Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 24th June 2012, 16:58   #1  |  Link
DrPhill

AVISynth on Linux?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but......

Does AVISynth work on Linux (Mint specifically). I have migrated from windows, but was unsure if it was worth attempting the download/install at all.

Any help gratefully received

Phill
DrPhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 17:15   #2  |  Link
Firebird

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=164386
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 17:21   #3  |  Link
Yellow_

That's AvxSynth not Avisynth, plugin functionality and audio is not the same between the two. :-)

DrPhill, avisynth works great with Wine, you'll probably be better off with the windows version for the present time, plugins compatibility wise especially any funky 16bit stuff.
Yellow_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 17:27   #4  |  Link
DrPhill

Thank you both for quick responses.

It is yes and no then.......

AvxSynth sounds like a longer term thing. Shame that.

Wine it is, I guess, for the time being. I have not used Wine in anger yet so that is something new to learn about.

Anyone here used AVISynth in Wine? Any problems, gotchas, hints, or advice?

Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 17:35   #5  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

don't use directshowsource, not sure if avisource works now or not (ffms2 is known to work reliably though)
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 17:59   #6  |  Link
Yellow_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhill View Post
Anyone here used AVISynth in Wine? Any problems, gotchas, hints, or advice?

Thanks
On Linux, all the time and for the last 8 years. :-)

Personally I prefer avspmod to virtualdub for avisynth script access and avs2pipemod for command line use. Again all run with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
don't use directshowsource, not sure if avisource works now or not (ffms2 is known to work reliably though)
On the occasions I've had to use AVISource, pretty sure it's ok, but majority is ffms2. :-)
Old 25th June 2012, 12:43   #7  |  Link
DrPhill

That seems convincing then - Wine it is. Thanks.

I am running a 64 bit system - shoulld I run the official 32-bit v.2.5.8 ST or the unnofficial v.2.5.8 MT, 64-bit, author SET, compiled by JoshyD?

I am happy with AVSPmod - that is what I was using before the change.

I have been using MPEG2Source, is ffms2 a better/simpler option? If so where do I find some more info.

Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 13:24   #8  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

use 32-bit single threaded, 64-bit and/or MT are unstable enough on windows, god knows how they behave on Linux.

mpeg2source is better than ffms2 if it's only mpeg2 (in mpeg ts/ps) you want to load.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 13:25   #9  |  Link
Yellow_

Personally I use the 32bit 2.5 non MT version, even though I'm running 64bit Ubuntu, if downloading Avisynth from sourceforge do make sure it's 2.5 from 2010.

I've seen the 'download latest 2.5.8' link even under the 2.5 page, which is/was 2.6 alpha and it'll cause headaches, especially if one thinks they're running 2.5 :-)

Sourceforge setup is a freaking mess. So ensure you have tooltips on in your browser and check out the download path!

There's an AVSPmod thread here on Doom9 with latest builds in case you're running an old version as under Wine you'll get no video preview with versions prior to about 2.2.0.

Also with AVSPmod you'll need to get into Options and untick all options under 'Text' tab, except Syntax Highlighting and untick all under 'Autocomplete' tab. You'll get a crash and wipeout if deleting closing brackets from a line in a script if you don't disable autocomplete etc.

Choice of FFMS2 or MPEG2Source will be dependant on formats you're trying to decode. FFMS2 offers more choice. But interlaced h264 is a problem for ffmpeg still I think.

Also make sure if using FFMS2, to set threads to 1. ie: FFmpegSource2("myfile", threads=1) especially with HDV and h264.

I used to use MPEG2Source but it didn't automate well for batching from memory due to creating the D2V files. But it was accurate with the HV30 mpeg2 HDV sources I tried.

I use FFMS2 latest version (as most of my stuff is h264 progressive) from the FFMS2 Google site or via TheFluff's sig. I'd suggest using a recent build from the FFMS2 thread here on Doom9.

There's also Vampiredom's script which works well for everything except the progressive DSLR h264. DGAVCDecode, or whatever it's called, the free version non NV GPU accellerated version doesn't like it.

Cross Post with TheFluff.

re MT, I saw no improvement with the MT version, what i do find with multicore processors is that the 2.5 vanilla version works across all cores well, I guess this is typical behavior on Windows but Linux works well.

Last edited by Yellow_; 25th June 2012 at 13:31.
Old 25th June 2012, 13:50   #10  |  Link
DrPhill

Thank you both for that info. You have probably saved me some headaches.... I get confused enough trying to edit video without having to work out if it is me, thee operating system or the version of the software.

I am going to be doing a two-step process:
(1) merge a JPG and an MPG from my camera and create an intermediate file
(2) combine several intermediate files (mainly dissolve) into a full length video and mix in audio (mp3).

The intermediate file format was previously m2v from HCEnc but I am agnostic on this - any better ideas?

I seem to recall that HCEnc does not do audio. I have a MKV video with audio added. I am ashamed to say that I have forgotten how I did that. Can anyone jog my memory.
Old 25th June 2012, 14:58   #11  |  Link
Yellow_

I really like HCEnc and it works great on Linux via Wine with an avs script. :-)

For creating mkv's mkvmergeGUI is available for Linux, I use it on occasions and it's available via bunkus's PPA (if on Ubuntu or download otherwise) which is at:

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...downloads.html

Last edited by Yellow_; 25th June 2012 at 15:12.
Old 25th June 2012, 16:02   #12  |  Link
DrPhill

Thanks for that reassurance.

For the MKV tools can I assume that you mean
Code:
 x86_64 Extra	mkvtoolnix-gtk	5.6.0-1	Set of tools to create, edit and inspect Matroska files - wxGTK GUI	2012-05-27
(I am running a 64 bit intel based system).

from here?

Does mixing the 64 bit and 32 bit stuff work? I guess that if they do not need to talk to each other directly it is all fine. Anyway, producing the silent video is the first task. Grafting the sound on will happen last.

Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 19:14   #13  |  Link
DrPhill

OK,

Installed AviSynth 2.5.8 under Wine. Seems to have worked fine. How do I test that? I have some scripts but they need to be called by video program..... Do I need to install WMP in wine? I tried by Microsoft could not validate my version of Windows (no big surprise there....)

Installed AvsPmod - but I get errors on start up and I have no clue what to do now.... any hints?
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "run.py", line 5, in <module>
  File "AvsP.pyo", line 73, in <module>
  File "pyavs.pyo", line 31, in <module>
  File "avisynth.pyo", line 4, in <module>
  File "ctypes\__init__.pyo", line 415, in __getattr__
  File "ctypes\__init__.pyo", line 340, in __init__
WindowsError: [Error 1114] DLL init failed
My guess is that this is a Wine specific thing that I do not understand.
Old 25th June 2012, 22:18   #14  |  Link
Yellow_

I've had it running for so long, forgot what's required :-) however it could be needing a Windows runtime library or something.

Try installing the C++ redistributable package:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=5555

For testing AVISynth you could open an .avs file with Virtualdub http://www.virtualdub.org/download.html or even a windows binary of ffplay part of a Windows ffmpeg install available here, http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ as long as it was compiled with avs support.

Or you can process .avs scripts with Avs2yuv http://akuvian.org/src/avisynth/avs2yuv/ and Avs2pipemod http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=160383&page=6 on the CLI serving to Windows binaries of x264 http://x264.nl/ or ffmpeg etc, both avs2yuv & avs2pipemod also allow possibility of 10 & 16bit data out of Avisynth to x264 10bit build and Imagemagick 16bit image formats, http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...59#post1386559, but one step at a time. :-)

Last edited by Yellow_; 25th June 2012 at 22:29.
Old 26th June 2012, 08:16   #15  |  Link
DrPhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_ View Post
I've had it running for so long, forgot what's required :-) however it could be needing a Windows runtime library or something.

Try installing the C++ redistributable package:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=5555

For testing AVISynth you could open an .avs file with Virtualdub http://www.virtualdub.org/download.html or even a windows binary of ffplay part of a Windows ffmpeg install available here, http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ as long as it was compiled with avs support.

Or you can process .avs scripts with Avs2yuv http://akuvian.org/src/avisynth/avs2yuv/ and Avs2pipemod http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=160383&page=6 on the CLI serving to Windows binaries of x264 http://x264.nl/ or ffmpeg etc, both avs2yuv & avs2pipemod also allow possibility of 10 & 16bit data out of Avisynth to x264 10bit build and Imagemagick 16bit image formats, http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...59#post1386559, but one step at a time. :-)
Excellent advice. I will sit down after the dog walk and work my way through that. I spent an hour or so lookking around the we but found nothing so you advice is very welcome.

I am new to Linux (Mint 13/Mate), and not very experienced in the world of video editing so it all seems very confusing.

I will let you know how I get on.
Old 26th June 2012, 08:47   #16  |  Link
Yellow_

No problem, btw I don't think that there's much over what you'd have to install on windows to get it all up and running apart from Wine and I've found that certain odd .dlls might need copying into your /home/name/.wine/can'trememberfullpath/system32 sub folder. :-)
Old 26th June 2012, 11:38   #17  |  Link
DrPhill

Quote:
No problem, btw I don't think that there's much over what you'd have to install on windows to get it all up and running apart from Wine and I've found that certain odd .dlls might need copying into your /home/name/.wine/can'trememberfullpath/system32 sub folder. :-)
OK here is the state of play.

VirtualDub runs, and will load an mpg without complaint, but throws an error loading an AVS file:-
Code:
AVI Import Filter error: (Unknown)(80040154)
(The AVS file contains only a version() command).

I have installed the VC runtime but that made no difference.

Where is the meat of AviSynth? Should I have a AViSynth.dll somewhere? What should I be looking for? I cannot find it..... maybe running the setup in wine does not work as it should? I could not find any sign of a vc*.dll either.

(I am looking in the Wine C drive ;-)
Old 26th June 2012, 13:32   #18  |  Link
Yellow_

hi, Wine's C drive is a hidden folder, in Linux it's hidden simply by having a '.' dot in front of a folder name, so in your file manager nautilus in Gnome or Dolphin on KDE, you need to choose view, show hidden files and folders.

This will then show the .wine folder in your /home/... folder.

In there will be the typical Windows C:\ etc including Program Files folder. In there a Avisynth 2.5.

Make sure that the avisynth.dll is in the windows/system32 folder under that .wine path.

There will also be a Wine menu item on your Desktop 'Applications' start bar thing, :-) again depending on whether you're running KDE or Gnome.
Old 26th June 2012, 13:46   #19  |  Link
DrPhill

Quote:
hi, Wine's C drive is a hidden folder, in Linux it's hidden simply by having a '.' dot in front of a folder name, so in your file manager nautilus in Gnome or Dolphin on KDE, you need to choose view, show hidden files and folders.

This will then show the .wine folder in your /home/... folder.

In there will be the typical Windows C:\ etc including Program Files folder. In there a Avisynth 2.5.

Make sure that the avisynth.dll is in the windows/system32 folder under that .wine path.

There will also be a Wine menu item on your Desktop 'Applications' start bar thing, :-) again depending on whether you're running KDE or Gnome.
Thanks - I had figured out the C drive thing, but you were not to know so it was well worth mentioning.

The system32 has no avisynth.dll. I rather suspected that it should, so something went wrong with the install.

I just ran the install again (simply by double-clicking it in the file browser), from an install executable on the C: drive, and the output of the installer does say
Code:
Output folder: C:\windows\system32
Extract: avisynth.dll
but it is not there. The C:\Program Files(x86)\AviSynth 2.5 folder is there, so it did that right.

Should I get the dll from somewhere else and insert it manually? If so where (I mean where should I get it not where should I insert it). Or is one error with the install enough to throw doubt on the whole enterprise?
Old 26th June 2012, 14:45   #20  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Perhaps nothing to do with your problem but, if you're trying to install v2.6,
I seem to recall that either alpha 1 or alpha 2 required that v2.58 needed
install first, then install v2.6 worked ok. Check that you have alpha 3 if
installing 2.6.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote