Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Closed Thread

Old 17th December 2015, 13:39   #701  |  Link
frank
Banned

dts->wav->mkv

I prefer professional DD 5.1 (AC3) conversion of DTS. (cinemas use Dolby Digital! Nowadays dts is only blu-ray avertising feature...) Certified DD is much better for home devices (tv, tablets, notebooks) because of switchable compression.
So far I used a simple eac3to batch file to make a 6 channel wav.
But because of the wav size (>2GB), no editor can read the wav header properly. The trick: mkvtoolnix reads big wav files, no channel mismatch! The wav file has to be muxed with mkvtoolnix to mkv. This audio mkv can be read by certified converters ->Mainconcept Totalcode Studio.

Certified Dolby Digital (ac3) files include 3 "versions" of the stream, that ffmpeg cannot:
uncompressed
standard compression (line)
heavy compression at -20 dB for noisy enviroment, notebooks etc.

with downmix params and a specified dialog level (standard -27 dB).

So I ask to add the feature to BD3D2MK3D:
Convert DTS audio tracks to WAV-MKV
for further processing.

Important eac3to parameter: -no2ndpass
Otherwise spikes require 2nd pass with lower volume. That is not necessary, you don't hear interferences.

Last edited by frank; 17th December 2015 at 15:23.
Old 17th December 2015, 14:07   #702  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
So I ask to add the feature to BD3D2MK3D:
Convert DTS audio tracks to WAV-MKV
for further processing.
Hum, sorry, but IMO it's not something for BD3D2MK3D. The main process is supposed to produce the final MKV without the need for additional manual processing. And, since the video is re-encoded in (normally) Half SBS or T&B, the quality is lower than the original BD anyway, and IMO it doesn't make sense to include huge DD audio stream. IMO, if you want to keep the original quality of the audio, you should also avoid to re-encode the video, and therefore you should simply copy the BD3D. In other words, the philosophy of BD3D2MK3D is to make a relatively good conversion to a relatively small MKV file, not to clone the original video and audio as closely as possible. And anyway, if you really want to keep the optimal quality, you should simply NOT re-encode the audio at all. Therefore, I don't see the advantage to output to WAV and re-encode for no gain at all.

If you really want to encode the sound in a format not supported by BD3D2MK3D, you have to do it yourself, and edit the MUX_3D_OPTIONS.txt file to mux the final audio stream instead of the original. That's not really difficult, and there are many good GUIs for eac3to to do it. Adding this as an option in BD3D2MK3D will only confuse the casual users, and you will not gain much processing time.

So, sorry, but I will not do it, unless there are several peoples interested in this.

Last edited by r0lZ; 17th December 2015 at 14:10.
Old 17th December 2015, 16:26   #703  |  Link
frank
Banned

Ok, I can help myself. And without any guis.
Quote:
...it doesn't make sense to include huge DD audio stream.
No, I reencode to DD with certified converter, then delete the wav/mkv.
Read a bit closer. I only wanted a better DD with compression for normal equipment as TV. Compression is basically required for downmix to stereo. Television broadcast sends with DD -23 dB and normal compression.
Quote:
if you really want to keep the optimal quality, you should simply NOT re-encode the audio at all.
No!
Blu-ray DTS has too much dynamics for NORMAL devices. You need a sound system with decoder that manages high dynamics (home cinema). The built-in decoders of tv-sets or stream-boxes are not able to manage that dynamics. Too much you have to use the volume control.
Downmix from blu-ray dts has NOT THE OPTIMAL QUALITY on normal devices with stereo sound.

Last edited by frank; 17th December 2015 at 16:30.
Old 17th December 2015, 17:33   #704  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I understand your point, but IMO, BD DTS is perfect (although I have only a simple decoder in my TV). I have never noticed a too high or too low volume (but it is true that I don't have neighbours, and I like high contrasts). Anyway, changing the dynamics of the audio tracks is beyond the scope of BD3D2MK3D.
Old 18th December 2015, 02:34   #705  |  Link
tebasuna51

@frank

You can always preserve the original DTS-HD or TrueHD tracks and after do yourself the conversion to DD.
Store the wavs in mkv is only spend disk space.

If you have problems with wavs greater than 2 or 4 GB you can always use W64 or RF64 output with eac3to.
Old 19th December 2015, 12:09   #706  |  Link
Airmiles

r0lZ,

I have updated to version 0.79 but suddenly can't run the program anymore. Windows 10 now says: "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher". Is there anywhere where I can download v0.73 again? That version worked fine for me under my parallels VM.
Hope you can help me out.
Old 19th December 2015, 12:36   #707  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hum, strange. Nothing related to the OS has changed in v0.79. IMO, it's a problem with Windows 10 (still VERY unstable) rather than with BD3D2MK3D.
And sorry, but I don't have v0.73 any more.
I will try v0.79 under Win10 as soon as possible, but I can't do it right now, because a long test encoding is in progress. Be patient...

Anyway, try to download the latest version again. IMO, the problem could be caused by a damaged exe.
Old 19th December 2015, 12:48   #708  |  Link
Airmiles

OK. Strange, everything worked fine under windows 10 with version 0,73. I will try reinstalling windows 7 and run it again. Then I can always upgrade to windows 10 again.
Old 19th December 2015, 16:04   #709  |  Link
AKI84

I just tested v0.79 with Windows 10 x64 and it works fine for me. I can't test it in a paralles VM because I don't own a Mac.
I don't have v0.73. I only have v0.72 & v.0.74 on my computer. I uploaded v0.74 to a File Hosting service. Maybe v0.74 works for you.
BD3D2MK3Dv0.74.7z
Old 19th December 2015, 16:10   #710  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for him, and welcome to the Doom9 forums, AKI84 !
Old 19th December 2015, 18:39   #711  |  Link
Airmiles

On windows 7 same problem with 0.79. Won't open, saying, this is not a valid windows 32 command (strange since it is a x64 windows 7 that's running). Thanks AKI84!!! Version 0.74 will open, but when I want to open the disc, it says:

Error: invalid command name " get3d playlists"

invalid command name "Get3Dplaylists"
invalid command name "Get3Dplaylists"
while executing
"Get3Dplaylists [file join $::bd_dir BDMV PLAYLIST] $::config(debug)"
(procedure "OpenBD" line 76)
invoked from within
"OpenBD $r"
(procedure "SelectBD" line 9)
invoked from within

What can the cause of this error be? I have done everything as I have always done before (avisyth 2.5 64 bit installed, as is version 0.74 with its toolbox). Would appreciate the help.

Last edited by Airmiles; 19th December 2015 at 18:47.
Old 19th December 2015, 20:17   #712  |  Link
AKI84

My guess is that newer versions of BD3D2MK3D don't like to run in a Paralles VM. You could try using a different version of Paralles or try another VM Software like Virtualbox.
I also uploaded v0.72. Maybe that version will work in your VM.

BD3D2MK3Dv0.72.7z
Old 19th December 2015, 20:18   #713  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Get3Dplaylists is a function defined in BD3D2MK3D. It has always worked, since it is an essential function called when a BD3D is opened.

I don't know what's happening, but obviously your system is ill, or the copy of BD3D2MK3D you are using are systematically damaged, and in that case, chances are that you have a very bad internet connection.

Anyway, I can't give support for an old version. Have you tried to download the latest version again, as I suggested in my previous post? It should work, and it is developed under Windows 7 64-bit.
Old 20th December 2015, 09:15   #714  |  Link
Airmiles

OK, seems I copied some errors from unzipping the 7z format on my mac and then copying it to my windows VM. Did everything within windows now and v.079 starts up fine now. It loads the disc, but when I hit "do it", I get the following error:

*** Welcome to BD3D2MK3D v0.79

*** Trying to open "D:\" as a 3DBD...
*** Opening BD disc "D:\"...
*** Filtering 11 MPLS files...
*** 2 3D MPLS files loaded on a total of 11 3D playlists.
*** BD disc or folder "D:\" opened successfully. 2 3D playlists loaded.

Generating project "Jurassic Park 3D\00800"...

Main job started Sun Dec 20 09:12:28 CET 2015.

Saving file "00800.demux.meta"...
Saving file "chapters_2D_no_delay.ogm.txt"...
Saving file "chapters_2D_no_delay.qpfile"...
Saving file "chapters_3D_delay.ogm.txt"...
Saving file "chapters_3D.qpfile"...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** Demuxing the streams...
Network Optix tsMuxeR. Version 2.6.9. www.networkoptix.com
*** tsMuxeR.exe demux error: child killed: segmentation violation
Command was:
> tsMuxeR.exe "00800.demux.meta" "C:/Users/iMac/Documents/Jurassic Park 3D/00800"
Oops! tsMuxeR has crashed due to a segmentation violation.

This tsMuxeR error happens usually when you try to process a protected commercial BD3D directly.

BD3D2MK3D (and tsMuxeR) cannot decrypt the BD3D, and you have to rip it to an ISO on HDD with a good decrypter program first, and then mount the ISO (with an ISO Mounter program if you use Windows 7 or XP, or with the native mounter under Windows 8 or 10).
You can also install and run the commercial program AnyDVD HD to decrypt the original BD on the fly.

Please retry with a properly decrypted BD3D or ISO.
() 1 %

Strange, because AnyDVD HD is running and has removed protection. Have you come across this before? What can I do about it? And I hope no child was killed in actual life...:-)
Old 20th December 2015, 09:47   #715  |  Link
Airmiles

OK, r0lZ,

I seem to have it running again. Seems it was a problem with my VM. It is kind of picky when it comes to how the VM is configured regarding access rights to the external BD reader. It seems, when it is shared with the mac, tsMuxer crashes and doesn't recognise it as a decrypted disc. When the access rights to the external device are solely/primarily given to the windows VM in the parallels configuration, it doesn't crash. I have now given access rights to the disc as well as usb ports to the VM only and it now works.

Sorry for wasting your time. I know it is probably to much to provide support to VM users as well. I am not on this forum too much, with busy lives and kids and all, but if somebody has problems with your program on a VM, or you need testing, and I am actually around then I am always glad to help.

Best,

Airmiles
Old 20th December 2015, 12:01   #716  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Interesting findings, Airmiles. When I have read that "AnyDVD HD is running" in your VM, I have immediately suspected a problem with the combination of AnyDVD with the VM. AnyDVD is essentially a driver, working at a low level in the system, and it may not be compatible with a VM emulating only a higher level. It seems that it can work, but only with exclusive access.

I'm glad you have found the solution yourself, because I would have been unable to help you. And I remember your proposition to help in case of similar problems with a VM (although I'm not sure we can trust a child killer like you! ;-) In the meantime, I'll add a short sentence about the VMs in the message displayed when tsMuxeR crashes. Thanks for having reported the solution!
Old 20th December 2015, 12:24   #717  |  Link
Airmiles

Great. Glad to have helped. Keep up the great work.
Old 21st December 2015, 10:45   #718  |  Link
sfatula

So, I have backed up my copy of a bluray disc via makemkv. The backup plays just fine using VLC, as you know, makemkv removes the protection. I take that backup, and, run it into bd3d2mk3d. It opens fine, and, shows the left and right eye streams on the open bluray tab, along with subtitles, audio. It shows a length of just over 2 hours. All is good. It does the demux, and, the .264 file shows 19GB + 10GB for the mvc. Still correct. It does the encode, and, I end up with a 5GB file with no video. It's just a black screen, sounds plays fine. Confused. This is with v0.79.

I can see the mkvmerge log (the final merge to create the mk3d), and, it shows the input dts-ma file of 5GB, and, a .264 file of only 13MB! The question is, where did the 13MB file come from? The 13MB input file to mkvmerge was named 00800_3D.264. It appears that comes from avs2yuv and x264_x64.exe. So, maybe it has to do with 64bit x264. So, will try turning off 64 bit. Tomorrow, I will see I guess. But strange?

Assuming 32 bit fails in the same manner, any ideas?
Old 21st December 2015, 12:32   #719  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I have had that problem (all black frames) only once, when I've tried to update libmfxsw32.dll from the INDE 2015 (a recent development toolkit of Intel). It appears to have a bug causing that problem with DGMVCSource. The bug happens only with some 3DBDs. (In my case, I've noticed it with Creature from the Black Lagoon.) I've tried less recent versions and the new 2016 version too, and they have the same bug. So, finally, I kept the version that is still distributed with BD3D2MK3D (v6.14.11.28 from Nov 2014), that works fine. Curiously, FRIMSource doesn't have that problem when it uses one of the bad libmfxsw32.dll. I don't know why.

If you have an Intel CPU that supports the hardware optimisation, chances are that you have installed the driver, and therefore the libmfxhw32.dll installed with the driver is used instead of libmfxsw32.dll. And if it's a recent version, it has probably the same bug.

So, I suggest to try to encode in software mode (Settings -> MVC Decoder -> Hardware acceleration -> Disabled), or to try the other MVC decoder (Settings -> MVC Decoder -> Use FRIMSource). Note that you don't need to wait the end of the encoding to know if the decoding works correctly. If the process is much faster than usual (after, say, 5% of the encoding), that means probably that x264 is encoding black frames. You can also try to encode this short sample (from Creature from the Black Lagoon), to verify if you are experiencing the same bug.

Please try the two solutions above, and report if they worked. I'm also interested in the title of the BD3D that causes the problem, and if you have experienced that problem with other 3DBDs as well. Thanks in advance.

For more information and the history of this bug, see this report of the bug to Donald Graft, the author of DGMVCSource, and the last paragraph of this post, where I explain why I haven't updated libmfxsw32.dll.

Last edited by r0lZ; 21st December 2015 at 12:36.
Old 21st December 2015, 19:15   #720  |  Link
sfatula

Turning hardware encode off now, however, over night, it appears 32 bit was working, until it hung? The 00800_3D.264 was 12GB, however, the console window showed how many frames encoded and just sat there, never did the mkvmerge, so, was not sure if it was truly done. No activity per task manager. Hitting keys did nothing, just closed the window and started over with HW encode off. It never showed the text from the echo that it was done (Encoding finished). Definitely have Intel CPU that does hardware acceleration, it's used in kodi. I do have a libmfxhw32.dll, date was 10/02/2015. Sounds pretty new to me. Version 6.15.7.10.

The name of the bluray is Jurassic World 3D. Have not had any trouble with other blurays, but, I don't own a lot of them at this time.

Anyway, it's running, we'll see if it works, and, it will take a long time without hardware. About a day apparently. If it works, I will still try hardware with FRIMSource just to see how that works (and turning back on hardware as AUTO). Any particular reason FRIMSource is not preferred, or, why DGMVCSource is preferred?
Closed Thread