Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Have you moved entirely off Google Code yet?
Yes 0 0%
No 3 100.00%
Nope, I forgot 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th March 2015, 02:59   #1  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Bidding farewell to Google Code~

Google has finally had it (this time).
(it was inevitable)

Back '14, I reported that Google would be disabling their download sections to project hosting.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...18#post1648018

Well, it seems now that since they disabled project downloading, they're having a 12 year tantrum and closing down for good.
http://google-opensource.blogspot.ca...ogle-code.html

Quote:
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015
Beginning today, we have disabled new project creation on Google Code. We will be shutting down the service about 10 months from now on January 25th, 2016.

...We will also make ourselves available over the next three months to those projects that need help migrating from Google Code to other hosts.
  • March 12, 2015 - New project creation disabled.
  • August 24, 2015 - The site goes read-only. You can still checkout/view project source, issues, and wikis.
  • January 25, 2016 - The project hosting service is closed. You will be able to download a tarball of project source, issues, and wikis. These tarballs will be available throughout the rest of 2016.

Google will continue to provide Git and Gerrit hosting for certain projects like Android and Chrome. We will also continue maintaining our mirrors of projects like Eclipse, kernel.org and others.
I don't know, but disabling downloads of proejects kind of defeats of hosting any project.
Even just for a wiki.
You can create your own wiki at an actual wiki domain.

Not letting users download test builds for projects makes hosting useless when the other services out there provide it all: source, binary releases, issue/help trackers of sorts, and possible info sections for more detailed help/info.

But, I find not being able to download a test or a stable release a big factor in me ever considering visiting the site.

I know FFMS2 is basically just an archival project for information on the project nowadays and the real work goes on at their github.

Google really did this to themselves and I thought they would have shut down a lot sooner after '14when they stopped projects from creating new downloads.
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 22:49   #2  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I've never used it, but wasn't one of the strenghts of google code that you could host your binaries and never get in trouble for the traffic that would follow?
Old 20th March 2015, 00:58   #3  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Yeah, they didn't have any bandwidth limits of any sort.
not like Google Drive where you have to up to 24/48 hours before download becomes available again.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
google code, news, open source