Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Closed Thread

Old 27th March 2007, 06:59   #201  |  Link
MatMaul

thanks for your works !

what about all the inline assembly code which can't be compiled with visual compiler (works with icl and gcc, you can use icl as compiler in visual if I remember good) and greatly improve the speed of the code ?
Old 29th March 2007, 16:45   #202  |  Link
lexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Then proper development of needed functionality will resume.
A quick Q. Are you by any chance qualified to participate in Google's Summer of Code 2007? FFmpeg project participates and one of its accepted ideas (with a mentor already assigned) for inclusion of "PAFF decoding for H.264/AVC". From what I understand there are cash to be got for completion (that would be 4500 USD for you and 500 USD for FFmpeg project). If you gonna code it anyway, might as well get paid
Old 30th March 2007, 02:42   #203  |  Link

That's interesting. The problem is that I can't drop my other responsibilities to spend full-time trying to accomplish it within some arbitrary deadline. And I'm already well-compensated for my time, so the $$$ is not a motivation for me.

Do you know who the mentor is?
Old 30th March 2007, 03:26   #204  |  Link
Revgen

It's Loren Merritt.

http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?...or_H.264.2FAVC

Curly: Burned at the stake!

Moe: Why?

Curly: A hot steak is always better than a cold chop.

Last edited by Revgen; 30th March 2007 at 03:28.
Old 2nd April 2007, 08:35   #205  |  Link
Daodan
unrecognized user

Very nice tool that got pretty good in last version. One small request though: if it's possible to implement the reference decoder in onthefly decoding also, not only to uncompressed file. I understand the reasons for this are the fact that it's incredibly slow, for tests only, not to be done again after first try, etc . But in some cases it's the only one that doesn't give any frame errors (so only solution), while the decoding done with index only still has in some cases. And of course, uncompressed is huge, so not suitable for full scale movie.
Thank you for your work so far.
Old 13th April 2007, 06:48   #206  |  Link

DGAVCDec 1.0.0 alpha 4

Time for a new alpha.

* DGAVCIndex is now a DGIndex-work-alike, i.e., you can open a file, see video, and immediately seek around and do GOP stepping without generating an index. Play, preview, frame single-stepping, and save BMP also work. Over time the grayed-out options will be implemented (where applicable) and an info dialog will be created. Stepping back by GOPs can be slow for very large GOPs, so be patient after hitting the < button.

* libavformat is no longer required.

http://neuron2.net/dgavcdec/dgavcdec100a4.zip

Solving the problem of random access without an index in AVC video was quite challenging.
Old 13th April 2007, 08:11   #207  |  Link
holzi

thank you!
Gonne test it now

Edit:
Ok seems to work good atm.
But the av*.dll still needs to be in the system dir looking forward to not have them there anymore

Last edited by holzi; 13th April 2007 at 08:39.
Old 13th April 2007, 08:52   #208  |  Link
G_M_C

Congrats on the development of this fantastic utillity, wich makes life much easier

But, i remember seeing a VC1source thread in AviSynth development, where development hit similar problems in seeking and the decoders used (libavformat in DGAVCDEC's case).

EDIT: Found the thread -> http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...917#post945917

For me as a non-programmer the problems seemed similar ... and maybe the development of VC1source could be implemented in DGAVCIndex (wich than evolves into DGHDIndex) ?

But anyway, thx for this usefull programm !

Last edited by G_M_C; 13th April 2007 at 08:56.
Old 13th April 2007, 14:37   #209  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post
But, i remember seeing a VC1source thread in AviSynth development, where development hit similar problems in seeking and the decoders used (libavformat in DGAVCDEC's case).
Actually, libavcodec.

Quote:
For me as a non-programmer the problems seemed similar ... and maybe the development of VC1source could be implemented in DGAVCIndex
The difference is that I was willing to confront the seeking issues and solve them. The VC1 development has stalled because the author is apparently unwilling to tackle it. Maybe I will do it for VC1 after DGAVCDec reaches some kind of stability.

Last edited by Guest; 13th April 2007 at 14:43.
Old 13th April 2007, 14:39   #210  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by holzi View Post
But the av*.dll still needs to be in the system dir looking forward to not have them there anymore
Don't worry, the DLLs will be going away entirely.

And if you read the help file, you will find a way to put the DLLs anywhere you like.

Last edited by Guest; 13th April 2007 at 14:43.
Old 13th April 2007, 14:41   #211  |  Link

Found a few bugs in alpha 4.

* If you play until the end, it doesn't exit play mode automatically, and you have to hit stop.

* After the above occurs, GOP stepping is buggy.
Old 13th April 2007, 20:10   #212  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Actually, libavcodec.

The difference is that I was willing to confront the seeking issues and solve them. The VC1 development has stalled because the author is apparently unwilling to tackle it. Maybe I will do it for VC1 after DGAVCDec reaches some kind of stability.
Yep, i saw your reply in that thread.

PS: I overlooked the author's remark to DGIndex though, that remark of his wasn't called for at all.
Old 14th April 2007, 07:25   #213  |  Link
Revgen

Quote:
Found a few bugs in alpha 4.

* If you play until the end, it doesn't exit play mode automatically, and you have to hit stop.

* After the above occurs, GOP stepping is buggy.
One more thing. When I drag the cursor to certain points the video, the cursor will jump around and I sometimes have to force it to go where I want it.

This is the same vid I had mentioned in an earlier post with the "green frames" problem.This shouldn't be a problem until you start implementing cut points like you have in DGIndex.

Other than that it still indexes correctly.

Curly: Burned at the stake!

Moe: Why?

Curly: A hot steak is always better than a cold chop.

Last edited by Revgen; 14th April 2007 at 07:27.
Old 14th April 2007, 13:22   #214  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revgen View Post
One more thing. When I drag the cursor to certain points the video, the cursor will jump around and I sometimes have to force it to go where I want it.
That's by design. You can navigate only to random access points, i.e., IDR frames or recovery points. When you position with the trackbar, it will then search forward for the next random access point and decode and display one frame starting from there, finally setting the trackbar position to that point. So, if your GOPs are big, you will see behavior like you describe. You can cut only at GOP boundaries anyway, so it doesn't adversely impact cutting.

DGIndex works the same way, but in MPEG2 people don't often make large GOPs like we see with AVC.
Old 15th April 2007, 22:20   #215  |  Link
J-Wo

Quote:
Rename it to "tloeg.264"

I'll fix that in the next release.
ohmigod that was the solution to all my problems! Alpha 3 gave me a strange error message (I was too lazy to copy it down) then Alpha 4 would simply crash without any error message. I guess it was the long filenames that screwed it up. Thanks!
Old 15th April 2007, 23:45   #216  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Wo View Post
ohmigod that was the solution to all my problems! Alpha 3 gave me a strange error message (I was too lazy to copy it down) then Alpha 4 would simply crash without any error message. I guess it was the long filenames that screwed it up. Thanks!
It's still broke? Please tell me the filename that doesn't work in alpha 4.
Old 16th April 2007, 00:17   #217  |  Link
J-Wo

desperate.housewives.s03e17.720p.hdtv.x264-ctu.0_Track2.h264
Old 16th April 2007, 01:05   #218  |  Link

That's strange. It works fine for me. What OS are you running? How did you open it? Drag and drop onto a shortcut to DGAVCIndex is broken, I know about that.
Old 16th April 2007, 03:01   #219  |  Link
J-Wo

I am using Windows XP. I dragged and dropped from windows explorer into DGAVCIndex, but just now I tried to open from within the program (F2) and it also crashed. I then simply renamed it to something shorter (I tried both test.264 and test.h264) and it worked. So I think there might be something wrong with long filenames, or perhaps one of those characters was causing DGAVC to crash
Old 16th April 2007, 03:14   #220  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Wo View Post
desperate.housewives.s03e17.720p.hdtv.x264-ctu.0_Track2.h264
other than the fact that this is a rule 6 issue if renaming it fixed it then it is likely that the directory index is longer then 255 characters. I have had that issue before in ituned due to my insane organization making the folder structure too long.
Closed Thread