Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 30th December 2010, 22:12   #10681  |  Link
IVaN_000

I made a backup of Robin Hood with v0.36.09. To achieve the best picture quality I disabled "Automatic quality settings", and set "Highest (very slow)". Indeed, it took about 18 hours to complete in a quad core Athlon. Now the movie looks amazing, can't tell the difference from the original disc (it's about 46 GB). But some of the extras don't look fine, the trailers look like they got bad interlaced (you know, when you can see the horizontal lines, especially on moving scenes), and the 720x480 extras look very compressed. I won't process it again, but I would like to know what should I change in the settings to avoid that problem in the future. This is my .INI:

[Options]
VERSION=0.36.0.9
MODE=0
ENCODE_QUALITY=3
ONEPASS_ENCODING=0
AUTO_QUALITY=0
TARGET_SIZE=23500
AUDIO_TO_KEEP=eng;spa;
SUBS_TO_KEEP=eng;spa;
SD_CONVERT=0
OPEN_GOP=0
RESIZE_1080=0
DEINTERLACE=0
SD_TO_1080=0
CONVERT_WIDE=0
DTS_REENCODE=1
AC3_REENCODE=0
AC3_640=1
AC3_192=0
KEEP_HD_AUDIO=0
AVCHD=0
REMOVE_WORKFILES=0
MOVIE_ONLY_LOOP=1
REMOVE_OUTPUT=0
USE_FILTERS=0
BDMV_CERT_ONLY=1
USE_LAVF=0
IVTC_PULLDOWN=1
ASSUME_DVD_PAL=0
AUDIO_TRACK_LIMIT=0
SUBTITLE_TRACK_LIMIT=0
CUSTOM_TARGET_SIZE=23450
QUICK_EXTRAS=0
IVaN_000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 22:41   #10682  |  Link
omegaman7

Jdobbs, here is the INF. It is very difficult to still image a comparison, so you're just gonna have to take my word for it. It's a shame Virtual dub doesn't like the M2TS files. At least my version...
There is definitely a substantial difference between original and encoded backup, in the dark scenes. A kind of red/blue/green glow effect. Not sure how else to explain this. From 53:23 - 53:40 is where I first noticed the visual problem.

And now I've ran yet another test LOL! I streamed the compressed version to my primary computer, and it looks fine(DVI). My secondary employs a VGA port(Same resolution of 1920 x 1200). But the original uncompressed plays just fine through VGA. My guess is, that the compressed color/dark values don't play nice with the VGA port, where as through DVI they do. Does this make sense? But my longer encode of Knight And Day plays fine over VGA. Because the color values are different? Well... here is the INF anyway(Fastest Settings). I think I've made an interesting discovery anyhow. And I'll no longer test my results on the secondary, until I have it running off a proper DVI port LOL!
Attached Files
File Type: zip KNIGHT_AND_DAY.zip (728 Bytes, 1 views)
omegaman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 22:49   #10683  |  Link
colinhunt

A quick question: a BD has a movie in 1080i and at 29.97fps. I know it's originally shot on film at 23.976fps. How do I set BD-RB up to output 1080p23.976 from this source?
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 22:55   #10684  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVaN_000 View Post
I made a backup of Robin Hood with v0.36.09. To achieve the best picture quality I disabled "Automatic quality settings", and set "Highest (very slow)". Indeed, it took about 18 hours to complete in a quad core Athlon. Now the movie looks amazing, can't tell the difference from the original disc (it's about 46 GB). But some of the extras don't look fine, the trailers look like they got bad interlaced (you know, when you can see the horizontal lines, especially on moving scenes), and the 720x480 extras look very compressed. I won't process it again, but I would like to know what should I change in the settings to avoid that problem in the future. This is my .INI:

[Options]
VERSION=0.36.0.9
MODE=0
ENCODE_QUALITY=3
ONEPASS_ENCODING=0
AUTO_QUALITY=0
TARGET_SIZE=23500
AUDIO_TO_KEEP=eng;spa;
SUBS_TO_KEEP=eng;spa;
SD_CONVERT=0
OPEN_GOP=0
RESIZE_1080=0
DEINTERLACE=0
SD_TO_1080=0
CONVERT_WIDE=0
DTS_REENCODE=1
AC3_REENCODE=0
AC3_640=1
AC3_192=0
KEEP_HD_AUDIO=0
AVCHD=0
REMOVE_WORKFILES=0
MOVIE_ONLY_LOOP=1
REMOVE_OUTPUT=0
USE_FILTERS=0
BDMV_CERT_ONLY=1
USE_LAVF=0
IVTC_PULLDOWN=1
ASSUME_DVD_PAL=0
AUDIO_TRACK_LIMIT=0
SUBTITLE_TRACK_LIMIT=0
CUSTOM_TARGET_SIZE=23450
QUICK_EXTRAS=0
If you're seeing that, you're probably playing it back on a PC. Most PCs suck at playing back interlaced material. The chances are that those weren't even processed and look the same on the original... most small extras (like previews/trailers) are kept intact.

Next type you may want to try selecting "Use DECOMB on Interlaced Sources" -- it will smooth those jagged edges before encoding.

Last edited by jdobbs; 30th December 2010 at 22:58.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 23:07   #10685  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinhunt View Post
A quick question: a BD has a movie in 1080i and at 29.97fps. I know it's originally shot on film at 23.976fps. How do I set BD-RB up to output 1080p23.976 from this source?
If it is telecined in a normal way, select "IVTC Sources with 3:2 pulldown" from the SETUP dialog and it will do it for you automatically.

If it is hard-telecined, then add IVTC_SELECTION=1 to your INI, and close/reopen BD-RB. Now you should be able to select "Inverse Telecine this item" by right clicking on it.

Be careful though. If it isn't truly telecined or hard-telecined it will really look terrible when you force IVTC on it. That's the reason I've made it so it is only available as a hidden option. I've run into only one movie that was 1080i at 29.97fps hard telecined -- that was "Time Bandits".

Last edited by jdobbs; 30th December 2010 at 23:10.
Old 30th December 2010, 23:09   #10686  |  Link
IVaN_000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
If you're seeing that, you're probably playing it back on a PC. Most PCs suck at playing back interlaced material.
You're right, I'm playing it with TMT 3. But I still have the original ripped in my HD, and if I play it with the same software, the untouched source looks correct.
Old 30th December 2010, 23:13   #10687  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVaN_000 View Post
You're right, I'm playing it with TMT 3. But I still have the original ripped in my HD, and if I play it with the same software, the untouched source looks correct.
That's probably because you are using a different codec when playing back the reencoded video. After the encode it is AVC -- before it was likely VC-1 or MPEG-2.
Old 30th December 2010, 23:32   #10688  |  Link
IVaN_000

Quote:
That's probably because you are using a different codec when playing back the reencoded video. After the encode it is AVC -- before it was likely VC-1 or MPEG-2.
That's probably it. As I'm no expert, I couldn't figure that out by myself. Thanks.
Old 30th December 2010, 23:37   #10689  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
If it is telecined in a normal way, select "IVTC Sources with 3:2 pulldown" from the SETUP dialog and it will do it for you automatically.
I did a High Speed test run while waiting for someone to reply. I ticked "Use Decomb" and "IVTC Sources with 3:2 Pulldown" to see what happens, and the output was 1080p29.97. Was that caused by "Use Decomb" or did BD-RB decide that the source is not suitable for inverse telecine? Oh, and I might have ticked "Use LAVF" as well.

Quote:
If it is hard-telecined, then add IVTC_SELECTION=1 to your INI, and close/reopen BD-RB. Now you should be able to select "Inverse Telecine this item" by right clicking on it.
I'll give it a shot. It only takes an hour or so to run a test in High Speed Mode

Last edited by colinhunt; 30th December 2010 at 23:39.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 23:40   #10690  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
That's an issue with the PC, not BD-RB. A program shouldn't have to say "I'm running" to the O/S that is running it.
Hmmm so yours doesn't Sleep if just a cmd.exe (like x264) is running. My Windows 7 wants apps to set the SetThreadExecutionState Function, otherwise it doesn't care if all 4 cores are cranking 100%--it will go to sleep:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

Guess I'm the only one who cares about this so "never mind then".
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 23:55   #10691  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
Hmmm so yours doesn't Sleep if just a cmd.exe (like x264) is running. My Windows 7 wants apps to set the SetThreadExecutionState Function, otherwise it doesn't care if all 4 cores are cranking 100%--it will go to sleep:

Hmmm... interesting. I've never had to worry about it so didn't give it any thought. I guess it could be different between systems depending upon how the power modes are set. It would be easy enough to set it. I'll see about putting it in the next release.
Old 31st December 2010, 00:18   #10692  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:

Done. I set it so that both display and system are needed as each encode begins. It is reset to CONTINUOUS at the end of the encode (restarting the SLEEP timer). This should keep the system from sleeping (until BD-RB is complete) no matter how you have your power options set.

Last edited by jdobbs; 31st December 2010 at 00:24.
Old 31st December 2010, 03:18   #10693  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Hmmm so yours doesn't Sleep if just a cmd.exe (like x264) is running. My Windows 7 wants apps to set the SetThreadExecutionState Function, otherwise it doesn't care if all 4 cores are cranking 100%--it will go to sleep

I had this happen to me before with Windows 7 when I first installed it, and I don't remember it ever happening with XP. I changed my power preference for hard drive to never sleep to avoid this, even though I did not like to have it set that way, just in case I forgot to set BD-RB to shut down on completion it would not continue running.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 03:51   #10694  |  Link
omegaman7

Double post....
Old 31st December 2010, 03:51   #10695  |  Link
omegaman7

I never let any of my computer components idle. And I never shut my system down. I've calculated that my electric usage is in the ballpark of 35-50$ a month. It's my belief that electrical components would prefer run around the clock. Much like a light bulb. Hot cold, hot cold, hot cold, Pop!
That's my belief on it. I have a 9 year old system that still runs perfectly
Old 31st December 2010, 04:05   #10696  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman7 View Post
I never let any of my computer components idle. And I never shut my system down. I've calculated that my electric usage is in the ballpark of 35-50$ a month. It's my belief that electrical components would prefer run around the clock. Much like a light bulb. Hot cold, hot cold, hot cold, Pop!
I leave two computers running 24x7 (one of them does encodes pretty much 90% of each day as I test discs, versions, and X264 releases). I put a kW meter on them and it costs me about $15 a month. Not bad, I think.
Old 31st December 2010, 04:22   #10697  |  Link
Priapismic

Quote:
You have, without a doubt, and without the necessary quantification if mathematics, spent more money, by many factors, on electricity, than would ever have been expended upon replacement components - assuming your premise were true which it is not, even remotely!
Using sleep cycle instead of shutdown, is far easier on modern components. Then using a cleaner, I like Ccleaner but there are many others, every few weeks or so followed by a reboot, will keep your system in good shape, at a low stress level, and (certainly in your case) at immense savings.
Your method, dubiously, might have extended the longevity of poorly made components a decade ago.
Also, the analogy to a light bulb is false; no filament exists anywhere in a PC

Last edited by Priapismic; 31st December 2010 at 04:25. Reason: revise
Priapismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 04:25   #10698  |  Link
omegaman7

Well, I was calculating my power strip as a whole LOL! I have one of those testers as well. Beautiful devices

@Priapismic, we all have our own ways. As do you apparently. I have one of the cheapest rates in the U.S. too... 7.1Cents kW/hr if memory serves. Metal in general breaks down eventually from being hot then cold. This is fact. I'll stop now

Last edited by omegaman7; 31st December 2010 at 04:28.
Old 31st December 2010, 05:54   #10699  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Well, I was calculating my power strip as a whole LOL! I have one of those testers as well. Beautiful devices

@Priapismic, we all have our own ways. As do you apparently. I have one of the cheapest rates in the U.S. too... 7.1Cents kW/hr if memory serves. Metal in general breaks down eventually from being hot then cold. This is fact. I'll stop now
Wow, definitely cheap. I'm satisfied with paying 10.67 cents/KwH (although it was 8.5 cents last year) -- on the east coast they are paying 15 cents.
Old 31st December 2010, 06:46   #10700  |  Link
omegaman7

Yes, it is very cheap. I don't actually pay the bill myself, and I'm finding it difficult to get a hold of the actual bill. The rate that I discovered is found on the meter itself on the house.
Jdobbs, your software never ceases to amaze me. I've now backed up the new Resident Evil. It looks like all went well. I'll be watching it tomorrow with my bro at the turn of the year My payday (Auto deposit) is friday/tomorrow). All of my bills are paid. Do you know what that means? It means that payday has come for you too. Keep up the good work. I know i've said similar in the past, but the time has finally arrived!
I wish you and yours a Happy new year