Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th July 2008, 16:04   #261  |  Link
soresu

If I am to understand DivX business practise, then the encoder and decoder are not so much targeted at us enthusiasts but at the regular consumers to dont know ffdshow from squat, and would recognise and trust the DivX brand for using with their work.
This would play in with deals for DivX playback on XBOX 360 and Playstation 3, not to mention future STB standalone joint ventures.
Of course, that's not to say it wont still be interesting to compare them to the open source competitors!
soresu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 22:29   #262  |  Link
IgorC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami-Sama View Post
its not like ffmpeg is threaded yet...
Threading isn't everything. For example ffdshow ASP decoder is faster on single core than Divx's. Threding doesn't matter here.
While for multiple cores Divx's ASP decoder is very optimized. But it doesn't matter that much. Where is practical approach if ASP 1080p is easy decodable on enough fast 1 core?

Last edited by IgorC; 25th July 2008 at 22:33.
IgorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 22:30   #263  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama
Solaris: burnt by the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorC View Post
Threading isn't everything. For example ffdshow ASP decoder is faster on single core than Divx's. Threding doesn't matter here.
While for multiple cores Divx's ASP decoder is very optimized. But it doesn't matter that much. Where is practical approach if ASP 1080p is easy decodable on 1 core?
to bad we're not talking about ASP here
we're talking about AVC
where threading matters a bit more
Shinigami-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 22:40   #264  |  Link
IgorC

The point is Divx AVC decoder has higher timecodec fps numbers because it can load cores at 100% while ffdshow can't. But during the real playback there is no need for 100% load always. That's why Divx isn't that faster for real playback than ffdshow if you check real cpu load.
Old 25th July 2008, 22:46   #265  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama

FFdshow can't keep up on my P4 at 720p, divx decoder can
and if ffmpeg can speed up their decoder it will make divx pretty moot, especially with core already established as the fastest for a while now
Old 25th July 2008, 22:51   #266  |  Link
IgorC

Why do you disagree with thing I haven't told?
I said: Threading isn't everything.
I don't said: Threading is useless.

Some kind of not understading simple logic operators AND, OR, IF....

Last edited by IgorC; 25th July 2008 at 22:53.
Old 26th July 2008, 01:43   #267  |  Link
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorC View Post
For example ffdshow ASP decoder is faster on single core than Divx's.
You might want to try testing that again with a lower end CPU and a 720p XviD encoded video. DivX easily beats XviD and ffdshow with lower end CPUs.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 05:27   #268  |  Link
Sophocles

Quote:
If I am to understand DivX business practise, then the encoder and decoder are not so much targeted at us enthusiasts but at the regular consumers to dont know ffdshow
Sometimes an enthusiast has to drop a buck or two to get the most enthusiastic product. I paid $19.95 years ago for DiVx and then upgraded a few years later with an even smaller sum. That might seem a lot to those who rely on free products most of the time. Yet I've given perhaps three times that much to donations towards Imgburn.

Quote:
Threading isn't everything. For example ffdshow ASP decoder is faster on single core than Divx's.
My experience doesn't support that although it is limited to just two single core processors. The 2.8 GHz P4 Northwood clocked to 3.1 GHz and the Athlon XP 2500 Plus. Any way I tried to toss this salad the fastest decodes have been consistently coreavc, Main concept, and DivX. On really high resolution videos above (1920 X 1080) coreavc wouldn't load but DiVx and Main concept ran the course like a champs.

Quote:
so they've got some basic threading now

divx you better hurry up or you'll be totally obsolete before you even release
It would be nice if there was a beta 3 decoder release, and a beta anything for H.264 DiVx encoder.

Last edited by Sophocles; 27th July 2008 at 05:29.
Sophocles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 05:33   #269  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
My experience doesn't support that although it is limited to just two single core processors. The 2.8 GHz P4 Northwood clocked to 3.1 GHz and the Athlon XP 2500 Plus. Any way I tried to toss this salad the fastest decodes have been consistently coreavc, Main concept, and DivX. On really high resolution videos above (1920 X 1080) coreavc wouldn't load but DiVx and Main concept ran the course like a champs.
Note: he said ASP decoder, which CoreAVC isn't.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 05:36   #270  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
which is why he got ignored
Old 27th July 2008, 16:11   #271  |  Link
Sophocles

Quote:
Sorry I should have read the post a little closer.

Quote:
which is why he got ignored
Unfortunately not entirely ignored.
Old 29th July 2008, 00:21   #272  |  Link
pitch.fr
Didée 4 President

very impressive decoder!

the beta2 is so tight jitter-wise in MPC HC compared to ffdshow, and not blocky like CoreAVC(I use LSF in ffdshow and I don't like how CoreAVC looks).

MPC HC(in custom EVR mode) doesn't like how ffdshow doesn't make a smooth decoding(dirty MT) it creates too much jitter, this one is simply perfect.

except that all my 23.976/24 fps files(quicktime HD trailers, MKV, ts) are recognized as 25.000 fps in Reclock with the latest version of Haali's Media Splitter

and w/o ffdshow(doing LSF and RGB32 conversion), MPC says "0 FPS", so it seems that there's some major hiccup in providing the other DS filters with the frame rate info..

these 23.976/24 fps files are properly recognized with CoreAVC/ffdshow.......it was too good to be true I guess

OTOH 25/29.97fps are properly recognized with Remoulade beta 2, on XP SP3

EDIT : ran more tests.

Remoulade alone, MPC sees 23.976fps
Remoulade + ffdshow post-processing, still 23.976
Remoulade + Reclock 1.7b4, it says "cannot detect video frame rate"
Remoulade + ffdshow + Reclock, it says "25 fps"

it works perfectly fine with CoreAVC and the ffdshow h264 decoder..

PS : same problem occurs to several friends of mine also using Reclock, but for them sometimes it works for 23.976, sometimes it doesn't ?!

Last edited by pitch.fr; 8th August 2008 at 21:08.
pitch.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 03:16   #273  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Apparently DivX doesn't work with the "new" lossless either (High 4:4:4 Predictive profile, profile_idc 244). I implemented this in x264 and confirmed that it works through JM. Neither CoreAVC nor libavcodec support this mode currently (or Elecard or Mainconcept), and while DivX stated earlier that they intended to, Beta 2 doesn't work at all (it shows a black screen of the wrong resolution... maybe you forgot to include proper handling of profile_idc 244?).

For testing purposes, a clip can be found here. This video is the canonical "soccer.yuv" CIF video, and should decode as such. Note that I am not entirely sure that JM implements this correctly--while this video decodes correctly with JM 13.1, the standard says the prediction should be done on chroma and luma, while JM seems to only implement it on luma. I don't have any non-JM decoder to test this on though... if DivX knows of one that can be considered "reliable," I'd love to know what it is.
Old 7th August 2008, 11:05   #274  |  Link
BetaBoy
CoreCodec Founder

Dark Shikari... thx for the sample. Support for this will be added in the next CoreAVC release.

http://corecodec.com
BetaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 14:56   #275  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaBoy View Post
Dark Shikari... thx for the sample. Support for this will be added in the next CoreAVC release.
I would suggest you be careful and stick to the standard more than you stick to JM; the only thing worse than nobody supporting a profile is if everyone supports it slightly differently
Old 7th August 2008, 14:59   #276  |  Link
BetaBoy
CoreCodec Founder

We both know more about that for sure ;-)

http://corecodec.com
BetaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 17:45   #277  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Updated info for implementing this (courtesy of jvt-experts ML): the chroma prediction (not used in the above sample clip) is required by the standard, but JM 14.1, which displays a grayscale image as output, doesn't work because it only supports 4:4:4 lossless, not 4:2:0 lossless.

I have been unable to get i16x16 H and V blocks to decode correctly with the JM.

Edit: it seems the JM forgot to implement i16x16 pixel prediction completely! So I was right to begin with, and the JM was wrong.

Here is a sample that appears to be correct, according to the standard, and should be able to serve as a reference for making this work in DivX and CoreAVC. It uses both i16x16 and i4x4 blocks, and implements pixel prediction for both types. It doesn't have i8x8, but if you can do i4x4, i8x8 should be equally trivial.

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 7th August 2008 at 18:26.
Old 8th August 2008, 19:40   #278  |  Link
BlackSharkfr

All this 4:4:4 stuff interests me a lot since i'm about to start making some stereoscopic 3D videos, and anaglyph videos would really benefit a lot from 4:4:4.

Dark Shikari,
does your patch make x264 fully support 4:4:4 or is it only for lossless mode ?
BlackSharkfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 20:08   #279  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSharkfr View Post
All this 4:4:4 stuff interests me a lot since i'm about to start making some stereoscopic 3D videos, and anaglyph videos would really benefit a lot from 4:4:4.

Dark Shikari,
does your patch make x264 fully support 4:4:4 or is it only for lossless mode ?
No, 4:2:0 is still the only colorspace supported; High 4:4:4 Predictive is just the profile that allows predictive lossless coding (it supports 4:4:4 or lower).
Old 8th August 2008, 21:16   #280  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

i.c. - so x264 still only accepts 4:2:0 input, even though the lossless profile allows anything up to 4:4:4. We aren't there yet

It will be a fine day indeed with x264 and AviSynth can do high bit depth 4:2:2 and 4:4:4!

~MISfit

Tags
coreavc, divx, h264 decoder, remoulade