Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Closed Thread

Old 2nd October 2007, 22:42   #1  |  Link
wolfdogg

restricted issue, dvd backup, or reauthor using dd

i am having an issue, no matter what i try to make a backup home copy of JurasPkIII the video is showing a restricted on it, and i dont know the best way to get the files onto a disk.

first i tried setting DD to select main movie files only, then opened dvd-convertX which i have setup up to create automatic chapters ever 4:15, the disk burnt is stated as Bad Disc in my dvd player.

so now i used DD and selecte the WHOLE movie, which its a dual layer disk, then i opened all files in dvd shrink into REAuthor mode, to remove all the bogus menu crap in french, spanish, pg rating, etc... also to remove french audio, so that i can get a better quality to a DVD-5 backup since teh disk is already getting scratched. What i noticed right off the bat, is that RESTricted word in RED again, when the preview was running thru dvd shrink. So, im guessing i did something wrong in DD again, and im also stabbing a guess that is the exact reason my dvd player says bad disk. Am i missing a setting on DD, where i have it mainly on defaults, or should i wait the 30 minutes left for the dvd shrink to author to find that beeautiful RED symbol again, then burn it to disk using what? i dont have anyDVD installed, but to have an older Nero Vision Express installed which works great, just i hate nero compared to Convert-X due to time consuming methods Nero uses. i cant remember having these kinds of problems backing up home DVDs but then again, thats one thing i havent done much of.

Usually im just capturing tv video from the satellite using my cap card, then reauthor the AVI using VDUB, then use convert-x to author to DVD.

Last edited by wolfdogg; 2nd October 2007 at 23:55.
Old 2nd October 2007, 23:16   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

Your post isn't clear to me.

please explain - What is the source material? Is it a purchased commercial DVD, a pre-release DVD "screener", a videotape, a downloaded video, or something else?
Old 2nd October 2007, 23:26   #3  |  Link

Quote:
so now i used DD and selecte the WHOLE movie, which its a dual layer disk
Didn't he say it was a DVD9?
Old 2nd October 2007, 23:30   #4  |  Link
wolfdogg

no, sorry, i didnt know how clear to be, lol. its a purchased commercial dvd, which is by default a dual layer. i just let it reauthor, and i get teh same RESTRICTED symbol showing up, and also something else that has been common to that, the theatrical score works fine, when played back on my pc, but all teh voices are missing, indicating its coming from a 2nd overlayed audio source, i think this has something to do with teh restrictions as well.

so, it didnt work, i must be using DD wrong.
Old 2nd October 2007, 23:35   #5  |  Link
setarip_old

@neuron2

The reason I said it isn't clear to me is because the poster also refers to "the video is showing a restricted on it, and i dont know the best way to get the files onto a disk", "creating chapters every 4:15" and "Usually i just capture video using my cap card, then reauthor the AVI using VDUB, then use convert-x to author to DVD."

Additionally, despite having made backups of my very substantial collection of purchased, commercial DVDs, I have never seen the word "Restricted" appear at any time, under any process - hence the question about "screener" DVDs.
Old 2nd October 2007, 23:37   #6  |  Link
setarip_old

@wolfdogg

Are you possibly referring to a "Region restriction" notification, or is it, as you initially said, ONLY the word "Restricted" appearing in red on the screen?
Old 2nd October 2007, 23:40   #7  |  Link
wolfdogg

sorry, what i meant about the v-dub stuff, is, thats just where my experience level is at, i wasnt tyring those methods for ripping the dvd.

it may be a region restriction, im not familiar what that looks like since i have never seen this before. yes, its in RED, and thats the only word that appears on the screen, like this RESTRICTED overlaying the movie which is still playing fine in the background, but the word goes away after a few seconds . Also the only other problem i notice besides that is the voice audio is missing. if im not mistaken, its present in one of the original rips, but persistes to disappear on the burn using convertx, and dvd shrink, but i may be mistaken where its actually DD removing the audio. the audio was missing both times, when doing BACKUP method, and reauthor method if im not mistaken.

everytime the voice audio is missing, the theatrical score IS STILL working fine, and sounding great.

regarding getting files onto the disk , i think i was referring to ripping the dvd straight to my hard drive first, i can prob get the rest of the job done using eiter convert-x, DD, or dvd shrink to burn it.

thats wierd, when you say screener DVD, i do notice on the cover of the commercial DVD it is a "Collectors Edition", maybe thats why, but not a pre-release from what i can see..

its a dual layer disc i notice as well.

p.s. im in USA, and the dvd is made in USA. it shows region 1-NTSC on the cover.

Last edited by wolfdogg; 3rd October 2007 at 00:08.
Old 3rd October 2007, 00:44   #8  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

My first guess would be some protection based on turning on subtitles. But since DVD Shrink can't display display subbies, it would seem this is on the video. If it is on the video, there's little that can be done. But this is very strange.

When you play it back on PowerDVD for example, is the restricted word there? And what title is it?

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.

Last edited by blutach; 3rd October 2007 at 00:47.
Old 3rd October 2007, 01:45   #9  |  Link
setarip_old

@wolfdogg

The Region 1 version of "Jurassic Park III - Collectors' Edition" is a 2001 Universal Studios release. Being that old, the only protection it should have are the "standard" CSS and Macrovision (It even pre-dates the "Jumping Boy"/"Billy Elliot" nonsense).

Because you've piqued my curiosity about "restricted" appearing on the screen, I'm tempted to obtain a copy and see what may actually be going on.

Before I consider doing so, however, I'll ask you a VERY DIRECT question:

You've stated that this IS a purchased commercial DVD. Which did you do - Did you purchase it from a domestic retailer, or on EBay, or from the Orient?
Old 3rd October 2007, 03:15   #10  |  Link
wolfdogg

ok check this out, i did some more research after those last question, and to make sure ytou dont have to spend any money on a dvd unecessarily.

the word restricted, comes up at 52 seconds and runs until about 56 seconds.

i thought this was a common issue, but now that no one can easily explain this, so i played the original DVD and waited for the message,, and found that the word RESTRICTED is displaying on the original too! It threw us all off, what the heck is it? i havent watched this movie in over a year, hence didnt try the original to notice the message, i just started ripping first.

So, now let me try that dvd in my dvd player to see if it shows in there too.

YES, it shows up in my DVD player too. (the big fat red word)

i have a hypotheses, maybe that word is related to the movie, like "top secret", "classified", "restricted" as in secret dinosaur stuff? lol, who knows, but it plainly looks to be a dvd warning message because it doesn't match the movie font size or color at all.

The cd was from Ralphs grocery most likely, where my dad used to work. he bought them from there when the good ones came in. if he didnt get it from there, he got it from Best Buy prob. Hes old school, and would have no idea how to get a china copy. Its in a thick DVD case, and has all the universal jargon, free dvd and collectors edition phamphlets clipped inside, a solid thick printed label looks very clean, has the universal and Amblin entertainment trademark in fine print(reverse chrome print like all storebought cd's)

Now, after you asked me about power dvd, i figured, maybe theres a difference in my players causing teh audio problem, and low and behold, the audio is working FINE using Nero Show Time(i dont have power dvd installed)
BUT, in windows media player(older version, works nicely with the menus) the voice AUDIO IS NOT WORKING. SO the reason i stated the audio wasnt working is because ive been mainly testing it with WMP which is my default IFO handler(Show time is my default vob handler) ive been launching the movie by double clicking the ifo files to launch WMP, and double clicking the VOB, or dragging and dropping to run Show Time.

So, the word RESTRICTED is actually coming from the main store bought video, WIERD!

thanks for your questions so far, cause they led me to this conclusion, couldnt have done it without ya guys, i was thinking all along it was DD.

Ok, what to do about the audio? stop using WMP? or is that in indicator that im doing something else wrong?

what method should i use in DD, i liked the file method, where i can then open ALL the files in DVD shrink Re-Author Method, then delete all the crap, and keep just the initial menu(looks cool, even though its playing as a video), then the movie itself, and so i can shut down all the french audio and subtitles, and delete the Universal Studio's commercial, and the PG statement etc......, then what? How do i get chapters? This is the reason i wanted to use Convert-X to burn it, i can open it up, drag the files into it, it will create automatic chapters for me at my preset interval, and reauthor it again using the Convert-X which makes the menu and creates chapters. I would rather use DVD shrink, or DD to either hold the original chapters, or have one of them create chapters so i can use one of them to do the Burning, but dont know how to adress teh chapters using those two programs (DD and DVD Shrink)

sorry for teh scare, and didnt want you to have to spend money on a dvd for no reason. Still cant figure out whats restricted..... if i can figure out how to capture a dvd screenshot ill send it to you.

so, is the default DD options ok for the initial rip, and using the ifo setting in DVD Shrink to delete all these files in Re-Author mode ok? then how to burn with chapters from there?

again, sorry if i made a newbie mistake that lead to these misunderstandings.

Last edited by wolfdogg; 3rd October 2007 at 06:52.
Old 3rd October 2007, 04:07   #11  |  Link
setarip_old

Does the ORIGINAL DVD display the same audio problem, if you play it under Windows Media Player?
Old 3rd October 2007, 05:03   #12  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

For one, I'd associate my IFO files with Showtime and never use WMP. Then double click VIDEO_TS.IFO to play it in Showtime. That way, you will navigate to the menus with all the registers properly set up (which clicking the VOB will not do).

Regards

Old 3rd October 2007, 06:40   #13  |  Link
wolfdogg

yeah, wierd, the audio doesnt play on WMP directly from the disk either. that on version 10.00.00.4036, and on wmp classic, but on wmp2 i get the theatrical score only, no voice, and no video. guess itsa codec problem. i always use K-Lite for codecs

the reason i have the assocs like that is so either program i want to launch i just double click either the vob, or teh ifo depending on the program i want to launch. To open showtime, i double click on teh vob, then drag in the ifo. this is because i do alot of conversions from capture, and it just takes too long to open teh invasive show time when all i need to do is see if the video works. also i use winamp primarily, but it doesnt handle some video too well, so sometime i need to launch WMP. the only time i open show time is if i want to actually sit down to watch a dvd, which is only a small percentage of the time.
Old 3rd October 2007, 06:59   #14  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
yeah, wierd, the audio doesnt play on WMP directly from the disk either.
And does the audio play properly if you play the original, commercial DVD on a standalone DVD player?

If not, your original, commercial DVD is flawed...
Old 3rd October 2007, 20:30   #15  |  Link
setarip_old

If you'd take less than a minute to actually watch the beginning of the movie, you'd understand that the red "Restricted", that appears for just a few seconds as the camera zooms toward the island, is part of the actual movie - referring to the fact that access to the island is restricted ;>}
Old 5th October 2007, 08:43   #16  |  Link
wolfdogg

i played the movie several times in that part on the begenning, once i saw it show up on teh decrypt, give me some credit!

that doesnt help me burn a successful copy.

the 2nd copy i made doesnt work in my main dvd player, but works on another dvd player here, so im leaving it like that, i was giving a copy to my son so this one doesnt get scratced. as long as it plays on his, i wont worry about it, cause i dont usually have that problem. i just thought it may be related to the word restricted. now that you mention it that way, it makes sense, but like i say, it didnt match the font, and i FIRST saw it on teh decrypted file, and have little experience using DD, so thought IMMEDIATELY that it was some warning from DD that i had a setting wrong, since the disk was a frisbee when played in the dvd player, and still displayed the word on the pc.
my bad, and still have the same issue where it wouldnt burn successfully, indicating that some setting is wrong, but i dont care to get into it any further since we watched the whole thing lastnight on the 60 some odd inch HD, and it looked superb, so i can keep the collectors edition nice and tidy now and put away for keepsake. thanks for all the help figuring this one out, even an iq of 130 is liable to slip up now and then.
Old 5th October 2007, 12:31   #17  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Quote:
i was giving a copy to my son so this one doesnt get scratced
Sorry, we are gunna have to ask you to read rule 6 carefully. Making a copy of a DVD for a person who does not own it (even a close family member) is not legal.

Regards

Closed Thread