Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd June 2023, 10:39   #1961  |  Link
djsolidsnake86

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
that depends on the renderer and some are clearly affect by that.
madvr
djsolidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2023, 10:59   #1962  |  Link
huhn

the OSD it self is affect by video display size the text (which is huge on madVR) is static afaik.

the normal font can be changed under tweaks.

if 25 isn't big enough for you you can try a font that appears bigger.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2023, 11:26   #1963  |  Link
clsid

When using MadVR, the OSD is drawn by MadVR and not the player, and the player settings do NOT have any effect at all. MadVR development is dead.
Old 5th June 2023, 09:15   #1964  |  Link
hello_hello

Is anyone here running MPC-HC on Linux/Wine?

I've managed to get it working, but there's an oddity with MPC-HC's options. It's not a deal-breaker because once it's configured I don't play around with the options much, but I thought I'd ask....

When opening Options, the initial page displays normally, but if I switch to a different one nothing is displayed, although some items do appear after moving the cursor over them, but to get the page to display correctly it's necessary to select the setting, close MPC-HC's options, then open it again. Is there something I should look at adjusting or installing to fix the problem? It looks like this.

Opening Options at the Player page

Switching to the Formats page

Moving the cursor around the blank window

After closing Options and opening it again.

Edit: I hit a road block due to my inability to convince MPC-HC to open Avisynth scripts via Wine. It simply tells me it can't render the file.
AvsPmod is displaying them though, so maybe it's a directshow issue or something.....
$#&$ typical! My main motivation for installing MPC-HC was so I could use it to find frame numbers in a script or video without too much fuss and I don't have a backup plan for that one yet....

Last edited by hello_hello; 5th June 2023 at 10:26.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2023, 10:15   #1965  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Requested frame is not a correct frame. Returned frame is always requested frame+1
For as long as I can remember, seeking to a frame in a script has been off by one compared to seeking to a frame in the source video (at least for MKVs).
Old 5th June 2023, 11:42   #1966  |  Link
huhn

as already said they just count different one starts a 1 and one at 0.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2023, 11:03   #1967  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Is anyone here running MPC-HC on Linux/Wine?
Wow, cool stuff. Only MPC-HC(BE) are good Matroska players and I'm also interested how this works to run on Linux.
Is there a guide/tutorial to set up this?
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2023, 19:16   #1968  |  Link
Sunspark

I don't see the value in running the MPC players on Linux because they are dependent on hardware decoding/acceleration for the renderers, unless the plan is to just use software decoding/playback? Unless somehow, it just works? I'm skeptical that this is the case. Drivers matter too. For example, the Windows drivers (not supported) for the Steam Deck don't even include hardware acceleration for video, so even though you can install and use Windows there and the players & renderers will all work fine (some like mpcvr anyway, others may have washed out blacks), the GPU won't be used for the decoding and rendering. Not worth running something like this solely off the CPU.

I think it is better to run a player on Linux that was compiled natively. VLC, MPV will both use hardware acceleration natively there. You can use custom front-ends for MPV, e.g. Haruna, Celluloid, SMPlayer, etc.

Last edited by Sunspark; 6th June 2023 at 19:21.
Sunspark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2023, 08:34   #1969  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
Wow, cool stuff. Only MPC-HC(BE) are good Matroska players and I'm also interested how this works to run on Linux.
Is there a guide/tutorial to set up this?
It's working fine, or pretty close.
I've been using PlayOnLinux to install programs on Wine (64 bit), and it's not too hard, although I did spend a bit of time trying to get hardware acceleration to work without any luck, although I'm not 100% sure it wasn't working, but MPC-HC was failing to tell me it was. I'm running MX Linux (AHS edition) on a Ryzen 7900X CPU, just using the integrated graphics at the moment. A big part of the reason for that is because MX Linux was the first distro I tried (and liked) with GPU drivers that worked correctly out of the box. I don't know about MPC-HC on other distros.

PlayOnLinux comes with various components that it'll install in Wine for you. I installed d3dx11, d3d9_4.7 and the VideoDriver. Maybe I need something else for hardware acceleration as I'm a Linux beginner, but the new CPU can decode the video I watch while it's almost idling anyway. HDR isn't a Linux thing yet, which I don't care about anyway and I don't know if it'll work through Wine. I doubt it.

I was wrong about MPC-HC not being able to open Avisynth scripts. I must have been doing something dumb yesterday because it's working.

The MPC-HC issues....

- I couldn't fix the Options display problem I asked about in my earlier post.
- The EVR renderer doesn't work.
- VMR 9 outputs limited range levels but if you need full range you can force LAV Filters to output full range RGB.
- The MPC Video Renderer works well and outputs full range levels. PlayOnLinux has a command prompt option so you can install it that way. I've only tried this version.
- The seek preview doesn't display correctly and causes MPC-HC to decide the MPC Video Renderer hasn't loaded every time you open a video, even though it does. I never enable the seek preview anyway.
- Stepping forward one frame at a time doesn't work even though you can step backwards.
- If you close MPC-HC while a video is open, PlayOnLinux thinks it's crashed, but if you close the video first it's fine.

I might give MPC-BE a spin soon to see how that goes, but for watching video, MPC-HC is working well enough despite the issues above. I probably had almost as many issues running it on XP in the end anyway.

The other Windows programs I'm running in Wine can be see in the screenshot I've linked to below. MKVToolnixGUI is only there so gMKVExtractGUI will work, and MediaInfo is there for giggles, but I normally use the native Linux versions. I've yet to have any success getting a program requiring a version of dot net to work, but the programs in the screenshot are running well. Avisynth and ffdshow are also installed and working but only the ones for which I created shortcuts are shown.
PlayOnLinux puts the shortcuts it creates on the desktop and adding them to the start menu correctly myself was an adventure the first time I had to do it, but now I know how.

(the video only looks blurred because I paused it during a camera pan)
https://i.imgur.com/p79Oqnx.png

I'm still got a few programs running on Win11 in VirtualBox. I had Win11 installed in a dual boot setup for a while but I don't need it. VirtualBox can be disconnected from the internet so Windows can't update itself whenever it feels like it, but even that's not too important because a virtual machine is just 4 files you can backup and restore if something goes wrong.

https://i.imgur.com/lDmNpES.png

Last edited by hello_hello; 7th June 2023 at 09:01.
Old 7th June 2023, 08:43   #1970  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
I think it is better to run a player on Linux that was compiled natively. VLC, MPV will both use hardware acceleration natively there. You can use custom front-ends for MPV, e.g. Haruna, Celluloid, SMPlayer, etc.
Yeah I've moved to SMPlayer now, but for years when I've needed to quickly find a frame number in a video or a script, I've just opened it in MPC-HC and used the Navigation menu to get it. SMPlayer displays the position in time but not the frame number, unless I just haven't discovered how to find it, but when I had some time to kill I thought I'd see if MPC-HC would actually work.
Old 7th June 2023, 13:13   #1971  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
The MPC-HC issues with WINE:
- I couldn't fix the Options display problem I asked about in my earlier post.
- The EVR renderer doesn't work.
- VMR 9 outputs limited range levels but if you need full range you can force LAV Filters to output full range RGB.
- The MPC Video Renderer works well and outputs full range levels. PlayOnLinux has a command prompt option so you can install it that way. I've only tried this version.
- The seek preview doesn't display correctly and causes MPC-HC to decide the MPC Video Renderer hasn't loaded every time you open a video, even though it does. I never enable the seek preview anyway.
- Stepping forward one frame at a time doesn't work even though you can step backwards.
- If you close MPC-HC while a video is open, PlayOnLinux thinks it's crashed, but if you close the video first it's fine.
You might be using an old version of WINE if EVR isn't working, because afaik they implemented that at least partially. Or maybe it needs to be installed separately. Seek preview uses EVR.
I think they do support DXVA2 now as well, but you may need to install extra components for that. Or update WINE.
Framestep is something they probably didn't implement yet in their DirectShow code. Backwards step is a seek, not an actual step.
Old 7th June 2023, 19:07   #1972  |  Link
Sunspark

@hello_hello: As long as you're having fun. If you want to try this one instead, you might find that it has good support for a bunch of stuff that you're trying to do. https://nobaraproject.org/ MX is good, but this one is put together by a Red Hat engineer that puts together the Wine packages, so worth taking a look at.
Old 7th June 2023, 23:37   #1973  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
You might be using an old version of WINE if EVR isn't working, because afaik they implemented that at least partially. Or maybe it needs to be installed separately. Seek preview uses EVR.
I think they do support DXVA2 now as well, but you may need to install extra components for that. Or update WINE.
Framestep is something they probably didn't implement yet in their DirectShow code. Backwards step is a seek, not an actual step.
Thanks. Yes, it looks like the version of Wine included with MX Linux is 6.22-staging. The latest x86 version included with PlayOnLinux is 7.22 and 6.17-staging for the amd64 version. I've been using the Distro version, so I'll upgrade and try again.

Quote:
@hello_hello: As long as you're having fun. If you want to try this one instead, you might find that it has good support for a bunch of stuff that you're trying to do. https://nobaraproject.org/ MX is good, but this one is put together by a Red Hat engineer that puts together the Wine packages, so worth taking a look at.
Interesting. Thanks. Fortunately the hard drive where Win11 used to be installed is fairly free, so sometime soon I'll put Nobara on that and see how I go.
Old 9th June 2023, 23:19   #1974  |  Link
butterw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterw2 View Post
With intel i3-12100 (uhd730), I have following issues with mpc-hc (all versions) in default evr-cp mode:
1) after reaching the end of the video, when seeking back the picture remains frozen and only the sound plays. I need to Stop to return to normal operation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
1) Only happens with Intel crap drivers. I don't have the hardware to reproduce or fix.
correction: 1) this problem with Intel UHD Graphics 730 (driver version: 31.0.101.4369) doesn't exist with mpc-hc v1.9.8.157 and prior, but does affect recent builds of mpc-hc.
I could narrow it down further if it helps.
butterw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2023, 23:40   #1975  |  Link
clsid

Then you need to test 1.9.8.159 (and newer) until you find the first version with the problem.

Also test with hardware decoding disabled.

Last edited by clsid; 9th June 2023 at 23:45.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2023, 06:49   #1976  |  Link
hello_hello

I installed Nobara Linux and gave it a spin. It's quite a nice distro. I'll definitely be going back to it, if for no other reason than it comes with Vapoursynth installed. I've attempted to install Vapoursynth unsuccessfully on three Linux distros and ended up stuck in dependency hell each time, so having it pre-installed is a big bonus.

I upgraded Wine to 8.9 staging through the distro's installers on both Nobara and MX Linux, although I'm a bit confused because on Nobara the Wine configuration had an extra staging tab whereas the version on MX Linux doesn't. On MX Linux it appears DXVA2 does something (without adding anything to Wine or changing the configuration other than setting it to emulate Windows 11). I'll have a play with it on Nobara Linux sometime soon to see if it works the same way there. The quick test I had time for indicates it probably does.

This will probably have to turn into a minor MPC-HC vs MPC-BE moment, because they behave differently, but it'll take someone who knows more about this stuff than I do to understand why.

- With D3D11 enabled for the MPC Video Renderer, MPC-HC displays a blank video while MPC-BE is fine.
- Unless I restrict LAV to outputting 8 bit in MPC-HC, it displays a blank video. MPC-BE is fine with 10 bit (my display is 8 bit).
- EVR still doesn't work. MPC-BE says it's not installed at all, so maybe that's the case.
- The issue with displaying MPC-HC's Options persists, but it's only for the player's options. The LAV filters and the renderer options display normally.
- The video levels are now limited range when using the MPC Video Renderer rather than full range as before. That's easily corrected by using a pixel shader to expand the levels (I tried forcing LAV to output full range RGB but it resulted in a blank video, so I modified the default pixel shader).
- There's rarely a "MPC-HC has crashed" error message from Wine when the player is closed with a video open now, as long as D3D11 isn't enabled for the renderer or in LAV filters, but that turned out to be because the mpc-hc64 process often remains running after the GUI closes. At least that's the same it is as for Windows .
- For MPC-HC, LAV filters never indicates any of the hardware decoding methods are working and the info being displayed doesn't change even when I enable it, so I'm not sure if DXVA2 decoding is being used. Someone will have to interpret the screenshot below for me.
- For MPC-BE, Wine produces a fatal "divide by zero" exception when DXVA2 hardware decoding is enabled. Enabling D3D11 instead results in a blank video, but D3D11 copy back is okay. I still don't know how to confirm there is hardware decoding taking place though.

So for me, any working configuration for MPC-HC always displays this:
https://imgur.com/ibOdGpZ.png

While for MPC-BE, it's this:
https://imgur.com/njATB3e.png

Last edited by hello_hello; 10th June 2023 at 18:41. Reason: spelling
Old 10th June 2023, 08:42   #1977  |  Link
Sunspark

Second link doesn't work + it's Nobara.

As for how to tell if hardware is being used, it's tricky because different cards have different methods to tell. On the Deck which uses an AMD APU, there was no accessible way other than doing the shift-I option in MPV for the HUD to see if hardware decoding was active, but more easily with other players that don't have a HUD was to have system monitor running and look at the CPU usage.. if it was high with 1 player but low on another for the same file, then hardware wasn't being used for the high one. Control-H in MPV to toggle hardware decoding on or off.

If lav is saying avcodec, it's software decoding.

On the Windows install that I played around with on the Deck, video levels were off in most renderers (blacks were grey) due to screwy drivers (that didn't have hardware decoding support) but mpcvr in software rendering the levels were fine so no pixel shader was needed. Still, unless you're running 4K videos, it's probably best to use software rendering in general for quality reasons. Hardware decoding of the file, may or may not matter depending on how powerful your CPU is.. so see what numbers you're getting on system monitor.

Your questions are too difficult in general to answer, because at the end of the day, what you're doing can't be supported by clsid or the BE guys because it's not even Windows.

Is it only frame numbering that you're after instead of using a native player?

Last edited by Sunspark; 10th June 2023 at 08:51.
Old 10th June 2023, 12:47   #1978  |  Link
butterw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterw2 View Post
correction: 1) this problem with Intel UHD Graphics 730 (driver version: 31.0.101.4369) doesn't exist with mpc-hc v1.9.8.157 and prior, but does affect recent builds of mpc-hc.
I could narrow it down further if it helps.
correction #2: it isn't in fact a version problem, it seems more related to config.

I typ use .ini config and mpc-hc doesn't show up as installed.
if I rename mpc-hc64.exe to mpc.exe + the same renamed config file >> OK.

I've also tried this: launch mpc-hc64.exe (v2.0.0.37) , disable ini config, misc/reset settings >> KO
rename to mpcz.exe >> OK
butterw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2023, 16:07   #1979  |  Link
clsid

That means that the graphics driver has an application profile specific for the applications name. Tell Intel to fix their damn drivers...
Or you have done some stupid Windows compatibility mode settings...
Old 10th June 2023, 18:28   #1980  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Second link doesn't work
Are you sure?

Quote:
+ it's Nobara.
Odd. I'm usually only a bit dyslexic with numbers.

Quote:
If lav is saying avcodec, it's software decoding.
It always shows avcodec.
As I said earlier I don't really care whether hardware decoding works, as the CPU can easily decode everything I watch, so playing around with that was more about finding something to help pass the time while I wait to get old and die.

Quote:
Your questions are too difficult in general to answer, because at the end of the day, what you're doing can't be supported by clsid or the BE guys because it's not even Windows.
That's fair enough.

Quote:
Is it only frame numbering that you're after instead of using a native player?
Pretty much. I'm watching a movie using SMPlayer while I type this.
I have VirtualDub2 running via Wine now anyway, so I can use that for finding frame numbers instead. It might even be easier once it's become a habit. Getting VirtualDub2 to work was as simple as copying it to Wine's "C drive" and creating a shortcut to run it.

Now I'm bored with the MPC-HC adventure, I'll see if I can get any dot net programs to run with the latest version of Wine, and then I'll have Nobara to play with to help pass some time.

Cheers.