Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th November 2009, 00:45   #81  |  Link
JeffBDVS

FYI, the x64 installer did not properly install the 32-bit version on Vista 64 (it didn't show up in 32-bit VirtualDub or GSpot). I had to run the x86 installer to get the 32-bit version.

-Jeff
JeffBDVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 11:01   #82  |  Link
Chikuzen
typo lover

@JeffBDVS
According to umezawa's blog,he is testing the improvement version to deal with that case now.
Chikuzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 13:46   #83  |  Link
JeffBDVS

Thanks for the updated info, Chikuzen.

-Jeff
Old 4th November 2009, 14:07   #84  |  Link
JeffBDVS

Bug Report

Bug report: UT crashes VirtualDub when MT AviSynth is used with HD video.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Export an HD 1080p30 or 720p60 UT file from your favorite editing program.
  2. Create a simple MT AviSynth script. I used SetMTMode(2), AviSource("myUTfileHD.avi"), FlipHorizontal
  3. Load the .avs script file into VirtualDub and set Compression to UT (any colorspace). Save as AVI from VirtualDub.

Result: VirtualDub crashes in the utvideo.dll module. About half the time you also get the attached error dialog from VirtualDub.

Workaround: Disable MT mode. Expect a 50% to 60% speed reduction in export from VirtualDub.

System:
Win Vista 64 SP2
Dual Quad-core Xeons
16 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX280
VirtualDub 32-bit
Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of UT installed. The bug occurs even if the 32-bit version is the only one installed.

Notes:
- SetMTMode(3) and SetMTMode(4) also cause the crash.
- SD footage works in all cases with no crash.
- GreyScale(), known to be threadsafe with MT, also causes the crash with HD footage.
Attached Images

Old 4th November 2009, 16:12   #85  |  Link
Chikuzen
typo lover

@JeffBDVS
New version (7.0.1) seems to have been released a minute ago.
I recommend you to uninstall the existing one, and trying again with the upgrade product.
In my environment, it was not reproduced.

My system:
Windows7ultimate(x64)
Core2Quad Q9450
8GB RAM
RADEON HD3850
VirtualDub 1.9.7(x86)
AviSynth 2.5.8MT(SEt build)

Code:
SetMTMode(2,0)
AviSource("1280x720x60p_ULY0_10000frames.avi")
FlipHorizontal().FlipVertical()

Last edited by Chikuzen; 25th November 2009 at 17:52.
Old 4th November 2009, 16:13   #86  |  Link
Chikuzen
typo lover

Version 7.0.1

readme/installer(x86)(x64)/source

Bug fixes:
 x64 version installer does not register DLLs properly on some OS environment.
Others:
 Shorten display names of codecs.
Old 4th November 2009, 19:23   #87  |  Link
JeffBDVS

Thanks. I'll give it a try and post back.

-Jeff
Old 4th November 2009, 22:54   #88  |  Link
JeffBDVS

Well, using the script that Chikuzen gave me, and my own script as posted above, I was able to successfully export from VirtualDub about 33% of the time with the latest UT version. Some more notes:
  • If I tried to configure the codec in VirtualDub's Compression dialog, then VirtualDub would always crash on export. If I accepted the default values, then I got the 33% success rate.
  • All external filters that I've tried that work flawlessly with the Lagarith codec and MT AviSynth will crash VirtualDub 100% of the time when exporting with the UT codec and MT AviSynth.

-Jeff
Old 9th November 2009, 01:44   #89  |  Link
JeffBDVS

I think I should clarify: the crashes in VirtualDub result from *decoding* UT using MT AviSynth. Using Input video that is not compressed with UT and MT AviSynth, and then *exporting* to UT works perfectly 100% of the time (so far).

Things go pear-shaped in VirtualDub when the Input video has been compressed with UT and MT AviSynth is used.

Hope this helps,
-Jeff
Old 10th November 2009, 01:37   #90  |  Link
JeffBDVS

Bug report version 7.01:
ULRA (RGB + Alpha) appears in the compressor lists for Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects and VirtualDub. It does *not* appear in the compressor list for Camtasia 6 or Daz Carrara 7. ULRG, ULY0 and ULY2 appear in all apps. It's only ULRA that's missing in some programs.

-Jeff
Old 10th November 2009, 12:44   #91  |  Link
tobinaka

Oops, while I was concentrating on other issues, so many reports have been posted here. Thank you all! I'm now translating them in a hurry and must tell the developer ASAP.

Last edited by tobinaka; 10th November 2009 at 12:47.
tobinaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 20:33   #92  |  Link
Chikuzen
typo lover

@Jeff
There are some uncertain points in your bug report.

1:Which is the version of your AviSynth?
 There are seven kinds of version of AviSynthMT that I know.
 (2.5.7 tsp's original, 2.5.7 mod by seraphy, 2.5.8 mod by seraphy, 2.5.8 mod by Jeremy Duncan, 2.5.8 mod by SEt, 2.6.0 pre-alpha by Willbert and 2.6.0 alpha by SEt)

2:Which codec of UtVideo are you using?
 UtVideo is 'Codec suite' that is not one codec but four codecs together in one.

3:What is the concrete value that you set to Ut when VirtualDub Crashes?

Quote:
Bug report version 7.01:
ULRA (RGB + Alpha) appears in the compressor lists for Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects and VirtualDub. It does *not* appear in the compressor list for Camtasia 6 or Daz Carrara 7. ULRG, ULY0 and ULY2 appear in all apps. It's only ULRA that's missing in some programs.
Perhaps, it is not a bug.
ULRA is a codec for NLE/conposite Applications that uses RGBA.
ULRA doesn't accept the input other than RGBA. So,ULRA will not appear to the dialog without the function that an application pass the codec the stream with RGBA.
BTW,when compressing one video with ULRA in VirtualDub, are you adjusting output format of ColorDepth to 32bit RGB? If it doesn't do so,VirtualDub will be generated an error.
Because default Color Depth format in output of VirtualDub is RGB24.
Old 10th November 2009, 21:18   #93  |  Link
JeffBDVS

1. tsp's original. I'm open to trying a different version if you (or anyone) thinks it'll be more stable or perform better.

2. I tried ULRG, ULY0 and ULY2.

3. I tried many variations. If I limited UT to one processor, then it worked. If I allowed 2 - 8 processors, it crashed. I tried both Predict Median and Predict Left. I used progressive video and interlaced video, and I checked Assume Interlaced Video when it was appropriate.

Quote:
ULRA doesn't accept the input other than RGBA. So,ULRA will not appear to the dialog without the function that an application pass the codec the stream with RGBA.
Maybe you're right. The applications I mentioned will output RGB32 if the output codec supports it, but I'm not sure they pass RGB32 to the codec.

Thanks,
-Jeff
Old 12th November 2009, 08:11   #94  |  Link
Chikuzen
typo lover

@jeff

I transrate the content written in umezawa 's Blog freely.
Quote:
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
I tested on the following conditions for the confirmation of the problem.

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @3.00GHz
RAM 8GB
RADEON HD4350
Windows XP x86
AviSynth MT 0.7 http://www.avisynth.org/tsp/MT_07.zip
VirtualDub 1.9.7 x86
Ut Video Codec Suite 7.0.1 x86
Code:
#test script
SetMTMode(2,0)
AviSource("F:\cap20091103123626.avi") #ULY2,1280x720x60fps,8338frames
FlipHorizontal()
The crash never happened though I experimented many times.
Old 12th November 2009, 15:02   #95  |  Link
JeffBDVS

Good! Now we're getting somewhere! I, too, can encode the 720p60 stuff with 7.01. I couldn't with 7.00.

Does he have any 1080i or 1080p clips to test with? I'm currently getting VirtualDub to lock up after about 75-150 frames are processed using 1080i60 or 1080p30 with 7.01.

Thank you again for all your help with this. UT seems to be a terrific codec.

-Jeff
Old 23rd November 2009, 17:58   #96  |  Link
JoeH

Problems getting it installed on Windows 7 64 bit

I love this codec! But now I moved to Windows 7 64bit, and for as often as I reinstall it (including the new 7.02 version) I can't get it to appear in either VirtualDubMod, VirtualDub 32 bit or VirtualDub 64 bit as a codec option! I used it without any problems on my Vista 32 bit, where it would appear immediately after install.

Should I try manually registering? I am logged on as admin, UAC is totally turned off, etc.
--------------------------------------------------
OK. I tried to register it manually, and I get the following error, with a command prompt opened as Administrator, and running from the SYSWOW64 directory:
"The module utvideo.dll was loaded but the entrey point DLLRegisterServer was not found. Make sure that utvideo.dll is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again."

I do have a bunch of other codecs which properly installed, and in general my computer is working perfectly, so is something about the utvideo.dll 64 bit version which is incompatible with Windows 7 64?

Last edited by JoeH; 23rd November 2009 at 18:12. Reason: Additional testing done
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 19:00   #97  |  Link
Chikuzen
typo lover

Version 7.0.2

readme/installer(for x86 OS)(for x64 OS)/source

Chenges:
 x86 version installer is now unable to be installed to x64 Windows.
 Modified some text.

Last edited by Chikuzen; 24th November 2009 at 20:30. Reason: Add some words
Old 24th November 2009, 19:31   #98  |  Link
Chikuzen
typo lover

@JoeH
Umezawa seemed to have become Windows7 64bit user three days ago.
Perhaps, he had to have tested in his own latest environment before releasing 7.0.2.
And, the 7.0.2 installer(x64) worked normally in my environment.

Does Japanese version of Windows7 have something different from the other countries?
Old 25th November 2009, 15:25   #99  |  Link
JoeH

I'm glad to know some have been able to get it to work. I will continue testing. I just tested v7.0.2 on a different Vista32 install, and it worked perfectly.

@Chikuzen, just to confirm, after installation does it appear in the "Compression" settings in VirtualDub as a codec you can convert to? In theory there should be no difference between the Japanese and English versions of Windows.
Old 25th November 2009, 16:20   #100  |  Link
JoeH

I installed version 6.1.0 of UTVideo successfully in Windows 7 64-bit. Of course, it only appears in the 32 bit Virtual Dub.

I still have not been able to get Version 7.0.2 to appear in VirtualDub after install. I have tried repairing, and removing and reinstalling.

I tried installing Lagarith 64 bit as a test and it installed correctly and appears in both the 32bit and 64bit versions of VirtualDub.