Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 13th January 2017, 12:49   #42021  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
Add grain don't work (or almost don't work) with 4x NGU.
It works, but you were getting double grain in the previous build. Now it applies grain once after 4x scaling.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 16:01   #42022  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLow View Post
No, you have another problem (probably):
movie 640*360, 1.78:1

Precise 16:9 (640:360==16:9) have to view as:
movie 640*360, 16:9

Looks like you have wrong AR embedded in your stream or wrong decoder.
Probably ... NOT
I watched another movie yesterday, now the behavior has changed (now with movie marked as 16:9).
So once again 2 different OSD screenshots for 2 different movies:

Seems that my projector can dynamically change its vertical resolution
Screenshot 1 indicates 719 lines, screenshot 2 indicates 722 lines. Negative numbers for target rectangle seem a little bit strange to me. Why display the first movie line in Nirwana?
Hannes.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 18:33   #42023  |  Link
JackCY

Quote:
It would be interesting to see photo comparison madVR vs. competitors.
Easy for anyone who can use the keyboard and press printscreen. Do it yourself.
Quote:
Add grain don't work (or almost don't work) with 4x NGU.
Works as intended for me, it's no longer applied twice as it was in 2x+2x or it was exaggerated in some other way.
JackCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 22:40   #42024  |  Link
dipje

Maybe I've missed something but..

... starting MPC-HC with MadVR causes the DisplayCal Profile loader to switch to a 'disabled' state.
Is it possible to disable this behavior? I know there is a special madVR calibration-lut mode, but what if I don't want to? Just leave my windows calibration alone (specially on the other screen while MadVR is playing). Is that possible somehow? Can't seem to get it to work.
dipje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 23:24   #42025  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
If you followed the conversation you'd have noticed
"competitors" was generally referring to hardware solutions.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 23:25   #42026  |  Link
huhn

are you using a 3D LUT?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 01:11   #42027  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes69 View Post
Screenshot 1 indicates 719 lines, screenshot 2 indicates 722 lines. Negative numbers for target rectangle seem a little bit strange to me. Why display the first movie line in Nirwana?
Do you have any of the black bar options enabled? maybe madVR is detecting a black bar of 1-2px at the bottom and zooming it away.
Old 14th January 2017, 08:14   #42028  |  Link
SweetLow

>Do you have any of the black bar options enabled?
Quote:
I have checked all settings like cropping black borders and so on which could possibly influence that but didnīt find anything.
Quote:
now the behavior has changed
Ok. As madVR detect "touch windows from inside" try enable "disable scaling if image size changes" to some high value (and completely disable hard coded black bars detection to debug). And then try to view movie in natural size.

Last edited by SweetLow; 14th January 2017 at 08:30.
SweetLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 09:51   #42029  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
As soon as I buy Sony X1 Processor TV, I will use keyboard and press printscreen combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
It works, but you were getting double grain in the previous build. Now it applies grain once after 4x scaling.
Quote:
Works as intended for me, it's no longer applied twice as it was in 2x+2x or it was exaggerated in some other way.
Well, OK, but after NGU 4x added grain is definitely less visible than after NGU 2x (EDIT: once).

Last edited by cork_OS; 14th January 2017 at 12:52.
cork_OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 17:09   #42030  |  Link
Selur

Is there some way to control which gpu madvr is using?
Got a Geforce GTX 980 Ti, a Radeon RX 460 and an Intel HD Graphics 4600 in my system and I suspect that MadVR has some problem with the Radeon.
Since I added the Radeon my whole system crashes from time to time when I play content in MPC-HC while using MadVR.
Tried en-/disabling DX11 rending in MadVR but that didn't help.
So I was wondering if I could tell MadVR somehow to now use the Radeon?
Old 14th January 2017, 20:22   #42031  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

I find that just a few of my older titles dont fit the left and right sides of my motorised 4x3 masking. 90% are fine, the other 10% are too small on the left and right only.
I would like to use the zoom control on madvr but the 25% is too big!
How can I get a smaller zoom stepup thats less than 25%?
It would be nice if there was control for 5% increments.....

I have tried all the different combinations under ZOOM, black bars etc etc but I cant find anything in there that will bring these last 10% 4x3 films up to the true aspect of 4X3.

I have no issues at all on scope or 16:9 with my masking which was setup from a test disc for ratios.
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 22:05   #42032  |  Link
dipje

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
are you using a 3D LUT?
No, .icc / .icm profile in Displaycal Profile Loader.

I just want MadVR to NOT touch my Windows calibration for both my monitors, I don't even care about calibrated MadVR to be honest, just don't suddenly turn my Photoshop into 'uncalibrated photoshop' that's on another monitor while MadVR is running :S...

Last edited by dipje; 15th January 2017 at 01:03.
dipje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 23:04   #42033  |  Link
huhn

with default calibration setting it isn't unloading anything for my. you may have a look at this: http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=290
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 23:33   #42034  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selur View Post
Is there some way to control which gpu madvr is using?
Got a Geforce GTX 980 Ti, a Radeon RX 460 and an Intel HD Graphics 4600 in my system and I suspect that MadVR has some problem with the Radeon.
Since I added the Radeon my whole system crashes from time to time when I play content in MPC-HC while using MadVR.
Tried en-/disabling DX11 rending in MadVR but that didn't help.
So I was wondering if I could tell MadVR somehow to now use the Radeon?
madVR has to use the GPU the screen its on is connected to, everything else would be extremely inefficient.
Old 15th January 2017, 07:52   #42035  |  Link
CruNcher

If you configure MadVR in the lowest overhead way possible i would say now it can reach EVR Native Performance

With MadVR and it's Statistics i also could find out that Nvidias Driver is doing something very oddly with it's Refreshrates 59Hz is shifting away after suspend got active here to 60Hz (Control Panel still shows 59Hz)

After the System goes into Suspend i have to reset the Refreshrate manually back to 59Hz with the used Driver, odd behavior here on my System, that i most probably without MadVR wouldn't be gotten aware off .

The very precise Refreshrate Display can be handy

Lowest overhead so far i could push out of MadVR, which results in a perfect stutter free playback result even on the CPU

Sad that the Tearing Test is not available for MadVR but at that Dance Motion you should realize any Motion Flow interruption in a ms most probably even before the timers actually catch them in that buffer and DWM Playout .

@madshi

could you make the Statistics timer pooling interval configurable (in a hidden advanced option) ?
And could you add Gothsyncs (EVR Sync Renderer) like Graph as a second Statistical visualization output ?

http://www.ostrogothia.com/video/?page_id=1218

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 15th January 2017 at 10:06.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 13:58   #42036  |  Link
Selur

Quote:
madVR has to use the GPU the screen its on is connected to, everything else would be extremely inefficient.
okay, so if I move the window from on monitor to the other the gpu used during processing is changed?
Old 15th January 2017, 15:32   #42037  |  Link
Seedmanc

Advanced chroma upscaling testing

So I got myself a capture card and as I was messing around with it, capturing the output of my videocard and sending it back to a videoplayer on the same screen, I noticed, that using different renderers for video output progressively degraded video quality as it was sent through the capture card and back to the player multiple times. Pretty much every renderer except for madVR affected quality in one way or another, ruining colors, making image too dark or too bright and so on. For example, this is how it looks for a generic "Video rendered" in Potplayer: image (leftmost image is the original, the further to the right - the more times the image went through the pipeline). Props to madshi for making quality software I guess.

Another thing I wanted to note is that since my capture card converts the video to YUY2 with horizontal chroma resolution halved, I thought it would be an interesting setup for testing chroma upscaling capabilities of madVR. Again, utilizing multiple passes to enhance the discrepancies, if any.
For example, here's how it looks without any resampling, just nearest neighbor: image (the chroma shift to the right is the capture card's doing).
And here's how Reconstruction (sharp) looks: image. This was most odd looking image out of all other methods. Also I couldn't quite see the difference between NNEDI 16 and NNEDI 256.

I'm sharing this so that maybe someone would find this method useful or develop a similar one for evaluation of madVR filtering.
Seedmanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 15:57   #42038  |  Link
CruNcher

I guess MadVR could even beat Furmark and become Reviewers choice of Stability testing

i really wonder what happens if i use NGU now instead

NGU is actually more stable then NEEDI3 in this specific CPU Decoding case

chroma/image dxva = 150W
chroma/image Lanczos4 = 300W
chroma NGU-Low = 300W

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 15th January 2017 at 17:31.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 16:03   #42039  |  Link
oddball

Did anyone ever come up with a way to 'fake' black frame insertion @ 60Hz without crazy flickering and other weirdness? From what I understand proper BFI requires 24/120 and only inserting a black frame for a few miliseconds (like a projector) whilst repeating a frame. Simply inserting a black frame for 1 single frame can cause flickering? I'm sure this could be achieved if the input supported 120Hz but for 60Hz is another matter entirely.

I have a feeling it's just one of those things that can only be done on a 120Hz display though (in the display itself).

I have an LG OLED BTW.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 17:56   #42040  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
If you configure MadVR in the lowest overhead way possible i would say now it can reach EVR Native Performance
madVR works different than any other video renderer in terms of queuing/drawing frames by really telling driver (or DWM?) to actually render ahead. As long as queues are filled, observed "overhead" is mostly just a theoretical observation which is not very interesting.
No one cares about a few percent more or less CPU usage when watching a video. Even if madVR would have a higher CPU usage, playback is still more stable than with other renderers, as long as you don't push anything to impractical limits.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling