Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 13th May 2010, 15:39   #1  |  Link
asbonasty

Extracting timecodes from an mp4/h264 under linux

Im trying to transcode some mp4s on my linux machine. Basically I want to transcode an mp4 (h264) video into a lower bitrate for the purposes of streaming on the web. Simple eh?

The problem starts when my mp4 has a variable frame rate (VFR) and it seems there is no fully linux way (that works) of extracting the timecodes from the video stream.

I use a program called DTSEdit.exe on windows to achieve this and there isnít a linux version knocking round on the internet.
Once I have this timecode file I then use tc2mp4.pl to convert the timecode file into NHML which mp4box can consume when creating the new mp4 (as per http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=112199 )

Ive tried using MP4Box Ėnhml to extract the data from the original mp4 but mp4box produces soemthing that when reimported behaves as if its a constant frame rate - i.e. doesnt work.

Does anyone have a fully linux way of extracting the timecodes from an mp4 so I donít have to resort to using wine and doing it that way? Id really appreciate any help on this one!

Cheers,
Tom
asbonasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 15:57   #2  |  Link
JohnAStebbins

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like HandBrake and probably x264 all by itself could do a VFR mp4->mp4 transcode.
JohnAStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 17:41   #3  |  Link
RunningSkittle
Skittle

Read this commit message:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=x264.git;...31432969f37d98
RunningSkittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 03:36   #4  |  Link
smooth_hands

Related to this:

I see that x264 now supports VFR ratecontrol. I'm wondering if this provides any benefit as opposed to my current DVD rip workflow:

rip DVD to .vob
run .vob through dgindex to get .d2v file
feed AVS script into x264.exe; AVS script looks like -> load .d2v, mpeg2 decoding/telecide/decimate, produce timecodes.txt
mux with mkvmerge; feed in timecodes.txt

Would the main difference be that I could cut out the timecodes.txt stuff and just run some additional parameters to x264.exe instead? Is there even any point in doing so?
smooth_hands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux mp4 vfr