Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 29th August 2017, 18:31   #45221  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
What is this log for exactly? I can't see the decoder even trying to activate D3D11 DXVA decoding?
How odd, I did have it enabled in LAV and if I simply close and reopen the player madVR reported DXVA2n in the OSD. It may be a non-issue; once I stop changing the timings for a custom mode it stops happening.
Old 29th August 2017, 18:39   #45222  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Double click "activate debug mode.bat", then reproduce the problem, then stop the media player, then zip the "madVR - log.txt" file on your desktop and upload it somewhere and link to it here. Then double click "activate release mode.bat".
ok, done, here you go.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7b...ew?usp=sharing
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 18:45   #45223  |  Link
huhn

i can clearly see the blended frames. i'm pretty sure that i was unable to see them in the past but i don't use this screen to watch stuff. the OSD doesn't show issues.

on my TV SM at 60 Hz is totally fine.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 18:58   #45224  |  Link
aufkrawall

Do we know which scaler is used for madVR's smooth motion?
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 19:01   #45225  |  Link
huhn

no scaler.
Old 29th August 2017, 19:04   #45226  |  Link
aufkrawall

And the interpolated data originates from where?
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 19:16   #45227  |  Link
mogli

The last and the next frame are blended like e.g. 0.3*f_last + 0.7*f_next.
mogli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 19:20   #45228  |  Link
mparade

In case of HDR10 sources what are the data madVR would need as HDR metadata to passthrough to the HDR10 compatible display?

Color primaries, transfer characteristics, color matrix, range of black level and range of luma and chroma signals would be enough? Or such data as well like:

- maximum content light level (MaxCLL) and maximum frame average light level (MaxFALL);

- SMPTE ST 2086 mastering display color volume SEI info;

- HDR parameters in SEI packets;
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 19:50   #45229  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i can clearly see the blended frames. i'm pretty sure that i was unable to see them in the past but i don't use this screen to watch stuff. the OSD doesn't show issues.

on my TV SM at 60 Hz is totally fine.
Hmm. Did G-sync get enabled? That messes up smooth motion a lot. I just retested and 23.976 fps @ 144 Hz seems very good, it actually seems slightly less blended than 60 Hz (though the dangers of placebo are strong with this). Definitely not worse.
Old 29th August 2017, 20:02   #45230  |  Link
Matching_Mole

Quote:
Does your HTPC have a single or dual monitor setup?
Single display correctly recognized in Madvr. When I play a video in 1080/23p, Madvr indicate correctly the resolution as active in the custom rez screen.

Last edited by Matching_Mole; 29th August 2017 at 20:05.
Matching_Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 20:30   #45231  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Hmm. Did G-sync get enabled? That messes up smooth motion a lot. I just retested and 23.976 fps @ 144 Hz seems very good, it actually seems slightly less blended than 60 Hz (though the dangers of placebo are strong with this). Definitely not worse.
it should be better at 144 hz and no the screen is older then g-sync. it is one of the first 144 hz screens if not the first.
Old 29th August 2017, 21:17   #45232  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
can someone else test smoothmotion at 144 hz with a 23p source?

i see some really big issues on that screen right now and i don't know why.
FSE mode? 144hz is difficult for windowed mode. Another possible issue could be that the display accepts 144hz but might internally render at a slower speed. I don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
According to the log D3D11 DXVA decoding is active the whole time. Are you sure that LAV showed "D3D11cb" while creating this log?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
In case of HDR10 sources what are the data madVR would need as HDR metadata to passthrough to the HDR10 compatible display?

Color primaries, transfer characteristics, color matrix, range of black level and range of luma and chroma signals would be enough? Or such data as well like:

- maximum content light level (MaxCLL) and maximum frame average light level (MaxFALL);

- SMPTE ST 2086 mastering display color volume SEI info;

- HDR parameters in SEI packets;
SMPTE 2086 mastering display information (gamut, min + max luminance), MaxCLL and MaxFALL. Stuff like the video's color primaries, matrix, transfer etc are usually "assumed" and not transported, AFAIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matching_Mole View Post
Single display correctly recognized in Madvr. When I play a video in 1080/23p, Madvr indicate correctly the resolution as active in the custom rez screen.
Ok. Did you create the custom modes with madVR? Or manually by using an external tool or the GPU custom res control panel? The measurements currently only work for custom modes you created by using madVR, sadly. And you need to run the measurements for more than 10 minutes.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 21:36   #45233  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
FSE mode? 144hz is difficult for windowed mode. Another possible issue could be that the display accepts 144hz but might internally render at a slower speed. I don't know...
yes i'm using windowed it's a dual screen gaming PC FSE on the second screen gaming is a huge problem. the OSD doesn't show glitches, drops or repeats shouldn't this be shown if something goes wrong?

it's a native 144 Hz gaming screen it can for sure show them. it can do perfect 120 HZ + BFI too.

10 bit window mode was something like "FSE" as good as it maybe this helps but it is a 6 bit tn panel...
Old 29th August 2017, 21:39   #45234  |  Link
Asmodian

I was testing with the 144 Hz display as the primary monitor. I can test with it as the secondary when I get home but I wouldn't expect it to be an issue if no drops or presentation glitches are reported.
Old 29th August 2017, 21:43   #45235  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
yes i'm using windowed it's a dual screen gaming PC FSE on the second screen gaming is a huge problem. the OSD doesn't show glitches, drops or repeats shouldn't this be shown if something goes wrong?

it's a native 144 Hz gaming screen it can for sure show them. it can do perfect 120 HZ + BFI too.

10 bit window mode was something like "FSE" as good as it maybe this helps but it is a 6 bit tn panel...
madVR can only report what D3D says. Maybe DWM is dropping frames behind madVR's back without saying so. I'd strongly suggest you test FSE. Everybody who has problems with juddering playback should always test FSE as the first thing, IMHO. FSE has always been the most reliable playback mode - especially for very high refresh rates like 144hz.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 22:17   #45236  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I use overlay mode on my 144Hz screen, because its the only reliable mode on that which isn't FSE (since FSE is too disruptive if you do things on the side - which is the only time I even watch things on my desktop anyway)
Although windowed D3D11 presentation mode with present one frame every refresh enabled is also almost good.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 29th August 2017 at 22:28.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 23:44   #45237  |  Link
arrgh

Quote:
"Also"? So this is not a new problem?

Can you create a freeze report by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Break/Pause in the situation where the hang occurs? After having pressed the keys, a few seconds later hopefully a freeze report will appear on your desktop. If that doesn't work, let me know.

About judder: Please show a screenshot of the Ctrl+J OSD while the judder occurs.
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Break/Pause does unfortunately not work (not in Win10 nor in Win81);
for the judder Problem I have made two Screen shots. one for 2D (both on Win81)

one for 3D

best regards

Last edited by arrgh; 29th August 2017 at 23:54.
arrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 00:34   #45238  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
According to the log D3D11 DXVA decoding is active the whole time. Are you sure that LAV showed "D3D11cb" while creating this log?
You misread my post. D3D DXVA is active, the problem is that when in native mode the video freezes each time for 3 seconds after refresh rate is switched.

It does not have this problem in D3D11 CB mode.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 00:42   #45239  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I use overlay mode on my 144Hz screen, because its the only reliable mode on that which isn't FSE (since FSE is too disruptive if you do things on the side - which is the only time I even watch things on my desktop anyway)
Although windowed D3D11 presentation mode with present one frame every refresh enabled is also almost good.
i will try it not an AMD GPU in this system anymore. can only get better.
Old 30th August 2017, 02:39   #45240  |  Link
XMonarchY

For me Custom Refresh tool and settings only work if DSR is disabled... Has anyone managed to get both working?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling