Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 27th October 2004, 21:57   #81  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by frank
No, it was MP4, encoded with Nero Recode 2.
Because my Player (ESS chipset) can only play DivX AVI I wantred to demux the 4 GB MP4 stream (and mux with AC3). But MPEg-4 Modifier cannot open such long files.
So, like I was trying to hint at, your encode is no longer Mpeg4 in MP4, it's now Mpeg4 in AVI...

I'm curious, what de-muxing tool did you use... and why do you need to use MPEG Modifier?

And... are you sure your stand-alone can play 4GB AVI's?

Cheers
Old 27th October 2004, 22:24   #82  |  Link
frank
Banned

I've corrected my posting above. Sorry, I have mismatched the tools.

I don't know another demuxer than MP4UI for MP4 files. If the size is < 2 GB it works at all.
After demuxing the video I can mux with the original AC3 audio stream and get an AVI (video + audio in sync). Then I split the file into 2 GB parts with VirtualDubMod.
The f***d player cannot play AVI > 2 GB and doesn't like MP4.
It plays DivX and MPEG-4 streams from AVIs only.

Last edited by frank; 27th October 2004 at 22:53.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2004, 14:14   #83  |  Link
Mouse

I'm trying to use the latest mpeg4modifier 1.2.0 but get this error

Then i use the older version 1.1.0 and it seeme to work OK

I have .NET 1.1 installed, latest xvid - do i miss something?
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2004, 21:28   #84  |  Link
Moitah

@Mouse: Just use v1.1.0 for now. I should probably release a v1.2.1 to get rid of some of the error checking, or at least make them just warnings. Also, I was sent a patch that adds a progress bar during load/save, and allows loading a file via command line, which I haven't looked at yet... maybe this could be in v1.2.1 as well.
Old 4th November 2004, 21:34   #85  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Yes please

Cheers
Old 5th November 2004, 02:19   #86  |  Link
Mouse

Moitah,

Great news!

Reason i must remove "packed bistream" is that i have a Pioneer dv-575 with the mediatech chipset. Player plays the files, sound is OK, but video is somewhat "choppy", almost like a lag of frames.

Your software is a saviour for us
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2004, 03:03   #87  |  Link
unskinnyboy

Nice tool. I fixed the bad AR of an AVI using this, but the resultant fixed AR is only recognized by VLC Media Player. WMP and BSPlayer still plays back using the old bad AR.

Is it just me or is this how it is? If so, are there any other players which can recognize and playback corrected AR properly?

TIA
unskinnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2004, 11:03   #88  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by unskinnyboy
I fixed the bad AR of an AVI using this, but the resultant fixed AR is only recognized by VLC Media Player. WMP and BSPlayer still plays back using the old bad AR.

Is it just me or is this how it is? If so, are there any other players which can recognise and playback corrected AR properly?
VLC Player has its own "in-built" Mpeg4 decoder filter which is capable of PAR signalling detection.

If you want media players such as WMP9/10, BSplayer, MPC etc to recognise encodes with PAR signalling, you'll need to install an Mpeg4 direct-show decoder (DSdec) filter that can detect PAR signalling!

The new (beta 1.1.x) versions of XviD now come with such a DSdec filter. Or if you're happy with the version of XviD you already have and don't wish to install the beta, you could just swap the decoder filter with this version.

Sadly, there are very few Mpeg4 DSdec filters that can detect PAR/DAR signalling.

Cheers

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 18th November 2004 at 16:43.
SeeMoreDigital is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2004, 03:09   #89  |  Link
unskinnyboy

Quote:
Originally posted by SeeMoreDigital
VLC Player has its own "in-built" Mpeg4 decoder filter which is capable of PAR signalling detection.

If you want media players such as WMP9/10, BSplayer, MPC etc to recognise encodes with PAR signalling, you'll need to install an Mpeg4 direct-show decoder (DSdec) filter that can detect PAR signalling!

The new (beta 1.1.x) versions of XviD now come with such a DSdec filter. Or if you're happy with the version of XviD you already have and don't wish to install the beta, you could just swap the decoder filter with this version.

Sadly, there are very few Mpeg4 DSdec filters that can detect PAR/DAR signalling.

Cheers
Thanks for the reply. I uninstalled XviD-1.0.2-29082004 and installed XviD-1.1.-127-06112004 _Alpha Release_ (the latest I could find from Koepi's site). So when that is installed xvid.ax in C:\WINDOWS\system32 should have been replaced by the new one, right? It means when I playback the modified file now in BSPlayer, the new DSdec filter should kick in, detect the modified PAR and display the avi with the corrected AR, right? It didn't. Plays same as before.
Old 19th November 2004, 10:32   #90  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

It sounds like you need to visit XviD's "Configure Decoder" settings and press the "Reset" button.

Because the decoder filter is still in beta, you should be advised of one problem with it... It can't detect AR signalling of B-VOP encodes 'without bit-stream'.

To clarify, it works fine with: encodes without B-VOP. And encodes with B-VOP and with packed bit-stream).

Personally speaking, while the decoder is in beta, for everyday use I still prefer use the DSdec I provided a link to (ie: Minolta's version).

Cheers
Old 19th November 2004, 23:22   #91  |  Link
unskinnyboy

Quote:
Originally posted by SeeMoreDigital
It sounds like you need to visit XviD's "Configure Decoder" settings and press the "Reset" button.

Because the decoder filter is still in beta, you should be advised of one problem with it... It can't detect AR signalling of B-VOP encodes 'without bit-stream'.

To clarify, it works fine with: encodes without B-VOP. And encodes with B-VOP and with packed bit-stream).

Personally speaking, while the decoder is in beta, for everyday use I still prefer use the DSdec I provided a link to (ie: Minolta's version).

Cheers
I pressed the "Reset" button in the "Configure Decoder" settings. I replaced the xvid.ax with Minolta's version. And changed the AR of a 16:9 avi with B-VOP=1 and packed bitstream to 4:3. Same issue. Works with VLC, doesn't work with BSPlayer.

My sample specimen:
Quote:
Packed bitstream: Yes
QPel: No
GMC: No
Interlaced: No
Aspect ratio: Square pixels
Quant type: MPEG

I-VOPs: 6 (0.55%)
P-VOPs: 550 (50.14%)
B-VOPs: 541 (49.32%)
S-VOPs: 0 (0.00%)
N-VOPs: 0 (0.00%)

Max consecutive B-VOPs: 1
After setting PAR to 4:3 NTSC:
Quote:
Packed bitstream: Yes
QPel: No
GMC: No
Interlaced: No
Aspect ratio: Custom pixel shape (17:30 = 0.566666666666667)
Quant type: MPEG

I-VOPs: 6 (0.55%)
P-VOPs: 550 (50.14%)
B-VOPs: 541 (49.32%)
S-VOPs: 0 (0.00%)
N-VOPs: 0 (0.00%)

Max consecutive B-VOPs: 1
Old 19th November 2004, 23:51   #92  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Very strange...

Can you try the XviD Mpeg4 .AVI encode with XviD's DSdec?

It works fine for me!

You might also want to check your video playback output settings: -

Cheers

EDIT: Video output settings added

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 20th November 2004 at 14:16.
SeeMoreDigital is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2004, 02:51   #93  |  Link
thop

Could someone take the source code and make a linux command line version from it? Unfortunately there is no such tool that unpacks AVIs available for linux
Old 5th December 2004, 23:47   #94  |  Link
Infirmus

I reckon what would be useful would be the option to save changes to the avi file, and not rewrite the whole avi again. It would save heaps of time.

There should be a "Save" and a "Save as" button.
Infirmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2004, 19:05   #95  |  Link
Moitah

I removed the "No dummy N-VOP found for packed frame" error (it silently discards the packed frame now), added the ability to a load file via command line, and added a progress bar during load/save. Also, there was a bug with "rec " lists (the AVI index wasn't being updated for the list chunks) which has been fixed.

I will try to release a new version sometime before Christmas .

EDIT: I removed the strict padding check at the end of the VOL, this should fix some of the "Invalid VOL" errors.
EDIT2: The "AVI Source" text box now supports drag-drop so you can drag a .avi file into the text box to load it.

Last edited by Moitah; 18th December 2004 at 20:22.
Moitah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2004, 19:22   #96  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Sounds good....

Does this mean video streams de-muxed using AVI-mux (v1.16.11) will work again?

Cheers
Old 18th December 2004, 19:26   #97  |  Link
Moitah

Are you referring to the "AVI index is invalid" error? I just discovered that now but yes it was fixed when I fixed the "rec " list code.
Old 18th December 2004, 20:11   #98  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by Moitah
Are you referring to the "AVI index is invalid" error? I just discovered that now but yes it was fixed when I fixed the "rec " list code.
Yep... that's the one!

Thanks mate
Old 19th December 2004, 19:19   #99  |  Link
Moitah

Quote:
Originally posted by thop
Could someone take the source code and make a linux command line version from it? Unfortunately there is no such tool that unpacks AVIs available for linux
It should be pretty easy, if someone wants to try with Mono. Something like this will work (well, it doesn't change the user data, but that wouldn't be too hard either) assuming the rest of the code compiles:
Code:
static void Main(string[] args) {
	UnpackAVI(args[0], args[1]);
}

static void UnpackAVI(string source_path, string dest_path) {
	MPEG4FrameModifier mp4_mod = new MPEG4FrameModifier();
	AVIModifier avi_mod = new AVIModifier(source_path, mp4_mod);
	mp4_mod.Unpack = true;
	avi_mod.Write(dest_path);
}
If someone does this, please wait before releasing it so it can be based on MPEG4 Modifier v1.3.0 (hopefully will be out within a few days).

EDIT: I just compiled an ran the above code with the Windows version of Mono, it worked fine. I'm not too familiar with Mono, but I assume a binary compiled in Windows with 'mcs' would run in Linux?

EDIT2: I had someone running Linux test it, no problems .

Last edited by Moitah; 19th December 2004 at 20:17.
Moitah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 14:30   #100  |  Link
Moitah

Version 1.3.0 released, see first post for details.