Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 16th July 2022, 00:45   #1  |  Link
Blastfrog
Frog blast the vent core!

Deinterlacing Euro-pulldown

Hi, so, I'm a total newbie to AVIsynth, etc, so please be patient with me.

I have a video source ripped from DVD that is using Euro-pulldown and has 4:2:2 chroma sub-sampling. I don't know if this is standard or not, but interestingly enough, the chroma itself seems to be interlaced (despite being half of the resolution of the luma).

I figure the best thing to do is to de-interlace the chroma separately and merge it back into the (deinterlaced) luma once both steps are done. I've already exported the video to a PNG image sequence, and downscaled it to half without any resampling using Irfanview in preparation for this.

Problem is, AVIsynth is extremely unintuitive to me. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it as I use it, but basically, I need someone to hold my hand for a short while so I can learn the basics.

I already have VirtualDub2, so how do I set up AVIsynth with it, and what script should I use to remove every 25th field and reconstitute the pulldown'd frames back into proper frames? My goal is to bring it back to native 24FPS in the rawest way possible. I don't want any kind of blending, etc.

Last edited by Blastfrog; 16th July 2022 at 01:02.
Blastfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2022, 11:16   #2  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastfrog View Post
Hi, so, I'm a total newbie to AVIsynth, etc, so please be patient with me.

I have a video source ripped from DVD that is using Euro-pulldown and has 4:2:2 chroma sub-sampling. I don't know if this is standard or not, but interestingly enough, the chroma itself seems to be interlaced (despite being half of the resolution of the luma).

I figure the best thing to do is to de-interlace the chroma separately and merge it back into the (deinterlaced) luma once both steps are done. I've already exported the video to a PNG image sequence, and downscaled it to half without any resampling using Irfanview in preparation for this.

Problem is, AVIsynth is extremely unintuitive to me. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it as I use it, but basically, I need someone to hold my hand for a short while so I can learn the basics.

I already have VirtualDub2, so how do I set up AVIsynth with it, and what script should I use to remove every 25th field and reconstitute the pulldown'd frames back into proper frames? My goal is to bring it back to native 24FPS in the rawest way possible. I don't want any kind of blending, etc.
I have some doubts. DVD's are never 4:2:2. It's always 4:2:0. How did you rip it?

Pulldown removal:
Apply IVTC (Inverse Telecine). Vdub2 has an IVTC filter which you can try.
In Avisynth, IVTC would be
Code:
TFM()
TDecimate()
Or upload a sample (few seconds) of your video for collecting more help.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2022, 17:41   #3  |  Link
Blastfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
I have some doubts. DVD's are never 4:2:2. It's always 4:2:0. How did you rip it?
I was tired when I wrote that post last night, I definitely meant 4:2:0, not 4:2:2. I ripped it from the disc using MakeMKV, separated out the chapter I wanted with MKVToolNix, and then turned that into an AVI without any reencoding using FFmpeg.

Quote:
Pulldown removal:
Apply IVTC (Inverse Telecine). Vdub2 has an IVTC filter which you can try.
In Avisynth, IVTC would be
Code:
TFM()
TDecimate()
Isn't that more for 2:3 pulldown? The video I'm dealing with is using 2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:3 pulldown.

Quote:
Or upload a sample (few seconds) of your video for collecting more help.
This should demonstrate the kind of interlacing the video has: link
Old 16th July 2022, 20:22   #4  |  Link
manono

You don't make people jump through hoops to help. Request Access? If it's real Euro Pulldown, then:

TFM()
TDecimate(Cycle=25,CycleR=1)
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2022, 21:35   #5  |  Link
Blastfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by manono View Post
You don't make people jump through hoops to help. Request Access?
Whoops, I forgot to set it so that anyone with the link can download it! Sorry about that. Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manono View Post
If it's real Euro Pulldown, then:

TFM()
TDecimate(Cycle=25,CycleR=1)
Thanks. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to work.

This is what happens when I precede the lines you provided with AviSource("17.avi"):

EDIT: This first error does not occur if I export the AVI without any sound. I actually don't need it anyway, since I intend to replace the audio using a different source in post.

And this is what happens when I precede the lines with DirectShowSource("17.avi"):

And no, I'm not using Windows 98, I'm just using a theme that looks like it. I'm actually on Windows 10.

EDIT 2: Second error does not occur when I put TIVTC into the plugins folder, it was missing.

It seems to work for the most part, but there is still the occasional interlaced frame still present... Perhaps it's off by a little bit? Is there a way I can offset it by some amount of fields?

Last edited by Blastfrog; 16th July 2022 at 22:44.
Old 16th July 2022, 22:41   #6  |  Link
Sharc

You have to download the TIVTC package and copy the TIVTC.dll from that package to the avisynth plugins folder.

Edit: Also, your link does not point to your .avi but to a recompressed .mp4 version.

Last edited by Sharc; 16th July 2022 at 22:45.
Old 17th July 2022, 11:34   #7  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastfrog View Post
It seems to work for the most part, but there is still the occasional interlaced frame still present...
Try something like
Code:
TFM()
Tdecimate(cycle=25,cycleR=1)
blur(0,1.5) #blur vertically
awarpsharp(depth=30) #resharpen

Last edited by Sharc; 17th July 2022 at 11:42.
Old 17th July 2022, 16:22   #8  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Maybe this is not totally out of place in this thread, and could maybe do with a mention here.

Exotic Interlacing by Scharfis_Brain:- https://app.mediafire.com/wl30b5ghmomaw
English and German versions in PDF form.
Also Web Page [cant remember if Eng or German version, maybe both. Original disappeared off the web, but I think Ligh has reposted it on his site].

EDIT: A bit more here:- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...ng#post1865607

And link to it on Ligh's site [link posted by Selur]:- https://www.ligh.de/scharfis_brain/E...esInterlacing/

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 17th July 2022 at 16:43.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote