Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th May 2016, 11:21   #11  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico8583 View Post
Yes but I would like to skip some steps
I don't think it's possible currently.

Quote:
I would like to try to make MKV AVC+MVC and it seems the only way to do that is to combine AVC+MVC into a single H264 elementary stream...
Well, it's what MakeMKV tries to promote. But IMO, adding the AVC and MVC streams as two different elementary streams in a MKV container is probably a better option, much easier to implement. However, currently, it's not possible. The MKV standard does not accept the MVC stream. It's probably why MakeMKV has developed its combined format, recognised by MkvMerge as a single 2D AVC stream (but unfortunately also by almost all players).

Anyway, since the combined AVC+MVC stream is only supported by stereoscopic player so far (or by complex combinations of filters), I think that all that techniques are very limited, and will probably be usable only with some very rare software players at best. I don't think they are really interesting, except perhaps for backup purposes.

Quote:
Also I would like to try dual stream (1 full stream for left eye and 1 for right eye) but I don't know if it's possible, even if some camcorders support that.
You can add two AVC streams in a MKV without problem, but that would require to re-encode at least the MVC stream. And indeed, I don't think it is possible to play that dual-AVC MKVs in 3D with any player so far.

Currently, the only widely supported 3D formats in full resolution are Full-SBS, Full-T&B and Frame Alternate. They require to re-encode the video, but at least, you can play them almost everywhere (if your hardware supports the required level). It's why BD3D2MK3D can produce them. I don't think it is a good idea to try other formats requiring to re-encode the video. The quality is not better, and the compatibility is and will probably always be terrible.