it.
Manual import of these script or load plugin works well edit ripbot script.
darkio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2022, 11:16   #19758  |  Link
cypher007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS View Post
You must have a short memory, approx 4 months ago, you asked the same question(s).

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...32#post1972932

Atak actually tried to help, a lot, with all sorts of suggestions, and even a "special" fix.

And now, here "we" are again...

Clearly there is something about your setup, motherboard BIOS settings, Windows power settings, etc.

Atak provides these services that I'm sure he tests thoroughly, BUT just because it works on his setup, doesn't mean it will on someone else's !!!

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...45#post1973545

AGAIN, if you can't get it to work, then you'll just have to find some other way to do what you're expecting this to do.
its not quite the same as this time im using windows 10 rather than windows server 2022. i thought i would eliminate the OS doing odd stuff.
Old 30th November 2022, 20:22   #19759  |  Link
rlev11

Trying out the new PD-Lite version as I would like to start doing some smdegrain comparisons, but having issues with the scripts.

when ever I choose a smdegrain custom script, when it goes to start decoding I immediately get a :

temp\ripbot264temp\job1\info.txt does not exist

and the encode immediately aborts. Not sure what is going on, I first thought the plugins variable wasn't set correctly so i changed all the call outs to the hardcoded path to the avisynth plugins folder. That changed nothing.

Any thoughts?? choosing mdegrain like normal works fine, just the custom smdegrain scripts

I checked and something in the smdegrain script is keeping the info.txt from being generated. It is there if I don;t choose a smdegrain script, but as soon as I do it dissapears in the job folder.

it is definately something with the last line:
video=SMDegrain(video,tr=2,thSAD=200,thSADC=100,contrasharp=true,prefilter=0,refinemotion=true,blksize=8)

if I remove this from the script leaving all the loadPlugin and Import lines the encode does at least runs although it doesn't really do anything.

Last edited by rlev11; 30th November 2022 at 21:58.
rlev11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2022, 23:42   #19760  |  Link
cypher007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
try this

Code:
5) Save file.
6) Run some encoding
Ok tried it. Clicked start on the encode then ticked work hours and it shutdown straightaway then didn’t wake up.

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360