Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 19th August 2008, 02:51   #701  |  Link
tobinaka

May I introduce Japanese current patches here? Sorry for the bother, but I thought this thread best to tell you them. Though I'm just a Japanese x264 user, not a programmer, I want to tell you about them because I've not found them in the forum. The author gave me OK.

In Japan, Seraphy's builds may be the most popular because he provides them also as x264 GUI plug-ins for AviUtl. (AviUtl is a video editor free-software developed by KEN and is very popular in Japan. I'll explain it more on a proper thread If you want.)

Seraphy's builds have 3 version: no-patched, MixAQ and OreAQ. There is no need for talking about no-patched one. The other two are applied particular AQ patches in addition to common ones (thread_pool, selectable arranged QNS, Psy RDO, ME-prepass, RDO by DeathTheSheep, new B-frame dicision, updated arranged vaq2mod_fgo). The difference between the latter two versions is just which patches is selected for AQ. Both AQ patches were made for encoding animes.

MixAQ:

MixAQ mixes VAQ and Halli's AQ. In a word, MixAQ is -VAQ +HAQ. My understanding of VAQ is that VAQ allocates bits more to flat area and less to changeful area. But that is when --aq-strength has a positive value. If the negative value is possible for --aq-strength? Seraphy tried it and then saw VAQ with negative values allocated bits less to flat area and more to changeful area. That is good to encode animes. And what is more, worried for execive cut-down and allocating shortage, he added Haali's AQ for support. Finally, MixAQ makes -VAQ allow HAQ to allocate bits more to bright blue area and dark area. To use MixAQ, set --aq2-strength and --aq2-sensitivity for HAQ in addition. It's possible to use only VAQ by setting --aq2-strength 0.

OreAQ:

OreAQ is also a arranged mod from VAQ and HAQ, but is different from MixAQ ("Ore" means "I" in Japanese.) OreAQ is focused on luma and chroma, especially on the former. OreAQ classifies MBs into 4 types: Bright, Middle, Dark, M.Dark (maybe stand for Mega-Dark). OreAQ tends to lower or keep QPs with middle luma to protect gradations. About the others, it lowers QPs only when necessary and basically raises QPs. That is because color noises stand out rather than gradations in areas of high and low lumas. Chroma values are used for diciding whether QPs need to lower or not. The luma of M.Dark MB is near or at zero, so we can hardly see anything there even if there is any color noise. Thus, OreAQ raises QPs at M.Dark MBs. OreAQ is good to encode animes, and more bit-economical than MixAQ maybe.

You can get Seraphy's builds and their diffs here. "x264patch" includes MixAQ, 7 common patches I described above, and their diffs. "x264OreAQ" includes OreAQ, 7 common patches and OreAQ diff. The files "x264gui.auo" and "x264gui.ini" are the plug-ins for AviUtl.

Since rev928, he has added --aq-debug option to both patched versions. This puts the log of QP's variations caused by AQ and enable us to see the changes on AviUtl. It's also possible to simulate AQ changes moving --aq-strength and --aq-sensitivity up and down. That is very useful but needs futher explanations as this post is already long enough.

As x264 builds by Japanese, VFR maniac's Experimental builds are available, too. That includes MixAQ and OreAQ. MixAQ is his idea.

I hope you are interested in Japanese usages and this post contribute to x264's discussions. Thanks!

Last edited by tobinaka; 19th August 2008 at 03:43. Reason: English cosmetics and 3% faster reading
tobinaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 03:07   #702  |  Link
elguaxo

sounds interesting. thanks tobinaka!
elguaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 09:06   #703  |  Link
bob0r
Pain and suffering

x264.938.modified.01.exe
libx264-61.938.modified.01.dll

x264-psyrd-0.6.diff (on by default, adjust with: --psy-rd)
x264.new.bframes.decision.04.diff (highly experimental, enabled with: --b-adapt 2)
x264_hrd_pulldown.09_interlace.diff
x264.progress.indication.01.diff
bob0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 10:05   #704  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob0r View Post
x264.938.modified.01.exe
libx264-61.938.modified.01.dll

x264-psyrd-0.6.diff (on by default, adjust with: --psy-rd)
x264.new.bframes.decision.04.diff (highly experimental, enabled with: --b-adapt 2)

thx bob0r
G_M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 10:50   #705  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinaka
As x264 builds by Japanese, VFR maniac's Experimental builds are available, too. That includes MixAQ and OreAQ. MixAQ is his idea.
I just downloaded this build, and it have four different AQ's, FGO, PsyRD+Psy Trellis. I definitly must try this on some very low bitrate
shon3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 19:12   #706  |  Link
skystrife

r940 has been reported to have a bad threading issue. Please revert to using r938 for the time being.

x264.940.modified.exe - Alternate Download
libx264-61.940.modified.dll - Alternate Download

Patches used:

x264_psy_rdo_0.6.diff
x264_new_bframe_decision_04.diff <-- This patch is highly experimental, only enabled with --b-adapt 2.

All patches are included with the source.

gcc 3.4.5 fprofiled build.

Last edited by skystrife; 21st August 2008 at 01:50.
skystrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 19:32   #707  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

thanks. got it's way into megui auto-update.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 00:14   #708  |  Link
tobinaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by elguaxo View Post
sounds interesting. thanks tobinaka!
Thanks for your quick reply. MixAQ is really interesting and worth trying. If you can, take your time to entertain their accumulated improvements.
I've found MixAQ wise because If I want I can use normal VAQ on MixAQ. In this way, MixAQ can deal with encoding both animes and non-animes like live-actions better than normal VAQ.

-to use -VAQ+HAQ: --aq-strength <negative> --aq2-strength <positive>
e.g.) --aq-strength -1.0 --aq2-strength 0.7

-to use only normal VAQ: --aq-strength <positive> --aq2-strength <zero>
e.g.) --aq-strength 1.0 --aq2-strength 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon3i View Post
I just downloaded this build, and it have four different AQ's, FGO, PsyRD+Psy Trellis. I definitly must try this on some very low bitrate
As you know, Japanese are good for dealing with something low like cars of low-fuel consumption.

Anyway, VFR maniac's Experimental builds is really experimental as its name. He's built them to check for conflicts among codes of official and patches as well as seeing how they affect speed/output. He's made MixAQ and OreAQ really both stable and reliable. His advantages appear on the info.txt in his builds. He subdivides diffs by functions: his improving zones, Seraphy's correct stack alignment, etc.

Not only that, he's noticed some bugs in official opitions. At any rate, see VFR maniac's site, read his comments in english. But they should be talked about on another proper thread.

Last edited by tobinaka; 21st August 2008 at 00:23. Reason: cosmetics: English
Old 21st August 2008, 00:20   #709  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinaka View Post
Anyway, VFR maniac's Experimental builds is really experimental as its name. He's built them to check for conflicts among codes of official and patches as well as seeing how they affect speed/output. He's made MixAQ and OreAQ really both stable and reliable. His advantages appear on the info.txt in his builds. He subdivides diffs by functions: his improving zones, Seraphy's correct stack alignment, etc.

Not only that, he's noticed some bugs in official opitions. At any rate, see VFR maniac's site, read his comments in english. But they should be talked about in another proper thread.
It would be nice if such people made the minimal effort to submit patches to the developers rather than relying on the faint hope that someone else will do it for them (or, as I have seen in some places, believing that the official developers don't care about them and therefore monopolizing the patches...)

And language is not an excuse, we have multiple Japanese speakers in the official IRC channel, including (afaik) akupenguin himself.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 01:48   #710  |  Link
CruNcher

MixAQ sounds great indeed exactly what i thought off when we discussed VAQ way back then (tough DS said it isn't possible to mix them, so nice to see that someone pulled it of)
Now we have to see how it does Visualy compared vs VAQ alone, tough wouldn't HAQ interfer heavily with VAQ in --aq-mode 2 now ?

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 21st August 2008 at 02:04.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 01:50   #711  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

x264 r940 is broken with threads > 1. i already reverted the megui auto-update to r938. so even the modified patched builds are affected. x264 devs are working on a fix.
sadly the r940 was up on the megui auto-update for few hours. so i hope it didnt give too much headaches to megui users.
im really sorry, it's totally my fault. in the future i will test the builds using multiple threads (i usually do it with 1 thread) before uploading them into the auto-update server.

edit: r941 has just been commited with a fix.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 21st August 2008 at 02:04.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 02:04   #712  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
x264 r940 is broken with threads > 1. i already reverted the megui auto-update to r938. so even the modified patched builds are affected. x264 devs are working on a fix.
sadly the r940 was up on the megui auto-update for few hours. so i hope it didnt give too much headaches to megui users.
im really sorry, it's totally my fault. in the future i will test the builds using multiple threads (i usually do it with 1 thread) before uploading them into the auto-update server.
No, its my fault for not testing threads before I committed the fix (and a tiny bit akupengiun's for not noticing it when he approved my commit of the patch).

Its fixed though.
Old 21st August 2008, 02:10   #713  |  Link
tobinaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
It would be nice if such people made the minimal effort to submit patches to the developers rather than relying on the faint hope that someone else will do it for them (or, as I have seen in some places, believing that the official developers don't care about them and therefore monopolizing the patches...)

And language is not an excuse, we have multiple Japanese speakers in the official IRC channel, including (afaik) akupenguin himself.
I agree. Certainly it's efficient that one to bring it up should come it into action. If I could write codes, I would, but regrettably I can't. About other Japanese, wait for a moment. Even my introductions here must be unusual until now. I've seen they have felt thier patches little worth for Doom9's Forum developers. I've never felt so, then I introduced them here... I really agree with you, Dark Shikari. My postings are partially to encourage them. But it needs some time and steps.

In Japan, free-software developments in a group are still uncommon. I would have to say that SourceFourge.jp has only begun even if it launched in 2002. Many tools have been developed privately, and anonymous users have discussed on them in 2ch-forum and so on. That's paticular... often inefficient... but that's Japanese common style. Open-sourced projects are still less fashionalbe in Japan. Then, many Japanese free-software developers are not used to joining and discussing in Doom9's-Forum-like forums. The same can be said for IRC. Not to monopolize their patches.

Actually, language is not an excute. Even my poor English has been read kindly by you all (Thanks a lot!!). And I found the official IRC really easy to join and discuss on when I tried it, even I've not known akupenguin could use Japanese. The problem should be customs. That makes things difficult. But things must be better gradually, then the different cultures will make things interesting. You're right. But it needs some time and steps, like this discussions between you and I. I'll promote Japanese developers to join the official discussions. For now, consider their patches.
Old 21st August 2008, 02:15   #714  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinaka View Post
Actually, language is not an excute. Even my poor English has been read kindly by you all (Thanks a lot!!).
Poor English? Your English is quite good; slightly awkward at times but overall very good for a non-native speaker. I don't think you have to worry about not being understood
Old 21st August 2008, 02:36   #715  |  Link
skystrife

x264.941.modified.exe - Alternate Download
libx264-61.941.modified.dll - Alternate Download

Patches used:

x264_psy_rdo_0.6.diff
x264_new_bframe_decision_04.diff <-- This patch is highly experimental, only enabled with --b-adapt 2.

Old 21st August 2008, 06:03   #716  |  Link
kemuri-_9
Compiling Encoder

working on patching r942, due to the whitespace cosmetic changes, ended up having to use the -l option in patch (ignore whitespace distinctions) to get them to apply without rejections.
just as a heads up for the others.
Old 21st August 2008, 06:45   #717  |  Link
skystrife

x264.942.modified.exe - Alternate Download
libx264-61.942.modified.dll - Alternate Download

Patches used:

x264_psy_rdo_0.6.diff

Old 21st August 2008, 09:00   #718  |  Link
G_M_C

This is probably a very obvious question .... but .... what's the .DLL for ?
G_M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 09:19   #719  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama
Solaris: burnt by the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post
This is probably a very obvious question .... but .... what's the .DLL for ?
stuff like ffmpeg and avidemux
Shinigami-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 12:59   #720  |  Link
skystrife

r946 won't fprofile properly on my end with the patches I have been using in my previous builds. x264 randomly will "stop working."

Does this happen for anyone else?

Tags
h.264, x264, x264 builds, x264 patches, x264 unofficial builds