Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 29th May 2021, 13:34   #61501  |  Link
tp4tissue

You may need to select the OTHER display hardware for your display device. where it says GTX xxxxxx

note that the gpu is listed xxxx for each connected xxxxx

Last edited by tp4tissue; 29th May 2021 at 13:37.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2021, 13:58   #61502  |  Link
el Filou

I don't think which GPU is used for decoding matters for black bar detection, as long as madVR gets the image back on the CPU (i.e. any decoding mode and config except 'native' hardware decode).
Sometimes with some madVR options it's difficult to find out why they don't work when they should...
Old 29th May 2021, 14:16   #61503  |  Link
huhn

correct.

try this add a folder with this name in the madVR folder: ShowBlackBars

this will active a mode where madVR will show what the black bar detection thinks. if it doesn't do than it's not active.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2021, 20:45   #61504  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
I just never update, still going 1806 HTPC is HTPC
i rolled back to 1909, no issues with MADVR but youtube was a mess, audio dropouts all over the place even with latest and AMD driver, no issues with 1909 and for once rolling back was seemless, took 5 mins.
Old 30th May 2021, 01:37   #61505  |  Link
Aceman21

Today I went to watch a movie and I noticed that hdr wasn’t enabled. I checked the osd and I noticed these that I’ve never seen and have no idea what they are or how they got there. First is the panavision one and second is the hlg thing. I have no idea how to fix this and I really want to watch a movie
Aceman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2021, 02:31   #61506  |  Link
jmone

HLG is Hybrid Log Gamma which is a combined std SDR curve for the first part and an aggressive Log curve for the highlights that makes a HLG file playable on both a SDR Display (with slightly washed out highlights) and a HLG compatible HDR TV. HLG is being pushed by both the BBC and NHK as a broadcast format that will work OK on both SDR and HDR(HLG) compatible sets. Think of it as a compromise of SDR and HDR together. Unless something recently changed, madVR does not support tone mapping HLG, and if your TV does not support HLG then it will display as SDR.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2021, 02:33   #61507  |  Link
Aceman21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
HLG is Hybrid Log Gamma which is a combined std SDR curve for the first part and an aggressive Log curve for the highlights that makes a HLG file playable on both a SDR Display (with slightly washed out highlights) and a HLG compatible HDR TV. HLG is being pushed by both the BBC and NHK as a broadcast format that will work OK on both SDR and HDR(HLG) compatible sets. Think of it as a compromise of SDR and HDR together. Unless something recently changed, madVR does not support tone mapping HLG, and if your TV does not support HLG then it will display as SDR.

Ok but why is it all of the sudden doing this ? This have never shown up like this before. My movies have always played in hdr not this hlg
Old 30th May 2021, 04:04   #61508  |  Link
Asmodian

It is because of the metadata attached to that file, it says it is BT.2020 and HLG.
Old 30th May 2021, 04:05   #61509  |  Link
Aceman21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
It is because of the metadata attached to that file, it says it is BT.2020 and HLG.

But if it’s never done it before why would it be doing it now ? That doesn’t make sense
Old 30th May 2021, 07:10   #61510  |  Link
huhn

we can't answer you why this file is HLG you have to ask the creator.

beware older madVR version where buggy with HLG misunderstanding the metadata and apply wrong HDR to it this has been fixed for a while.
Old 30th May 2021, 10:41   #61511  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

This might also happen if you use an old version of LAV Filters (pre-0.74) and madVR has dropped its previously accepted values for PQ HDR in recent development versions.
Some time ago, madVR introduced a custom value for PQ HDR signaling, but that value then collided with the official value for HLG when it was introduced, so you need to make sure all parts are up to date.
Old 30th May 2021, 10:43   #61512  |  Link
fireattack

Hi, a quick question.

I'm using an old SDR monitor, so when playing HDR BT.2020 content the color is off.
Based on some tutorials I learned from here, I enabled the option calibration and set the option "the display is calibrated to BT.709":

Now MadVR will convert HDR content to SDR so they look good on my screen.

However, I found out later if I enable this option, BT.601 (smpte170m) content will not playback correctly: the color will be converted too so the red colors no longer have the correct RGB values.

Is there anyway to have both work? I tried MPV and they all work fine (BT.2020 got converted to SDR, BT.601/BT.709 content plays as-is.)

Thanks.

Edit: never mind. It looks like the video I got just has the wrong color primaries tagged: it's actually BT709 but tagged as BT601. MPV "works" because it ignores color primaries.

Last edited by fireattack; 30th May 2021 at 12:16. Reason: Fix
fireattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2021, 10:56   #61513  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman21 View Post
But if it’s never done it before why would it be doing it now ? That doesn’t make sense
Use MediaInfo (under View --> Text) to check what the meta data of the file is. See if it is reporting as PQ/HDR10 or HLG
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2021, 12:57   #61514  |  Link
Aceman21

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
we can't answer you why this file is HLG you have to ask the creator.

beware older madVR version where buggy with HLG misunderstanding the metadata and apply wrong HDR to it this has been fixed for a while.

The file isn’t tho, if I watched the same movie last week and it didn’t do how would it all of the sudden change ?
Old 30th May 2021, 14:49   #61515  |  Link
Aceman21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
Use MediaInfo (under View --> Text) to check what the meta data of the file is. See if it is reporting as PQ/HDR10 or HLG

Where do I do this ?
Old 30th May 2021, 17:20   #61516  |  Link
NDUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Custom timings can damage a monitor, I saw it once (before madVR had the option). I believe is very rare today, but it is possible.

That said, have you tried deleting all your displays with CRU? This is the only way I have found to really reset them, sort of reinstalling Windows.
I gave this a few tries, and nope...

It seems that MadVR's custom modes menu has permanently damaged my monitor. The program really should include some kind of disclaimer that this can happen.
NDUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2021, 19:14   #61517  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDUS View Post
It seems that MadVR's custom modes menu has permanently damaged my monitor.
Are you absolutely sure that you are using the default EDID timings of your monitor and nothing else?
Beside that it could be coincidence of another problem.
When e.g. electrolytic capacitors of the monitor are older, they can loose capacity and similar effects like showing black picture, going on and off can occur.
Normally, if you exceed the capabilities of your monitor´s input range, the monitor shows an error message by OSD and you have a permanent black 'image' then until you change the timings to the allowed range.
When sending a 'wrong' signal, a monitor simply doesn´t show an image or a corrupted one or an error message, but nothing gets defective on the hardware side.

It could be coincidence or maybe something in your monitor was already a little bit out of spec and there was only missing a small deviation to produce a permanent damage.
But such a case is VERY unlikely.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2021, 19:57   #61518  |  Link
huhn

there is a reason all GPU manufacture are showing a damage warning with custom resolution.

it doesn't matter how rare it is.
Old 30th May 2021, 20:14   #61519  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDUS View Post
I gave this a few tries, and nope...

It seems that MadVR's custom modes menu has permanently damaged my monitor. The program really should include some kind of disclaimer that this can happen.
Did you try a different computer ?

This is extremely rare.
Old 30th May 2021, 20:18   #61520  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireattack View Post
Hi, a quick question.

I'm using an old SDR monitor, so when playing HDR BT.2020 content the color is off.
Based on some tutorials I learned from here, I enabled the option calibration and set the option "the display is calibrated to BT.709":
I thought madvr already assumed 709 during sdr conversion and gamma 2.2

In this case, by telling madvr that your monitor is 2.2g and has 709 primaries isn't exactly right, because your monitor almost certainly does not fit those descriptions by default without real calibration.

If the image looks Better to you , it's likely just the effect of lowering gamma which makes everything more saturated.

An OLD monitor usually means its gamma tracking is really out of wack.

What monitor are you using.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 30th May 2021 at 20:23.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling