Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20th October 2015, 11:26   #11  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I have bad news. Unfortunately, due to limitations in the Windows command prompt (CMD), it is not possible to use a network share as the BD3D2MK3D project directory, unless you map a drive letter to the folder. It's because everything in BD3D2MK3D assumes that the project files are in the "current directory" when __ENCODE_3D.cmd is launched. And, if __ENCODE_3D.cmd is somewhere on a network share, when you launch it (by double clicking it), the current directory is "C:\Windows" instead of the directory containing the CMD file.

It is even not possible to launch manually the command prompt and CD to the project directory manually. CMD issues an error message and the current directory doesn't change, as you can see:
Code:
C:\Windows\System32>cd \\192.168.0.2\LaCie
'\\192.168.0.2\LaCie'
CMD does not support UNC paths as current directories.
Therefore, you MUST assign a drive letter to the network share to launch __ENCODE_3D.cmd (or any other CMD from the project directory), or it will fail immediately because it doesn't find the project files.

However, I have fixed the bug causing the crash when the project is created, and I did a quick test (without subtitle streams). It is now possible to generate the project without problem on a network share (without the drive letter). But you will need to assign a drive letter anyway to encode and mux it. I can't change everything just to be able to use a network share for the project directory, especially because IMO it's not a good idea, and because the solution of the drive letter exists.

I will add a warning if the user tries to use a network share to explain that he will have to map a drive letter to encode the movie. I need also to verify if it is possible to convert the subtitles to 3D correctly on a network share. So, please be patient. The new version will not be available immediately...

[EDIT] Just finished a short test. I have generated a project on my Lacie. It's a short film with some subtitles. The generation of the project took 32 minutes. Out of curiosity, I have generated exactly the same project on my slowest local HDD, and it took less than 7 minutes. About 4.5 times faster! Of course, you may have a faster network than mine, but obviously, a network drive will never be as fast as a local HDD. I have not tried to encode the project yet, but that will certainly also be slower.

I have also encountered another problem with the subtitles, and I have to fix it too. I will therefore have to do another test before releasing the new version, and that tests are damn slow! ;-)

Last edited by r0lZ; 20th October 2015 at 13:25.