Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 26th April 2006, 19:14   #841  |  Link
stax76

MeGUI puts --direct in the cmdl even with 0 B-Frames. Shouldn't the direct switch only be used if B-Frames > 0. I got a profile converter with code generator that puts a reference to MeGUI and StaxRip and invokes the command line generator of both applications in order to verify if both application generate identical command lines for all of sharktooth's profiles and the CQ-Lossless profiles produces a mismatch because my code look like:

If bframes > 0 Then cmdl += " --direct...
Old 26th April 2006, 20:25   #842  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

fixed in 0.2.3.2130.
Old 27th April 2006, 11:19   #843  |  Link
bob0r
Pain and suffering

2130 (fatal error)

Bitrate Calculator:

Tools/Bitrate Calculator > In audio track (1 or 2) fill in size (kb or mb does not matter) > go to top, try to increase hours, minutes or seconds, and you get this error:

Old 27th April 2006, 19:41   #844  |  Link
CruNcher

Is anything known about a Memory overflow problem with Megui ? I did ten HD 1920x800 encodes in the queue and after that Windows told me that the swapfile needs to be increased hmm then i looked @ the memory usage of Megui and i was shocked 1.8 GB !!!! shouldn't .NET free the used memory instantly again ? "garbage collector" , couldn't start the 11 encode after restarting megui everything was fine again (memory was freed comit charge back on a normal level) build was 0.2.3.2129.

[OT]
Sorry but Memory Controll seems to be bad with .Net, every application i saw till today is so bad @ it and everything gets slowed down and a memory hog (unless it's a .Net cli app) for Video applications stability is esential, even for a Gui and this doesn't look stable to me. For example ATIs Catalyst Controll Center it's the plain horror but anywaysy Nvidia want's to move to .Net also in the future, were are we heading to if all future developers don't learn how to use the resources of the pc efficiently (and trust some monopol runtime compilers) i fear that in the future people as Picard gonna be very few (working in those monopol firms) and everyone else is blindly trusting Microsoft and .Net geez what for a Future.
Look @ apps like Mediacoder it's gui is not the nicest but it's fast reacting done completly in win32api and has no memory problems, so please all kids reading this don't just trust your runtime compilers, instead learn how to use c(++) and win32api and if you really wana be a freak in the future there is still ASM
It doesn't really suprise me that Vista needs so much memory with so much .Net stuff working native inside it :P
Just look http://www.mufflastig.com for example what for wonderfull applications you can do with just win32api
[/OT]

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 27th April 2006 at 20:30.
Old 27th April 2006, 21:09   #845  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

I wouldn't think that megui would be sucking up that much in the first place. Since nothing is actually done in megui. Each individual application does the work. With the exception of perhaps audio encoding.

From just a small tes the basic megui app take sup around 17MB of memory. Everytime it does an action it increases by 1-3MB. Running an encode it gains 3MB on initial start but does not gain anything else until the end of the encode.

If you could narrow down under what conditions your system gains the most memory usage and what your trying to do it could help narrow down the search for a solution.
Old 28th April 2006, 06:40   #846  |  Link
CruNcher

Here is the Memory usage after the first encode

Commit Charge Before was 24% now set @ 44% if i would start another encode it would go higher and higher before swaping and then BOOOM

It is about Time

Last edited by CruNcher; 28th April 2006 at 07:07.
Old 28th April 2006, 16:10   #847  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

After looking at that I would have to say there is something wrong with your setup. That memory usage looks like that of x264.exe but that is a separate process and would be cleared when the application finished.

I'll run some more tests to see if I can reproduce the memory leakage.
Old 28th April 2006, 18:26   #848  |  Link
Carpo

if you have 512-600 meg of ram that may be an issue - when i have done encodes to either x264 or dvd the mem usage is always high (with cce it has even hit a gig of mem)
Old 28th April 2006, 18:57   #849  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Here's how MeGUI could potentially leak memory:
not cleaning up forms properly. Most forms should be properly closed after dimzon's intervention. Then we have open I/O resources.. the file parts should be okay, but stdout/stderr readers may not be closed. That cannot account for a massive memory usage though but it's something that can be improved to be more resource friendly in the future.

There's no net and db connections.

Which leaves interop, but if there were a problem in that area, it should happen when you play around with the various preview dialogues as they use unsafe code and interop. So if you open a preview, play around it, play the movie for a while, then close it, if there's a leak you should see a significant increase of memory use.

And that's about it. When a .NET app launches a process, initially the memory the new process allocates is counted toward's the managed app's memory but that's not really correct. The two processes should "separate" after a few seconds though.
Old 28th April 2006, 20:19   #850  |  Link
CruNcher

apropo forms yeah some odditiy i encountered also was as i changed something in a profile and clicked on ok it doesn't seem ed to get saved i clicked on config again and it looked like the same as before the setting change and also the profile tab @ the main menu doesn't seem to be correctly linked to the config dialog one, if you set the video profile in the main window and then go to the config it doesn't load that profile but displays a empty listbox (very strange behaviour).

It is about Time

Old 28th April 2006, 20:21   #851  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

see the first post.... it's already in the list
Old 28th April 2006, 20:44   #852  |  Link
stax76

@CruNcher

I'm thinking it must be your setup because somebody else would have reported this before. You said you are a programmer (you don't program .NET as it seems) so maybe you can provide enough information to find the reason, the usual tactics apply.
Old 7th May 2006, 02:48   #853  |  Link
mlmll

New bug: fatal error, protected memory read or write attempt

Symptom: see screen capture (french part says what's in post title):

Steps to reproduce: just loading an avs script.

Content of avs script:
Code:
DirectShowSource("C:\path_to_vob\VIDEO_TS\VTS_08_1.VOB",fps=25,audio=false)
#blank deinterlace line
crop( 0, 10, -2, -10)

#resize
#denoise
Note: mentioned VTS_08_1.VOB is a 3.57GB file, ripped with DVDDecrypter

Thanks for any hint.

edit: tried with latest 2.5 AviSynth version (2.5.6), the problem remains.

Last edited by mlmll; 7th May 2006 at 02:53.
Old 7th May 2006, 03:57   #854  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

version of megui?
Old 7th May 2006, 05:21   #855  |  Link
mlmll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross
version of megui?
Oh yes, sorry. 0.2.3.2132. But I get this with 0.2.3.2125 too.
Old 7th May 2006, 05:47   #856  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmll
Code:
DirectShowSource("C:\path_to_vob\VIDEO_TS\VTS_08_1.VOB",fps=25,audio=false)
#blank deinterlace line
crop( 0, 10, -2, -10)

#resize
#denoise
Looks like a problem with the AviSynth script. It should really be

Code:
MPEG2Source("C:\path_to_vob\VIDEO_TS\VTS_08_1.d2v")
#blank deinterlace line
crop( 0, 10, -2, -10)

#resize
#denoise
From the looks of it, though, you got MeGUI to generate it, so MeGUI must be generating them incorrectly (I think it must have been my commit where I added DirectShowSource support for any file). I'll look into it later, but for the time being you should be able to get it to work by going Tools->D2V creator, selecting your VOB file, checking 'load sources when completed' and telling iit to run. Then you can generate your avisynth script from that.
Old 7th May 2006, 09:20   #857  |  Link
mlmll

Thanks berrinam ! I did what you said and now I get this fatal error:

Do I miss some plugin or something ?
Old 7th May 2006, 16:42   #858  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

I get megui to crash when I use v0.2.3.2132-Stable and create an avisynth script from an AVI source. I first get a message about there being no function called directshowsource (shouldn't it load as AVISource?) then megui crashes.

The AVI file in question has the following specs. as reported by mediainfo.

Video #0
Codec : DivX 3 Low
Bit rate : 751 Kbps
Width : 320
Height : 240
Aspect ratio : 4/3
Frame rate : 10 fps
(Pixel*Frame) : 0.978

Audio #0
Codec : MPEG1/2 L3
Info : MPEG1 or 2 Audio Layer 3
Bit rate : 24 Kbps
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Sampling rate : 22 KHz
Old 7th May 2006, 18:22   #859  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

AVI's should be loaded using AVISOURCE. but that's not how it is currently written. It uses directshowsource for all sources not call .d2v.

your probbaly missing the directshowsource plugin which is why it gives that error. Also if you try loading it with avisource and it still fails you may need to enable a correct decoder for it as it's not playable by either xvid or the current divx.

Check the divx forum for more info (it's in a sticky)
Old 7th May 2006, 20:11   #860  |  Link
berrinam

It is better to use DirectShowSource, because (aside from the unreliable system) many more codecs are supported, and thus many more files are supported. If you don't have directshowsource, then you might also be running on an old version of AviSynth, since it comes with DSS.
Closed Thread