Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th November 2022, 13:01   #1  |  Link
Damien147

Recommended Cinema Distance for TV and subtitles.

Hello there!

Next year I am planning to buy a new TV and I want to do it right about the screen size and sitting distance for enjoying my movies in the best possible way.
For this reason I wanted to follow the Recommended Cinema Distance from this rtings article but the problem is that I use subtitles and somebody told me that I am gonna have a problem.

I will be sitting in 2 meters distance from the TV and according to the rtings article for the Recommended Cinema Distance(40°) I need an 65 inch TV but probably they don't put subtitles to the equation.

The guy I was talking suggested me to go for 55 inch TV size for sitting 2 meters from the TV because of the subtitles.

What is your opinion about that guys?

Is a 55 inch TV at 2 meters a better choice for me because I watch with subtitles?

What I mean is that it won't be fun to move my eyes up and down to enjoy the picture and then to read the subtitles because the TV will be too close.

Last edited by Damien147; 14th November 2022 at 15:14.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2022, 20:08   #2  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
What I mean is that it won't be fun to move my eyes up and down to enjoy the picture and then to read the subtitles because the TV will be too close.
I do notice this and 2m is pretty close for a 65". 55" is a lot smaller though; damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Personally I would go with the 65". It isn't too big, but you probably don't want to use madVR's move subtitles: to bottom of the screen/window option with it.
Old 23rd November 2022, 05:26   #3  |  Link
spoRv

Even if 55 is "big enough", personally I'd go with the 65.

According to this (https://www.homecinemaguru.com/displ...on-calculator/) if you sit at 2m (about 6.75 feet) AND you have a 20/20 vision, your eyes would be able to fully resolve the UHD 4K resolution.
spoRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2022, 10:23   #4  |  Link
Damien147

You guys put subtitles to the equation?Do you use equivalent distance with what you say and have you tried with subtitles?I will be in the ''ultra hd worth it'' territory even with a 55 at 2 meters according to the rtings article.Another thing is that I won't be only watching UHD but also a lot full HD and in some occasions SD.I think that I need to have that also in mind.
Here's another guy that mentions it.

Last edited by Damien147; 23rd November 2022 at 11:33.
Old 23rd November 2022, 15:25   #5  |  Link
Damien147

I also asked somewhere else today and they also suggested 65 inches for 2 meters.One of the guys told me that he is with 110" at 2,8 meters and there is no problem with the subtitles.65 it is.

Thanks guys.
Old 23rd November 2022, 21:38   #6  |  Link
Asmodian

I did try it about 2m away from my 65" with subtitles. I can read them without moving my eyes, but I might look a bit lower than centered for longer subtitles.

I think you will be happy with the 65.
Old 23rd November 2022, 23:37   #7  |  Link
Damien147

Good news but not for my pocket.
It will be expensive for the 65 but I think it's worth it.

Thank you.