Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 4th July 2005, 18:57   #1  |  Link
rjamorim
Blah!

DVD-Audio ripper

Greetings

I just uploaded to RareWares a tool that enables WinDVD owners to rip full quality DVD-Audio tracks encrypted with CPPM.

It does so by launching/patching WinDVD 5/6/7 and redirecting the stream to disk instead of the sound card after decryption.

Check it out: http://www.rarewares.org

Best regards;

Roberto.

PS: I didn't test it, as I don't have any DVD-Audio disk, so please don't flame me too hard if it turns out not to work :P
Old 4th July 2005, 22:13   #2  |  Link
Wilbert

Thumbs up! I can't wait to try this out
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 22:40   #3  |  Link
rjamorim
Blah!

Quote:
i assume this means it outputs a decoded wav and not only does decrypting?
I honestly don't know. I don't have any DVD-A to test it here.

Also, the guy that pointed me to it mentioned there is a catch: WinDVD won't play unencrypted and watermarked DVD-As. The logic is this:

you can play encrypted with watermarking (original)
you can play encrypted without watermarking (original)
you can play unencrypted without watermarking (home)
you can't play unencrypted with watermarking (pirate)

Strangely enough, PowerDVD will play unencrypted and watermarked streams fine :B

Last edited by bond; 15th August 2007 at 18:57.
rjamorim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 23:04   #4  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quite honestly if these apps (or similar apps) can't strip the encryption from an DVD-A stream without re-encoding it to say WAV, I can't see the point of them!

I have around 20No DVD-A disc's and all of them come with an unencrypted 6Ch AC3 element.

For all we know, the current 6Ch AC3 element sounds just as good as converting 6Ch DVD-A to 6Ch WAV

Cheers
Old 5th July 2005, 05:40   #5  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Quite honestly if these apps (or similar apps) can't strip the encryption from an DVD-A stream without re-encoding it to say WAV, I can't see the point of them!
May I remind you that some 6 years ago DVD ripping meant framegrabbing and recording using an audio recorder software? It wasn't much but it was a start.
Old 5th July 2005, 09:51   #6  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
May I remind you that some 6 years ago DVD ripping meant framegrabbing and recording using an audio recorder software? It wasn't much but it was a start.
Agreed, there's no denying any positive start in this field has got to be a welcome start.

However, the ultimate goal in backing up DVD-A disc must be generating a clean (non encrypted) DVD-A stream.

rjamorim, if you don't have any DVD-A disc's of your own to try, please PM me and I'll post you one of mine!

Cheers
Old 5th July 2005, 10:36   #7  |  Link
rjamorim
Blah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital
As you probably noticed, there are several "tools" for DVD-A ripping at RareWares. dvdaripper.exe just unencrypts the AOBs, so that you can later burn them to another DVD. And ppcmripper.exe can take these unencrypted AOBs and output high quality wavs out of them.

Last edited by rjamorim; 5th July 2005 at 10:38.
Old 5th July 2005, 11:47   #8  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjamorim
As you probably noticed, there are several "tools" for DVD-A ripping at RareWares. dvdaripper.exe just unencrypts the AOBs, so that you can later burn them to another DVD.
Well that's the holy grail tool for us DVD-A fans!

Quote:
And ppcmripper.exe can take these unencrypted AOBs and output high quality wavs out of them.
Useful I guess, but the WAV files must be massive when compared to the AOB files.

Admittedly, the WAV's could be used as a source to re-encode to other formats... But like I hinted at earlier, this can be done anyway by using the AC3 stream. That said, the audio quality of an "AOB->WAV->other format" might be better than an "AC3->other format", but would it be worth the effort?

Cheers
Old 5th July 2005, 13:17   #9  |  Link
Wilbert

@rjamorim,

So it's also possible to uncompress those MLP audio files (having WinDVD)?

edit: MLP = PPCM, sorry i forgot about that

edit2: usage: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...ic=34368&st=25 (the first post of skamp and the one after that)

edit3:
Quote:
As you probably noticed, there are several "tools" for DVD-A ripping at RareWares. dvdaripper.exe just unencrypts the AOBs, so that you can later burn them to another DVD. And ppcmripper.exe can take these unencrypted AOBs and output high quality wavs out of them.
If i understand it correctly, the decoding to wav doesn't hold for the MLP (aka PPCM) tracks because WinDVD can't play them

Last edited by Wilbert; 5th July 2005 at 16:18.
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 16:14   #10  |  Link
rjamorim
Blah!

Quote:
Useful I guess, but the WAV files must be massive when compared to the AOB files.
Yes, but you can also resample and dither during conversion from PPCM, according to reports from people that already tried the programs. WinDVD actually takes care of that.

I don't know if the superior (?) quality compared to AC3 makes it worth the effort, but at least now it can be done.

Now let's start the countdown until a RIAA registered letter arrives at my mailbox...

Last edited by rjamorim; 5th July 2005 at 16:20.
Old 6th July 2005, 00:03   #11  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Unless I'm misreading the help files you don't have to use dvdaripper.exe first. It seems you can use ppcmripper.exe on a commercial disc.

"2. Load DVD-Audio disc (original or decrypted copy) into DVD drive."
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 00:51   #12  |  Link
Stereodude

Well, for what it's worth I can't get Gear Pro Mastering Edition to make a DVD-A on my PC. It reads the files and processes them, then prompts for video files, and after reading those the audio_ts files are gone.

ppcmripper.exe will decode 2 channels from the original DVD-A disc however.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 01:11   #13  |  Link
darkedgex

Quote:
That said, the audio quality of an "AOB->WAV->other format" might be better than an "AC3->other format", but would it be worth the effort?
It would be higher quality. IIRC the frequency range for DVD-A (AOB) content can be much higher than that of AC3 encoded (VOB) content. Further, the AOB content is lossless (be it either PCM or MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing)), so as a high quality source the AOB makes more sense.

Basically, I think anyone who's interested in ripping DVD-A is likely doing so from the position of wanting to have the high quality content DVD-A offers. Otherwise they'd be ripping CD's instead. :P
darkedgex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 04:16   #14  |  Link
plonk420
amd & h.264 fanboy

dang, i sold my Linkin Park Reanimated DVD, and there's only 1 DVD-A disc on Blockbuster Online. anyone have Netflix (and know if they have any?)
plonk420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 05:55   #15  |  Link
grug2k
Evil Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude
Unless I'm misreading the help files you don't have to use dvdaripper.exe first. It seems you can use ppcmripper.exe on a commercial disc.

"2. Load DVD-Audio disc (original or decrypted copy) into DVD drive."
You can do it without dvdaripper, but note:

"5. Only stereo (original or downmix) can be captured from CSS/CPPM-protected discs. That is the feature of WinDVD Player. For multichannel capture decrypt disc first. "
grug2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 05:56   #16  |  Link
Revgen

Netflix only carries movies.
Revgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 07:45   #17  |  Link
Nedfu

Testing this on my Michael Mcdonald - Motown DVD-A. The case says MLP so I ran ppcmripper. It's going now and making a wav file, should it be playing it and ripping in real-time like it is?

Edit- track 1 was only 42mb and no data from what I can tell. How can you tell if a disc is watermarked? It does have the DVDAUDIO.MKB file.

Last edited by Nedfu; 6th July 2005 at 07:47.
Nedfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 08:08   #18  |  Link
grug2k
Evil Member

If the disc is protected and you're attempting to decode a multichannel mix it won't work, you need to rip the whole thing with dvdaripper first.

DVD Decrypter+DVDARipper-> .ISO -> PPMRipper gave me a nice 5ch 24/96 WAV...One 4:45 track was almost 500MB in size. FLACced that was about 260MB.
grug2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 08:11   #19  |  Link
Cyberace

I thought the Verance Watermark Secure Digital Music Initiative (SDMI) had already been been hacked (link)?, Jon Lech Johansen (aka 'DVD-Jon', the guy who officialy cracked CSS) released a new SDMI crack (link) recently but his link is now dead ...however (as always), google to the rescue => Jon+Lech+SDMI search (link), and SDMI crack DVD-A search (link)
Cyberace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 15:10   #20  |  Link
Nedfu

I was able to rip the /audio_ts with dvdaripper, then I did the /video_ts with dvdecryptor. Then I created an iso of those 2 folders and mounted with alcohol. Windvd will play those and the information tab says it's downmixing the 24bit/44khz 6 channel packed PCM 6350kbit.

But then I burned the iso to a dvd+r and my pioneer dvd-a/sacd player chokes after telling it to play the 6 channel dvd-a track or 2 channel dvd-a track. Any ideas?
Nedfu is offline   Reply With Quote