Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Linux, Mac OS X, & Co

Old 6th May 2010, 11:08   #1  |  Link
Atum

Compressing BD rips

Hey all

I am using a Mac Pro with Snow Leopard OS to rip and backup blurays.

I have MakeMKV and it can successfully back up my bluray discs or extract individual titles.

However, some of them are too large to fit onto a 25gb disc and the 50gb discs are oppressively expensive.

Is there a native application anywhere to compress either an M2TS or an MKV to a smaller package? Like DVD2OneX for bluray?

I tried BD rebuilder under VMware and it works and completes the operation successfully but the video was not pristine. I watched about 30 minutes into a movie and the video started breaking up every minute or so.

I know if there are no native applications I can restart into windows and try running BD rebuilder native. Maybe that will fix the breaking up problem.

Your constructive ideas would be appreciated.

TIA
Atum
Atum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 20:11   #2  |  Link
RunningSkittle
Skittle

Use x264 compiled with ffms2/lavf, and remux all streams with mkvtoolnix.
RunningSkittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 01:00   #3  |  Link
BigDid
Actually in reserve

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Not using it for windows but Handbrake (0.94) is available for Macs:
http://handbrake.fr/

It should be able to use mkv as source; if not start over with the BD.

Did
BigDid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 15:15   #4  |  Link
Atum

Thanks for your input RunningSkittle and BigDid.

The MKVtoolnix looks interesting when i need to mux to an MKV I will be using that.

I used BD rebuilder to compress "Hurt Locker" to a 25GB bluray and it turned out fine. I restarted and ran it native in windows XP and in 5 1/2 hours it turned out a compressed copy with no artifacts and still included the subtitles. I like that since it seems nowadays every movie has some garbled speech or fast talking actor with an accent that you can't understand what they say.

I will try another title soon to verify this workflow can be trusted.

Handbrake is pretty slow at encoding but I may give that a try for single-title bluray movies and then try to mux the result with tsmuxer to be burned to bluray. The only thing with handbrake is that it appears to not see the subtitles on the m2ts file or the mkv file. MKVtoolnix will not load a transport stream and I can't see how it could be used to compress a file it seems to only mux files to MKV containers.

Thanks again guys for the tips.
Atum
Atum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 15:24   #5  |  Link
nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atum View Post
Handbrake is pretty slow at encoding but I may give that a try for single-title bluray movies and then try to mux the result with tsmuxer to be burned to bluray. The only thing with handbrake is that it appears to not see the subtitles on the m2ts file or the mkv file.
HandBrake doesn't create Blu-ray-compatible video streams yet, so you can't use it when targeting standalone players. Like BD Rebuilder, it uses x264 for encoding, so it can be just as fast if you use comparable settings.
nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 17:01   #6  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Handbrake is also only as slow as you tell it to be.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 11:29   #7  |  Link
fangorn

If you are interested in a "fire and forget" solution for the command line, I provide a collection of scripts (see my Sig.) (utilizing mencoder, x264, and many other programs). All my scripts run on all UNIXoid systems (on the command line that includes OS X), the ones written in Perl should run also on Windows. I don't know about the dependencies though. And I cannot test, as I do not own a Mac.

My program collection supports multiple audio, subtitles, chapter marks and multiple output container formats. mkv is supported best with all features mentioned, but also output to .ts, .m2ts, .avchd, .mp4 or .ogm is possible. Including automatic audio format conversion if the output container does not support the source format.

Last edited by fangorn; 19th May 2010 at 11:33. Reason: more advertisement
fangorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluray, compress, mac