Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 18th December 2008, 21:31   #1  |  Link
blah789

Transcode from Motion JPEG AVI to I-frame-only MPEG-1

Is it doable? Is a motion-jpeg frame identical to an MPEG-1 i-frame? If so, is there any utility that will losslessly rip each jpeg frame and place it in MPEG?
The best I could find was here
http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=6089
which referred to code here
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/graphi...GFunction.aspx
Unfortunately the code and the demo program are gone. Also I don't even know if the demo program could do what the thread title says (convert Motion JPEG AVI to I-frame-only MPEG-1) or if was only meant to convert one frame.

Also is this doable with MPEG-2? or MP4?
blah789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 17:33   #2  |  Link
mgh

doable with TMPGEnc. MPEG Settings-GOP structure- Iframes only. With mp4 codecs, max keyframe interval=1. You will need to set quality based encoding at close to 100% quality.
Old 21st December 2008, 03:21   #3  |  Link
blah789

Before I made the post I had already tried with TMPGEnc, I-frame only. My intuition told me it would recompress, not losslessly transcode, and I was right. So I don't think that works. Here's how I know: the output differs wildly in size. It shouldn't if it were a lossless transcode (just difference in overhead for container change which tends to be minimal).
blah789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2008, 06:38   #4  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

It's theoretically possible with any 8x8DCT-based format, i.e. MPEG-1/2/4 (but not H.264).
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2008, 16:46   #5  |  Link
mpucoder

I've been holding back while trying to locate a program I found years ago and tucked away to look at later, but can't locate it in my files or online. Someone did write a program to do this, although I believe it was to mpeg-2 not mpeg-1.

As Dark Shikari noted jpeg and mpeg both use 8x8 DCT compression. Both also allow for custom quantization.
However there are two areas which present problems.
1) Jpeg allows 4 types of chroma subsampling but mpeg allows only 3:
no subsampling (4:4:4)
horizontal subsampling (4:2:2)
both horizontal and vertical subsampoling (4:2:0)
So for all except vertical only subsampling the image data can be left intact. For vertical only subsampling you would have to either upsample to 4:4:4 or downsample to 4:2:0

2) jpeg allows interlacing which is not supported at all in mpeg-1, and not equivalent to mpeg-2 field interlacing. These images would have to be fully decoded and re-encoded.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i-frame, mjpg, motion jpeg, mpeg-1, transcode