Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th April 2021, 12:35   #2521  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Not many have their desktop set up in HDR mode anyway.
The Win10 release coming next quarter, with its considerable UI changes, will encourage you to do it if you have a 4K HDR-capable monitor.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2021, 12:43   #2522  |  Link
el Filou

What UI changes are considerable?
I only read the Insider Blog to follow what they change and it seems like it's mostly cosmetic changes like new icons and even more white space.
Old 6th April 2021, 05:07   #2523  |  Link
huhn

you may should add this line in 21.3.1 and newer:
Radeon RX 400 and 500 series graphics products may experience a TDR during extended periods of video playback.
this is an official known bug and user should know about this in term of video playback and nearly for sure not new.

TDR is a special term for a driver crash.

BTW. there are also pro driver for AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/re...ro-win-21-q1-1
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2021, 12:12   #2524  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
What UI changes are considerable?
I only read the Insider Blog to follow what they change and it seems like it's mostly cosmetic changes like new icons and even more white space.
As I understand it, new UI elements (like the icons) will take advantage of the increased color space in HDR if it's turned on. Of course, they'll still work fine without HDR.

I believe this was the reason for adding HDR to Win10. I doubt if many people watch HDR movies and home video using just the Windows player.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2021, 02:19   #2525  |  Link
brazen1

@Klaus1189

I've installed NVidia 465.89. The lingering HDAudio driver problem present all these years is no longer an issue. I have toggled the AVR on/off several times and Windows Audio Properties now cooperates. I have tested results that were working fine and then rebooted no less than 6 times between checks. I have played a few SDR and HDR titles briefly. I have checked YouTube audio with the AVR on/off. I've compared driver versions and some functions using notepad ++. I don't want to appear to jump the gun so if I don't report back here within the next few days, it means they're still working. Someone else should confirm if they too have been struggling and modding the install with an older HDAudio driver. (Windows Audio Properties - Stereo vs Multi-Channel dependent on AVR on/off state) I should note, I didn't use DDU. I usually save that for when this audio test fails but it hasn't this time. Now I'm afraid to DDU but in the next few days I will

*EDIT*

Well, this is ridiculous. Today I turn on my PC and the audio doesn't work properly. This after repeatedly turning my PC off/on yesterday. It's like the bug is on a 12hr timer. I regress back to HDAudio driver 388.59 which is about 4 yrs old but still works as intended.

Last edited by brazen1; 8th April 2021 at 15:47.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2021, 12:16   #2526  |  Link
el Filou

When you said you rebooted your PC and turned your AVR On/Off the first time when you thought it had been fixed, did you also turn off your TV at some point? Maybe that's what triggered the issue.

Did you notice if it behaved differently when the AVR and TV were on when you turned the PC on Vs only the TV on, or even both TV and AVR off and then turn them on after the PC?
Old 12th April 2021, 16:07   #2527  |  Link
brazen1

Thanks for your interest @el Filou.

I don't think this is an EDID handshake issue? I use a Harmony remote (they just announced they are discontinuing making Harmony remotes anymore btw). From a single button press all my equipment turns on and adjusts. It doesn't deviate. So, when I start my PC activity environment, or quit it, all the devices and adjustments for them react accordingly. Same with any other activity like HTPC activity.

The difference between my PC activity and my HTPC activity are very different. One I have setup to use my panel speakers instead of my AVR and it's speakers. The AVR is off. I don't want to use my AVR all the time. The other activity uses the AVR and it's speakers and the panel speakers are off (auto turned down to zero).

I know all my equipment turns OFF completely because all of it is right in front of me. Same with ON depending the activity I've selected. Of course I can manually turn things off/on too. I've been doing exactly all of this for years.

So, during test day, I turned off all my equipment for a few minutes and turned back on using different activities exactly as I always do it - multiple times, testing many different scenarios like YouTube with AVR on. YouTube with AVR off. SDR/HDR movie playback with AVR on/off. Front end GUI sounds. I challenged the driver many different ways repeatedly rebooting and turning off/on all the equipment between test and retests to make sure registry entries would stick.

It all worked fantastic and I was convinced NVidia had finally addressed this niche issue. Why it's niched, I don't know? I must be the only user that sometimes wants to use the stereo panel speakers only and other times full blown multichannel surround sound. Anyway, I turned off all my equipment as usual and called it a night. The next day when I turned my system on, nothing worked anymore. I didn't do anything differently I'd done previously the day before. The only variable was the longer time the equipment was turned off.

Here's the rub though... everything works perfectly using the old HDAudio driver so I don't see how user error or equipment error (including EDID) is responsible and can be circumvented or worked around. With the AVR on, Windows audio properties should report multichannel output. With the AVR off, it should report stereo. If Windows doesn't report the correct state of output, things don't work correctly or even at all. YouTube will have zero audio. Video will have no audio. These are challenges when using an HTPC as a desktop workstation and/or a video player depending the activity that mostly the AVR dictates. A user should simply be able to toggle an AVR off or on. Windows audio should oblige and set the output to stereo or multichannel automatically. New drivers don't. Old drivers do.

Let's assume your AVR is on right now. Right click your audio icon in the tray. Speaker setup will say the multichannel you have going. Now turn the AVR and check again. It will still say multichannel. It should say stereo. Now go to YouTube and play any video. There will be no sound coming from your panel speakers. The video might not even play and you'll get a YouTube error window in the video area.

Now turn the AVR back on. All is well. This is what new HDAudio drivers do. Older ones don't. Reboot when you think everything is ok. Better yet, turn everything off and leave it that way overnight like I did. Surprise!

Last edited by brazen1; 12th April 2021 at 16:25.
Old 12th April 2021, 16:34   #2528  |  Link
el Filou

Here's something you may want to try.

Recently I noticed a problem in the NVIDIA driver where if I played 2 channel and then 5.1 material in succession with exclusive mode, the audio driver would fail to map the audio channels correctly with 5.1 (my speaker config is set to stsreo in Windows for Web stuff, and I rely on the media player to switch config for surround). It's like the driver was 'stuck' in sending stereo even though the audio renderer was sending multichannel (I wouldn't hear the center channel and the surrounds at all).

Now, normally each time I update the audio driver I immediately disable the energy saving timeouts in the registry because it's getting on my nerves cutting off the audio after 4 seconds, and that time I had forgot to do that because the audio driver version hadn't changed and I assumed this meant the installer didn't change anything, but in reality it reinstalled the same version and reset the settings, so I had to redo the registry changes but I didn't notice at first.

Try to change this: in regedit, open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\<***put your NVIDIA High Definition audio driver entry here***>\PowerSettings and change the PerformanceIdleTime value to 00 00 00 00 then reboot (if for some reason you are using the "power savings" energy plan, change the ConservationIdleTime value instead).
This will disable the graphics card turning off the audio connection to save power.

I can't give any guarantee that this will fix anything, but in my case it fixed the issue I was having.
Note that this will prevent the AVR from turning off the amp to the speakers when there's no audio being played, which isn't a problem if you're not leaving it on without using it but something to keep in mind.

Last edited by el Filou; 12th April 2021 at 16:36.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2021, 17:15   #2529  |  Link
brazen1

Interesting. Thank you for that. Currently I'm using the old HDAudio driver from 388.59 which I replaced using 465.89 in the installer package fwiw. My PerformancIdleTime value is already 00 00 00 00. I guess because I'm using the older driver? I'm using high perf energy plan already too so my ConservationIdleTime value is 1e 00 00 00. I will compare once I install 465.89 with the current HDAudio driver and make the registry changes. Should I use the same values I reported here especially the 1e 00 00 00 since that value is working and I'm not using a power savings adjustment afaik? I'm a little concerned about your last sentence but I'll see if it affects my usage. I'll need to system image and get done with some other tests I'm doing elsewhere so this will take a bit. Thank you for this suggestion.
Old 12th April 2021, 18:03   #2530  |  Link
el Filou

I don't think there's a need for a whole system backup or anything like that just for this tweak, as just reinstalling another version of the audio driver resets the values or at best you can save a .reg of that key and re-import it.

My default value with 1.38.40 is 04 00 00 00 and the audio switches off after 4 seconds, so I think with your version it should switch off after 30 seconds in power saving mode, and never in high performance/balanced, but I think there was a mistake in NVIDIA inf files in old driver versions because they added those values but using a wrong type so they didn't work in practice. They fixed it at one point and that's when I nearly became crazy because the audio connection was turning off even when I was pausing playback for 4 seconds like in the bad old days of ATI's "silent stream" issue.

Here's what's in the .inf for 1.38.40:
Code:
[NVHDA_D3cold.AddReg]
HKR,PowerSettings,ConservationIdleTime,1,04,00,00,0       ; 4 seconds for idle power management when on battery - enabled
HKR,PowerSettings,PerformanceIdleTime,1,04,00,00,00       ; 4 seconds for idle power management when on AC power - enabled
HKR,PowerSettings,IdlePowerState,1,03,00,00,00            ; go to D3 for idle power management
I don't think you need to be concerned about my last warning, as it's clear that in your current config and driver the power saving is already inactive, so it wouldn't change much. This feature has the same effect as manually muting an HDMI audio output in Windows, except it does it automatically and then brings it back up when an app plays audio again but you miss the first few samples while the HDMI connection re-establishes the stream.

Last edited by el Filou; 12th April 2021 at 18:06.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2021, 04:35   #2531  |  Link
Mordred

Long story short, I was on some version of the nVidia driver (I believe from January-ish) and when I updated both Windows and nVidia at the same time my HDR broke. I was able to get HDR, but could not solve another problem I had in DSPlayer Kodi when exiting HDR. I rolled back to 445.87 and everything is fine... except now I've got a new and harder to reproduce problem that seems similar to what Brazen is experiencing.

Occasionally when I turn on the receiver and TV, my audio device (listed as DENON-AVRHD) is "partially" invalidated. In a true device invalidation, like after installing a driver, I have to manually reselect the device in all my programs I want to enable audio playback as the old device settings have been automatically cleared since the device ID no longer exists. In my case, the device is still listed... it's just somehow not really valid? Foobar reports the device was invalidated, but it's still shown (and selected) and reselecting it does nothing. It does not show up in the Windows Volume Mixer, but if I right click on the Audio icon and go to "Sounds" to bring up the old Windows 7 style Sound dialog, I can switch to the playback tab and there's my DENON-AVRHD still listed as default device. I then have to right click on it, select "Test Speakers" and after about a second, the chimes start coming through my speakers. At that point I can close the dialog, and now Kodi, Foobar and anything else all work correctly again without needing any changes. A reboot also fixes it, but that's a pain in the ass.

The HTPC is on 24/7. The issue only seems to occur when the Denon (maybe the TV too?) have been turned off for at least half an hour, but that might be random variance. It happens every morning when I turn the TV on. It happens when I come back from lunch sometimes. If I turn everything off, wait 5-10 minutes and turn it back on I've never had problems. Anybody seen anything like this before?
Mordred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2021, 17:54   #2532  |  Link
VBB

Fixed Issues in this Release

 Some displays may show incorrect color levels after booting into Windows. [3285148/3287063]

Some people over at AVS had experienced this bug.
Old 14th April 2021, 20:16   #2533  |  Link
brazen1

@el Filou

Fwiw, I installed 466.11 today. Windows audio properties wasn't in sync with AVR off/on 100% of the time (reboots, cold starts, panel/AVR states, etc.)

I went ahead and changed PerformanceIdleTime from 04 00 00 00 to 00 00 00 00. It's still not in sync 100% of the time but I (think) things have improved. When it isn't in sync I'm now able to turn panel/AVR off/on and then it syncs. There are a lot of different variables - Turning panel/AVR on prior to booting PC, turning on after booting, toggling on/off while booted into Windows, state of panel/AVR on/off when shutdown awaiting next PC cold start, etc. None of that matters using the old HDAudio driver fwiw.

I'm going to continue trying your edit until either I gather more ammo to help isolate or I can't live with it anymore. As has happened a couple times in the past testing newer drivers, once this all parks shutdown overnight it could reveal a whole new behavior. I just wanted you to know I appreciate your efforts and sharing while I give this a go.
Old 15th April 2021, 13:59   #2534  |  Link
el Filou

It's always so difficult to diagnose HDMI audio as it's also linked to the GPU itself and Windows architecture.
For example since Windows 1803 I have a big popping sound every time I switch refresh rate. I never had this before so it's not the AVR, and now even if I install a really old (like from 2017) HDMI audio driver it still happens. HDMI has provisions to automatically mute the audio stream when initializing/resetting the connection to specifically avoid this kind of thing, but who knows what part of the chain fails to instruct it to do that now... and everyone says it's normal to have pops in that situation so I just gave up trying to report it.
Old 18th April 2021, 18:23   #2535  |  Link
aron7awol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
The HTPC is on 24/7. The issue only seems to occur when the Denon (maybe the TV too?) have been turned off for at least half an hour, but that might be random variance. It happens every morning when I turn the TV on. It happens when I come back from lunch sometimes. If I turn everything off, wait 5-10 minutes and turn it back on I've never had problems. Anybody seen anything like this before?
Every so often I have an issue where my audio device stops working and shows a red x in my system tray volume icon. Rather than rebooting, I've found the quickest fix is to go into Device Manager and disable then enable NVIDIA High Definition Audio device. Not sure if this helps you, but figured I'd mention it.
aron7awol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 15:21   #2536  |  Link
clsid

Restarting the Windows Audio service might solve that as well.

.bat file:
Code:
@echo off  
net stop audiosrv    
pause    
net stop AudioEndpointBuilder
pause    
net start AudioEndpointBuilder
pause    
net start audiosrv    
pause
Right-click and run as admin.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2021, 14:58   #2537  |  Link
Calvi

I use the windows audio driver: “High Definition Audio Device” (instead of nvidia) as I find it works 100% for my receiver through hdmi and maintains atmos correctly, switches to 3 channel etc.

Just right click “NVIDIA High Definition Audio Device” in device manager and uninstall driver. Then rescan and it will add the windows one.

I make nvcleaninstall drivers with the hdmi audio driver removed so as to avoid the nvidia included audio driver.

Every now and then I try a new version but always end up reverting.

Last edited by Calvi; 20th April 2021 at 15:03.
Calvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2021, 05:20   #2538  |  Link
alleway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvi View Post
I use the windows audio driver: “High Definition Audio Device” (instead of nvidia) as I find it works 100% for my receiver through hdmi and maintains atmos correctly, switches to 3 channel etc.

Just right click “NVIDIA High Definition Audio Device” in device manager and uninstall driver. Then rescan and it will add the windows one.

I make nvcleaninstall drivers with the hdmi audio driver removed so as to avoid the nvidia included audio driver.

Every now and then I try a new version but always end up reverting.

i am using hdmi audio via earc but when i try to use your method there is no sound from the windows driver.
alleway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2021, 01:33   #2539  |  Link
Calvi

I don’t use e-arc so can’t comment on that.
Not sure why it would be any different though.
Calvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2021, 18:44   #2540  |  Link
darksen

Hey, guys, you can disregard my previous comments as it seems the audio crackling and desync were happening because a bogus LightBulb release (See #198). For some reason all the problems didn't happen with 457.51.

Last edited by darksen; 26th April 2021 at 18:46.
darksen is offline   Reply With Quote