Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 11th November 2015, 11:05   #1  |  Link
Zebbik

Sony Bravia 46KDL-W905A and problem to play videos.

I hope this is a correct place for this topic. The topic is related to play videos on hardware player.

I have a TV Sony Bravia 46KDL-W905A. According to its manual, it is supposed to play a video + audio encoded by XviDs, H.264, in containers such as MP4, MkV, and AVI including a couple of audio formats. The files can be provided by removable media such as USB stick or USB HDD. Some technical information are here:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/13HG900111/EN/index.html
http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/13HG9001...declist.html#5

I found out the TV has problem to play videos encoded by x264 and muxed into MKV container. I still don't know whether it is a container or a codec itself. The symptom is a video starts normally but after random time it stops and TV reports that video cannot be played. The location when it occurs is the same per each video meaning when I play video again it stops at the same location. It is different for different files. What I could do so far was to created some short videos and encoded them using variation of different configurations. I ended up creating 18 1 min videos with settings below:

6 videos: Constant Quality set to 16, combinations of Tuning (None, Film), and Target (Default, AVCHD, Blu-ray)
6 videos: 2pass, 4Mbps, the same combinations of Tuning (None, Film), and Target (Default, AVCHD, Blu-ray)
6 videos: 2pass 2Mbps, the same combinations of Tuning (None, Film), and Target (Default, AVCHD, Blu-ray)

Surprisingly, none of them stopped o_O

Then I tried to set one of h264 profiles that "worked" such as Target set to Blu-ray, Tuning set to None, 1Mbps, 2Mbps and 4Mbps, different audio encoding of AC3 (448Khz, 384 kHz) and all videos stopped again with the same error.

I was wondering why full movies cannot be played while I did not have any problems with 1 min videos. It turns out that these 6 movies where encoded on my computer at work using MeGUI v. 2525. It was intended just for testing. Then, because 1 min movies did not cause problems, I tried to re-encode all of them at home using EXACTLY the same configuration, 1 min long, Tuning, Target etc. and a few of them stopped again!!!! I lost motivation to test them all. It's been very weird and frustrating.

I tried one more test. I encoded a couple of full movies at work and it turns out they all can be played without any problem. To be certain that I work on the EXACTLY same version of MeGUI v.2525 at work and at home, I simply copied the whole MeGUI folder from work computer to mine. I tried to convert a couple of same movies I had already encoded at work that worked and they stopped!!!!! All of the them stops playing at the same location--different from one another movie but the same for an individual video.

It turns out that video converted using my computer are corrupted :/ I am looking for any advice here because I don't know where or what to look for. These are specifications of both computers:

Code:
At work (working):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Edition.
	Windows 7 Enterprise. Service Pack 1.
System.
	Processor:		Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz  3.40 Ghz
	Installed memory:	8.00 GB (7.88 GB usable)
	System type:		64-bit Operating System

At home (faulty):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Edition.
	Windows 7 Home Premium
System.
	Processor:		Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz  2.80 Ghz
	Installed memory:	6.00 GB
	System type:		64-bit Operating System
If anybody can see any sense of all this, I will be grateful for any comment or help on that.

PC. One of the differences I can say about is that, at work, the MEGUI is located on C:\ drive, whereas at home it is on D:\ Other than that, I have no idea what could be wrong!
Zebbik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2015, 11:43   #2  |  Link
Taurus

I dont know anything about the Sony Bravia.
Had some trouble in the past with my Philips TV.
Muxing the content of the mkv's into mp4 container
solved all the hazzles.
May I suggest MKVToMP4 to do this task.
Just search videohelp.com for this tool.
And try converting the ac3 audio to another format (aac).
Some TV players are still picky about this.
...and finally:
Maybe a mod can shift this to the Hardware Players Threads?
Thank you.

Last edited by Taurus; 11th November 2015 at 11:59. Reason: Hardware Players
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2015, 13:35   #3  |  Link
Zebbik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
I dont know anything about the Sony Bravia.
Had some trouble in the past with my Philips TV.
Muxing the content of the mkv's into mp4 container
solved all the hazzles.
And try converting the ac3 audio to another format (aac).
Some TV players are still picky about this.
Hi

What suprises me the most is that whether videos work or not depends on a computer, not settings themselves.

I'll try to do some testings with the audio format you have mentioned, first; meybe I should exclude audio at all before anything else. And then I'll have a go with MP4 container. Perhaps it will sort the problem. Not sure if MP4 is accepted by the TV, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
...and finally:
Maybe a mod can shift this to the Hardware Players Threads?
Thank you.
I did not write into that forum as I found only stickies there.

Last edited by Zebbik; 11th November 2015 at 13:37. Reason: Adding extra info tp post
Zebbik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
h264 decoder