Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 9th April 2021, 09:41   #19061  |  Link
Daringbaaz

Rip Bot Encoding Server Not opeaning, it Was Working Fine Previously,

I Checked task manager there was encoding Server.exe Listed But it' won't Open,

- Win 10 pro - Ryzen ThreadRipper 32c

Thanks
Daringbaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2021, 10:34   #19062  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

There are several reasons known, of background applications blocking the appearance. I remember "Search Everything" as one candidate...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2021, 11:36   #19063  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daringbaaz View Post
Rip Bot Encoding Server Not opening, it Was Working Fine Previously,

I Checked task manager there was encoding Server.exe Listed But it' won't Open,

- Win 10 pro - Ryzen ThreadRipper 32c

Thanks
Well, there hasn't been any auto updates for months, so it can't that, that has caused the problem.

What graphics cards are you running, if nVidia, there's a problem with certain functions of that.

Have you changed or installed some new software or drivers since it last worked ???
Old 11th April 2021, 08:33   #19064  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

MTmodes...

Now I might be about 18 months behind the times, but I noticed something interesting this afternoon.

With v1.25.0, MTmodes.avs is still available in the Scripts folder, and IF you autoupdate to v1.26.0, it's still there...

HOWEVER, if you download a fresh v1.26.0, it's gone !!!!!

Is it still used, OR has it been secretly integrated, so we can't tell ???

Either way, what does this do, does it enable multi threading on certain filters to speed them up OR does it disable multithreading on certain filters that don't utilize MT ?

On a slightly different topic, as we all know Lsmash IS the default decoder, with no other choice other than use a GPU encoder.

Does anyone still use FFMS ?? (or any other decoder)

And this :- "z_ConvertFormat", is this redundant, as I can't find any other reference to it ???

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 11th April 2021 at 08:53.
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2021, 20:34   #19065  |  Link
slalom

This might make some sense

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/AviSynt....28MT.29_Notes
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2021, 01:08   #19066  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Hey slalom, yep, I'm pretty sure I had already seen that, but thanks

I have done a little bit of AVSMeter testing, and I can't notice any real difference, regardless to what is turned off, or on, or threads used !!!

It's all a little confusing....the thing is, I have been trying some new filters, and I can't get anywhere near 100% CPU usage, even with 4 DE servers enabled (I know I could use more, but then I can't use as many other DE servers )

Will have to keep testing different scripts 'til I find the solution.

If RB does use MT, then the script or commands must be hidden in the code somewhere. Just strange how MTmodes "disappears" after v1.25.0.
Old 12th April 2021, 07:35   #19067  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinerSchweinlin View Post
- when I do a batch encode and tell RB to just copy audio - only the first audio track is copied. Same behaviour when audio is encoded.
Since the issue is confirmed by others:

@Atak

Any chance you could fix this? If set to "copy", it would come in handy to simply copy all audio streams into the resulting video, instead of only the first one.

Not a "fix" but more of a request of an addition:

For audio recoding in batch mode, I assume the current way its implemented makes handling of multiple audio streams with differrent channel counts difficult. One way to easily deal with it could be to use "bitrate per channel" instead of total bitrate.

For example:

videofile with 3 audio tracks:
A: 7.1 surround DTS 1,5mbit/s
B: 5.1 surround AC3 640kbit/s
C: 2 Commentary 265 kbit/s

Set to AAC, 64kbit/channel in batch mode would result in

A: 7.1 AAC / 512 kbit/s
B: 5.1 AAC / 384 kbit/s
C: 2.0 AAC / 128 kbit/s

This would make batch handling for files with multiple audio tracks much easier Looking forward to your feedback
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2021, 07:36   #19068  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
There are several reasons known, of background applications blocking the appearance. I remember "Search Everything" as one candidate...
Thanx for that info, I`ll keep that in mind - had several occasions where the servers didn´t pop up, so this might be usefull info
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2021, 10:40   #19069  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

More filter testing (if anyone is interested)

I did some more testing with MDegrain filters & MTModes, and made some interesting observations.

Firstly the RB imbedded MDegrain filters do not have a blksize setting, yet, most scripts do.

So I did a test using no blksize, blksize=8 (generally used for SD) & blksize=16 (which I've read is suitable for HD).

I was surprised to see that both no blksize & blksize=8 were very similar speed, however blksize=16 was WAY faster.

And this variant :- bv1=MAnalyse(super,blksize=16,isb=true,delta=1,overlap=4,lambda=1000)

Also did some speed tests when using SMDegrain filters and it seems they don't need the MTModes function.

But TemporalDegrain, TemporalDegrain2, TNL & xNL do need the MTModes "help".

And surprise, suprise a new build of HQND3D was released yesterday, and a x64 version, too.
Old 12th April 2021, 16:16   #19070  |  Link
slalom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
Hey slalom, yep, I'm pretty sure I had already seen that, but thanks

I have done a little bit of AVSMeter testing, and I can't notice any real difference, regardless to what is turned off, or on, or threads used !!!

It's all a little confusing....the thing is, I have been trying some new filters, and I can't get anywhere near 100% CPU usage, even with 4 DE servers enabled (I know I could use more, but then I can't use as many other DE servers )
As I have noticed, the heavier the filters, the lower the CPU usage is
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2021, 03:59   #19071  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

May I redistribute MCAS.avs for StaxRip?

@Atak_Snajpera,

One of the StaxRip users requested MCAS to be included in StaxRip, so I modified the code very slightly as follows for use in StaxRip:

Code:
/* MCAS

An improved sharpening script based on CAS and aWarpSharp2

Original work by Atak_Snajpera for RipBot264
Mod by JKyle 2021-04-15 for StaxRip v2.4.0

##### Requirements #####

Plugins:
  CAS
  aWarpSharp2

##### Parameters #####

float "strength" (default: 1.0)
----------------------------
Same as CAS's parameter.
Must be between 0.0 and 1.0.
*/

function MCAS(clip video, float "strength") 
{
strength = default(strength, 1.0)

LevelLimit=(video.BitsPerComponent==8) ? 255 : 1023
IntensityMask=ConvertToY(video).Levels(0, 2, LevelLimit, 0, LevelLimit, coring=false)
EdgeMask=aSobel(IntensityMask, chroma=0, thresh=255, SetAffinity=false).invert.Levels(0, 2, LevelLimit, 0, LevelLimit, coring=false).Blur(1)
SharpMask=Overlay(IntensityMask, EdgeMask, mode="Multiply", opacity=1.0)
SharpenedVideo=CAS(video, strength)
video=Overlay(video, SharpenedVideo, mask=SharpMask, opacity=1.0)

return video
}
May I redistribute the script MCAS.avsi in StaxRip?

Thanks in advance.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2021, 13:57   #19072  |  Link
Ryushin

Development Status

Hi Atak,

Your program has been my main encoding program for ages. Even before you where able to get DE working.

I'm starting to get worried now that you might be abandoning it. I know RB must have been a huge time sink and now have it working well, it might be best to leave it alone. Also, who knows what you have going on your life, both good and bad that could affect what you are doing.

Years ago I had a couple of free projects that I worked on that I provided for free. My life got busy which caused them to stagnate and they were no longer viable after a length of time.

I just don't want to see that happen with RB. If you are at that point where you don't want to deal with it any longer, maybe it would be best to put it up on Github/Gitlab/etc. Let others carry the torch.

You've been very quiet lately and a bit of an enigma. Just wanting to make sure you're okay and make sure your hard work is not lost to time.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2021, 16:07   #19073  |  Link
Daringbaaz

Yes, We Don't Want to Loose RipBot, I didn't Found any Alternative of Ripbot. Please Do Something Which Can Help This Project Updated/Alive.

If There is any option to Donate then Please Let me Know, I Will Surely Donate Some Amount,

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
Hi Atak,

Your program has been my main encoding program for ages. Even before you where able to get DE working.

I'm starting to get worried now that you might be abandoning it. I know RB must have been a huge time sink and now have it working well, it might be best to leave it alone. Also, who knows what you have going on your life, both good and bad that could affect what you are doing.

Years ago I had a couple of free projects that I worked on that I provided for free. My life got busy which caused them to stagnate and they were no longer viable after a length of time.

I just don't want to see that happen with RB. If you are at that point where you don't want to deal with it any longer, maybe it would be best to put it up on Github/Gitlab/etc. Let others carry the torch.

You've been very quiet lately and a bit of an enigma. Just wanting to make sure you're okay and make sure your hard work is not lost to time.
Daringbaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2021, 01:37   #19074  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daringbaaz View Post
Yes, We Don't Want to Loose RipBot, I didn't Found any Alternative of Ripbot. Please Do Something Which Can Help This Project Updated/Alive.

If There is any option to Donate then Please Let me Know, I Will Surely Donate Some Amount,

Thanks
We're NOT going to lose RipBot anytime soon, worst case scenario is we may never get passed v1.26.0, but there'll always be someone willing & able to provide updates for the components & app's it uses to do it's thing.

And yes, you sure can donate as much as you like to the project, simply open RipBot, go to the "About" page under "Settings", and there you go,

OR

https://www.paypal.com/donate/?cmd=_...YJJ&source=url

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 18th April 2021 at 13:01.
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 14:53   #19075  |  Link
Ryushin

Dealing with 25fps converted to 60i for NTSC TVs

So I have a NTSC/60p/120p TVs. I've never been happy with my encodes for content that was originally recorded in 25fps which has mostly been BBC shows prior to or just after Blu-ray came out.

I've tried multiple methods to try and fix it. 29.97 progressive, detelecine back down to 24fps. They all turned out awful. Judder is very prevalent.

To me, interlacing is awful. The combing effect drives me nuts. The judder from panning shots also irks me but it was better than the combing.

So the inherit problem comes from the original filming of shows and movies in 25p that that the BBC and other did. The BBC decided the best way to display it on 60fps TVs was to convert it to 59.94 interlaced or 29.97 interleaved frames. Maybe that looked good for old CRT TVs, but it looks horrible to me.

I wanted to attempt to solve this problem again, and in addition, run them through MDegrain to fix them compared to my older encodes. After doing some research, going down the threads of those that make slow motion videos, the cure was simple. De-interlace to 59.94fps progressive. Low and behold, RB has that option, and the results are just excellent. Judder is gone and no interlacing. File size seems comparable to what the 24/29fps would be when using x265.

I've redone, Sherlock, Cranford, and I'm about to start Downton Abbey. I'll have to go through all my BBC shows at some point like Doctor Who and get this all fixed. I'm finally happy with my BBC encodes.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2021, 16:29   #19076  |  Link
Ripmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
Hi Atak,

Very well put. I had to forfeit countless programs I really loved because they stopped working for some reason, be it a new Windows version, or some security update, or simply because the libraries they used became obsolete. I really don't want this to happen to RipBot—arguably the best encoding program out there.

Please consider these suggestions. Maybe even put the code on a private depository in advance, so it'll be much easier to open it up later. I'm not much of a programmer, but I can definitely contribute some little tweaks, including some that I've been pestering you about, like adding an option for setting the video title for the mkv metadata.
Ripmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2021, 08:01   #19077  |  Link
NiGHTsC

Have some faith, he's been working on it more than a decade, he sure won't just abandon it without a post.
NiGHTsC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2021, 20:29   #19078  |  Link
JASAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhry View Post
Hey. Wanted to drop this off here just in case someone has ever experienced the same issue I did in recent months.

The problem was simply that starting a Ripbot encode did NOT trigger the startup of any EncodingServers. The client window appears, and four (which is what I use) EncodingServer.exe instances appear as tasks, but their WINDOWS do not appear and work does not commence. It was the absolute most frustrating thing for me and I tried dozens of things to try and fix it. I have a few other machines here and on each of those, the EncodingServer app would start fine. But it simply wouldn't on my main desktop. I read about something like this in previous posts on this thread and have tried reinstalling the VC redistributables, it did not help at all. Tried clean boots via msconfig and all of a sudden EncodingServer started working again and that's when I knew it was something I was running that was preventing proper operation.

By a process of elimination I have discovered that two Nvidia services kill the ability for EncodingServer.exe to bring up a window and/or commence work.
  • NVIDIA Display Container LS (this is the prime culprit)
  • NVIDIA LocalSystem Container
I have a Ryzen 9 3950X (but had an I7 4-core before, same issue) and a GTX1080. The services above appear to be related to the nVIDIA GeForce experience app that is installed by default with the GeForce drivers. I messed around in there with settings but absolutely could not fix this without completely stopping and disabling those services. Soon as I did, boom, up came all four windows for EncodingServer.

FWIW I also think that I had problems with my browser (Brave) at one point, but I changed a lot of flags in there and now there are no issues with EncodingServer, even with Brave running. I can only imagine that there is something related to the GPU perhaps, that when in operation somehow jams up EncodingServer's functionality.

Running the NVIDIA Display Container LS, over time, also seemed to spin up some sort of weird background process, making my mouse pointer sluggish to animate and move over time. Stopping that process instantly gave me back pointer responsiveness, however it also kills off the GeForce experience app from my systray. I'm fine with that.

Regards
Dhry
Thank you, thank you, Thank you.

I had this issue for years and gave up on any newer versions of ripbot, the last version I could use successfully on all my pcs was 1.19.3!!!
JASAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2021, 20:32   #19079  |  Link
JASAN

not my solution, I found this today from a user named DHRY

Hey. Wanted to drop this off here just in case someone has ever experienced the same issue I did in recent months.

The problem was simply that starting a Ripbot encode did NOT trigger the startup of any EncodingServers. The client window appears, and four (which is what I use) EncodingServer.exe instances appear as tasks, but their WINDOWS do not appear and work does not commence. It was the absolute most frustrating thing for me and I tried dozens of things to try and fix it. I have a few other machines here and on each of those, the EncodingServer app would start fine. But it simply wouldn't on my main desktop. I read about something like this in previous posts on this thread and have tried reinstalling the VC redistributables, it did not help at all. Tried clean boots via msconfig and all of a sudden EncodingServer started working again and that's when I knew it was something I was running that was preventing proper operation.

By a process of elimination I have discovered that two Nvidia services kill the ability for EncodingServer.exe to bring up a window and/or commence work.

NVIDIA Display Container LS (this is the prime culprit)
NVIDIA LocalSystem Container

I have a Ryzen 9 3950X (but had an I7 4-core before, same issue) and a GTX1080. The services above appear to be related to the nVIDIA GeForce experience app that is installed by default with the GeForce drivers. I messed around in there with settings but absolutely could not fix this without completely stopping and disabling those services. Soon as I did, boom, up came all four windows for EncodingServer.

FWIW I also think that I had problems with my browser (Brave) at one point, but I changed a lot of flags in there and now there are no issues with EncodingServer, even with Brave running. I can only imagine that there is something related to the GPU perhaps, that when in operation somehow jams up EncodingServer's functionality.

Running the NVIDIA Display Container LS, over time, also seemed to spin up some sort of weird background process, making my mouse pointer sluggish to animate and move over time. Stopping that process instantly gave me back pointer responsiveness, however it also kills off the GeForce experience app from my systray. I'm fine with that.

Regards
Dhry
JASAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2021, 01:58   #19080  |  Link
Viper714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhry View Post

• NVIDIA Display Container LS (this is the prime culprit)
  • NVIDIA LocalSystem Container

Regards
Dhry
Thank you so much for that. I tried disabling the items in the startup and it did not work. Disabling these services worked perfectly!!!
Viper714 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360