Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 19th February 2020, 12:39   #341  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i don't think so.
wive the custom levels a try.
Can you give me some examples?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2020, 13:16   #342  |  Link
huhn

https://abload.de/img/customlevel7ykmy.png

you load a black image and check the values with the interactive display adjustment in DisplayCAL.
you set the black level as high as possible before the displaycal or your eye notice a difference.
after that check it again with a black level test:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php
again loaded in madVR.
i don't use that flicker test anymore.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2020, 13:33   #343  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

I'll try with the custom levels, also is using windowed overlay got something to do with the black clipping? Without the 3dlut I don't have the black clipping.

Last edited by Siso; 19th February 2020 at 13:37.
Old 19th February 2020, 13:45   #344  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Same thing with absolute, with absolute I can set 50% black output offset, anything above that is clipping the blacks. Same situation without the 3dlut.
well you said that it is the same without a 3d LUT.

if it is not happening without a 3D LUT you are currently wasting your time. my instruction are only useful if it happens without 3D LUTs.

overlay is really a bit different WTW and BTB will not survive (i haven't check this in a long time)and it load windows calibration differently but you should use disable GPU ramp anyway if you are using windows wide calibration.
Old 19th February 2020, 14:07   #345  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
well you said that it is the same without a 3d LUT.

if it is not happening without a 3D LUT you are currently wasting your time. my instruction are only useful if it happens without 3D LUTs.

overlay is really a bit different WTW and BTB will not survive (i haven't check this in a long time)and it load windows calibration differently but you should use disable GPU ramp anyway if you are using windows wide calibration.
I'm sorry about the misinformation, huhn. I checked during daytime and it had light in my room, so I couldn't see properly without the 3dlut. I tested in a semi dark room, and the clipping is coming from the 3dlut with black output offset anything above 40-50%.
Old 19th February 2020, 14:34   #346  |  Link
huhn

well i was more worried you will now waste your time with custom levels.

you may have to ask fhoech i'm not advanced enough in this part of calibration.
Old 19th February 2020, 14:42   #347  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
well i was more worried you will now waste your time with custom levels.

you may have to ask fhoech i'm not advanced enough in this part of calibration.
It's ok, I'll ask him. At least I know that the issue happens with the 3dlut.
Old 24th February 2020, 08:48   #348  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Monitor Dell AW3420DW.
This is an IPS, it's going to clip black dark detail, because the black level is too high.

So with IPS, you probably don't want to go above 60-80nits.

Because at ~1000:1 contrast, 60/1000 = 0.05nits. You push that too much higher, on bt1886 it'll look very grey and floaty, on gamma 2.4 pure power, it'll look more contrasty, but eat into the shadow detail because the base black is too bright @ 0.05+

IPS are not good monitors for movies. VA or Oled at the moment is significantly better.

You don't need to worry about black clipping on IPS, if you try to fix it it'll just look worse because you'd be pushing like bt1886
Old 24th February 2020, 09:10   #349  |  Link
tp4tissue

To calibrate that monitor, FIRST, just do test measurements of the few modes it has.

Select default gamma 2.2 from the top drop box, go to verification, check simulation profile, check untouched, check bt709, check use simulation profile as monitor profile use the 51 patch checker.

Now run that, what you're looking for between these modes is a relatively flat 2.2gamma, and flat 6500k. if they're all really off, try some of the options in custom. This is for the grey balance section. Don't worry about the Delta E, this doesn't matter right now.

For Color, Look for a mode that's using its native gamut, so the color dots from the 51 patch should fill out much wider than the bt709 targets, the color overlap the blank circles by a wide margin.

Once you figure out which mode you can use, THEN under calibration select 6504k white point, leave tone curve to the 2.2g default, don't touch black point correction or black output offset. leave default. Set calibration speed to medium.

You can also post the different simulation reports you get, And we can tell you which mode to calibrate.

AFTER you finish the default 2.2 gamma calibration, install that profile to the monitor and from here on let the dispcal autoloader run, this works way better than all other loaders.

This will be your desktop profile.

Next select Madvr 709, you stay in the same monitor mode.

Under calibration, you now select white point 6504 as before, but under tone curve, select default gamma 2.2, then change that to 2.4, This will carve out a 2.4 curve, then use that curve to drive the madvr lut creation. This won't affect your monitor's profile, this part is only the creation process for 3dlut madvr.

Under 3D lut, leave everything default, EXCEPT, tone curve, select 2.2 relative, then change to 2.4 relative. leave other settings default.

Under render intent, you'll want to create 2 different 3dluts, 1 will be the absolute colorimetric w/ whit point scaling, this will bec reated by default,

After this process finishes, you'll uncheck "create 3dlut after profiling, then under rendering intent, switch it to preserve Saturation, this will be the second profile you create, you can create it without redoing the whole calibration, it will just use the measurement data from before.

For anime and movies that lack color, you can switch to the preserve saturation profile, because your monitor is default p3 gamut, and it will look more colorful.

For slice of life movies, switch to the absolute colori wwps,

Don't use the install option for the 3dlut, just go into madvr and do that manually.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 24th February 2020 at 09:21.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2020, 09:19   #350  |  Link
tp4tissue

do not use custom levels, do not use black clipping tests. you don't need them. displaycal takes care of all of that during the calibration phase, then it enters profile phase.
Old 24th February 2020, 16:20   #351  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
Next select Madvr 709, you stay in the same monitor mode.

Under calibration, you now select white point 6504 as before, but under tone curve, select default gamma 2.2, then change that to 2.4, This will carve out a 2.4 curve, then use that curve to drive the madvr lut creation. This won't affect your monitor's profile, this part is only the creation process for 3dlut madvr.

Under 3D lut, leave everything default, EXCEPT, tone curve, select 2.2 relative, then change to 2.4 relative. leave other settings default.
When I calibrate for madvr 3dlut, I set these settings - http://imgbox.com/0kFJzViu What about black output offset?
Old 24th February 2020, 16:31   #352  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
When I calibrate for madvr 3dlut, I set these settings - http://imgbox.com/0kFJzViu What about black output offset?

You can't use the setting above, unless the default behavior of the monitor is nearly perfect. Which it almost certainly is not.

BUT, only after you've scanned through the hardware settings on your monitor to find the best mode for calibration. Otherwise, you won't have the optimal setting. Contrast ratio optimization is very important for IPS, because it has so little of it to begin with.

Use these settings when doing madvr. (not before looking through the modes for the best behaved one)
https://imgur.com/a/LRpNxb1
https://imgur.com/rC2jntH

Last edited by tp4tissue; 24th February 2020 at 16:41.
Old 24th February 2020, 16:44   #353  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
You can't use the setting above, unless the default behavior of the monitor is nearly perfect. Which it almost certainly is not.

BUT, only after you've scanned through the hardware settings on your monitor to find the best mode for calibration. Otherwise, you won't have the optimal setting. Contrast ratio optimization is very important for IPS, because it has so little of it to begin with.

Use these settings when doing madvr. (not before looking through the modes for the best behaved one)
https://imgur.com/a/LRpNxb1
https://imgur.com/rC2jntH
Everywhere people say that in Custom mode of the monitor you can reach the rgb channels to manually set them to match the white point. I always use Custom mode.

Last edited by Siso; 24th February 2020 at 16:49.
Old 24th February 2020, 16:55   #354  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Everywhere people say that in Custom mode of the monitor you can reach the rgb channels to manually set them to match the white point. I always use Custom mode.
The custom mode MAY be good, you don't know that for sure, unless you check the other modes as well.

Again, don't go by what people say online <except Tp4issue>, they either don't have a colorimeter and generally don't understand their device/measurements.

Load up default 2.2 setting from the top menu, go to verification. Then run the simulation profile testing as below

In Most cases, to maximize the contrast ratio, you'll prolly need to go into the dell hidden menu and tug on the rgb gain settings. UNLESS those settings work out in the custom mode, or possibly standard mode is already peak.

Test the modes first: vv

https://imgur.com/a/hj5jHvS

These things come out very different from the factory, one mode might do something for someone else, but NOT YOU, because the gains are set wrong at the factory.

Just looked at the manual for ur monitor, u can tell this is not targeted @ videophiles, it spends most of the pages telling you how to use the backlit leds hahahaha.

OK, test the following modes, under standard, test Warm, Cool, and Custom(set to 6504k via displaycal's interactive whitepoint). Test the custom mode a second time, with all the rgb values pushed to the highest. it'll look wrong, but you're just trying to figure out which gain is the weakest, and you'll try to target that channel's peak brightness with the other channels so that you get peak contrast.

Make sure the dynamic contrast is disabled, and all other settings that affect contrast. such as that black stabilizer.

Then go into the factory hidden menu, and check what goodies are available in there.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 24th February 2020 at 17:08.
Old 24th February 2020, 17:03   #355  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

In the other modes I won't be able to set the rgb channels.
Old 24th February 2020, 17:17   #356  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
In the other modes I won't be able to set the rgb channels.
Right , you can't set it in the main menu, but you want to test them anyway, in case you get higher contrast out of it, or a better tone response, or something else.

Don't worry about the RGB

With dell monitors, the factory gain is always available in the hidden menu. So if it turns out the other modes are better, you can adjust those gains in the hidden menu.

But you should test all of them to figure out the best behavior conditions.
Old 24th February 2020, 17:22   #357  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Right , you can't set it in the main menu, but you want to test them anyway, in case you get higher contrast out of it, or a better tone response, or something else.

Don't worry about the RGB

With dell monitors, the factory gain is always available in the hidden menu. So if it turns out the other modes are better, you can adjust those gains in the hidden menu.

But you should test all of them to figure out the best behavior conditions.
Will test them, the next time I'll start the calibrations. BTW what to do if this comes up when calibrating for madvr - http://imgbox.com/00pf6MEE I wonder if this will pop up with your settings, with mine it always pop up to ask me.
Old 24th February 2020, 17:46   #358  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Will test them, the next time I'll start the calibrations. BTW what to do if this comes up when calibrating for madvr - http://imgbox.com/00pf6MEE I wonder if this will pop up with your settings, with mine it always pop up to ask me.
mine doesn't ask me that, I'm assuming it's because i'm setting the tone curve in the setting for the calibration.

don't start the calibration, before you run the test, you don't need a calibration to test the behaviors of the modes.
Old 24th February 2020, 18:19   #359  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
mine doesn't ask me that, I'm assuming it's because i'm setting the tone curve in the setting for the calibration.

don't start the calibration, before you run the test, you don't need a calibration to test the behaviors of the modes.
Understood.
Old 29th February 2020, 10:08   #360  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

OK what about correction? Should I use "Spectral: LCD White LED family (AC,LG Samsung)"? Or choose one from the online database for example this one - i1 DisplayPro, ColorMunki Display & Dell, Dell AW3420DW by 4KM (i1 Pro).ccmx http://imgbox.com/E3r2SatS Here it says W-Led https://www.displaydb.com/compare/de...ware-aw3420dw/