Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 16th September 2014, 06:24   #61  |  Link
Zachs
Suptitle, MediaPlayer.NET

MPDN's ordered dithering is slightly more expensive than random dithering on weaker GPUs. For the purpose of video playback, I actually prefer to use random dithering as it feels more natural (film grain). I could also tune the strength to suit the monitor. E.g. my laptop has a really lousy display. I find that a strength of 4.0 gives me the smoothest gradient.

It's really hard to compare MPDN to MadVR. What should matter in the end is what your eyes can see (a combo of personal preference, monitor quality, and anything in between) and what your GPU is capable of.
Zachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014, 17:59   #62  |  Link
kostik

I have Quadro 4000m and 10bit works, lets say, It doesn't crash or make any problems (I am using Exclusive full screen).
I will test the new version and report back
kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 05:47   #63  |  Link
Zachs

MPDN deep color output modes Direct3D 10.1 and Direct3D 9Ex

MPDN now supports 10-bit and 16-bit output modes in Direct3D 10 and 11. In Direct3D 9Ex mode, selecting 10-bit and 16-bit output modes will cause MPDN to attempt to use the respective modes but fallback when it's not supported (i.e. if 16-bit mode is unsupported, use 10-bit. If 10-bit isn't supported, fallback to 8-bit).

You will find this feature particularly useful especially if you have 10-bit sources and/or if you use 3DLUTs as you can now faithfully reproduce the picture as intended.

One thing to note though, displays / links that don't support deep color (i.e. pre-HDMI 1.3 and DVI) will produce horrible banding effects unless 8-bit output is selected. Analog output is perfectly happy with the deep color output though.

A final word of warning: 16-bit output mode is quite buggy across different cards (even with the same version of driver). In my testing with 3 different generations of NVIDIA cards on Win8.1 and Win7, I found only one instance where the backcolor was cleared to white instead of black (with 9600GTX on Win8.1). AMD cards displays with incorrect gamma while in 16-bit mode (MPDN has a workaround for this and AMD cards now displays correctly). Intel GPUs are even more of a mixed bag - on P4600 Win7, I get completely wrong colours while displaying through DVI.

I'm very interested to find out what other bugs you guys encounter.

Last edited by Zachs; 12th March 2015 at 04:23.
Old 22nd September 2014, 13:04   #64  |  Link
kostik

tried 2.0V but I get this error :An unexpected error 'Mpdn.VideoPlayer.DsGraphException' has occurred.
No metter what bitdepth setting I choose, tried x64 and AnyCPU ver.
Old 22nd September 2014, 13:08   #65  |  Link
Zachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostik View Post
tried 2.0V but I get this error :An unexpected error 'Mpdn.VideoPlayer.DsGraphException' has occurred.
No metter what bitdepth setting I choose, tried x64 and AnyCPU ver.
Did you get this problem with the old version when playing the same files?

The DirectShow portion of MPDN hasn't changed.

Also, there's a show detail button on the lower left when the error dialog is displayed. Can you get me the stack trace please?
Old 22nd September 2014, 13:19   #66  |  Link
kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachs View Post
Did you get this problem with the old version when playing the same files?

The DirectShow portion of MPDN hasn't changed.

Also, there's a show detail button on the lower left when the error dialog is displayed. Can you get me the stack trace please?
Didnt have this issue with previous version.

Code:
===================================

An unexpected error 'Mpdn.VideoPlayer.DsGraphException' has occurred.

------------------------------
Error Type = Mpdn.VideoPlayer.DsGraphException
Error Message = Failed to render file 'H:\Movies\The.Amazing.Spider-Man.2.2014.RETAIL.1080p.Bluray.DTS-HD.x264-EVO\The.Amazing.Spider-Man.2.2014.RETAIL.1080p.Bluray.DTS-HD.x264-EVO.mkv'
Error Source = Mpdn.VideoPlayer
Error Site = Void .ctor(System.String, RenderFrameEventHandler, GraphNotifyEventHandler, Int32, Boolean, Filter, Filter[])
Error occurred =    at Mpdn.VideoPlayer.DirectShowVideo..ctor(String fileName, RenderFrameEventHandler renderFrameEventHandler, GraphNotifyEventHandler graphNotifyEventHandler, Int32 queueFrames, Boolean loadSubtitles, Filter audioRenderer, Filter[] extraAudioFilters)
   at Mpdn.VideoPlayer.VideoPlayer.Load(String fileName, Int32 aspectRatioX, Int32 aspectRatioY, YuvColorimetry yuvColorimetry, Boolean loadSubtitles, Filter audioRenderer, Filter[] extraAudioFilters)
   at MediaPlayerDotNet.MainForm.†††
††††”Œ(String  )
††††”‹(String  , Boolean  )
††††”†(String  )
††††•œ(Object  , EventArgs  )
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
OS Version = Microsoft Windows NT 6.3.9600.0
Total Physical Memory = 16 GB
Available Physical Memory = 13.9 GB
Date Time = 22/09/2014 12:12:32
User Name = DaniK\DaniKe
Application Startup Path = C:\Users\DaniKe\Desktop\New folder (2)
Application Executable Path = C:\Users\DaniKe\Desktop\New folder (2)\MediaPlayerDotNet.exe
CurrentDirectory = C:\Users\DaniKe\Desktop\New folder (2)
SystemDirectory = C:\Windows\system32
Ran As Admin = True
HasShutdownStarted = False
MachineName = DaniR
ProcessorCount = 8
LogicalDrives = C:\, F:\, G:\, H:\
EnvironmentVariables = COMPUTERNAME = DaniR; USERPROFILE = C:\Users\DaniKe; HOMEPATH = \Users\DaniKe; LOCALAPPDATA = C:\Users\DaniKe\AppData\Local; asl.log = Destination=file; PSModulePath = C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\;C:\Program Files\Intel\; PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE = AMD64; Path = C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\; CommonProgramFiles(x86) = C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files; ProgramFiles(x86) = C:\Program Files (x86); PROCESSOR_LEVEL = 6; LOGONSERVER = \\DaniR; PATHEXT = .COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC; HOMEDRIVE = C:; SystemRoot = C:\Windows; ALLUSERSPROFILE = C:\ProgramData; PUBLIC = C:\Users\Public; FP_NO_HOST_CHECK = NO; APPDATA = C:\Users\DaniKe\AppData\Roaming; PROCESSOR_REVISION = 2a07; USERNAME = DaniKe; CommonProgramW6432 = C:\Program Files\Common Files; CommonProgramFiles = C:\Program Files\Common Files; OS = Windows_NT; USERDOMAIN_ROAMINGPROFILE = DaniK; PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER = Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel; ComSpec = C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe; SystemDrive = C:; TEMP = C:\Users\DaniKe\AppData\Local\Temp; ProgramFiles = C:\Program Files; NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS = 8; TMP = C:\Users\DaniKe\AppData\Local\Temp; ProgramData = C:\ProgramData; ProgramW6432 = C:\Program Files; windir = C:\Windows; USERDOMAIN = DaniK; __COMPAT_LAYER = Installer
RuntimeVersion = 4.0.30319.34014
Thread Count = 14
Handle Count = 357
VM Size = 780.5 MB
Peak VM Size = 791.6 MB
Working Set Size = 75.9 MB
Max Working Set Size = 1.3 MB
Min Working Set Size = 200 KB
Modules = MediaPlayerDotNet.exe, ntdll.dll, MSCOREE.DLL, KERNEL32.dll, KERNELBASE.dll, apphelp.dll, ADVAPI32.dll, msvcrt.dll, sechost.dll, RPCRT4.dll, mscoreei.dll, SHLWAPI.dll, combase.dll, USER32.dll, GDI32.dll, IMM32.DLL, MSCTF.dll, clr.dll, MSVCR120_CLR0400.dll, mscorlib.ni.dll, ole32.dll, kernel.appcore.dll, CRYPTBASE.dll, bcryptPrimitives.dll, uxtheme.dll, Start8_64.dll, PROPSYS.dll, OLEAUT32.dll, clrjit.dll, CRYPTSP.dll, rsaenh.dll, bcrypt.dll, System.ni.dll, System.Drawing.ni.dll, System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll, DirectShowLib-2005.dll, SharpDX.Direct3D9.dll, SharpDX.dll, SharpDX.Direct3D10.dll, comctl32.dll, dwmapi.dll, gdiplus.dll, DWrite.dll, WindowsCodecs.dll, System.Core.ni.dll, shell32.dll, SHCORE.dll, YAXLib.dll, System.Xml.Linq.ni.dll, System.Xml.ni.dll, System.Configuration.ni.dll, VideoFrameServicesNative.dll, d3d9.dll, VERSION.dll, nvd3dumx.dll, PSAPI.DLL, SharpDX.DXGI.dll, dxgi.dll, powrprof.dll, nvSCPAPI64.dll, SETUPAPI.dll, CFGMGR32.dll, d3d10_1.dll, d3d10_1core.dll, d3d11.dll, nvwgf2umx.dll, D3D9NativeServices.dll, WINMM.dll, WTSAPI32.dll, WINMMBASE.dll, DEVOBJ.dll, nvapi64.dll, WINTRUST.dll, CRYPT32.dll, MSASN1.dll, WINSTA.dll, d3dx10_43.dll, usp10.dll, CommandLine.dll, clbcatq.dll, tiptsf.dll, quartz.dll, LAVSplitter.ax, avformat-lav-55.dll, avutil-lav-52.dll, avcodec-lav-55.dll, libbluray.dll, WS2_32.dll, NSI.dll, sxs.dll, LAVVideo.ax, swscale-lav-2.dll, avfilter-lav-4.dll, qedit.dll, MSVFW32.dll, COMDLG32.dll, Microsoft.ExceptionMessageBox.dll, Microsoft.VisualBasic.ni.dll, System.Management.ni.dll, diasymreader.dll, SspiCli.dll

Failed to render file 'H:\Movies\The.Amazing.Spider-Man.2.2014.RETAIL.1080p.Bluray.DTS-HD.x264-EVO\The.Amazing.Spider-Man.2.2014.RETAIL.1080p.Bluray.DTS-HD.x264-EVO.mkv' (Mpdn.VideoPlayer)

Program Location:

at Mpdn.VideoPlayer.DirectShowVideo..ctor(String fileName, RenderFrameEventHandler renderFrameEventHandler, GraphNotifyEventHandler graphNotifyEventHandler, Int32 queueFrames, Boolean loadSubtitles, Filter audioRenderer, Filter[] extraAudioFilters)
   at Mpdn.VideoPlayer.VideoPlayer.Load(String fileName, Int32 aspectRatioX, Int32 aspectRatioY, YuvColorimetry yuvColorimetry, Boolean loadSubtitles, Filter audioRenderer, Filter[] extraAudioFilters)
††††”Œ(String  )
††††”‹(String  , Boolean  )
††††”†(String  )
††††•œ(Object  , EventArgs  )
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

The owner SID on a per-user subscription doesn't exist (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040207) (Mpdn.VideoPlayer)

Program Location:

at Mpdn.VideoPlayer.DirectShowVideo.Load(String fileName, Boolean loadSubtitles)
   at Mpdn.VideoPlayer.DirectShowVideo..ctor(String fileName, RenderFrameEventHandler renderFrameEventHandler, GraphNotifyEventHandler graphNotifyEventHandler, Int32 queueFrames, Boolean loadSubtitles, Filter audioRenderer, Filter[] extraAudioFilters)

Last edited by kostik; 22nd September 2014 at 13:27.
Old 22nd September 2014, 13:31   #67  |  Link
Zachs

With the previous version, did you have to drop d3dx9_43.dll into the MPDN folder?

Can you try doing that with the new version too?

Does this happen with every media file you're trying to play?
Old 22nd September 2014, 13:41   #68  |  Link
kostik

Quote:
With the previous version, did you have to drop d3dx9_43.dll into the MPDN folder?

Can you try doing that with the new version too?

Does this happen with every media file you're trying to play?
No, I didnt have to drop it into the MPDN folder with previous version.
And it happens with every media file.
Droping d3dx9_43.dll into the main folder didnt help
Old 22nd September 2014, 13:43   #69  |  Link
Zachs

Quote:
No, I didnt have to drop it into the MPDN folder with previous version.
And it happens with every media file.
Droping d3dx9_43.dll into the main folder didnt help
This is really strange. I have 5 machines here with different OSes and hardware setup but I can' t replicate your error. If you run the old version now (i.e. v1.3.4), would you also get the error?

Last edited by Zachs; 22nd September 2014 at 14:12.
Old 22nd September 2014, 14:35   #70  |  Link
kostik

Quote:
This is really strange. I have 5 machines here with different OSes and hardware setup but I can' t replicate your error. If you run the old version now (i.e. v1.3.4), would you also get the error?
I dont have the old version, had it deleted, but It worked today,
lets wait for someone else to check if it works.
Old 22nd September 2014, 14:37   #71  |  Link
Zachs

Quote:
I dont have the old version, had it deleted, but It worked today,
lets wait for someone else to check if it works.
Only other thing I could think of is DirectVobSub throwing an error while it was trying to connect. Untick the "Load Subtitles" option and see if it works.
Old 22nd September 2014, 14:52   #72  |  Link
kostik

Quote:
Only other thing I could think of is DirectVobSub throwing an error while it was trying to connect. Untick the "Load Subtitles" option and see if it works.
It was the first thing I tried. Also I tried a media file which has no subs embedded
Old 22nd September 2014, 16:45   #73  |  Link
huhn

2.0 works for me.

8 and 10 bit look alike (10 bit is a tiny bit more darker) but 16 bit is changing the picture somehow.

and the most important bug in this version is that it used always nearest neighbor as downscaler:
http://abload.de/img/downscalingifdgs.png

and something is going totally wrong too it can't show black in 1-Black Clipping.mp4

8 bit http://abload.de/img/8bit7eisg.png
10 bit http://abload.de/img/10bita0fn8.png
16 bit http://abload.de/img/16bitmgi4j.png
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 01:29   #74  |  Link
Zachs

Quote:
It was the first thing I tried. Also I tried a media file which has no subs embedded
In your LAV video decoder, do you have YV12 output ticked?

MPDN currently only supports YV12 inputs from upstream (mainly to shorten dev time).
Old 23rd September 2014, 06:12   #75  |  Link
Zachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
2.0 works for me.

8 and 10 bit look alike (10 bit is a tiny bit more darker) but 16 bit is changing the picture somehow.

and the most important bug in this version is that it used always nearest neighbor as downscaler:
http://abload.de/img/downscalingifdgs.png

and something is going totally wrong too it can't show black in 1-Black Clipping.mp4

8 bit http://abload.de/img/8bit7eisg.png
10 bit http://abload.de/img/10bita0fn8.png
16 bit http://abload.de/img/16bitmgi4j.png
Next release will have all these fixed, including the difference in color in 16-bit mode.

EDIT: I've just released v2.0.1 with fixes for the bugs you reported and a few more. Could you let me know if that fixes the "always used nearest neighbor as downscaler problem"?

Last edited by Zachs; 23rd September 2014 at 12:54.
Old 24th September 2014, 12:38   #76  |  Link
kostik

Quote:
In your LAV video decoder, do you have YV12 output ticked?

MPDN currently only supports YV12 inputs from upstream (mainly to shorten dev time).
Thanks now it works, YV12 was unticked .
Full screen+16bit/10bit+direct3D10.1 works on my Quadro card
Old 24th September 2014, 12:49   #77  |  Link
Zachs

Various driver bugs

Here are some of the driver bugs I discovered while developing / testing MPDN. I hope this will help those who encountered the same problem.

Bugs (Direct3D 9Ex):

Intel
My HD 3000 on Win8.1 (driver ver 15.28.22.64.3517) gets color corruption after exiting 10-bit FSE mode (i.e. Windows DWM color appears like GIF image's palette corruption).
Custom gamma settings in Intel graphics control panel also does not have any effects in 10-bit FSE mode

AMD
Frame drop in windowed mode only when monitor is set to 50Hz (non MPDN specific, affects Windows DWM too) on my HD4350 - see http://zachsaw.blogspot.com.au/2014/...14-amd-vs.html

NVIDIA
None

Bugs (Direct3D 10.1):

Intel
Custom gamma settings in Intel graphics control panel does not have any effects in 10-bit/16-bit output mode (FSE mode).
Additionally, 16-bit output (FSE mode) appears to have most of its colors set to black when it is sent through the monitor via non-deepcolor compatible links.

AMD
Same as D3D9Ex.
Additionally, 16-bit output mode in FSE mode has its gamma settings completely wrong on HD4350.

NVIDIA
Critical bug in FSE mode where it changes the monitor refresh rate even when *specifically* told not to. It also does not adhere to the custom refresh rates user has setup in the NVIDIA control panel.
E.g. At 23Hz refresh rate (23.976Hz), I have custom refresh rate setup that gets pretty close to the desired rate. Switching to FSE mode, the driver changes the composition rate to 24Hz but reverts the refresh rates to the default one for 23Hz! This bug occurs on all the NVIDIA cards I've tested - 8400GS, 9600GT and 560GTX (drivers from Jan 2014 to latest).

In light of my findings, I have brought back the Direct3D 9 renderer (this is the default and along with 8-bit output provides for the most stable daily use). MPDN now allows user to choose between the D3D9 and D3D10 renderer. Obviously if you have an NVIDIA card and relies on 23Hz custom refresh rate setup, you should use the D3D9 renderer for now until NVIDIA fixes their long standing bug.

Last edited by Zachs; 24th September 2014 at 12:59.
Old 24th September 2014, 13:01   #78  |  Link
Zachs

Quote:
Thanks now it works, YV12 was unticked .
Full screen+16bit/10bit+direct3D10.1 works on my Quadro card
Thanks for testing.

Your Quadro card should have 10-bit working in D3D9 too!
MPDN v2.1 (latest version) allows you to choose D3D9 mode with 10-bit output. I haven't got a Quadro card to test but on all my consumer grade cards, the D3D10 mode runs into a driver bug where refresh rates are set wrongly in FSE mode.
Old 24th September 2014, 13:25   #79  |  Link
Zachs

BTW, does anyone know how to submit a bug on the AMD website for their Graphics products? It was so easy to submit a bug on both Intel and NVIDIA websites.
Old 24th September 2014, 14:39   #80  |  Link
Snowknight26

Quote:
BTW, does anyone know how to submit a bug on the AMD website for their Graphics products? It was so easy to submit a bug on both Intel and NVIDIA websites.
http://www.amd.com/report or http://www.amd.com/betareport depending on driver being used.
Snowknight26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct3d, mpdn, nnedi3, opencl, reclock