Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > Forum / Site Suggestions & Help

Old 16th July 2023, 00:37   #41  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

It's been a little over a month now, so I think that it was a good time to see where we're now.
Currently, Doom9 has a total of 153'952 topics and a little over 67'000 have been indexed.
This roughly accounts for 43.5% of the forum.
I can see lots of spiders scanning pages constantly including the Google ones, so it looks like it's just gonna be a matter of time before we get more topics back.
Unfortunately I didn't save those statistics before this whole thing happened, so I don't know where we were before in terms of indexing (I mean in 2022), but I think next month is gonna be a good time to get back and assess the situation again.

See you guys in one month.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2023, 04:56   #42  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Solution: stop using Skynet products and services, and switch to the good guy team: Startpage, Qwant, Duckduckgo.
Old 25th July 2023, 09:14   #43  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Solution:
Not a solution for the many that do use google, and that is a problem for this site and not for you yourself (or anyone else) as an individual.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2023, 23:48   #44  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Speaking of which, two or three days ago Doom9 suffered another outage for a few hours which I believe led to an IP address change, so Google stopped indexing again for a bit.
I thought Swede was gonna add another line to his logs but this time he didn't.
Speaking of which, it might be time to demand a new picture of the closet ehm I mean server room :P
Old 30th September 2023, 03:45   #45  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
It's been a little over a month now, so I think that it was a good time to see where we're now.
Currently, Doom9 has a total of 153'952 topics and a little over 67'000 have been indexed.
This roughly accounts for 43.5% of the forum.
I've been waiting a few more months and we're slowly but surely getting back to full index (although the sporadic downtimes don't make the process any easier).

Anyway, out of 153'952 we now have 79'200 indexed topics, so around 51.44% of the forum.
Old 3rd March 2024, 18:04   #46  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Hey everyone,
ever since the "incident", I keep looking at robots.txt https://forum.doom9.org/robots.txt
Looks like the new robots.txt is now blocking the entire website to the following spyders:

Byte (Chinese Search Engine), Ahrefs (a SEO company), Baidu (Chinese Search Engine) and Yandex (Russian Search Engine)

while Bing and Google are simply delayed so that they don't use too many resources while scanning the forum.
I use Google, so I don't personally care about Chinese and Russian search engines being blocked, but I'm just posting it here in case anyone does.
Still, I think we shouldn't block anything and rather use crawl-delay like we're doing on Google and Bing.

Speaking of Google, we're now at 83,900 pages there, up from 79'200 from 2023.

Last edited by FranceBB; 3rd March 2024 at 18:09.
Old 3rd March 2024, 20:03   #47  |  Link
Swede
Deputy

That's correct. I've been monitoring the load the crawler puts on the server, which is quite heavy, and since Byte and Yandex doesn't honour the crawl-delay as they should (maybe no all but certainly a lot of them) I've just blocked them totally.
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2024, 23:44   #48  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Ah, gotcha, makes sense.
Thanks as always for the clarification Swede.
Old 4th March 2024, 13:44   #49  |  Link
Swede
Deputy

Finally put down some hours, found the worst culprits and IPbanned them. I've then reinstated all crawlers and quadrupled the RAM. This should give me some time to relax.
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote