Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th June 2013, 09:53   #1  |  Link
Deathbliss

Good settings for highest HD video quality in VLC?

I know this question is kind of general so I will elaborate.

I have a 720p video. I play it in VLC on my computer (latest build.) I have an AMD 7800 series video card. Running Windows 7 64-bit on an Intel quad-core processor. Performance is not an issue. Quality shouldn't be either, running at 1080p through HDMI hooked directly to my 32" LED LCD TV.

When I play this video and it zooms in to something like someone's face, I see lots of blocks and squares. There's some sort of strange smoothing effect going in - it's very bad up close.

Now I take this exact same video and play it in 1080p through HDMI on my KDLinks HD 680 and the skin looks almost perfectly smooth up close. I see some faint evidence of little squares but there is a major difference in video quality compared to VLC.

I know some upscaling is going on. I followed this guide at YouTube so I could play DVDs without too much problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7AcAzHdPEo

I have audio and video set to DirectX and primary devices. Latest video card drivers installed. No other AV settings touched in VLC. I want to know how to make the picture in VLC as nice as my KD Links HD680. I do not want to stream or hook the media player up or anything. I want to understand what settings I need to tweak in VLC so that HD video plays correctly, because as of right now it is not.

Appreciate the help!
Deathbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 02:40   #2  |  Link
mindbomb

since you are on windows and seem to really want the best, may I suggest mpc hc with madvr?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357375/advanced-mpc-hc-setup-guide

(shameless plug to my guide)
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 02:49   #3  |  Link
SamKook

I'd be curious to know if VLC actually has settings to increased quality since I've always seen it as an install-and-never-have-to-touch-the-settings kind of player.

mpc hc(or mpc be which now has native wasapi support) with madvr would be the best thing you can get for quality though as mindbomb said.
Old 8th July 2013, 14:25   #4  |  Link
antonygrakham

I'm not sure if this problem has a decision.

Tags
high definition, tweak, vlc